PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom : Personality and individualism

Josh_LA
01-14-2009, 08:33 PM
We've all heard Howard Roark's famous defense speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7oZ9yWqO4

But can you guess who wrote THIS?

The Movement must promote respect for personality by every means. It must never forget that in personal worth lies the worth of everything human; that every idea and every achievement is the result of one man’s creative force, and that the admiration of greatness constitutes not only a tribute of thanks to the latter, but also casts a unifying bond around the grateful.

There can be no doubt that personality was then the sole factor in all decisions and achievements, which were afterwards taken over by the whole of humanity as a matter of course. An exact exemplification of this may be found in those fundamental military principles which have now become the basis of all strategy in war. Originally they sprang from the brain of a single individual and in the course of many years, maybe even thousands of years, they were accepted all round as a matter of course and this gained universal validity.

The broad masses do not invent, nor does the majority organize or think; but always and in every case the individual man, the person.

Therefore not only does the organization possess no right to prevent men of brains from rising above the multitude but, on the contrary, it must use its organizing powers to enable and promote that ascension as far as it possibly can. It must start out from the principle that the blessings of mankind never came from the masses but from the creative brains of individuals, who are therefore the real benefactors of humanity. It is in the interest of all to assure men of creative brains a decisive influence and facilitate their work. This common interest is surely not served by allowing the multitude to rule, for they are not capable of thinking nor are they efficient and in no case whatsoever can they be said to be gifted. Only those should rule who have the natural temperament and gifts of leadership.

All the material inventions which we see around us have been produced by the creative powers and capabilities of individuals. And all these inventions help man to raise himself higher and higher above the animal world and to separate himself from that world in an absolutely definite way. Hence they serve to elevate the human species and continually to promote its progress.

Beautiful words aren't they?

wizardwatson
01-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Google says Hitler.

krazy kaju
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Talk about a troll job.

Conza88
01-14-2009, 09:17 PM
But can you guess who wrote THIS?

The Movement must promote respect for personality by every means. It must never forget that in personal worth lies the worth of everything human; that every idea and every achievement is the result of one man’s creative force, and that the admiration of greatness constitutes not only a tribute of thanks to the latter, but also casts a unifying bond around the grateful.

There can be no doubt that personality was then the sole factor in all decisions and achievements, which were afterwards taken over by the whole of humanity as a matter of course. An exact exemplification of this may be found in those fundamental military principles which have now become the basis of all strategy in war. Originally they sprang from the brain of a single individual and in the course of many years, maybe even thousands of years, they were accepted all round as a matter of course and this gained universal validity.

The broad masses do not invent, nor does the majority organize or think; but always and in every case the individual man, the person.

Therefore not only does the organization possess no right to prevent men of brains from rising above the multitude but, on the contrary, it must use its organizing powers to enable and promote that ascension as far as it possibly can. It must start out from the principle that the blessings of mankind never came from the masses but from the creative brains of individuals, who are therefore the real benefactors of humanity. It is in the interest of all to assure men of creative brains a decisive influence and facilitate their work. This common interest is surely not served by allowing the multitude to rule, for they are not capable of thinking nor are they efficient and in no case whatsoever can they be said to be gifted. Only those should rule who have the natural temperament and gifts of leadership.

All the material inventions which we see around us have been produced by the creative powers and capabilities of individuals. And all these inventions help man to raise himself higher and higher above the animal world and to separate himself from that world in an absolutely definite way. Hence they serve to elevate the human species and continually to promote its progress.

Beautiful words aren't they?

Personality? :eek: Cult of personality is what comes to mind. No thanks. I respect actions & their merit.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Words... yes, words...

I'd be interested to know who this is... since knowing you, I am puzzled as to why you would post this. Beautiful? When have you ever used that word?

You're all about death, destruction and immorality. What gives?

Edit: Ahhh... Hitler... nvm, carry on. :rolleyes:

Josh_LA
01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Personality? :eek: Cult of personality is what comes to mind. No thanks. I respect actions & their merit.

So you can't deny it completely, only how it's worded. Besides, in this context, personality sounds like it means "difference" and "uniqueness" which obviously puts merits as priority (or so I think).

Words... yes, words...

I'd be interested to know who this is... since knowing you, I am puzzled as to why you would post this. Beautiful? When have you ever used that word?

Stolen from the mentality of people like you.

You're all about death, destruction and immorality. What gives?

Edit: Ahhh... Hitler... nvm, carry on. :rolleyes:

". . . It is life alone that all things must serve. "
Guess who again!

And I'm not "all about" anything, there's a difference between being OK with something and being about something.

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I am not afraid to admit I cannot grasp this. I just am not smart enough to get it. It is so far over my head, it doesn't even touch my hair.

Is there some ditsy blond words you can use to tel me what the OP means?

Conza88
01-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Stolen from the mentality of people like you.

"Rhetoric - the art of ruling the minds of men."

". . . It is life alone that all things must serve. "
Guess who again!

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.”

Guess who!

"Anyone who sees and paints a sky green and fields blue ought to be sterilized."

Wait... is that you Josh?! oops, no. Guess who!

"The day of individual happiness has passed."

Guess who!

"The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence."

This guy must be your hero. Guess who!

:rolleyes:

Josh_LA
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I am not afraid I cannot grasp this. I just am not smart enough to get it. It is so far over my head, it doesn't even touch my hair.

Is there some ditsy blond words you can use to tel me what the OP means?

Hitler wrote it.

My point is, don't be ashamed you may share beliefs with Hitler.

Josh_LA
01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
"Rhetoric - the art of ruling the minds of men."

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.”

Guess who!

"Anyone who sees and paints a sky green and fields blue ought to be sterilized."

Wait... is that you Josh?! oops, no. Guess who!

"The day of individual happiness has passed."

Guess who!

"The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence."

This guy must be your hero. Guess who!

:rolleyes:

The difference is, I don't mind sharing beliefs with Hitler, or Marx, but you do. So you're not in the least shaming me, but you seem to be bothered that I started this and you cannot disagree completely with Hitler.

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh, yeah. Behind every perceived "evil" person is the intention to do what they feel is right.

The funny thing is, alot of us have some of the same ideas about what is right.

I probably have some ideas in common with much worse people than Hitler, if there is such a thing.

Josh_LA
01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh, yeah. Behind every perceived "evil" person is the intention to do what they feel is right.

The funny thing is, alot of us have some of the same ideas about what is right.

I probably have some ideas in common with much worse people than Hitler, if there is such a thing.

this is when I know somebody is actually thinking

Will Smith once commented that Hitler did not believe he was evil, he had his own way of justifying to himself what he did was GOOD. (no kidding!)
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/01/will-smiths-hit.html

Nobody believes what he does is evil, even if he may agree he's evil in minds of others, to do so would be acting in a contradiction to what he believes for himself.

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, exactly.

Some times we have to look deeper into the person and wonder what we would feel in that position to figure out exactly what they are...Are they truly evil, or are they misguided with their own form of good intentions?

Am I talking in circles? (Am watching family guy, and I can never look away)

Josh_LA
01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, exactly.

Some times we have to look deeper into the person and wonder what we would feel in that position to figure out exactly what they are...Are they truly evil, or are they misguided with their own form of good intentions?

Am I talking in circles? (Am watching family guy, and I can never look away)

no, that's actually a very important point, we SHOULD be more understanding of a person's character and intentions before judging them.

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Okay good. I was scared I would say something that made no sense, since I kept having to repeat what I was wanting to say in my head over and over before I finally finished typing the sentence. :)

TV does that.