PDA

View Full Version : NC High School bans American Flag -- give the superintendent a call!

Jake!
09-12-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2007-09-11-0027.html

High School Bans American Flag

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2007 - 11:56 PM Updated: 12:52 PM

By NBC17
E-mail | Biography

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C. – On the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, students at one high school were not allowed to wear clothes with an American flag.

Under a new school rule, students at Hobbton High School are not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The new rule stems from a controversy over students wearing shirts bearing flags of other countries.

Gayle Langston said her daughter, Jessica, was told to remove her Stars and Stripes t-shirt.

“Today she wanted to wear her shirt, and I had to tell her no,” said Langston. “She didn't like it at all because I knew it would get her in trouble. Of all days, 9/11, she could not wear her American Flag shirt.”

The superintendent of schools in Sampson County calls the situation unfortunate, but says educators didn’t want to be forced to pick and choose which flags should be permissible.
I think this is worthy of a few polite phone calls from across the nation.

Sampson County Schools
P.O. Box 439, Clinton, N.C. 28329
910-592-1401
Dr. L. Stewart Hobbs, Jr., Superintendent
http://www.sampson.k12.nc.us/

Hobbton High (9-12) 12201
Hobbton Hwy., Newton Grove 28366
Wesley Johnson, Principal
Jennifer Daughtry , Asst. Principal
910-594-0242

micahnelson
09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I tell you, fairness has always been the mortal enemy of free speech.

Givemelibertyor.....
09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I know that town and the school very well.

It has been completely taken over by illegal aliens.

RP4ME
09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Left a message for dr. hobbs - polite, just told him i disagreed and hope that he would reverse hsi decision.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
No American flags so we can cater to the illegals?

Screw 'em. If I was in any position of power, I'd tell the illegals where they could stick it.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Next on the ban list: All spoken and written language. Even English. To be fair.

Omnis
09-12-2007, 01:21 PM
I suppose, with this flag ban and all, that any solid green clothing has also been banned. Can't wait until St. Patrick's Day when the school suddenly becomes filled with Libyan nationalists.

edit: Not sure if red polka-dots would fly either.

Jake!
09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
update!

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.PrintView.-content-articles-NCN-2007-09-12-0013.html

School Rescinds Ban On Flag Clothing

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2007 - 05:59 PM Updated: 06:43 AM

By NBC17
E-mail | Biography

SAMPSON COUNTY, N.C – A North Carolina High School that came under national attention over their rule that prohibited students from wearing items with the American flag, or any flag from other countries, has lifted the ban.

Superintendent Dr. L. Stewart Hobbs, Jr said they have lifted the ban on flags and “from this point on, all dress code changes will be made at the school board level.”

Hobbs said the county has a dress code policy in place and says individual school dress codes are not allowed.

He adds that principals cannot make a policy that exceeds the board policy, "The principal acted in good faith and said no flags."

According to Hobbs, the policy all stems from information from law enforcement of gangs wearing foreign flags as gang symbols and the board does have a policy to prevent gang signs in schools.

He said they are just as patriotic as other Americans flying the flag over the school, saying the pledge and have planned to have Constitution day at the school next week.

Under the previous rule, students at Hobbton High School were not allowed to wear items with flags, from any country, including the United States.

The board will be meeting with school attorneys to look into the issue further.