PDA

View Full Version : Outreach: How to Convince People

thechitowncubs
01-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Fundamental Techniques in Handling People

* Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
* Give honest and sincere appreciation.
* Arouse in the other person an eager want.

Six Ways to Make People Like You

1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
2. Smile.
3. Remember that a man's Name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
5. Talk in the terms of the other man's interest.
6. Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely.

Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking

1. Avoid arguments.
2. Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never tell someone they are wrong.
3. If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
4. Begin in a friendly way.
5. Start with questions the other person will answer yes to.
6. Let the other person do the talking.
7. Let the other person feel the idea is his/hers.
8. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
9. Sympathize with the other person.
10. Appeal to noble motives.
11. Dramatize your ideas.
12. Throw down a challenge.

Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment

1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
2. Call attention to other people's mistakes indirectly.
3. Talk about your own mistakes first.
4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
5. Let the other person save face.
6. Praise every improvement.
7. Give them a fine reputation to live up to.
8. Encourage them by making their faults seem easy to correct.
9. Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

wizardwatson
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
People see through this type of shit.

The real way to convince people is to have a plan of action that's better than what they are doing now.

thechitowncubs
01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
People see through this type of shit.

The real way to convince people is to have a plan of action that's better than what they are doing now.

Shit? This shit has been bought over and over again since the 30s. Either people are dumb, in which case, this way of persuading will work... or people are smart which means they won't like to be attacked, in which case, they are retarded for believing anything other than the liberty message.

Everyone is different. You need to know who you are talking to.

mediahasyou
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
I start up conversations with complete strangers regularly. I comment on something situational or about them or what they are doing.

I have a few stories that I branch the conversation off of. Most of these stories are interesting and not political.

Then I take a word totally out of context to drive the conversation towards liberty topics.

If they say:
Im so fed up with this...
I will make a comment about the Federal Reserve.

If they say:
I work at this job...
I start to talk about the economy.

The best thing is to talk about general, broad ideas that almost anyone can agree with. e.i. freedom, equality, rights

Then I say I have this new club (which of course is our meet up) and we are looking for members. I say that they are interesting person(s) and they should join us. Then after a quick conversation I ask for a simple email. Then I send them a few youtube videos or links for them to do further research for the next few weeks.

You'd be surprised about how willingly people will give out emails if you come across as a nice, interesting sensible person.

This conversation takes up about 5-10 minutes. Keep it casual, dont come across like a sales man.

-----
And what ever you do, dont start a full out debate. You'll get no where. When you debate, you attack the other person when attacking their position. In debate, even if you win, you still lose.

Kludge
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
7. Give them a fine reputation to live up to.

I've found this to be incredibly effective against myself and others, as well. People worth worrying about fear disappointment of people they respect enough to make them jump through extra hoops to ensure satisfaction and approval. I've become very wary of people who publicly overestimate me.

wizardwatson
01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Shit? This shit has been bought over and over again since the 30s. Either people are dumb, in which case, this way of persuading will work... or people are smart which means they won't like to be attacked, in which case, they are retarded for believing anything other than the liberty message.

Everyone is different. You need to know who you are talking to.

Shit = stuff

I'm saying the message is easy to communicate. People get it. People like it. But how to get there? In the campaign Ron Paul was the "how". We don't have that anymore. So what's the new "how".

Lucille
01-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Read Rules for Radicals. Fight fire with fire.

Elwar
01-20-2009, 09:32 AM
rufees

thechitowncubs
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Shit = stuff

I'm saying the message is easy to communicate. People get it. People like it. But how to get there? In the campaign Ron Paul was the "how". We don't have that anymore. So what's the new "how".

You and I are the new how.

Learning how to communicate like the good Dr. is part of the solution....

Roxi
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
work in telemarketing for a while, a lot of this stuff does work

I also can't stress enough how valuable SOME of the lessons you can get from reading Dale Carnegies "How to win friends, and influence people" are its a good read all around but good learning tool as well.

wizardwatson
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM
You and I are the new how.

Learning how to communicate like the good Dr. is part of the solution....

Yeah, but what's the other part.

I feel like Dr. Phil on this forum.

"You can't change what you don't acknowledge." -Dr. Phil

Don't ask me why I know Dr. Phil philosophy, suffice to say I'm married. Point is, every time someone mentions something totally fatalistic, I feel like I'm having to drag them up to the real grass roots fight and out of the apocalyptic mindset. And every time someone comes from the "We just need to get out and spread the gospel!" I'm always trying to get them to recognize and acknowledge that we are currently non-cohesive and have no real plan.

So that's all I'm really saying I guess. The first step in getting somewhere together is for a group of people to sit down and say, "ok, we're back at square 1".

Everyone in the movement seems bi-polar to me. They're either distraught and fatalistic about everything, or they're overly optimistic. Third scenario is they're worn out from bouncing back and forth and just don't have any energy and just pop into forums and goof off for awhile.

SirFelix
01-21-2009, 05:34 AM
This is a good post in my opinion.

This is all about treating other people with respect, which will be reciprocated.

And once the other person respects you, your ideas will have much more weight.

Roxi
01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
. Third scenario is they're worn out from bouncing back and forth and just don't have any energy and just pop into forums and goof off for awhile.

bingo! for me anyway..

I have had some depression problems lately over whats happening in the world and fear of whats to come. I try to remain positive, but when you talk to 100 idiots a day it can be disheartening at times. and sometimes i feel like it would be better for my mental health to give up, to not talk about anything to anyone, maybe silently hand them a CFL card or something :)

I come to the forums for a variety of reasons, to maintain some logical balance, to learn, and to converse with like minded people. I have been coming here for almost 2 years, I have become personal friends with several people and maintain contact with some outside of these forums, and i have never been part of a group of people who I have been able to have the types of conversations I have here, I'm surrounded by sheeple in real life.

so because of that no matter HOW bad i want to "retire" from here sometimes, i just can't do it.

plus some of you are so damn funny :D

liberteebell
01-21-2009, 08:59 PM
This is a good post in my opinion.

This is all about treating other people with respect, which will be reciprocated.

And once the other person respects you, your ideas will have much more weight.

+2009

It works. I have "converted" a whole lot of people this way. Some of those don't really grasp the entire picture but they're thinking is different now; they look at the world through new lenses. We're all works in progress-- sometimes, you just have to walk away from it too and give it time to sink in. The most rabid converts are those who come to this way of thinking "all on their own" (with some gentle prodding here and there).

Stary Hickory
01-21-2009, 09:51 PM
I just smack them around a bit, then I tell them "See my beliefs made me stronger than you"

It works every time.

But on a more serious note, that is a good list. We all need to be aggressive and sincere about spreading the word about liberty and freedom. The thing is you don't have to try to hard to sell it, Freedom and Liberty sell themselves. You just need to be able to express it without bias and partisanship.

dr. hfn
01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
good plan, Precinct leaders should learn this stuff

thechitowncubs
12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Bump for 2010

I was reading my old posts and I think this should be brought up. Simple conversation skills go along way.