PDA

View Full Version : Dick Cheney - no limits on Executive power

Brian4Liberty
01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Did anyone see Cheney's interview on Fox News Sunday? It was a couple of weeks ago.

His logic is a little alarming. He seems to be saying that because the President can end the world in a nuclear holocaust any time he feels like it, he can also do anything less than that (he doesn't have to "check with anybody").

WALLACE: This is at the core of the controversies that I want to get to with you in a moment. If the president during war decides to do something to protect the country, is it legal?

CHENEY: General proposition, I'd say yes. You need to be more specific than that. I mean — but clearly, when you take the oath of office on January 20th of 2001, as we did, you take the oath to support and defend and protect the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

There's no question about what your responsibilities are in that regard. And again, I think that there are bound to be debates and arguments from time to time, and wrestling back and forth, about what kind of authority is appropriate in any specific circumstance.

But I think that what we've done has been totally consistent with what the Constitution provides for.

The president of the United States now for 50 years is followed at all times, 24 hours a day, by a military aide carrying a football that contains the nuclear codes that he would use and be authorized to use in the event of a nuclear attack on the United States.

He could launch a kind of devastating attack the world's never seen. He doesn't have to check with anybody. He doesn't have to call the Congress. He doesn't have to check with the courts. He has that authority because of the nature of the world we live in.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,470706,00.html

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2009, 09:26 AM
I should also point out that he swears to "defend and protect the Constitution", but immeadiately transforms that into defending the United States from terrorists. It's not the same thing, and of course they permanently destroy the Constitution in the process. Every power grabbing, Constitution destroying politician uses the precedent of the prior "emergency" Constitution violations to further destroy the law that they swore to protect and defend.

polomertz
01-14-2009, 09:50 AM
It's the faulty logic of, "I'm going to protect this for you so I'm going to take it away first." It's like taking our freedom to protect our freedom. The sad part is that some people actually buy this.

acptulsa
01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Cool.

Hey, Obama. He says you're justified in sending him to Gitmo next week. No excuses, Barry. Git 'r done.

RCA
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
football?

wizardwatson
01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
football?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

I learned that word playing Ghost Recon.

It's necessary to have a mobile Earth destroying command center since an international thermo-nuclear war would take less than an hour to complete. You might not have time to get to an appropriate command center.

rpfan2008
01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
[url]

I learned that word playing Ghost Recon.

I was a big fan of that game.