PDA

View Full Version : My mind is made up. I'm RUNNING!!!!

kathy88
01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I decided today I'm going to run for the Prothonotary of our county. Anywhere else in the world this would be considered the clerk of courts, in Pennsylvania they for some reason kept the barbaric name.

I do title abstract work for oil and gas companies (and mortgages, etc. on the side) and travel to courthouses in a two state 9 county radius regularly. Anywhere I've had to go I've been greeted by the clerks of court (or Prothonotaries in PA) with a smile and an offer to show me around to get used to their indexing/filing/computer systems. Nothing but helpful.

Not so in my county. The woman who holds the position now ran last election unopposed.

Her predecessor was there about 20 years, also unopposed. She gave her blessing to the woman who holds the office now.

When one walks into this office the bad karma hits you in the face like a 102 degree day in a swamp. She will not even look up and acknowledge your presence. The two clerks instead are forced to get up, walk to the counter, and physically go get whatever file you are looking for. (Usually the ones I need are in the basement because they are old). There is no moving freely about the cabin in our courthouse, unless you work for a local attorney, they have the run of the place, and even physically remove files from the building, some never to return. This is the only courthouse in PA that is not online. She is the only one in the entire county who can process a passport application, so if you happen to need one when she's out, TOUGH.

When I say this woman is rude I'm being kind, in case this comes back to bite me in the ass during elections. LOL.

So anyway, our meetup group is bhind me with the grassroots action, willing to campaign door-to-door, help me with flyers, signs, etc...

Since we are both Repubs I'll have to beat her in the primaries which gives me until May.

I know the MINUTE I walk into the Elections office for my petition tomorrow he will be on the phone to her to tell her someone's running against her. I can't WAIT until she finds out it's me to see her go from rude to ignorant in 60 seconds.

I would appreciate your kind thoughts and parayers. This is going to be tough. It's an old boys club around here and she has worked in that office a long time. I'm hoping that enough people have been treated rudely by her, however that they will silently grin and push the button for me.

Deborah K
01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
God Bless you and keep you, Kathy. Go getum!!

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Best of luck to you! Maybe that story will get you elected. :) People don't typically like jerks.

RCA
01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Congratulations for deciding to do this. Are you going to have a website that takes donations? Keep us updated!

ClayTrainor
01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Awesome!

This is great Kathy, i wish you all the luck in the world :cool:

The current Prothonotary sounds like a real bee with an itch.

Nate K
01-13-2009, 06:30 PM
what region of PA?

kathy88
01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
North Central, Tioga County. Congressional District 5.

Nate K
01-13-2009, 06:39 PM
you'll win, good luck.

FrankRep
01-13-2009, 07:10 PM
North Central, Tioga County. Congressional District 5.

What state is that?

Knightskye
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
What state is that?

Hah, I know. I just googled it and there's one in Pennsylvania and New York.

Whichever one it is, good luck, Kathy. ;)

Jodi
01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Good Luck. It seems that the people in these positions just about have to die in order to leave them as no one wants to ripple the water. When I was inquiring about running for precinct committee woman in our courthouse last year, the county clerk was out and her deputy asked me to run for county clerk. I was floored. I wish I would have went ahead and ran but I didn't think I could take the pay cut.