PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to believe in self-ownership and taxation?

Kludge
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Anyone care to make the argument? Is it possible?

wizardwatson
01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Well you can always tax yourself.

yongrel
01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Self-ownership ≠ the right to property outside of yourself, necessarily.

Kludge
01-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Self-ownership ≠ the right to property outside of yourself, necessarily.

I never questioned that self-ownership means you own your labor and wealth created with your labor.

yongrel
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I never questioned that self-ownership means you own your labor and wealth created with your labor.

Well, unless you maintain that self-ownership and general ownership are necessarily linked, then self-ownership and taxation do not ever need to be in conflict.

I happen to believe that many forms of taxation violate property rights of individuals, but it is not impossible to reconcile self-ownership and taxation in any form.

heavenlyboy34
01-15-2009, 04:46 PM
it's in the constitution.

Kludge
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, unless you maintain that self-ownership and general ownership are necessarily linked, then self-ownership and taxation do not ever need to be in conflict.

I happen to believe that many forms of taxation violate property rights of individuals, but it is not impossible to reconcile self-ownership and taxation in any form.

I don't understand. If self-ownership is recognized, how can a functional government even exist? I should be able to secede at any time, because government shouldn't "own" land.

heavenlyboy34
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't understand. If self-ownership is recognized, how can a functional government even exist? I should be able to secede at any time, because government shouldn't "own" land.

It would exist as an administrative body, moving papers around when told and such office work as that.

dannno
01-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Only if the taxation is voluntary.

hypnagogue
01-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Taxation is voluntary because citizenship is voluntary. You can always remove yourself from taxation. The trouble is, most people don't want to go where there is no taxation, ie. the isolated places of the world.

I think the underlying issue here, is that people feel they should be able to take their land with them. In most cases you can take any other property.

Taxation and land secession are two related but distinct issues. It would be easy to simply declare that the boundaries of a nation should be defined by the consent of the land owners. The repercussions would have to be considered however. Imagine the troubles that could be caused by little sections of a city declaring themselves seceded. We'd have a political map that looked like swiss cheese. It would be a very difficult situation.

The option always remains to sell the land you're on now and purchase land somewhere you find the taxation more to your liking.

Number19
01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Is it possible to believe in self-ownership and taxation?Anyone care to make the argument? Is it possible?Yes. The smaller the political entity, the more citizens have direct say in the policy of that governmental unit. At the township level, it would be quite easy for a libertarian to accept taxation. First, he could have a participatory voice in deciding the issue, and second, there are literally tens of thousands of communities spread out over 50 states. If you cannot support the local politics you have the freedom to move. So, if you find that you directly benefit from the taxation and it is not too burdensome, it is your choice. There is no conflict in doing so.