PDA

View Full Version : The Best Parts of Obama's Speech

Ex Post Facto
01-21-2009, 12:34 AM
I get it, everyone dislikes Obama's speech today. I found it rather moving. My principles are like most people's on this forum; however, I never think I can have it 100% my way all the time. While I would prefer it another way than what Obama puts forward as the solution I do marvel at the very least his vision. His actions in the coming years is what will sway my approval, but there are several good things his vision speaks to whether he chooses to work toward them.

Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions - who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage.

We can handle big plans. We will just ruin the economy more if we don't accept cuts in other areas at the same time we roll out our plans. Imagination is key here. Obama is the first President in recent history where the UFO community is going nuts. One of his cabinet members used to work with top secret UFO files that has stated the American people have a right to know the truth and have full disclosure. If this technology were released for good purposes we could easily return our economy in the right direction.

What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply.

He is talking about both sides of the isles here. A broken system where the government is not accountable to the people. I agree with that although I'd like to throw out the option of a third party.

The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account - to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government.

His economic plan is not the best use of resources, nor do I think it's the right way to proceed. Which programs will he end in order to offset the costs of funding massive infrastructure projects? It's an open question because we haven't seen anything that he has done with his new power.

Nor is the question before us whether the market is a force for good or ill. Its power to generate wealth and expand freedom is unmatched, but this crisis has reminded us that without a watchful eye, the market can spin out of control - and that a nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous.

Government isn't the answer, regulations aren't the answer. Transparency is though and accountability to the rule of law. Our law enforcement branches that oversee corruption have done a terrible job investigating companies for corruption related issues.

The success of our economy has always depended not just on the size of our Gross Domestic Product, but on the reach of our prosperity; on our ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart - not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.

I agree. America is a powerful nation when left untaxed and non regulated. Obama has stated he doesn't particularly like NAFTA. His change.gov website in which he promised to listen to the voices of the nation revealed War on drugs was the top issue for Americans. Hemp has many uses, uses which if allowed could revolutionize our nation and create jobs. I think we may see a surge of manufacturing jobs occur under Obama, adding to our GDP, using renewable resources like hemp.

As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our Founding Fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake.

Obama may repeal the Patriot Act and FISA wiretapping statutes against American's without proper warrants.

All of this is speculative. His record isn't indicative of these speeches, but he seems ready to accept the challenge for the people. We shouldn't jump the guy for stating his opinion. Live and Let Live. There are a lot of positive things that could come from this administration that help further the cause of liberty. Maintain our principles and help influence the change.

DirtMcGirt
01-21-2009, 12:42 AM
For whatever reason when I got through reading your post, I thought how f'n ridiculous it would be if B.O. had a moderately successful 1st term and then ran as an independent for his 2nd term. What would the sheeple do??? Peoples heads would explode...

idiom
01-21-2009, 02:57 AM
One of his cabinet members used to work with top secret UFO files that has stated the American people have a right to know the truth and have full disclosure. If this technology were released for good purposes we could easily return our economy in the right direction.

That is some serious Optimism.

Ex Post Facto
01-21-2009, 03:04 AM
That is some serious Optimism.

Yeah I know. But check out this video from his cabinet member. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvtqEkqG1M

nodope0695
01-21-2009, 03:42 AM
The best part of Obama's speach was when he shut the fuck up. Obama might be THE president, but he isn't MY president, and never will be - even if he does show us his birth certificate. Fuck him, and by the way, Michelle O. is fucking UGLY.

jkm1864
01-21-2009, 04:18 AM
the best part of obama's speach was when he shut the fuck up. Obama might be the president, but he isn't my president, and never will be - even if he does show us his birth certificate. Fuck him, and by the way, michelle o. Is fucking ugly.

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilrain
01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry, but while I understand that some people find his words inspiring, to me it just reeks of lies. That's the "problem" here. Most people on this board see through the razzle-dazzle and lofty promises and realize that they are the ones that will have to A. give up even more ownership of their own bodies (civil liberties) and B. pay for it all (taxes, deficit spending that bites you in the ass later on).

Sometimes it really sucks being awake when the rest of the world is happily asleep, but I for one DO NOT welcome our new Obama overlord.

zach
01-21-2009, 08:02 AM
It'd be nice to think he's going to do something right.

Right now, the only good thing in my opinion is some things like civil unions, rights, etc.

That's about the only thing, and it makes him 1% better than Bush in my eyes.

sevin
01-21-2009, 08:20 AM
You talk a couple times about how we'll have to cut back in some places in order to go forward with all his new plans.

Which programs will he end in order to offset the costs of funding massive infrastructure projects?

Don't you realize he's not going to end many programs at all, but will simply print money to pay for all the infrastructure projects?

Elwar
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
My favorite part of the speech:

"blah blah blah...liberty...blah blah blah"

TER
01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
"...and God bless America".

Conza88
01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
The best part of Obama's speach was when he shut the fuck up. Obama might be THE president, but he isn't MY president, and never will be - even if he does show us his birth certificate. Fuck him, and by the way, Michelle O. is fucking UGLY.

Thanks for saving me the effort of typing, and also adding something extra to it. :D

TonySutton
01-21-2009, 08:37 AM
In the words of Clara Peller "Where's the beef?"

I will judge Obama on his actions, not his speeches. We will see over the course of the next few weeks, months and years what he is made of. Whether we like him or not, whether we claim him as president, Obama has the stage for 4 years.

We can sit around bitching and whining or we can act to spread our message and grow the movement.

SnappleLlama
01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
His speech was nothing but feel-good filler. Anyone who was inspired obviously didn't hear this:

"To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to the suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect..."

Since when do we have a duty to anyone but ourselves? Are we going to continue throwing our money at other nations?

Or this:

"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task."

Responsibility to the world? Isn't this setting off any alarms?

SnappleLlama
01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Oh yeah, this is pretty scary, too:

"This is the price and the promise of citizenship."

Now there's a price to pay? What is THAT, exactly?

Soca Taliban
01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified. Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no, programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account - to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government. No, that is the damn question that needs to be asked LOUD and CLEAR.

Ex Post Facto
01-23-2009, 01:46 AM
OMG...guys why so negative? I never hated BUSH until I saw what he did to our constitution. Obama is not going to conform to our every request for small government...but the signs so far are promising.

I want Ron Paul too and I think we are going to get sound money as a result of RP's effort. Small government may have to wait until 2012 though.

Conza88
01-23-2009, 02:28 AM
OMG...guys why so negative? I never hated BUSH until I saw what he did to our constitution. Obama is not going to conform to our every request for small government...but the signs so far are promising.

I want Ron Paul too and I think we are going to get sound money as a result of RP's effort. Small government may have to wait until 2012 though.

You literally have no idea what is going on in the world.

Move towards world government, mean anything to you? :rolleyes:

idiom
01-23-2009, 03:37 AM
There isn't going to be any money for a World Government... :P

Conza88
01-23-2009, 09:15 AM
There isn't going to be any money for a World Government... :P

Ummm they don't want money. They can print as much as they want. They want power.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
01-23-2009, 09:29 AM
oh jeez

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=216538&title=changefest-09-obamas-inaugural

OferNave
01-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I posted this before, but since the topic is alive again, here's an excellent critique of the speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHMY4P3OPM