PDA

View Full Version : GOP: Ken Blackwell for RNC Chair? I'll pass.

Lucille
01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Via Balko (http://www.theagitator.com/2009/01/13/random-links-5/):

The GOP’s “let’s see how long we can remain in the minority” stupid fest continues, this time with Ohio RNC chair candidate Ken Blackwell telling a radio host (http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/01/12/blackwell-gay-and-lesbian-compulsion-can-be-restrained/) that you can “chose to restrain” the “compulsion” of homosexuality, adding, “I’ve never had to make the choice because I’ve never had the urge to be other than a heterosexual, but if in fact I had the urge to be something else I could have in fact suppressed that urge.” Too bad for Ken he couldn’t suppress the “behave like a giant douche” compulsion.

Yes, it is a shame, as is the fact that the GOP is chock full of giant douche bags just like him.

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think he's necessarily wrong actually. Can you scientifically prove that certain people are born homosexual and certain people are born heterosexual?

ClockwiseSpark
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Oooh, your post count is evil!

But seriously, it's not like we have any choice in the matter, they're all a$$holes.

Lucille
01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Oooh, your post count is evil!

But seriously, it's not like we have any choice in the matter, they're all a$$holes.

True dat!

paulitics
01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't think he's necessarily wrong actually. Can you scientifically prove that certain people are born homosexual and certain people are born heterosexual?

There are many factors involved, but it has been proven mathematically that if you're twin is gay, than you are several times more likely to be gay as well. THis is when you compare two identical twins who were seperated at birth.

This is based on probability. This doesn't mean that each and every time, this will happen. However, if there was no correlation between genetics and homosexuality, than the probablitlity of being gay should be exactly the same.
Therefore there is a strong correlation between being gay, and your DNA.

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
There are many factors involved, but it has been proven mathematically that if you're twin is gay, than you are several times more likely to be gay as well. THis is when you compare two identical twins who were seperated at birth.

This is based on probability. This doesn't mean that each and every time, this will happen. However, if there was no correlation between genetics and homosexuality, than the probablitlity of being gay should be exactly the same.

If your twin is gay and (let's say) it has nothing to do with DNA, I think you'd feel more free to look into it because you are close with someone, and can relate with someone, who is. However, if you grow up in a family where being gay isn't as accepted, you probably have a higher chance of being a heterosexual if you "restrain" any "compulsion." I wouldn't be surprised if Blackwell is talking out of his own experience and has had "gay thoughts."

ClockwiseSpark
01-13-2009, 09:24 PM

So you're saying you made a conscious choice to be attracted to the opposite sex?

Lucille
01-13-2009, 09:26 PM

It's really neither here nor there. The Chairman's job is to attract people to the party, not drive them away.

That comment was some terrible politicking.

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
It's really neither here nor there. The Chairman's job is to attract people to the party, not drive them away.

That comment was some terrible politicking.

That is true.

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 09:28 PM
So you're saying you made a conscious choice to be attracted to the opposite sex?

No because being heterosexual is usually default in this society. That's just how people are raised.

ClockwiseSpark
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
No because being heterosexual is usually default in this society. That's just how people are raised.

I see what you're saying but it's certainly not very scientific.

Ultimately I can only apply these questions to myself, just like everyone else and there is no way I could be compelled to be attracted to someone of the same sex. No amount of force or coercion could change that. I didn't come form what would be considered a normal or even healthy family and I even have openly homosexual people in my immediate family. What it really comes down to me for is the fact that I know I did not make a choice in regard to who I am attracted to.

Dominating social norms is certainly a theory but at this point I don't believe it holds water.

smithtg
01-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Via Balko (http://www.theagitator.com/2009/01/13/random-links-5/):

Yes, it is a shame, as is the fact that the GOP is chock full of giant douche bags just like him.

this guy is a loser. When he was SOS of Ohio, nobody liked him

ShannonOBrien
01-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I really think this is just a generational thing. I think the older generation thinks homosexuality is wrong and that it is a choice and that the younger generation either thinks it isn't immoral and that it's not a choice or they really don't care if someone is gay or not. I am the latter. I have a gay parent. I don't know if it's a choice, genetic, environmental or not but I really don't care. I think being gay is the same as if someone told me their eye color is blue. It really doesn't require me to act any differently.

speciallyblend
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM

well remember there is a large unimformed portion of our society who thinks being gay is a choice;) sad but true.
If this is the case then everyone is bi-sexual but we choose to be straight!!!!!

the people who think being gay is a choice. We should start calling them bi-sexual and see if they like that and then explain to them their own reasoning. It might actually open a few eyes!!!

speciallyblend
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I really think this is just a generational thing. I think the older generation thinks homosexuality is wrong and that it is a choice and that the younger generation either thinks it isn't immoral and that it's not a choice or they really don't care if someone is gay or not. I am the latter. I have a gay parent. I don't know if it's a choice, genetic, environmental or not but I really don't care. I think being gay is the same as if someone told me their eye color is blue. It really doesn't require me to act any differently.

yep sounds like you hit the nail on the head:)