PDA

View Full Version : Glenn beck declares himself libertarian

Crash Martinez
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
He also increasingly sounds libertarian, actually...

Criticizing the Fed, having little to no trust or respect for politicians from "either" side...

So, is this for real?
http://www.miamiherald.com/272/story/859624.html

My older brother met Beck a few months ago and referred him to a book by Rothbard, which Beck said he'd never read before. Maybe he has! Possible?

Crash Martinez
01-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I've still never heard Glenn Beck talk like a non-interventionist in terms of foreign policy, but then... I don't get to listen to him very often either.

heavenlyboy34
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
He sounds a little too militarist to be libertarian (yet)...we'll see what happens with him....

''We have some fierce arguments,'' Beck says. 'I've always been for a strong military. I've always been for protecting our interests abroad. But we have moved into a whole new zone that doesn't make sense. We can't coddle dictators in Egypt and Saudi Arabia and say, `Hey, do our dirty work for us,' and then expect to be respected around the world. It won't work.
'I think we've got to say to the world, `If you come after us like they did on 9/11, we will pound you into rubble. Otherwise, we're minding our own business.' ''

Fox McCloud
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I still don't trust him...he's said similar things before, then he goes right back to his old ways.....I still hold out some hope, but not much, any more, to be honest.....that said, if he does go 100% Libertarian one day, it'll be great to have a talking head who actually is one........that is, if he doesn't get canned by then.

asimplegirl
01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, I must admit, I stand with him in that opinion.

He says it much better than I would have, though.

2young2vote
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, he certainly is the closest thing to libertarian in the everyday MSM that i have noticed. That isn't a bad thing...

Doktor_Jeep
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
He also increasingly sounds libertarian, actually...

Criticizing the Fed, having little to no trust or respect for politicians from "either" side...

So, is this for real?
http://www.miamiherald.com/272/story/859624.html

My older brother met Beck a few months ago and referred him to a book by Rothbard, which Beck said he'd never read before. Maybe he has! Possible?

Beck is just trying to make sure he won't be on the dock in Neuremburg II (soon to follow War For Independence II).

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
He is certainly paranoid enough to be libertarian

jclay2
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Glenn Beck is really weird, especially when it comes to foriegn policy. He says that he wishes in the distant future the United States should not be the policeman of the world but at present we are just stuck and have to "man up". Until Glenn Beck really shows a true conversion on foreign policy, I won't trust him. With that said, he does closely share our economic views from what I have heard. But then at the same time, he doesn't blast the Republicans and say they are ALL fake conservatives with regards to spending.

Edit: Don't Trust at All for Now!

sevin
01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm afraid he'll end up giving all libertarians a bad name.

tremendoustie
01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
He sounds a little too militarist to be libertarian (yet)...we'll see what happens with him....

''We have some fierce arguments,'' Beck says. 'I've always been for a strong military. I've always been for protecting our interests abroad. But we have moved into a whole new zone that doesn't make sense. We can't coddle dictators in Egypt and Saudi Arabia and say, `Hey, do our dirty work for us,' and then expect to be respected around the world. It won't work.
'I think we've got to say to the world, `If you come after us like they did on 9/11, we will pound you into rubble. Otherwise, we're minding our own business.' ''

Sure, as long as the people we pound to rubble are the people who attacked us, instead of thousands of innocent people ...

hypnagogue
01-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Well, let's do our best to adopt him then. He's already got a TV show and an audience, so let's keep him informed. We can try to get our speakers on his show. Exert some influence.

mediahasyou
01-19-2009, 06:28 PM
neolibertarian*

Conza88
01-19-2009, 06:31 PM

That is the exact purpose of this excercise. His role, connect war - with libertarianism. Or make it seem more "right wing" as possible.

Beck is NOT a Libertarian. If anything he is an OBJECTIVIST, or NEOCON.

War monger is his middle name, you just ain't heard him say shit about it for ages.

HE CALLED US TERRORISTS!.

slacker921
01-19-2009, 06:36 PM

QFT. And he hasn't apologized for it either.

It's nice of him to talk some of the libertarian talk, but until he has more third party candidates and "Ron Paul Republicans" on his show then he's just like Lou Dobbs (bitching and moaning about the two parties but never showing the masses that there's an alternative).

hypnagogue
01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Hmm, yeah. I remember that whole "terrorists" thing. Still, airtime is what we want. If he at least claims to be libertarian he should have no problem having real libertarians on his show. From there they can either agree or debate depending on whether Beck is being crazy again or not.

Sandra
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
That is the exact purpose of this excercise. His role, connect war - with libertarianism. Or make it seem more "right wing" as possible.

Beck is NOT a Libertarian. If anything he is an OBJECTIVIST, or NEOCON.

War monger is his middle name, you just ain't heard him say shit about it for ages.

I agree. He must be trying to meld the two together.

JeNNiF00F00
01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I love Glenn Beck. I listened to him when he first started on the radio and I was more of a Neocon who thought what was going on with Bush and the war was "for the greater good". Through the years imo, he has transformed and learned more about the way government should be, just as I have and has come a long long way with my political views. I don't think he is a Neocon. He used to be, but he is far from that now and is very much behind liberty and lesser government now that he knows what is up. I think he is good for the movement imo.

hypnagogue
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I agree. He must be trying to meld the two together. Paranoia.

Paulitician
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
neolibertarian*
'greed

Imperial
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Glenn Beck is really weird, especially when it comes to foriegn policy. He says that he wishes in the distant future the United States should not be the policeman of the world but at present we are just stuck and have to "man up". Until Glenn Beck really shows a true conversion on foreign policy, I won't trust him. With that said, he does closely share our economic views from what I have heard. But then at the same time, he doesn't blast the Republicans and say they are ALL fake conservatives with regards to spending.

Edit: Don't Trust at All for Now!

Actually, he did deride McCain often on his show. And, when Congress had ended its session earlier this year and the Republicans declared they would stay even "in the dark", he publicly kept saying I have little faith they will do anything. He also considered voting third party for a long time, actually having Barr and Paul on his show. I think he believes most Republicans have lost their way, but that there are some good examples.

On foreign policy, I can understand his hesitation. It is a huge jump for somebody to make, and the fact he hears the other side and lets people talk(unlike Lou Dobbs' show I may add) is a huge step. He definitely isn't like the type who shut down opposition. His views have adjusted to accomodate a big tent is all. You won't hear him saying Ron Paul isn't a true Republican at least.

bill50
01-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Either that or he was brought on to be the new face of Republicanism. Don't forget that in 8 years when its time to elect a new president, people will go back to thinking the Democrats are the war party and Republicans are anti war. The neocons can then rig the election to have a neocon beat a real libertarian conservative and go against a war mongering democrat only to flip flop on all of his stances after being elected.

Kotin
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Either that or he was brought on to be the new face of Republicanism. Don't forget that in 8 years when its time to elect a new president, people will go back to thinking the Democrats are the war party and Republicans are anti war. The neocons can then rig the election to have a neocon beat a real libertarian conservative and go against a war mongering democrat only to flip flop on all of his stances after being elected.

hmm.. yup, sounds familiar.

Freedom 4 all
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
He can declarehimself a bunny rabbit and it will not make it so. The fact of the matter is if he truly went libertarian FAUX NOISE would fire him in a second. Hell maybe he will become a great anchor and someone deserving of my respect. I'm not ruling it out, but he seems like a garden variety neocon from what I've seen. Admitidly however, I haven't seen much of him.

phill4paul
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8dsqLDtfWQ&feature=related

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

heavenlyboy34
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM
He can declarehimself a bunny rabbit and it will not make it so. The fact of the matter is if he truly went libertarian FAUX NOISE would fire him in a second. Hell maybe he will become a great anchor and someone deserving of my respect. I'm not ruling it out, but he seems like a garden variety neocon from what I've seen. Admitidly however, I haven't seen much of him.

Never heard him use neocon-speak, but he's never been an outspoken libertarian, that I know of.

M House
01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Wow so um any self declared "libertarians" feel like abandoning ship to a new label before MSM defacement.

qh4dotcom
01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Beck also said he's a libertarian on his website

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/20347/

GLENN: No, I'm a libertarian more than anything else.

heavenlyboy34
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Beck also said he's a libertarian on his website

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/20347/

On his homepage he posted an interview with the girl who sold her virginity...deja vu! Remember when I posted that story on RPF? :eek:

Brassmouth
01-19-2009, 10:40 PM
well, he certainly is the closest thing to libertarian in the everyday msm that i have noticed. That isn't a bad thing...

john stossel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brassmouth
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Wow so um any self declared "libertarians" feel like abandoning ship to a new label before MSM defacement.

Anarcho-capitalist. :cool:

xd9fan
01-20-2009, 09:12 AM
read the article and it says
favor an isolationist foreign policy

what the fuck....this is the biggest spin BS from the GOP ever.

So then the only way we can deal with peopleother nations) is through threat of military???? really....not trade???? since when is trade equal to isolation?????????

how about NON military-inventionist foreign policy!!!

God the GOP can go to hell
Beck has a long way to go

Crash Martinez
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
yeah... I didn't SAY Glenn Beck actually IS a libertarian. Maybe he means he's a Libertarian Party member. I could see that easily enough. Him and Bob Barr. Yippeee!!

eOs
01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
I see so many posts talking about how long of a way Beck has to go before they will accept him. I don't understand this concept. If you have gray hair and you are a talking head for a major MSM outlet, and your entire life you've clearly been against all that is right in this world...why are you guys even giving him a chance? He just had Karl Rove on his new show..like..come on..

Crash Martinez
01-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I see so many posts talking about how long of a way Beck has to go before they will accept him. I don't understand this concept. If you have gray hair and you are a talking head for a major MSM outlet, and your entire life you've clearly been against all that is right in this world...why are you guys even giving him a chance? He just had Karl Rove on his new show..like..come on..

'cuz we need all the help we can get. if GWB became a libertarian, we could use his support as well (from prison, after turning himself in for all his crimes, naturally).

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I still don't trust him...he's said similar things before, then he goes right back to his old ways.....I still hold out some hope, but not much, any more, to be honest.....that said, if he does go 100% Libertarian one day, it'll be great to have a talking head who actually is one........that is, if he doesn't get canned by then.

Same here. I think he'll be a Libertarian like Lou Dobbs is an Independent.

ronpaulhawaii
01-20-2009, 10:33 AM
'cuz we need all the help we can get. if GWB became a libertarian, we could use his support as well (from prison, after turning himself in for all his crimes, naturally).

+1 - emphasis added

I think "writing people off" is a bad habit to get into...

And how about Charles Goyette (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1725420&postcount=66) ?

libertarian4321
01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I've always considered Beck to be just another neocon chickenhawk, but he may be changing his shtick since his old show seemed to be pretty uncompetitive.

humanic
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Beck seems philosophically and ideologically volatile lately. It does seem like if you average it out he's heading in a more libertarian direction. He still has a long way to go before I would fully trust him or respect him.

Andrew-Austin
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Suppose hes more of a libertarian than Bill Maher.

heavenlyboy34
01-20-2009, 02:59 PM

+1

robert4rp08
01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
On his homepage he posted an interview with the girl who sold her virginity...deja vu! Remember when I posted that story on RPF? :eek:

That's funny. The girl says she's Green Party and Beck says he's libertarian in that interview. But she sounds more libertarian the he does:

DYLAN: No, of course not. Because that's actually hurting someone else. What I'm doing is two consenting adults, and I'm not hurting anybody and I'm not compromising my own morals. I'm not going against the law. It's through a legalized brothel and, you know, I have everything together.

GLENN: Are you libertarian?

DYLAN: Yeah. You know, actually I'm rather Green party. Are you very right-wing?

GLENN: No, I'm a libertarian more than anything else. Are you --

DYLAN: Are you?

GLENN: Yes, I am.

DYLAN: I can't tell.

GLENN: You can't tell?

DYLAN: No.

xd9fan
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Bill Maher and libertarian in the same senstence........now we all are loosing our collective minds. damn that funny

Like Naomi wolf, Maher is just another liberal.

heavenlyboy34
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Bill Maher and libertarian in the same senstence........now we all are loosing our collective minds. damn that funny

Like Naomi wolf, Maher is just another liberal.

qft! Except Wolf is funnier. ;)

Todd
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I think after this year, being a Libertarian might be the in thing.....like being a conservative used to be.:p

gls
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
That's funny. The girl says she's Green Party and Beck says he's libertarian in that interview. But she sounds more libertarian the he does:

DYLAN: No, of course not. Because that's actually hurting someone else. What I'm doing is two consenting adults, and I'm not hurting anybody and I'm not compromising my own morals. I'm not going against the law. It's through a legalized brothel and, you know, I have everything together.

GLENN: Are you libertarian?

DYLAN: Yeah. You know, actually I'm rather Green party. Are you very right-wing?

GLENN: No, I'm a libertarian more than anything else. Are you --

DYLAN: Are you?

GLENN: Yes, I am.

DYLAN: I can't tell.

GLENN: You can't tell?

DYLAN: No.

LOL now that is funny. Beck is whatever will increase his ratings.

As far as I'm concerned the only libertarian in the MSM is John Stossel. I wish we could find a way to clone him.

AutoDas
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
LOL now that is funny. Beck is whatever will increase his ratings.

As far as I'm concerned the only libertarian in the MSM is John Stossel. I wish we could find a way to clone him.

If only mustache rides could kill.

dr. hfn
01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
but he won't openly support bob barr or ron paul, he supported mccain

Imperial
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Beck said many times he was considering voting for Barr because he couldn't stand McCain. However, he gave Barr much face-time and talked about him sometimes. Basically agreed on everything but foreign policy and wasn't sure if 3rd party was worth it. Even after Sarah Palin, he still voiced doubts after Palin fever subsided a bit.

I think Beck is having a conflict in himself over ideology.

And Naomi Wolf has been moving more in our direction as time passes, especially over the electoral season.

MRoCkEd
01-20-2009, 07:05 PM
If we morphed them together and got Glenn Maher who was like Beck on economics and Bill on foreign policy and personal liberty - we might be on to something.