PDA

View Full Version : When does RP have to decide by, for a 2012 run?

ClayTrainor
01-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Isn't there some sort of deadline, or something, for Ron Paul to decide whether or not he's going to run in 2012?

When is that deadline?

brandon
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Middle of this year

ClayTrainor
01-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Middle of this year

Alright, cool, thanks for the rough estimate :cool:

robertwerden
01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I doubt he will run, although I think he would be stupid not to.

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Based on when he decided to run for 2008, he would decide between Jan and March of 2011.

-t

Imperial
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Based on when he decided to run for 2008, he would decide between Jan and March of 2011.

I think that that is one mistake he won't make again.

He should run long enough to enter the first couple of debates at least.

haaaylee
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
he doesn't "have" to do anything. give the man some freedom.;)

roho76
01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
If he's gonna do it, the earlier the better IMO. If he waits till everybody else stars throwing their hat into the ring he'll be drowned out in the media. He needs to start soon and perpetuate his message and continue to tell it like it is and reminding everyone that he's running so when everything he says comes true like the collapsing of the dollar he can say here is the cure.

Part of me says that he should help someone else run and keep his seat in Congress. He could be there till the day he dies. His constituents know what they have going for them and he's very lucky for that. But RP needs is in his early seventies and he has become popular with an extremely younger base and IMO he needs to transfer his political standing onto someone, maybe Rand, but someone needs to carry the torch or I think we'll lose a lot of support for Liberty.

*EDIT* I didn't mean to imply he should file the paper work yet but at least plant the seeds if it is his goal. I just reread that and it sounded as though it came of that way. Sorry.

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
It'd be best if he announced early. We could donate money in chunks, and we could all eventually max out, tell friends and family, and really get the ball rolling.

RickyJ
01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Ron Paul won't run again. If he does you will be surprised how many former supporters will not support him again. He lost a lot of support when he didn't follow through on his pledge to stay in the race until the convention and to try to win it there. Also using money donated to the presidential campaign for his congressional race was not wise at all. Nothing illegal about it, but it did make many that donated to his campaign think twice about supporting him again. That money should have all been spent on the presidential race. Ron Paul had a bad campaign staff and that was his fault because he chose them. Sorry, but Ron Paul talks a good game, but he doesn't follow through. I see no reason to support him anymore. Sadly he is only better than most politicians, but he is still a politician. :(

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Ron Paul won't run again. If he does you will be surprised how many former supporters will not support him again. He lost a lot of support when he didn't follow through on his pledge to stay in the race until the convention and to try to win it there. Also using money donated to the presidential campaign for his congressional race was not wise at all. Nothing illegal about it, but it did make many that donated to his campaign think twice about supporting him again. That money should have all been spent on the presidential race. Ron Paul had a bad campaign staff and that was his fault because he chose them. Sorry, but Ron Paul talks a good game, but he doesn't follow through. I see no reason to support him anymore. Sadly he is only better than most politicians, but he is still a politician. :(

I think you're 100% wrong there. People that identify with his platform won't support him because there was no way we could win at the convention when even our own people didn't show up? That's total bunk.

There are a ton of reasons why 2012 would be GREAT for our message, his candidacy, and I KNOW we'll garner MUCH more support.

AJ Antimony
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Are you serious? He DID stay in the race until the convention. He was on the ballot in every remaining primary after McCain "won." I think that's the definition of staying in the race. Oh, and then there was that Rally for the Republic, which was right next door to the Republican National Convention. I think that's the definition of staying all the way until the convention.

Oh and then there were all his supporters who tried their very best to win locally and at the state conventions, but came up short in most cases because they were outnumbered but in a few cases because the Party pulled every dirty trick to keep them out.

So I don't know what fantasy you were expecting, but RP did stay in the race until the convention and tried as hard as he could to have his voice heard.

hotbrownsauce
01-15-2009, 03:15 PM
If Paul wins he'll be 80 at the end of his first term and the oldest person elected to the presidency beating out Regan.

Elwar
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
It'd be best if he announced early. We could donate money in chunks, and we could all eventually max out, tell friends and family, and really get the ball rolling.

You can max out at $2,300 -per year-.

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
You can max out at $2,300 -per year-.

Then I suppose the sooner we get started, the better!

satchelmcqueen
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
he needs to announce now IMO. he has a ton of great interviews going right now and is getting praise from those on the networks as knowing how to fix things. he has a ton of momentum right now and ild really like to see that continue before any of the other asshats put their name out there.

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
he needs to announce now IMO. he has a ton of great interviews going right now and is getting praise from those on the networks as knowing how to fix things. he has a ton of momentum right now and ild really like to see that continue before any of the other asshats put their name out there.

Agreed. I wish there was some way we could contact him or Benton (even though I think Benton dropped the ball on numerous occasions) and get this started.

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2009, 04:24 PM
So write him:

http://www.house.gov/paul/contact.shtml

-t

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
So write him:

http://www.house.gov/paul/contact.shtml

-t

I'm not convinced he ever really gets letters through that link. However, I know some people here are very close with what was the campaign.

Number19
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
You can max out at $2,300 -per year-.I think it's $2,300 per election cycle, not per year. Once a candidate formally announces his candidacy, you can contribute this amount only, though the convention. The primary campaign represents a cycle and then the the actual presidential campaign represents another cycle.

There is also a lot of empty rhetoric on these threads about how RP needs to coordinate more closely with the grassroots. Election law does not allow him to do so.

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I think it's $2,300 per election cycle, not per year. Once a candidate formally announces his candidacy, you can contribute this amount only, though the convention. The primary campaign represents a cycle and then the the actual presidential campaign represents another cycle.

There is also a lot of empty rhetoric on these threads about how RP needs to coordinate more closely with the grassroots. Election law does not allow him to do so.

That's what I thought to be true, too. I do think it'd be a sin if he didn't run, though.

Feelgood
01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
How many times does he have to say he is not going to run, before this question stops being asked?

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
How many times does he have to say he is not going to run, before this question stops being asked?

He never said he wasn't going to run. How many times does that need to be brought up before you stop posting out of ignorance? There's an interview where Benton says they still have to decide if Ron will run in 2012.

Now, do you want to stop with the attitude? It's not needed, plus it's ill informed. :rolleyes:

ShannonOBrien
01-15-2009, 08:41 PM
If he ran I'd max out and give up taking any vacations for a year.

heavenlyboy34
01-15-2009, 08:49 PM
If RP decides to run again, please post ASAP, OP. I need plenty of time to make some campaign propaganda! :D:);)

Mahkato
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I think RP has paid his dues for Liberty. If he wants to run again, that'd be great, but I certainly won't fault him for doing whatever else he feels like.

Stary Hickory
01-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Well I look at it this way. If he can manage to run again he needs a good VP pick. If the man gives four more years (really 8 with campaigning) to the US it would quite a noble thing.

If he has a good VP pick, then he could step down after his first term, and let the VP continue. A policy of change could be maintained for 12 years this way. I think Ron Paul has it in him, and I think he is the single person in the government who could reform the monetary system and give the people back their freedom.

So I am fully behind Ron Paul if his health allows it. There simply is nobody in government like him, at least in DC. I just hope he can find a good VP, and make a real solid commitment to reform the monetary system and reinforce limitations on the Federal Government.

Although knowing Ron Paul he would fight everyday for America and it's citizens. It would make me proud to be an American if he were able to win. So don't count him out, if Obama continues with crazy government intervention, he will cause a serious problem in our economy, and one that Ron Paul would be quite capable of meeting head on.

paulitics
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I think Ron Paul is gaining momentmum and is not near peaking. He has had more positive publicity now, then he was running. I think we did awesome considering no name recognition and guys like Mitt Romney campaigning 2 years before us. We also now have close to a million people in the movement that can donate and campaign. It would be the most impressive "grassroots" ever launched. It would be worth it just to see Ron in the debates again schooling these big gvt Rhinos. Why give that up?

ToyBoat
01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
This is probably an old thought in here, but why isn't there a push for Rand Paul to run?

powerofreason
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Ron Paul is sadly just too old for another grueling presidential campaign. Let the man enjoy some well deserved rest, imo.

rockandrollsouls
01-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Ron Paul is sadly just too old for another grueling presidential campaign. Let the man enjoy some well deserved rest, imo.

Except he's never said anything of this manner and seems more fired up than ever to try and save our country...if he wanted rest he would have given up the fight, left the congress, and given up when they tried to push these bills through. Hell, he's fighting harder than ever and I truly believe we've rekindled his fire. I think he knows his message is more popular now than ever.

Paulitics is right; Ron's gaining momentum, it's nowhere near peaking, the establishment is starting to recognize he's right, people are switching sides and he's got more support than ever. Those of you trumpeting the contrary clearly haven't been on the frontline.

Join The Paul Side
01-15-2009, 10:53 PM
If Paul wins he'll be 80 at the end of his first term and the oldest person elected to the presidency beating out Regan.

So what. I'd take the old wise guy who's only motive is to truly help the nation he loves be restored to the Constitutional Republic it should be, over the greedy self serving special interest catering young pup only looking out for his own. :cool:

anaconda
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
RP should announce that he is considering becoming a candidate for President in 2012, and as a preliminary and necessary step produces the original vault copy of his birth certificate to prove that he is respectful of the law and is, in fact, Constitutionally eligible to serve as President.

TER
01-16-2009, 01:21 AM
If he does decide, he should be the first Republican to publicly announce it, IMHO.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-16-2009, 01:35 AM

huh?

Nothing in this post made a shred of sense.

nodope0695
01-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Though it would be good, I doubt he will run. He'll nearly 80 years old!! But what about his son, Rand? Couldn't he start early and get the ball rolling? Now would be a good time to get his name out there. Just an idea.

hotbrownsauce
01-16-2009, 04:03 AM
There are more opportunities out there then what we see, for other candidates, and possibilities for Paul. When times are bad people are desperate. We (the grassroots) have already set the stage for more "libertarian" leaning Republicans to run for office. If Obama is a disappointment who knows, we may elect someone we like.

As I recall the run to become President by Paul was probably 1/10th the reason why he ran. He ran because of the "freedom philosophy". The U.S.A. needed to be reminded Freedom, and capitalism works and people still believe in it. He ran mostly for you and I, not for president. He went out to get our support and see if the remnant was alive and well just as he has said in the past, "The remnant is alive and well."

The republican party has slowly opened its door to us. I remember in my county caucus they tried disenfranchising us. But at the state level they played fair. Even though we still have more obstacles to get past, we are making headway.

If Paul runs again I see it as garnering more support for freedom just as we did the first time. We can't win over a nation in one night that has been through a hellish 100 years. We are the remnant and what we do will dictate how and if freedom as we know it continues. Another Paul run will be much more symbolic than the first time and at the same time probably much more serious towards gaining the Presidency.

P.S. I hate seeing "IMHO" or "IMO", of course it is your opinion! It's like saying "the end" after your done typing each time.

the end

Nate K
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
If you want him to run, start petitioning.

qh4dotcom
01-16-2009, 07:47 PM

He'll be 81 on January 20, 2017

hotbrownsauce
01-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Well I had a pretty good guess going from memory and not actually seeing when his birth date was and all that. - Thanks =)

Catatonic
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
So what. I'd take the old wise guy who's only motive is to truly help the nation he loves be restored to the Constitutional Republic it should be, over the greedy self serving special interest catering young pup only looking out for his own. :cool:

After being screwed by a young, charismatic empty suit for 4 years the people might be more receptive to grandfatherly old Ron Paul :)