PDA

View Full Version : how to hallucinate without drugs :)

heavenlyboy34
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/graphics/011109_hacking_your_brain/

Hack your brain

How to hallucinate with ping-pong balls and a radio
Text by Johan Lehrer, graphics by Javier Zarracina DO YOU EVER want to change the way you see the world? Wouldn't it be fun to hallucinate on your lunch break? Although we typically associate such phenomena with powerful drugs like LSD or mescaline, it's easy to fling open the doors of perception without them: All it takes is a basic understanding of how the mind works.
The first thing to know is that the mind isn't a mirror, or even a passive observer of reality. Much of what we think of as being out there actually comes from in here, and is a byproduct of how the brain processes sensation. In recent years scientists have come up with a number of simple tricks that expose the artifice of our senses, so that we end up perceiving what we know isn't real - tweaking the cortex to produce something uncannily like hallucinations. Perhaps we hear the voice of someone who is no longer alive, or feel as if our nose is suddenly 3 feet long.
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Graphic/2009/01/10/11brain2axx__1231575167_0544.jpg

torchbearer
01-18-2009, 11:37 AM
sleep deprivation.

heavenlyboy34
01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
sleep deprivation.

That hasn't worked for me yet. :(

Kludge
01-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Hard to reason if your brain is "lying".

zach
01-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Use plants, not drugs. :)

heavenlyboy34
01-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Use plants, not drugs. :)

Okay! :D;):)

torchbearer
01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
That hasn't worked for me yet. :(

How long have you been up without sleep?
Give it at least 4 days... you'll start to see things.

heavenlyboy34
01-18-2009, 12:47 PM

I've only gone about 2 days. I'll give your idea a try sometime.:)

Scofield
01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm going to try the ping-pong ball version sometime soon.

M House
01-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Torchbearer what happened to the Great Religious Debate?

steve005
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I love sleep, why would anyone do suck a thing, last night it was 2 an i coulnt' keep my eyes open,

plants and fungi

torchbearer
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Torchbearer what happened to the Great Religious Debate?

Haven't had time to sit down and do it.
I do have the modified thread link. but virus problems have kept me busy.
3 different strains are hitting my business clients.
1. dnschanger - making them unable to use the internet
2. winlogin virus - making them unable to log in to their computers (even in safe mode)
3. antivirus 2009 pro virus - extortion ware that hijacks their browsers

right now, i'm working in shop for residential clients with the same problems.

patriot.manifesto
01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
sleep deprivation does work. i drove for 20 hours straight Friday while only having 3 hours of sleep the night before and every time i saw the moon in the corner of my eye i thought it was a car driving from the trees or something. then i would see strange black lines squiggling around kind of like that screen saver. mind you i was driving by myself so i don't know if it would have worked if i had company in the car.

Call Me V
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Or you can just have schizophrenia like me :)

Kotin
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
if you dont eat for a couple days or weeks, your brain starts making its own glucose and you trip balls to say the least..

Kludge
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
//

torchbearer
01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
if you dont eat for a couple days or weeks, your brain starts making its own glucose and you trip balls to say the least..

bad side effect is an increase in ketones like acetone in your blood stream.

DirtMcGirt
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm going to try the ping-pong ball version sometime soon.

when you do report back, i'm a wee bit curious....

Call Me V
01-18-2009, 06:53 PM

No...your muscles are broken down into glucose first...which takes a long time.

Protein can be broken down into glucose and it will before your brain.

Wendi
01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
when you do report back, i'm a wee bit curious.... Haha, I'm too curious NOT to try that one :D

pinkmandy
01-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Haven't had time to sit down and do it.
I do have the modified thread link. but virus problems have kept me busy.
3 different strains are hitting my business clients.
1. dnschanger - making them unable to use the internet
2. winlogin virus - making them unable to log in to their computers (even in safe mode)
3. antivirus 2009 pro virus - extortion ware that hijacks their browsers

right now, i'm working in shop for residential clients with the same problems.

I had the antivirus 2009 and the go.google one. Almost had to reformat my hard drive. This got them off http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Cool thread. I'm going to try the ping pong one, too. :D

heavenlyboy34
01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I had the antivirus 2009 and the go.google one. Almost had to reformat my hard drive. This got them off http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Cool thread. I'm going to try the ping pong one, too. :D

you're welcome! :D ~hug~ enjoy!

krazy kaju
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
These are lame. The real deal is all about isolation tanks.

amy31416
01-23-2009, 09:08 PM

He's right on this.

I've always been a bit of an insomniac, and was once prescribed a medication that had a "minor" side effect of insomnia. I didn't sleep for more than 40 minutes for about a week and a half.

I had audio and visual hallucinations, everything sensual was "overexposed." It was not pleasant, either I was scared as hell or I thought I was invincible--both states were manic. I wrote the equivalent of two books during that time and, believe me, reading them when not out of your mind is quite enlightening. A little brilliance, but a whole lot of crazy. I've never done LSD or any other hallucinogens and after that experience I never will, nor will I ever take another pharmaceutical unless it's a life or death situation.

Not a recommended method for enlightenment, kids.