PDA

View Full Version : US Senator Peter Schiff? It Could Happen!

Yvonne
01-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Lew Rockwell writes: "Peter, an economic advisor to the Ron Paul campaign, has long warned about this coming Fed depression, and like Ron, he knows the way out. Schiff-Dodd would be the most interesting race of 2010 for Paulians and all Americans who realize just what a monster the Fed is."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/024812.html

MRoCkEd
01-13-2009, 07:52 AM
We'd probably have to raise a few $100k first for him to consider running...

Hamer
01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Peter is not going to run for Senate.

gls
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Peter is not going to run for Senate.

Are you him? That's the only way you could be so sure.

Hamer
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Are you him? That's the only way you could be so sure.

Have you not heard what the man said on the subject? He has no plans to run - Go research it.

boethius27
01-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I'd love to see Peter Schiff in some sort of office just for what he could do from there (Dr. Paul part 2) but he is inspirational enough as is. I'd kinda hate to see him stuck in the political arena.

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
We'd probably have to raise a few $100k first for him to consider running...

We probably could since he's pretty popular to start, unlike Lawson or Sabrin, etc.

qh4dotcom
01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Have you not heard what the man said on the subject? He has no plans to run - Go research it.

Ron Paul originally did not want to run and he had to be convinced to do it...so anything is possible...who knows maybe even Ron Paul himself will encourage Schiff to run

Austin
01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I would campaign heavily for Schiff, both online and off.

Call Me V
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Likewise.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-13-2009, 09:59 PM
I would support his campaign, but Im not so sure he could really do anything effective.

Love what he says about Obama when they ask him if Obama is pursuing good policies.

"No. I know they are on the wrong track because the Obama team hasnt called me for advice"

PeacePlan
01-13-2009, 09:59 PM
I would also - anyone have an email address for him so I can ask him to run?

tropicangela
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Dodd? :confused:

Stary Hickory
01-13-2009, 10:14 PM
I just want a good libertarian/conservative candidate to win and place Schiff in charge of the FED.

That would be sublime

RonPaulwillWin
01-14-2009, 12:28 AM
I back him all the way

Brassmouth
01-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Does this subject really need another thread?

Would someone please explain to me what you guys think he'll accomplish as a senator? I'm genuinely curious. Do you honestly think he's going to save the country? The dollar? The economy? Anything at all?!?

If not, then stop trying to pressure a successful businessman into leaving his field. Especially a man who has already done far more to educate the masses then any politician ever could, save for RP.

PeacePlan
01-14-2009, 03:19 AM

Would someone please explain to me what you guys think he'll accomplish as a senator? I'm genuinely curious. Do you honestly think he's going to save the country? The dollar? The economy? Anything at all?!?

If not, then stop trying to pressure a successful businessman into leaving his field. Especially a man who has already done far more to educate the masses then any politician ever could, save for RP.

No we need to find someone that is not successful and does not know anything about the economy - now that would be a real politician. If you think Peter would be a bad choice I would like to hear your recommendation of who would be?

tremendoustie
01-14-2009, 03:48 AM

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that government is not the place to accomplish big things -- or at least it shouldn't be.

That said, I do think he'll reach more people as a senator. It would be a huge story -- and it would demonstrate the success of the liberty platform.

Also, I'm encouraged by an article I read saying that Dodd's popularity is at all time lows -- under 50%. This is not an unwinnable race.

We should be able to ignore government, and live our lives, and promote our ideas apart from it. The problem is, government won't ignore us -- and sometimes you have to enter the enemy headquarters in order to subdue the enemy once and for all.

nobody's_hero
01-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Starting now:

1) Ron Paul gets lonely being the only island in the eye of the storm.

tremendoustie
01-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Starting now:

1) Ron Paul gets lonely being the only island in the eye of the storm.

2) When the Fed or Treasury have to testify, hold on to your knickers! :D:eek:

Imperial
01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Top Ten Reasons Peter Schiff Should Run For Senate:

1) Peter Schiff has a nationwide support network in the Ron Paul Revolution and Campaign for Liberty.

2) Peter Schiff is wealthy, and coupled with #1 he can wage a legitimate campaign.

3) Chriss Dodd's approval ratings in Connecticut have been plummeting; it is now under 50%, in CT of all states. The opportunity may disappear if he wins another term, and the people forget.

4) Peter Schiff has been on national television, and can get free media(already a newspaper is pondering his run).

5) Peter Schiff is most known as the man who predicted the housing bubble, contrasting with Chris Dodd as a corrupt man who helped start it up. This contrast could be a game-breaker.

6) New England is becoming a Democratic lake. However, Connecticut had held onto at least one US House seat until this last election, showing there is a foothold. With Chris Dodd having such low approval, this may be a last chance to mount a viable campaign and not have the area strangled in a welfare-ideology.

7) A victory from Peter Schiff would show the viability of Ron Paul's ideology in the Republican Party, especially taking a Senate seat from Beltway boy Chris Dodd. The publicity impacts beyond legislation.

8) Peter Schiff in the Senate would be 1/100. He could filibuster and have his speeches filtered nationwide. Crunching more numbers, the Senate is half of the legislature, which is 1/3 of the branches of government. Thus, one man would control...0.165% of the government. While this doesn't sound like much, it is enough to swing weight. This is especially true considering that there are over 300 million people in America. One man truly does make a difference!

9) Allowing Chris Dodd to win again is making us all vulnerable to his legislative influence for poor practice in government.

10) The country needs people with principle in Congress...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

ShannonOBrien
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Ron Paul originally did not want to run and he had to be convinced to do it...so anything is possible...who knows maybe even Ron Paul himself will encourage Schiff to run

Good point.

HOLLYWOOD
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM

I would, to my limits; Donate, Campaign, Canvass, Cold Call, the entire state of Connecticut until election day to roust that POS corrupt banking Criminal: Senator Chris Dodd.

then the gravy train of the Banks and Real Estate writing their own legislation and profit tickets at the expense of the people ARE OVER!

ANYTHING to RID the country of that Lying Babbling Money Shill Chris Dodd!

PS: Note that DODD, DNC, and his colluding Financials, will pump $10's of millions to keep THEIR BOY DODD and the gravy train running.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Peter Schiff on Peter Schiff for US Senate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwf5xsUsqes

Austin
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Top Ten Reasons Peter Schiff Should Run For Senate:

1) Peter Schiff has a nationwide support network in the Ron Paul Revolution and Campaign for Liberty.

2) Peter Schiff is wealthy, and coupled with #1 he can wage a legitimate campaign.

3) Chriss Dodd's approval ratings in Connecticut have been plummeting; it is now under 50%, in CT of all states. The opportunity may disappear if he wins another term, and the people forget.

4) Peter Schiff has been on national television, and can get free media(already a newspaper is pondering his run).

5) Peter Schiff is most known as the man who predicted the housing bubble, contrasting with Chris Dodd as a corrupt man who helped start it up. This contrast could be a game-breaker.

6) New England is becoming a Democratic lake. However, Connecticut had held onto at least one US House seat until this last election, showing there is a foothold. With Chris Dodd having such low approval, this may be a last chance to mount a viable campaign and not have the area strangled in a welfare-ideology.

7) A victory from Peter Schiff would show the viability of Ron Paul's ideology in the Republican Party, especially taking a Senate seat from Beltway boy Chris Dodd. The publicity impacts beyond legislation.

8) Peter Schiff in the Senate would be 1/100. He could filibuster and have his speeches filtered nationwide. Crunching more numbers, the Senate is half of the legislature, which is 1/3 of the branches of government. Thus, one man would control...0.165% of the government. While this doesn't sound like much, it is enough to swing weight. This is especially true considering that there are over 300 million people in America. One man truly does make a difference!

9) Allowing Chris Dodd to win again is making us all vulnerable to his legislative influence for poor practice in government.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Excellent post.

Blowback
01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I think Peter would have a very strong chance of victory. He is very charismatic and has a lot of common sense.

qh4dotcom
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM

He'd need to run for president to save what you mentioned. However he should run...he'd be even more successful with his business even if he were to lose...look at RP and Huckabee who are cashing in with their best-selling books...that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't run...and you can be sure he's gained a lot of new clients thanks to his association with RP.

Brassmouth
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Name one instance in which this movement successfully assisted the election of a senator.

I can name one instance in which it failed miserably: Murray Sabrin

I guarantee you he didn't get wealthy by blowing his money on political campaigns.

Given the fact that Congress had a 9% approval rating, and 99% of the congresspeople running for reelection last November got reelected, I'd say this doesn't make a bit of difference.

Same with RP.....How many votes did he get again?

The public doesn't think like this, if they think at all. The public slops up propaganda like home cooking. When most people see Schiff (also keeping in mind Connecticut's liberal climate) they see a free market "apologist." Even if they know his predictions were spot-on, they'll just call him a doom-and-gloomer who was bound to be right at some point.

Dude, I live in NJ, which isn't even as bad as Connecticut. New England is beyond help.

Moot point. Even if he runs he won't win. Do you really think winning a seat from an Establishment Democrat will be possible? This guy's in the Inner Circle of corrupt politics.

Ok, this is just ridiculous...

RP is just "one man" too. Remind me how many instances have occurred in which he was successfully shrunken government?

True.

The country needs to realize it doesn't need a congress...

Brassmouth
01-14-2009, 10:07 PM
He'd need to run for president to save what you mentioned.

Oh, like "small government" Reagan?

I don't know how many times I can repeat this, but here goes:

THE STATE DOES NOT SHRINK ITSELF! IT WILL CONTINUE TO GROW AND DESTROY OUR ECONOMY AND OUR LIBERTIES NO MATTER WHO'S IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!

This is a historically consistent fact. It is totally against the nature of the State to cede freedoms it has already stolen.

and you can be sure he's gained a lot of new clients thanks to his association with RP.

That's true, however, why would someone invest with his firm if he's spending his time on Capital Hill accomplishing nothing.

I plan to invest with EuroPac in the future. However, if the brains of the operation is wasting his time was a senator, forget about it.

qh4dotcom
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
THE STATE DOES NOT SHRINK ITSELF! IT WILL CONTINUE TO GROW AND DESTROY OUR ECONOMY AND OUR LIBERTIES NO MATTER WHO'S IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!

This is a historically consistent fact. It is totally against the nature of the State to cede freedoms it has already stolen.
Even with RP in the White House?

That's true, however, why would someone invest with his firm if he's spending his time on Capital Hill accomplishing nothing.

I plan to invest with EuroPac in the future. However, if the brains of the operation is wasting his time was a senator, forget about it.

You assumed he would lose earlier...and EuroPac should have other brains as well...if he's accomplishing nothing as a senator he can always resign or not run for re-election.

Brassmouth
01-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Even with RP in the White House?

Unfortunately, yes. He wouldn't be able to shrink government without some sort of violent opposition. Of course, as we all saw, the State would never let anyone like RP near the White House.

You assumed he would lose earlier...and EuroPac should have other brains as well...if he's accomplishing nothing as a senator he can always resign or not run for re-election.

He won't win or lose, because I don't think Schiff will run, because he has stated he has no interest in doing so. If for whatever reason he does run, he will lose. I'm merely saying that if he becomes a senator, I'll not be investing with him. EuroPac won't be much without it's "Chief Global Strategist" and president.

Imperial
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Name one instance in which this movement successfully assisted the election of a senator.

I can name one instance in which it failed miserably: Murray Sabrin

Peter Schiff is a different guy than Mr. Sabrin. Furthermore, while we haven't won yet any big races, our grassroots support has helped candidates. It is a contributing factor. We know Schiff would have guys to actively campaign and to do supplementary money bombs.

I guarantee you he didn't get wealthy by blowing his money on political campaigns.

Once again, just a helpful factor. It isn't a waste if he wins it. He is a billionaire; if he were running a race to win it, I bet he would spend some of his money. If he doesn't run, then he won't.

Given the fact that Congress had a 9% approval rating, and 99% of the congresspeople running for reelection last November got reelected, I'd say this doesn't make a bit of difference.

However, most of those statistics pointed out that people's individual congressmen typically had positive approval ratings. Considering this is in the state of CT, that is pretty good. These are actual voters rather than just impersonal polling.

Same with RP.....How many votes did he get again?

Ron Paul didn't get the same exposure in proportion. The media would pick up the contrast pretty quick, considering Schiff has been all over tv not sponsoring campaigns but just talking economics AND he is wealthy which again causes the pundits to turn.

And Ron Paul also had many other mitigating factors. Relative obscurity, campaign problems, etc.

The public doesn't think like this, if they think at all. The public slops up propaganda like home cooking. When most people see Schiff (also keeping in mind Connecticut's liberal climate) they see a free market "apologist." Even if they know his predictions were spot-on, they'll just call him a doom-and-gloomer who was bound to be right at some point.

On the other hand, the media loves things that are soundbiteable. And, I can see the pundits just talking about the challenge, just for the sake of it. Add in our moneybombs(yes, we had a couple for a few candidates that did alright, and the big ones for Paul last year), and the media gets a campaign that is very easy to pick up on.

Dude, I live in NJ, which isn't even as bad as Connecticut. New England is beyond help.

Except Ron Paul Republicans have many characteristics similar to liberals. While it is hard to get past the party label, the potential is there. It is worth a shot I think. Besides that, if we ever want to reclaim New England it won't be done by resting on our laurels. It may be difficult, but on the other hand it has helped suppress neo-conservatives. We are always facing obstacles of various degrees; we must always try to rise above it.

Moot point. Even if he runs he won't win. Do you really think winning a seat from an Establishment Democrat will be possible? This guy's in the Inner Circle of corrupt politics.

Lindsey Graham only got 60% against an unknown challenger in South Carolina who spent practically nothing. There have been upsets in American politics from time to time. The whole establishment is built off of inherent contradictions that eventually crack. We may not necessarily crack them, but it is still possible. And it is worth rising up and trying. The risks are great, but so is the potential.

Ok, this is just ridiculous...

RP is just "one man" too. Remind me how many instances have occurred in which he was successfully shrunken government?

In government, no. However, first he has a vote, then he has a voice that can filibuster, and finally he has media by warrant of office.

The country needs to realize it doesn't need a congress...

Despite personal feelings on the matter, until that day comes we may as well have people who act on true moral positions.

itshappening
01-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Schiff would be an excellent candidate but would they elect a Republican in CT, would they see him as a viable choice or will they vote democrat by default??

Imperial
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I think there is a pretty good chance he will lose, probably over 50%. But I think he is the best shot out there. If he had a 35% chance of victory now even, I would say go for it.