PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty Card Shopping

Pauls' Revere
01-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Although I disagree with the concept of collecting one's shopping habits in a database with these loyalty cards. Such that you also I'm sure must provide an address and phone number or someting. However, when I read this article a thought occured to me. It is quite possible that we could use this to our advantage, Albeit sacrificing some personal info in the process. Hear me out.

The article is about tactics used by stores to raise prices without you knowing. Item #6 is about loyalty cards or what stores consider "core" shoppers. Promotions and decisions about what to stock are derived from as little as 12% - 25% of the customer base. Which also represents 65% of sales.

From Article:
And they use
this information for everything from promoting new products to deciding what to stock.

More important, stores tap this data to target customers who buy lots of groceries on a regular basis. Woolf says that as much as 65 percent of a store’s sales are derived from these core shoppers, who make up just 12 to 25 percent of its customers.

Perhaps if we decided upon a certain national chain we could boost sales of liberty minded products? sponsers? Can we set up a business and sell a product? which proceeds go to liberty causes much like Ben & Jerry did with thier political ice cream? Just brainstorming. I think this is a great opportunity for a minority (thats us) to have a great influence without much effort per se. Of course there is the privacy issue at hand but I understand.

Any thoughts?

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/106415/What-Your-Supermarket-Won't-Tell-You

Wendi
01-18-2009, 09:34 AM
For $10 a month, I have a completely anonymous drop-box address that accepts shipments from all major carriers (ups, fedex, us mail, etc.). For $30 a year I have a Skype-in number that is also completely anonymous. I use these for a variety of purposes in staying off the grid where possible (at least as far as where non-government entities are concerned) - including shopping/loyalty cards at retail stores. They can collect all the data they want when I use my cards - it's a phantom doing the shopping ;) I suggest if you want to manipulate the store data without sacrificing personal information, you consider my setup.

Pauls' Revere
01-19-2009, 12:30 AM
For $10 a month, I have a completely anonymous drop-box address that accepts shipments from all major carriers (ups, fedex, us mail, etc.). For $30 a year I have a Skype-in number that is also completely anonymous. I use these for a variety of purposes in staying off the grid where possible (at least as far as where non-government entities are concerned) - including shopping/loyalty cards at retail stores. They can collect all the data they want when I use my cards - it's a phantom doing the shopping ;) I suggest if you want to manipulate the store data without sacrificing personal information, you consider my setup.

Who is the drop box set up with if you dont mind me asking?
(haha) wait then it wouldn't be anon would it? no seriously which service or provider do you use?

youngbuck
01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
When you sign up for those grocery store discount cards, you don't have to provide true information. I put down a fake name and address, and my cards have always worked.

DamianTV
02-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Unless you pay with your ATM.

A bit of privacy for a deal isnt the real risk, its about desentizing people to being tracked. Once people are desensitized enough, these companies will start selling this info to the people you least want it to go to. Insurance. So the money you save on your groceries by using one of these cards (if youre one of the millions fucking retarded enough to give REAL information) will be eaten up by increased health insurance rates.

But lets forget about saving a buck for two seconds. Insurance company sees that you buy too much bacon than is "healthy" for you. Well, your trip to the emergency room wont get covered by your insurance carrier now, you cant afford the treatment you need without the insurance (hence why you had it in the first place) to help cover the costs, then you die.

Giving away your privacy has a very real price.

acptulsa
02-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Interesting concept. I don't mind one bit gaming the system but I'd have to know what is to gain by it. Will we promote buying American? Is this a good, backhanded way to boycott Monsanto?

Thing is, we're so libertarian at heart around here that the last grocery store chain to offer us that crap wound up selling their every local location just a few months later!