PDA

View Full Version : O.M.G. ~ my hometown justed asked for $217M!!!!

georgiapeach
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I can't decide if I want to hang my head in shame or throttle someone.

http://www.13wmaz.com/article/20090115/NEWS01/90115030/1005

Is there anyone from my area on here?

ihsv
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
$217 Million? That's all?

georgiapeach
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Shhh!!! Don't give them any ideas!!!

AJ Antimony
01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Can't really blame them; if the federal government is printing money and seemingly handing it to everybody, then I'd expect every the smallest of towns to ask for some.

UtahApocalypse
01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
The line is just starting to get longer..... wait a few months and see how many towns, cities, states, and businesses are all begging for their piece of the pie.

nobody's_hero
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Wow, I remember when there were Warner Robins candidates for the city council who said they wouldn't even accept federal grant money for fire equipment because they felt that it came with too many strings attached. I don't know if that candidate is on the council now. (This was about a year ago when I sat-in on a meeting)

Scribbler de Stebbing
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I was planning to put in for a few hundred million myself, with the cost of living what it is. Rumor has it they're sending out bailout application forms with tax documents this year. Anyone else hear that?

Kotin
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
its just an inflation tax credit anyway.. kinda a low ball if you think about it.

georgiapeach
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Wow, I remember when there were Warner Robins city council members who wouldn't even accept federal grant money for fire equipment because they felt that it came with too many strings attached. I don't know if those same people are on the council. (This was about a year ago when I sat-in on a meeting)
Hmmm. I don't know either. I'll have to investigate that. I take it that you are in the area?

nobody's_hero
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I live in Byron. I took sociology at MSC and one of our assignments was to attend a Warner Robins city council election debate (was wrong earlier, it was actually an election debate that I went to, not a council meeting) and ask questions of the candidates. One of the candidates was strongly opposed to federal grants because he said there were too many strings attached.

It has been a while since I took that course. I'm gonna correct my earlier post.

(We told the professor that some of us weren't Warner Robins residents, so she told us just to make up some questions, lol. Mine was something about extending the long line of commercial zones all the way out to I-75, and 'was there support for any plans to zone for industrial'. I didn't really care about the answer though, since I couldn't vote for any of them anyway.)

georgiapeach
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
That's pretty cool! I live in Bonaire, but right off of Feagin Mill so part of my neighborhood is in city limits and part of it isn't. Now that I know we live close together I'll give you a holler if anything interesting is happening locally.

literatim
01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
If I was a mayor or on the board of a town, I would request reparations for all the damage that their policies are inflicting on my town's citizens and businesses. If they wouldn't give it over, I would file a lawsuit.l

phill4paul
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
How does it feel to be standing on a corner with a sign that reads "Can't find work." and a tin cup in your hand?

satchelmcqueen
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I can't decide if I want to hang my head in shame or throttle someone.

http://www.13wmaz.com/article/20090115/NEWS01/90115030/1005

Is there anyone from my area on here?

up in fannin.

BeFranklin
01-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I was planning to put in for a few hundred million myself, with the cost of living what it is. Rumor has it they're sending out bailout application forms with tax documents this year. Anyone else hear that?

No, but I bet you could usefully mail out a made up document like that :p