PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Jackson bio on History Channel

RSLudlum
01-17-2009, 09:33 PM
History channel is airing a show on the myths and realities of Andrew Jackson right now, it started at 10pm.

paulitics
01-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Gee, I wonder if they will insinuate that he was a racist.

socialize_me
01-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Gee, I wonder if they will insinuate that he was a racist.

Uhm...I like Andrew Jackson for 98% of what he did (beating his assassin is pretty badass), but the guy committed genocide for crying out loud!!

You fundamentalists are something else I tell yah. You paint Jackson as a non-racist (funny since he was a slave owner and promoted the removal of tens of thousands of Indians of which thousands died as a direct cause of his decisions), you're anti-Israel and pro-Palestine (yet you claim to be neutral), and you try to find excuses for Thomas Jefferson saying he was an abolitionist yet he kept his slaves until his death.

You people violate all things logical.

paulitics
01-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Uhm...I like Andrew Jackson for 98% of what he did (beating his assassin is pretty badass), but the guy committed genocide for crying out loud!!

Oh, quit the histrionics, you are abusing political correctness. I guess I have to lower myself to your level and respond to 4 off the wall, nonsensical accusations. Thanks for wasting my time in advance.

First of all, the Andrew Jackson thing.
It was just some dry humor that went over your head (go figure) about the history channel and how predictable they are when it comes to their portrayal of Andrew Jackson.

It's not that they are necessarely wrong in some respects, but very predictable about their central theme.

You fundamentalists are something else I tell yah. You paint Jackson as a non-racist (funny since he was a slave owner and promoted the removal of tens of thousands of Indians of which thousands died as a direct cause of his decisions), you're anti-Israel and pro-Palestine (yet you claim to be neutral), and you try to find excuses for Thomas Jefferson saying he was an abolitionist yet he kept his slaves until his death.

You people violate all things logical.

Uh..Palestine, Israel.
Hmmm.. I never claimed to be neutral although technically it is very neutral. Anyway, I agree with Ron Paul on this issue and am more concerned with US foreign policy than Israel's which is becoming inseperable. I agree with all of his foreign policy stances for the exact same reasons, that it makes us less safe. Disclaimer: This doesn't mean I like Hamas and their rockets either, because you have the tendancy to hear what you want to hear. What does this topic have to do with the OP?

I'm not going to even touch Jefferson, as it is too complex and you are likely to just take it out of context. I can tell your reading comprehension and understanding of nuances, and subtelty is well, piss poor.

You fundamentalists are something else I tell yah. You people violate all things logical

Ok, you accuse of bigotry, yet you make an actual slur in the same breath. Incredible. I take it you mean fundamentalist as Christian, as only an idiot barely able to turn on a computer would choose this word to mean something else. What's more, is I'm not even religious, but will gladly defend any Christian on this board from broad sweeping generalisations like this.

So you're 0 for 4, and sadly make no sense. I'm sorry I had to stoop to your level for you to hear me. People like you usually EXCEL in hypocrisy.

Brian4Liberty
01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
you try to find excuses for Thomas Jefferson saying he was an abolitionist yet he kept his slaves until his death.

Hey now!

Slavery existed before Jefferson. It existed after Jefferson. He didn't like it. Slaves were essentially cheap labor then (and cheap labor are essentially slaves now). Should Jefferson have just kicked them off his estate? He ran out of money. He couldn't "pay" them. But he could let them continue to live there, if they wanted to stay.

Ron Paul pays income taxes. He is a member of a government that does all kinds of bad things. Does that mean he is not against taxes and many other things our government does?

TastyWheat
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Can I get this on DVD? Is this part of their presidents collection?

Imperial
01-20-2009, 12:50 AM
I actually only like Jackson for about 35% of what he did.

He expanded presidential power like crazy, and believed in a godly executive. He was really expansionist as his Florida foray shows(he disregarded orders in order to seize Spanish Florida and was ironically backed and saved by his future opponent, John Quincy Adams as SoS). He of course ignored the Supreme Court and allowed the Cherokee and others to be sent off to their doom, although he did attempt to rationalize the action. And, his embracing the spoils system brought in poor bureaucrats.

Of course, he was to a certain degree for state's rights and was anti-BUS. He also backed hard money.