PDA

View Full Version : which religion is the right one?

trey4sports
01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
im sure this has been done numerous times, so if you dont like the thread simply dont reply.

defend your religion and explain why you believe it to be the right one. whether is Christianity, islam, atheism, etc etc etc

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, I believe in God. Period. I believe in the ten commandments. Period. Past that, I do not agree with one religion 100%.

I am Catholic, though, because of one simple thing:

Purgatory. I refuse to believe that non Christians that are good people, or gay people that are good people will go to heaven and that some Christians that are hollow in the soul parts will go straight to heaven for merely "accepting" Christ.

That area alone is what my deciding factor is.

Take it or leave it, that's all I got. (well, there is a little more, but nothing I am so sure of yet)

Kludge
01-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Sikhism is the right religion because the other ones are wrong.

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
The one whose members have the biggest guns. ;)

Zippyjuan
01-16-2009, 05:42 PM
The catch is that you will not know which, if any, religion is "right" until you are dead. Here on this planet you cannot prove which is "better". That is why it is a "belief".

M House
01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Christianity duh we have several threads on it already.

TER
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
The One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church as established by Jesus Christ and maintained by the Holy Spirit.

What the western world calls the 'Eastern Orthodox Church'.

Nirvikalpa
01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm a Christian, but I am not going to defend one religion. My belief is someone should have faith in something, whether it be religion, or a person, a political philosophy, a mission, etc. I also can not defend Christianity because I have been Atheist - for me, God didn't present himself in my life until I was a teenager. It's my belief you can not be taught to have faith, you have to seek it and learn it on your own, by your own experiences.

No religion is 'right' or 'wrong.' A person needs to have a will to find God, in whatever form that person wants. God presented himself to me in the form of nature, and I started to click with Christianity and the Beatitudes. That empowers me to do the most good each day, and it's what gets me out of bed in the morning, and with my faith I feel I for once have a purpose. Now that I look back, I don't think I ever gave 100% to anything (work, school, etc) until I had complete faith in God.

I hope everyone finds that, regardless what religion or lack thereof that gives them that feeling of completeness.

Andrew Ryan
01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Islam is the light.

Spider-Man
01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Scientology.

Fox McCloud
01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd say no religion....however knowing and following Jesus Christ as your personal savior...ahh, now that's the right thing :)

dannno
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
which religion is the right one?

According to South Park, it's the Mormons, yes, Mormons is the correct answer.

brandon
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I worship all gods and practice all religions just to make sure I have my bases covered when I die.

Uriel999
01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Scientology, my friends. Scientology.

It's like *pft*. This is it. This is it.

You're either in or you're out.

Why ask permission? We are the authorities.

http://www.comingintosomethingbetter.com/myspace/dianetics.gif

LOL,

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=south+park+scientology&emb=0&aq=0&oq=southpark+sc#

:D

Grimnir Wotansvolk
01-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Mormon

M House
01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
im sure this has been done numerous times, so if you dont like the thread simply dont reply.

defend your religion and explain why you believe it to be the right one. whether is Christianity, islam, atheism, etc etc etc

Notice the capitalization there is Only one correct answer here.

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I worship all gods and practice all religions just to make sure I have my bases covered when I die.

Do you get extra presents for celebrating all the holidays? :confused:

nodope0695
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Whichever works for you, and doesn't cause you to violate others' rights (life, liberty, property).

By the way, "offending" somebody is NOT a violation of their rights....sticks and stones will break my bones, BUT NAMES WILL NEVER HURT ME. A person CHOOSES to be offended.

Paulitical Correctness
01-16-2009, 06:39 PM
My religion is tolerance. In a world gone chaotic why add to the madness by fueling a fire that's been burning since the beginning of time?

Anyone who believes with such conviction that they are undoubtedly "right" has got to be harboring some pretty intense delusions of grandeur.

If I had to choose, though, I align with Buddhism fairly well.

brandon
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Whichever works for you, and doesn't cause you to violate others' rights (life, liberty, property).

By the way, "offending" somebody is NOT a violation of their rights....sticks and stones will break my bones, BUT NAMES WILL NEVER HURT ME. A person CHOOSES to be offended.

^^ says the retarded douche bag ;)

dannno
01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Mormon

This is the only religion that seems to be based upon all God's creatures on earth rather than a specific group or race.

It's actually one of the few religions that makes sense from a macro perspective.

The other Christian religions only make sense as failed religions, where the individual is still Christian. Mormonism, however, is based upon the proper restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ and is the only church with Latter Day prophets.

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I'd say no religion....however knowing and following Jesus Christ as your personal savior...ahh, now that's the right thing :)

I prefer to call him Rabbi Yeshua al-Yosif (in recognition of his Hebrew heritage and teaching ability...and I don't like the Roman name Jesu-iconic of how the Romans screwed up his ideas; translated in english as Jesus)...and I like him a lot as well. :D

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Which is real, Unicorns or Fairies? Only one can be true. You decide.

M House
01-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I believe that naked forrest nymphs created us.

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I believe that naked forrest nymphs created us.

:eek: Is that where my pixie dust collection came from?:confused:

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 07:08 PM
This is really like asking which Dr. Seuss book is based on a true story.

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-16-2009, 07:09 PM
I predict 16-page fight thread.

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I predict 16-page fight thread.

I fear you may be right in that. :p:(

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I can see it happen.

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Who are your picks for most replies in this online verbal fisticuff?

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 07:19 PM

I predict an endless barrage of posts from BeFranklin, Tones, and Josh (whatshisface).:eek:

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 07:25 PM
omg. My thoughts exactly.

If BE gets in here, this will last400 pages with no one arguing and him PWing to himself, because no one else has the patience to listen to that much argument..:)

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I predict an endless barrage of posts from BeFranklin, Tones, and Josh (whatshisface).:eek:

I submit Theo and MRS to your list.

Andrew-Austin
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Mormon religion explained in South Park: http://www.videosift.com/video/History-of-Mormonism-by-South-Park

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I submit Theo and MRS to your list.

I forgot about them...thanx for the add. :) ~hugs~

zach
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
There is no right religion just like there is no right color.
There is only a personal Truth which works for you.
Then again, that's my perception of reality. :D ;)

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I forgot about them...thanx for the add. :) ~hugs~

Cheers, man. We've got the big-name players set. Now, when the arguments take off, the leading person with the most posts can be tallied up. A winner can be named as soon as this thread falls off the front page of, "New Posts" for five days, consecutively.

So far, MRS has charged forward to take first place. It's going to be an exciting race, folks.

dr. hfn
01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
The Buddha I admire, who's teachings are very similar to Jesus's. But I'm an atheist and a freethinker. Science is the new way

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I have studied Buddhist religion awhile back, and practiced it for a short period.

Very nice religion. I liked it. Just had no one to explain things to me that I didn't understand...not many Buddhists in a less than 100 person town.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Oh you just wait. Anyone remember the Intelligent Design thread from about a year ago? 100+ pages

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I have studied Buddhist religion awhile back, and practiced it for a short period.

Very nice religion. I liked it. Just had no one to explain things to me that I didn't understand...not many Buddhists in a less than 100 person town.

So you picked out a religion that sounded close to what you would agree with, and went along with it?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
This is the only religion that seems to be based upon all God's creatures on earth rather than a specific group or race.

It's actually one of the few religions that makes sense from a macro perspective.

The other Christian religions only make sense as failed religions, where the individual is still Christian. Mormonism, however, is based upon the proper restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ and is the only church with Latter Day prophets.

And its the only religion that places Jesus in the United States and the Garden of Eden in Jackson County, Missouri. Im surprised Sean Hannity hasnt converted yet.

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-16-2009, 08:55 PM
And its the only religion that places Jesus in the United States and the Garden of Eden in Jackson County, Missouri. Im surprised Sean Hannity hasnt converted yet.

Every denomination has facets which some may find curious. To each his own, I say.

As I understand it, LDS people don't believe that Jesus only visited the American continent. The New Testament still applies.

Buddhism sounds cool. By the way, what is the best online resource for learning about atheism?

Cheers,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Original_Intent
01-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I believe Mormon is the most correct, but I don't think there is a person alive or that ever lived that won't be plenty surprised by reality.

Everything I have read about Mohammed, Buddha - they personally were probably closer to the truth than 99.9% of so-called Christians, unfortunately their followers (I believe) have strayed as far from their original teachings as Christ's followers have strayed from what he taught.

I just got thru reading "Mainspring of Human Progress" and really liked what it had to say about both Christianity and Moslem, and that both fundamentally were trying to teach people NOT to have kings, the value of the individual, and generally the bigger ANY organization gets (religious or secular government) that the more it tends to be corrupt and an enemy to both god and man. I haven't finished it, but so far it is an excellent read and written back in the 1940's.

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-16-2009, 10:21 PM
I just got thru reading "Mainspring of Human Progress" and really liked what it had to say about both Christianity and Moslem, and that both fundamentally were trying to teach people NOT to have kings, the value of the individual, and generally the bigger ANY organization gets (religious or secular government) that the more it tends to be corrupt and an enemy to both god and man. I haven't finished it, but so far it is an excellent read and written back in the 1940's.

Hi,

I think it's amazing that the people petitioned George Washington to become King and he declined. That would never happen, presently.

Cheers,
Omphfullas Zamboni

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-16-2009, 10:38 PM
None of them.

BuddyRey
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
The one that's right for you is the "right" one. Personally, I'm a Christian (a Quaker to be more specific), but I think there's wisdom, truth, and comfort to be found in many different beliefs.

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh you just wait. Anyone remember the Intelligent Design thread from about a year ago? 100+ pages

Did it really go that long? :eek: I got bored at 10 pages or so.:p

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
so which is the one true religion? And who was lucky enough to be born into a family practicing it?

heavenlyboy34
01-16-2009, 10:47 PM
so which is the one true religion? And who was lucky enough to be born into a family practicing it?

Still waiting for the board spammers to tell us...I'm as unsure as you are. :confused:

lucius
01-16-2009, 10:59 PM
All true dogmatical religions come from the kabbalah and lead back to it: all that is scientific and great in religious dreams of all the illuminated such as Jacob Boehme Swedenborg, St. Martin and others similar is borrowed from, the kabbalah. All the masonic associations owe their secrets and symbols to it. ~Albert Pike, 'Morals and Dogmas', p. 744-745.

praise cthulhu...:D

Sheepdog11
01-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Well, it's not a religion, but I'm an atheist. Atheism is as much a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby...

Anyway, the reason I am an atheist is because I see no good reason to believe things without evidence, and I haven't gotten any good evidence toward any religion in the numerous forums and debates I've taken part in.

I was raised Catholic, but found numerous philosophical problems with what I was supposed to believe... For example, if God is all-good and all-knowing, then he would not create people of whom a majority he knew would go to hell. This is like wanting to have a baby, then finding out for certain that it would be taken from you the day it was born and tortured for use in psychological experimentation for the rest of its life, and STILL deciding to get pregnant and have the baby.

Anyway, I started doing research on evolution, the big bang, abiogenesis, etc and discovered that these things were not nearly as "fake" and "misguided" as I had been led to believe. I have now come to realize that the universe as it is is best explained through natural causes, not through a god.

And so here I am :)

asimplegirl
01-17-2009, 07:44 AM
So you picked out a religion that sounded close to what you would agree with, and went along with it?

No, I went through a couple years in my life where I studied every religion that I could understand well enough to try, and lived as a follower of that religion for a few months at a time.

Can you tell I was a sheltered child? :)

To be honest, I was a nice experiment. I got a great understanding of religion.

It was inspired by a picture I have mentioned here once before. I found it in a magazine at the dentist office. It was so touching I ripped it out, brought it home, and framed it.

It was three toddler sitting side by side. A Christian, a Muslim, and a Jew. At the bottom it said something to the effect of, "They were not born hating one another. Religion taught them to."

I still had the picture until my parents house burned down, and wish I still did- I would hang it in my stepson's bedroom.

asimplegirl
01-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Well, it's not a religion, but I'm an atheist. Atheism is as much a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby...

Anyway, the reason I am an atheist is because I see no good reason to believe things without evidence, and I haven't gotten any good evidence toward any religion in the numerous forums and debates I've taken part in.

I was raised Catholic, but found numerous philosophical problems with what I was supposed to believe... For example, if God is all-good and all-knowing, then he would not create people of whom a majority he knew would go to hell. This is like wanting to have a baby, then finding out for certain that it would be taken from you the day it was born and tortured for use in psychological experimentation for the rest of its life, and STILL deciding to get pregnant and have the baby.

Anyway, I started doing research on evolution, the big bang, abiogenesis, etc and discovered that these things were not nearly as "fake" and "misguided" as I had been led to believe. I have now come to realize that the universe as it is is best explained through natural causes, not through a god.

And so here I am :)

I actually decided that I wanted to be Catholic for almost the same reason you disliked it.:)

Catholicism seems to be the only religion in Christianity that accepts that those that are not believers will have the chance of heaven, with purgatory, instead of just going straight to hell.

I refuse to believe that good people will burn simply for not believing the same as I do.

That being said, I am glad you have found yourself. I am by far not a good Christian in many people's eyes, but LOVE how I feel knowing exactly who I am and what I believe in. It feels great, huh?

TER
01-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Catholicism seems to be the only religion in Christianity that accepts that those that are not believers will have the chance of heaven, with purgatory, instead of just going straight to hell

Actually, Orthodox Christianity is FAR more open to the idea of non-Christians finding salvation through the love of God, and the concept of purgatory is a relatively modern innovation of dogma fabricated by the Roman Catholic Church and has never been the teachings of the Church. It is in fact considered as heresy by the Orthodox Church.

asimplegirl
01-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Well, I believe in Purgatory, so I believe in this religion..That is all I said.

I still stand by that.

TER
01-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Well, I believe in Purgatory, so I believe in this religion..That is all I said.

I still stand by that.

Very well. :)
I was just letting the others know what the position of the Orthodox Church is on purgatory. Unfortunately, people in the west, do not know much about the Orthodox Church.

asimplegirl
01-17-2009, 09:36 AM
That's cool.

I have not heard much about this church or it's teachings.

TER
01-17-2009, 09:50 AM
That's cool.

I have not heard much about this church or it's teachings.

:)
For the first 1000 years of Christianity, there was one unified Church under 5 self-governing sees (or patriarchates): Rome (considered first among equals), Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem, and Alexanderia. All of these churches belonged to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church and any matters of faith were determined as described in Acts with a synod. There was never considered to be one ruler of the Church on earth, save for Jesus Christ. Instead, during times of controversy, the bishops from all over Christendom would gather together in what were called 'Eucemenical Councils' and such matters were discussed.

In 1054, after some years of growing distancing between Rome and the other 4 Patriachates due to theological and ecclesiastical disputes (most importantly, that of Papal Superiority), the Roman Bishop (now referred to as the Pope) excommunicated the Church of Constantinople led to the Great Schsim, whereas Rome left the other 4 patriachates.

Later on, the Roman Catholic Church would add doctrines on its own (such as indulgences which led to the Protestant Reformation), the Inquisition, and the Crusades (in which one Crusade sacked the city of Constantinople which was full of Christians).

Of course, for the most part, the beliefs are the same and there is much more that the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church share in common (that is, more which unites us then divides us), but there are definitely historical and more importantly, theological things that need to be healed in order for the two great branches of Christendom to once again unite.

Natalie
01-17-2009, 09:52 AM
My parents are technically Catholic, but I don't really consider myself Catholic. I'm more of a non-denominational Christian. I think the whole Catholic religion is completely bogus, with all the heirarchy within the church and the wierd rituals. I like to try different churches, but I work on Sundays now, so I can't go anymore.

heavenlyboy34
01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
My parents are technically Catholic, but I don't really consider myself Catholic. I'm more of a non-denominational Christian. I think the whole Catholic religion is completely bogus, with all the heirarchy within the church and the wierd rituals. I like to try different churches, but I work on Sundays now, so I can't go anymore.

I like the skimpy outfits you wear on Sunday afternoon when no one else is around. ;) And so does bunchies! http://www.wildpixels.com/bunchies/Images/bunchies_clear1.gif

wizardwatson
01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
The right religion is the one that solves the problem of religion in the least amount of time for the individual involved. The real question is "What is religion?"

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
The right religion is the one that solves the problem of religion in the least amount of time for the individual involved. The real question is "What is religion?"

In other words, you are trying to say...?

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-17-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm guessing that you are asking, "What is the function of religion," in order to find the particular religion which fulfills that role most expediently.

wizardwatson
01-17-2009, 04:48 PM

I'm guessing that you are asking, "What is the function of religion," in order to find the particular religion which fulfills that role most expediently.

I'm just saying that the reasons people seek religion are what is important. Therefore, it should be defined along those lines. Metaphysical worldviews are only relevant to the extent that they help explain phenomenon of the human condition.

Saying God does this, and God doesn't like that is sometimes best as the person in question may have no better concept or mental construct other than God in order to understand the message that is trying to be communicated.

heavenlyboy34
01-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm just saying that the reasons people seek religion are what is important. Therefore, it should be defined along those lines. Metaphysical worldviews are only relevant to the extent that they help explain phenomenon of the human condition.

Saying God does this, and God doesn't like that is sometimes best as the person in question may have no better concept or mental construct other than God in order to understand the message that is trying to be communicated.

You're a pretty interesting guy, wizard. :D Bunchies approves of you. http://www.wildpixels.com/bunchies/Images/bunchies_clear1.gifhttp://www.wildpixels.com/bunchies/Images/bunchies_clear1.gifhttp://www.wildpixels.com/bunchies/Images/bunchies_clear1.gifhttp://www.wildpixels.com/bunchies/Images/bunchies_clear1.gif

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-17-2009, 04:59 PM

I see. Thinking about it, some reasons for religion may be to help religious people answer the following:

1.) Why am I here?
2.) What happens after I die?
3.) Why do bad things happen to good people?
4.) Also establishes a moral code of conduct.

I agree that identifying reasons religious people seek out religion is definitely helpful in furthering understanding.

asimplegirl
01-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I think it is a good idea to ask yourself these questions IN SPITE OF your religion. May help you decide that you should move on, or that you are where you need to be...at the very least, it'll remind you of how much bigger than you *something* is.

Omphfullas Zamboni
01-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I think it is a good idea to ask yourself these questions IN SPITE OF your religion. May help you decide that you should move on, or that you are where you need to be...at the very least, it'll remind you of how much bigger than you *something* is.

It is always important to evaluate your experience so as to avoid, "just going through the motions".

Grimnir Wotansvolk
01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
the only true religion: The Church of Subgenius (http://www.subgenius.com/)