PDA

View Full Version : Some Ask if Bailout Is Unconstitutional - Dick Armey to file lawsuit

Lucille
01-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Some Ask if Bailout Is Unconstitutional (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/us/politics/16challenge.html)

Now the FreedomWorks Foundation, which was founded in 1984 and declares itself to be “leading the fight for lower taxes, less government and more freedom,” says it plans to file a lawsuit against the program.

The group’s chairman is Dick Armey, the former Republican House majority leader. A memorandum the group distributed to Congress on Thursday laid out its argument that “when Congress delegates so much authority to the executive branch with so few rules to guide its discretion, Congress unconstitutionally transfers its lawmaking power to the executive.”

PatriotLegion
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Some Ask if Bailout Is Unconstitutional (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/us/politics/16challenge.html)

Aren't government/tax payer funded bailouts for private owned corporates unconstitutional.... I thought that was the first problem when they talked of the first one....

But as of late the constitution has becoming more and more unpopular then ever!

ihsv
01-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Unconstitutional? Pshaw! That's so "old school".

Get with it! This is the 21st century :)

Elwar
01-16-2009, 09:22 AM
What is this "Constitution" of which you speak?

Elwar
01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
“when Congress delegates so much authority to the executive branch with so few rules to guide its discretion, Congress unconstitutionally transfers its lawmaking power to the executive.”

This from a man who voted for giving the president the authority to declare war...

PatriotLegion
01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Bush on the Constitution, remember?

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

-President Bush

TonySutton
01-16-2009, 10:50 AM
“when Congress delegates so much authority to the executive branch with so few rules to guide its discretion, Congress unconstitutionally transfers its lawmaking power to the executive.”

This from a man who voted for giving the president the authority to declare war...

Yes, but the same man stated the VP lied to his face and once he found out about the lie, Dick Armey changed his stance and publicly opposed the war.

Elwar
01-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, but the same man stated the VP lied to his face and once he found out about the lie, Dick Armey changed his stance and publicly opposed the war.

Whether he believed Iraq was linked to Al Qaeda or not, he still voted to give the president the power to declare war...something that the Constitution states that only Congress has the power to do.

If he really believed Cheney's lie he should've followed the Constitution and declared war.