PDA

View Full Version : A Zinger about Honor

Pedrique
09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Ron Paul needs a "zinger" to fire back on the whole "honor" thing at the next debate.

What can he use that quickly summarizes his position and trumps Huckabee's position at the same time?

The best I can come up with is

"How about we honor the constitution instead?"

But I don't think that's good enough.

Any other ideas? Needs to be succinct but powerful.

john_anderson_ii
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I like the line I saw somewhere today, with my own twist at the end:

"I think you are confusing Honor with pride. The American people shouldn't be paying for a war with money and lives just so those you support can save face."

jj111
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
She offered her honor,
He honored her offer,
And all night long,
I'll skip the rest...

Superfreak91
09-12-2007, 03:43 PM

"I think you are confusing Honor with pride. The American people shouldn't be paying for a war with money and lives just so those you support can save face."

BOOM! Headshot!

This is exactly the truth. Too many people have confused "honor" for "american pride" or "patriotism".

If the American leadership had any honor at all they would leave Iraq, take the training wheels off the parliament and make them learn to balance it out on their own.

Bluedevil
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I would respond:

"It's not honorable to send 5,000 Americans to their death in an unconstitutional, undeclared war."

LibertyEagle
09-12-2007, 04:05 PM

I like it. I like it. :D

glts
09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Don't confuse honor with dishonorable. Continuing to send men and women to die in this irresponsible and undeclared war is dishonorable.

SewrRatt
09-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Confusing honor with pride is a great observation. Personally, I think Ron Paul should quit calling it a war, because we won the war a long time ago. What we're doing now is an occupation attempting to install a puppet government. Funny how people nowadays believe conquest is self-defense just because someone tells them it is.

BuddyRey
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
These guys say it way better than I can.

"A man has honor if he holds himself to an ideal of conduct though it is inconvenient, unprofitable, or dangerous to do so."
---Walter Lippmann

"Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost."
---Arthur Schopenhauer

"The greatest honor history can bestow is that of peacemaker."
---Richard M. Nixon

"Who is worthy of honor? The one who honors others."
---Ben Zoma

It occurs to me, after reading these quotes, that Huckabee wouldn't know honor if it bit him on the backside. "Ego" is what he is concerning himself with, and the absolute bull-headed reluctance to admit a dreadful mistake.

ghemminger
09-13-2007, 04:13 PM
test

MGreen
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I like what William Grigg wrote the other day:

"When one has been caught committing a crime, honor requires that he desist and pay the appropriate penalty."

quickmike
09-13-2007, 04:30 PM
I would say "whose honor? The honor of the fools who lied to get us into this war? or the honor of 99.9 percent of americans who never had the opportunity to decide whether we went in the first place?.............. whos HONOR are you speaking of sir?"

thats what I would say.

ronpaulitician
09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
The implication that was made by Huckabee (and, I think, Hunter) was that our troops would only be able to return to the US with "honor" if we achieve in Iraq whatever Washington's latest definition of "victory" is.

I think the best way to counter that is to say that our men and women in uniform do not lose their honor when Washington does. To suggest that if the troops were to return today, they would not return with honor, is to suggest that the work our men and women in uniform have done over the last few years in Iraq is somehow dishonorable.

B964
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
How large will the next black monument in Dc need to be for you to feel honorable?

Mr. White
09-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I actually woke up in the night with this in my head.

'We've got the egg of the Iraq War on our face, and you're using the blood of our young men and women to wash it off.'

SAVEamerica
09-13-2007, 05:17 PM
how is invading and occupying defenseless third world countries honorable?

Noog
09-13-2007, 05:21 PM
"Our troops want out of Iraq. If staying in Iraq is the only honorable thing, then you are calling our troops dishonorable."