PDA

View Full Version : Obama writes letter to daughters

BlackTerrel
01-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I know a lot of people here hate him.... But I respect him a lot and this is a good read regardless of your views on him:

Dear Malia and Sasha,

I know that you've both had a lot of fun these last two years on the campaign trail, going to picnics and parades and state fairs, eating all sorts of junk food your mother and I probably shouldn't have let you have. But I also know that it hasn't always been easy for you and Mom, and that as excited as you both are about that new puppy, it doesn't make up for all the time we've been apart. I know how much I've missed these past two years, and today I want to tell you a little more about why I decided to take our family on this journey.

When I was a young man, I thought life was all about me-about how I'd make my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want. But then the two of you came into my world with all your curiosity and mischief and those smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day. And suddenly, all my big plans for myself didn't seem so important anymore. I soon found that the greatest joy in my life was the joy I saw in yours. And I realized that my own life wouldn't count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every opportunity for happiness and fulfillment in yours. In the end, girls, that's why I ran for President: because of what I want for you and for every child in this nation.

I want all our children to go to schools worthy of their potential-schools that challenge them, inspire them, and instill in them a sense of wonder about the world around them. I want them to have the chance to go to college-even if their parents aren't rich. And I want them to get good jobs: jobs that pay well and give them benefits like health care, jobs that let them spend time with their own kids and retire with dignity.

I want us to push the boundaries of discovery so that you'll live to see new technologies and inventions that improve our lives and make our planet cleaner and safer. And I want us to push our own human boundaries to reach beyond the divides of race and region, gender and religion that keep us from seeing the best in each other.

Sometimes we have to send our young men and women into war and other dangerous situations to protect our country-but when we do, I want to make sure that it is only for a very good reason, that we try our best to settle our differences with others peacefully, and that we do everything possible to keep our servicemen and women safe. And I want every child to understand that the blessings these brave Americans fight for are not free-that with the great privilege of being a citizen of this nation comes great responsibility.

That was the lesson your grandmother tried to teach me when I was your age, reading me the opening lines of the Declaration of Independence and telling me about the men and women who marched for equality because they believed those words put to paper two centuries ago should mean something.

She helped me understand that America is great not because it is perfect but because it can always be made better-and that the unfinished work of perfecting our union falls to each of us. It's a charge we pass on to our children, coming closer with each new generation to what we know America should be.

I hope both of you will take up that work, righting the wrongs that you see and working to give others the chances you've had. Not just because you have an obligation to give something back to this country that has given our family so much-although you do have that obligation. But because you have an obligation to yourself. Because it is only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you will realize your true potential.

These are the things I want for you-to grow up in a world with no limits on your dreams and no achievements beyond your reach, and to grow into compassionate, committed women who will help build that world. And I want every child to have the same chances to learn and dream and grow and thrive that you girls have. That's why I've taken our family on this great adventure.

I am so proud of both of you. I love you more than you can ever know. And I am grateful every day for your patience, poise, grace, and humor as we prepare to start our new life together in the White House.

Love, Dad

MRoCkEd
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
PS: I apologize in advance for how much I will fuck things up over the next 4-8 years.

angelatc
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
PPS: Sorry that I am such an attention whore that I released a private letter to the media to enhance that "caring father" persona thing the handlers want me to focus on.

hypnagogue
01-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't think Obama is a bad guy. He's just mistaken about several important things. Particularly economics.

As for the release of this letter, yeah it's pretty shitty. But that's par for the course in DC.

angelatc
01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I want all our children to go to schools worthy of their potential-schools that challenge them, inspire them, and instill in them a sense of wonder about the world around them,

....but I promoted the head of one of the worst systems in the country to run the Department of Education, so that's not gonna happen. And while your mother and I were able to choose a school for you that best suits your needs, I won't support a voucher system that would allow other "common people" parents that same opportunity.

yongrel
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Dear Sasha and Malia,

Thank you for being a valuable component of my Public Relations strategy. It means a lot to me that I can count on you to bring me an extra couple of percentage points in the approval polls. That the two of you have such winning smiles is immeasurably important to me. It only further validates my decision to keep the two of you, instead of exposing you in the woods like we did with your older, uglier sister. It is an indication of how much I appreciate your contributions to this administration when I say that I am glad I did not have you imitate Romulus and Remus. It would have been a grave loss, both for this country and my campaign.

On this note of supreme gratitude that I must ask a favour from the two of you. Naturally, the office of the president comes with a certain prestige and expectation of conduct. For my first term to be a success will require a dedication and sense of duty from all involved, including both of you. Like Hillary Clinton's job is to smile menacingly at foreign leaders, and Rahm Emmanuel's responsibility to threaten my opponents on Capitol Hill with bizarre acts of physical intimidation, the two of you are charged with an extremely important task. Though seemingly small and straightforward, I cannot overstate the significance of your role. Simply put, you must be cute.

Thus far, you two have performed splendidly in this capacity. All I ask from you these next few years is to maintain this course, improving whenever possible. It would please me enormously to see the two of you become the media darlings I know you are capable of being. The two of you have great potential to assume the greatest role of your lifetimes: America's Sweethearts.

With charming giggles and adorable smiles, you are charged with capturing the hearts and minds of a country. On the strength of your dynamic duo, I will maintain my sparkling veneer, which is to everyone's benefit. With your help, I can be a more effective president.

After all, a popular president is one who wields power in Congress. If the two of you continue your sparkling success, surely I will be able to execute on my promised expansions of government care and support of the people. Like Johnson and his landslide, I will have the political capital necessary to reshape society as I see fit.

If you follow this train of thought then, I believe it leads one to the inescapable conclusion that the two of you, so small yet so powerful, have the power to change America.

So girls, will you help me? Will you make America a better place?

Love,
The Man Who Comes To Dinner Occasionally, Your Father

PS: If you don't answer this letter with a jubilant and adorable "Yes We Can!," I'll give your puppy to Eric Holder. You don't want that, do you? I didn't think so.

Original_Intent
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
What a contrived piece of crap. Probably had a speech writer throw it together.

Rael
01-15-2009, 09:11 PM
What a bunch of shit. This is all about marketing.

ronpaulhawaii
01-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Obama's letter disgusts me. As others are saying, it is contrived marketing BS.

Yongrel's is much more accurate

angelatc
01-15-2009, 09:37 PM
OMFG - Yongrel, that's hysterical!

JeNNiF00F00
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
bleh..obama gives me gas.

decatren
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
why write letters? can't he just fooken tell them? what's with this movie like letter writing?

asimplegirl
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
While I think the letter sweet, it obviously was not meant to be anything special since it was released to the media.

Secondly, you, OP, are falling right into the trap opened for you.

BTW, I don't think O is that bad of a guy, he is sure to care about his family, he has proven that he has good intentions behimd his motives for this country. That being said, he doesn't stand for much I support.

angelatc
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Right now, I am happier to have Obama in the Commander In Chief position than I would be war mongering McCain.

There's no guarantee that Obama isn't going to engage our troops on some ridiculous mission, but there was no doubt that McCain would.

Kotin
01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
yongrel- the resident Bullshit Translator.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
How sick to use your kids as part of a publicity stunt. How much attention does this jack off need?

BlackTerrel
01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Obama's letter disgusts me. As others are saying, it is contrived marketing BS.

You can disagree with some of a guys policies and still respect him as a man.

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 12:02 AM
he is using the love of his daughters as a marketing ploy basically.

I respect that he loves his family, but as a man, this makes him questionable, and has nothing to do with his policies.

Pauls' Revere
01-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Yongrel: A request

Please translate President Bush's farewell address!
:D

anaconda
01-16-2009, 12:23 AM
My beloved daughters,

Please forgive me for being a yes man to the Trilateral Commission and a minion for the most evil and influential of men. I care nothing for the concept of the Republic, nor for what it stands. I am contemptuous of anyone before me who has stood up to social injustice and only laugh at the words of those who struggled to give me a home rich with opportunity: "Free at Last, Free at Last, Thank God Almighty We Are Free at Last!!"

Your Father ( I think, let's double check your birth certificates..the official vault copies...),

Barry Soetoro

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Hes an Ivy League lawyer turned Chicago politician who made the right moves, made the right friends, and stepped on the right people to get to the top. He then had a heroic status thrust upon him by an out of control media conglomerate.

Where may I ask does your respect for the man come from?

anaconda
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Or have no respect for him as a man.

sidster
01-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Yongrel: A request

Please translate President Bush's farewell address!
:D

Someone at work summed it up best IMO

He [George W. Bush] started with crashing planes, and he finishes
with crashing planes.

-- O.A. 2008-JAN-15

ronpaulhawaii
01-16-2009, 12:55 AM

I could, if he gave me reason to.

That letter has the opposite effect, though.

kathy88
01-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Geezus... THANKS YONGREL I just spewed coffee all over my computer screen.

Freedom 4 all
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
He's a decent guy. I wouldn't mind if he was my next door neighbour. I'd have a beer with him and all that. I certainly don't think we have enough to judge him as an evil sociopath yet. Of course I'd rather Ron Paul was POTUS

tremendoustie
01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Here's the most positive thing I can say about Obama:

I think he's a nice guy, and very intelligent. I would enjoy going for a beer with him or something, and I think he's a natural leader.

I just don't like where he's leading us, and I think he's wrong on almost everything. I would say the same for McCain, except I don't think he's particularly bright, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy the beer nearly as much, and I don't think he's a natural leader, or a particularly nice guy ...

I guess, do you want a competent, intelligent, natural leader leading us down the crapper, or an incompetent unfriendly non-leader trying to lead us there? I'm not sure of the answer, actually ...

P.S. I still think they're both scumbags, from a moral perspective. Releasing this letter is pretty scummy IMO.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
A letter from Obama:

Dear CNN, um eh, my daughters,

Thanks for all your support. Couldn't have done it without your eternal love.

PatriotLegion
01-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I guess a letter between him and his daughters aren't even private. More like an open letter to look at me be a great father and a great "leader".... PR BS....

A. Havnes
01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
It's probably a real letter. Remember, Tsar Nicholas II wrote very beautiful and wonderful letters to his daughters as well (you can read them online), but we all know what sort of a politician he was! Great father, yes. But the Jews he persecuted, the working class he ripped-off, and the stupid Russian-Japan war he fought say differently. The bolsheviks who took his place managed to be a lot worse, however.

Crash Martinez
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I would absolutely NOT enjoy having a beer with (in no particular order):
Obama
Bush(es)
Clinton(s)
Hitler
Castro(s)
Pelosi
Chavez
Stalin
Roosevelt(s)
Kennedy(s) ...(well, except the Dead Kennedys!)
Nixon
Reagan
Mao
Redford
Ho
Guevara
Lincoln
L.Johnson
Rumsfeld
Bernanke
Greenspan

I could go on....

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Though I really don't like Bush as a prez, I think having a beer with him would be close to having one with anyone else I know, if he left out the politics.

I could see him sitting on the porch, cussin'. lol.

But, if he ever brought up politics, I'd have to make an ass out of myself, live up to my family name, and have the cops called on me. :)

Firegirl
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Dear Sasha and Malia,

Thank you for being a valuable component of my Public Relations strategy. It means a lot to me that I can count on you to bring me an extra couple of percentage points in the approval polls. That the two of you have such winning smiles is immeasurably important to me. It only further validates my decision to keep the two of you, instead of exposing you in the woods like we did with your older, uglier sister. It is an indication of how much I appreciate your contributions to this administration when I say that I am glad I did not have you imitate Romulus and Remus. It would have been a grave loss, both for this country and my campaign.

On this note of supreme gratitude that I must ask a favour from the two of you. Naturally, the office of the president comes with a certain prestige and expectation of conduct. For my first term to be a success will require a dedication and sense of duty from all involved, including both of you. Like Hillary Clinton's job is to smile menacingly at foreign leaders, and Rahm Emmanuel's responsibility to threaten my opponents on Capitol Hill with bizarre acts of physical intimidation, the two of you are charged with an extremely important task. Though seemingly small and straightforward, I cannot overstate the significance of your role. Simply put, you must be cute.

Thus far, you two have performed splendidly in this capacity. All I ask from you these next few years is to maintain this course, improving whenever possible. It would please me enormously to see the two of you become the media darlings I know you are capable of being. The two of you have great potential to assume the greatest role of your lifetimes: America's Sweethearts.

With charming giggles and adorable smiles, you are charged with capturing the hearts and minds of a country. On the strength of your dynamic duo, I will maintain my sparkling veneer, which is to everyone's benefit. With your help, I can be a more effective president.

After all, a popular president is one who wields power in Congress. If the two of you continue your sparkling success, surely I will be able to execute on my promised expansions of government care and support of the people. Like Johnson and his landslide, I will have the political capital necessary to reshape society as I see fit.

If you follow this train of thought then, I believe it leads one to the inescapable conclusion that the two of you, so small yet so powerful, have the power to change America.

So girls, will you help me? Will you make America a better place?

Love,
The Man Who Comes To Dinner Occasionally, Your Father

PS: If you don't answer this letter with a jubilant and adorable "Yes We Can!," I'll give your puppy to Eric Holder. You don't want that, do you? I didn't think so.

Wow, this made my day. The other people in my office couldn't figure out why I was laughing so hard. Great job!

Obama
Bush(es)
Clinton(s)
Hitler
Castro(s)
Pelosi
Chavez
Stalin
Roosevelt(s)
Nixon
Reagan
Mao
Redford
Ho
Guevara
Lincoln
L.Johnson
Rumsfeld
Bernanke
Greenspan

I could go on....

Hell yea, I would LOVE to have a beer with some Kennedy zombies!

Crash Martinez
01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Hell yea, I would LOVE to have a beer with some Kennedy zombies!

Pretty funny! ...but I was referring to the punk band.

Pennsylvania
01-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I'd like to have a beer with all of them.

Freedom 4 all
01-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Y'all are mising the best part about beer with Obama. Seeing as he is a millionaire AND left wing, he'll have to "redistribute" beer to me, who is not a millionaire, until I get so drunk I pass out after taking a swing at a secret service agent.

I also wouldn't mind getting stoned with GWB like in Harold and Kumar. And maybe if he's stoned enough he'll start admitting to stuff.

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I lol'd.

You sure you are passed out after taking a swing at a SSA?

Andrew-Austin
01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Even a huge jackass / abusive parent, can be all sweet towards his kids in public.

You know the type... The horrible abusive father who yells at his kids in private, but at a family gathering or something will be all cheery towards them putting up a false front.

I'm not saying Obama is a bad parent, but just the same thing applies on a greater scale. Not shit hes going to seem like the world's greatest father in a letter released to the MSM, its PR crap.

Stalin had to kiss some babies ya know.

jclay2
01-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Obama
Bush(es)
Clinton(s)
Hitler
Castro(s)
Pelosi
Chavez
Stalin
Roosevelt(s)
Nixon
Reagan
Mao
Redford
Ho
Guevara
Lincoln
L.Johnson
Rumsfeld
Bernanke
Greenspan

I could go on....

Even though I don't drink, I wouldn't mind having one with Bernanke. If I could get him to intake enough, he might start releasing the inner workings of the fed! Also after he is flat drunk, you could do something funny like light his beard on fire! Just kidding but seriously.:eek:

revolutionist
01-16-2009, 06:34 PM
If he really meant it, he wouldn't have made this letter public. He would have given the letter to his daughters and kept it secret.

anaconda
01-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Obama
Bush(es)
Clinton(s)
Hitler
Castro(s)
Pelosi
Chavez
Stalin
Roosevelt(s)
Nixon
Reagan
Mao
Redford
Ho
Guevara
Lincoln
L.Johnson
Rumsfeld
Bernanke
Greenspan

I could go on....

What would be wrong about drinking with Chavez? Also, Hitler would be a trip to have a few brewskis with. Admit it.

The_Orlonater
01-17-2009, 08:46 PM
No person gives a crap about his fatherhood.

tropicangela
01-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I would expect this letter to be released by his daughters, if they so choose, after their father is no longer president and/or dead years (perhaps) down the road. Not plastered in the news right now before he is even inaugurated.

This reminds me of how they renamed that school after him before he's even actually been president.

Beer, redistribute LOL

tonesforjonesbones
01-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Yongrel...fantastic! I laughed out loud...tones

robert4rp08
01-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Couldn't get past the first 2 paragraphs. How is that a good letter? It's basically saying he wants to be President so he can implement socialist policies for the greater good-- for the children. WTF?!?!

anaconda
01-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Obama is an idiot.