PDA

View Full Version : Are there actually Survivalists on RPF?

DeadheadForPaul
01-13-2009, 01:27 AM
There was just a post about the need to buy rice and beans because of the potential Con Con in the works

What percentage of RPFers are survivalists?

I didn't realize that there were more than 2 or 3...maybe I was wrong. I'm eyeing some of the more hardcore gold-bugs now

Nate K
01-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Lol, are you trying to mock survivalists? Is it not ironic that you are on a forum that promotes self-reliance?

ihsv
01-13-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm not telling :D

Kludge
01-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I keep a lot of water and a lot of soup... by coincidence. I'd only live for a couple months at most without supplies.

Elwar
01-13-2009, 07:59 AM
There was a long thread on dailypaul on how to properly put together enough food for SHTF scenarios. They pretty much said to check out how the mormons do it.

I've been doing research on various things as far as how I'd get water in case anything happens and my wife and I agreed that we'll probably start stocking food gradually in the garage. Though I just moved to Florida so I'm thinking more in the lines of hurricanes but it still wouldn't hurt to work toward being prepared for anything.

I just told my wife last night that we should take some cash out of the bank just so we have cash on hand in case anything happens during the inaugeration that triggers bad things.

lucius
01-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Lol, are you trying to mock survivalists? Is it not ironic that you are on a forum that promotes self-reliance?

agree

pacelli
01-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Just following instructions...

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

LittleLightShining
01-13-2009, 09:37 AM
There was just a post about the need to buy rice and beans because of the potential Con Con in the works

I didn't realize that there were more than 2 or 3...maybe I was wrong. I'm eyeing some of the more hardcore gold-bugs nowYou should dive into the Freedom Living Forum. Gunny made an awesome thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=144831&highlight=gunny+freedom) you should definitely check out if you haven't already.

Conza88
01-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I said: "Yes - my tin foil comes in camouflage" cus I thought it was hilarious, and that it would be awesome to get tin foiled hats with camouflage. :D

Really not prepared though... 5 oz of gold, water tanks, and thats about it. :eek:

nobody's_hero
01-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Umm. Not because I think there will be a "con con," but because I think there won't.

But, put me down for, "I do minimal prep." Me and Kludge will live for a few months, I suppose. Then again, it shouldn't take more than a day for me to get to Washington . . . —catch my drift?

Then again, I have friends in the countryside, and deer meat is always fresh out there.

Chester Copperpot
01-13-2009, 09:53 AM
i carry an extra 70 or 80lbs of extra fat on my body just in case i need to go without food for awhile.

nullvalu
01-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Tin foil in camouflage.. hahaha nice one.. i am not a survivalist but i have been thinking about taking some first steps..

boethius27
01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Camoflage tinfoil?! I want some of that!

A. Havnes
01-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Then again, it shouldn't take more than a day for me to get to Washington . . . —catch my drift?

:eek: What are you trying to do?!? Shut the forum down? What if the Obamites catch something like that? ;) :D

*whisper* I'll join ya. *whisper*

nobody's_hero
01-13-2009, 09:59 AM
:eek: What are you trying to do?!? Shut the forum down? What if the Obamites catch something like that? ;) :D

*whisper* I'll join ya. *whisper*

What?!!! I was gonna go to D.C. to have a picnic, what were you going to do? :eek: lol

Jeremy
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Having extra food isn't a conspiracy theory, it's smart. The economy will collapse, but even if it didn't, imagine if there was an earthquake or something. It's just good to have.

wizardwatson
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
i carry an extra 70 or 80lbs of extra fat on my body just in case i need to go without food for awhile.

LOL

This is basically what I tell my wife when she says I'm eating like a pig. I just say I'm preparing for the worst.

But seriously, I am.

tangent4ronpaul
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
You should dive into the Freedom Living Forum. Gunny made an awesome thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=144831&highlight=gunny+freedom) you should definitely check out if you haven't already.

I'll second that - and not just that one thread...

Also, buying in bulk saves you money. Eating basics will give you a healthier diet that is less expensive too! It's a good investment against inflation. There just isn't a downside!

-t

Paulitician
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Not at all. I live in the moment baby!

There's no tin foil around my house anyway, only aluminum

Deborah K
01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I picked yes even though I don't have my tin foil hat yet. :D Yes, we are prepared and we are in a position to help others.

Imperial
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Some of my extended family are survivalists.

DeadheadForPaul
01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
jsut for clarification, I do minimal prep: i prepare for minimal disasters of about 2 months

If society falls apart to the point that I would need 1+ years of food, water, etc., it'd probably resemble Terminator 4...in which case I wouldnt want to live through that

mconder
01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a year food supply and the ammo to protect it.

JohnMeridith
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I have a few months worth of food, any more than that and I wouldnt want to be where I am...I would be mobile on my way to my fortress in the north.

rancher89
01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
LOL I picked the camo tin foil hat, cause they make camo duct tape--BTW we just ran a thread on the local meetup about stocking up on plastic sheeting and duct tape (started by someone posting about finding a book on how to survive a nuclear blast....my answer -- as a public school kid of the 60's--hide under your desk...)

These guys are really funny, I like the bubble wrap idea, but my husband pointed out that the air inside the individual bubbles probably wouldn't pass FDA guidelines for inhaling, or maybe it would?

http://www.ducttapeguys.com/DHS/

tangent4ronpaul
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
LOL I picked the camo tin foil hat, cause they make camo duct tape--BTW we just ran a thread on the local meetup about stocking up on plastic sheeting and duct tape (started by someone posting about finding a book on how to survive a nuclear blast....my answer -- as a public school kid of the 60's--hide under your desk...)

Duck and Cover will get you killed! - Guess that's why DHS is still promoting it :(

HIGH POINTS FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE",

Edited by Larry Linn for MAA Safety Committee brief on 4/13/04.

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the

American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced

rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an
earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams

from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a

of many rescue teams from many countries. I was the United Nations expert

in Disaster Mitigation (UNX051 -UNIENET) for two years. I have worked at

every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous
disasters.

In 1996 we made a film which proved my survival methodology to be correct.

The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul, University of Istanbul,

Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific

test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten

mannequins did "duck and cover," and ten mannequins I used in my

"triangle of life" survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse
we

crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document

the results.

The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly

observable, scientific conditions, relevant to building collapse, showed

there would have been zero percent survival for those doin! g duck and

cover. There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people

using my method of the "triangle of life." This film has been seen by

millions of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe, and

it was seen in the USA, Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City

during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under their desk. Every child

was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by

lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary

and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the

time know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling

upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a

space or void next to them. This space is what I call the "triangle of
life".

The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the

object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that

the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next

time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the "triangles"

you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will

see, in a collapsed building. They are everywhere.

-t

rancher89
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I've always heard that you should be in a door frame during an earthquake, sounds like you'd be safer laying down next to the dresser.

Tornados---I've always heard it's best to be in an interior room, small as possible, like a closet, with no windows, the idea being that you are less likely to be struck by blowing debris, of course this wouldn't apply in a direct hit, all bets are off then. Oh, yeah and don't live in a mobile home.....

I think the big natural disaster we will face next is Yellowstone, it keeps bulging more and more (remember Mt St Helens how it buldged and then went boom?) Well, Yellowstone will be the grandaddy of em all.

lynnf
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
just because I hoard food, keep "shaker" flashlights around, have solar-powered radios, and listen to the John Moore show on Republic Broadcasting, keep my old desktop phone because it only uses the power off the phone line?

does that make me a survivalist?

lynn

speciallyblend
01-13-2009, 10:05 PM

I didn't realize that there were more than 2 or 3...maybe I was wrong. I'm eyeing some of the more hardcore gold-bugs now

yes i am a survivalist, which means when the shit hits the fan . i will shot your ass if you try to steal my food;)

being prepared is better then not being prepared;0 if that makes me a tinfoil hat for buying food, then stuff me full with my food;)

the poll question makes it sound like being prepared is bad?? hmmmm.

guess i would rather be called a tinfoil hat ,then trying to steal someone elses food. enjoy the price of rice it will be going up, you can buy now or get raped later ;)

speciallyblend
01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
just because I hoard food, keep "shaker" flashlights around, have solar-powered radios, and listen to the John Moore show on Republic Broadcasting, keep my old desktop phone because it only uses the power off the phone line?

does that make me a survivalist?

lynn

yep we are ron paul kooks;)

then again hide your address these same folks mocking you and me will be trying to steal our food when they cannot get food at taco bell;)

I am actually thinking of totally going off-grid but it is pricey for wind turbines but solar panel tech is about to change;)

actually i am a beginner survivalist but doing good on stocking food and working on solar and wind turbines;)

LibertyEagle
01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Lynnf,

Ok, since you hae these, would you tell me what you think is a good "shaker" flashlight and a good solar-powered radio?

speciallyblend
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
jsut for clarification, I do minimal prep: i prepare for minimal disasters of about 2 months

If society falls apart to the point that I would need 1+ years of food, water, etc., it'd probably resemble Terminator 4...in which case I wouldnt want to live through that

i have about 2-3 months but im working on 1yr at min in the next month;)

remember ration your food ,the skinny people will be looking to steal from the fatter people,best to keep skinny and ration your food and of course arm yourself. the same people who mock survivalists will be the ones trying to kill,steal from them;)
WOLVERINES:)

everytime i buy a case of water i buy 5-8 extra same with rice and beans and canned food try to get the longest expiration dates and buy things i actually eat!

speciallyblend
01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Lynnf,

Ok, since you have these, would you tell me what you think is a good "shaker" flashlight and a good solar-powered radio?

was thinking same thing, there is also a good list from a Bosnian war survivor . I need to find the link or list.

very helpful list to have, working on posting it for all the kooks;)

speciallyblend
01-13-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.restoretherepublic.com/take-action/initiatives/100-items-to-disappear-first-in-a-calamity
there you go folks, a very good list to work off of. even for the beginner:)

Flirple
01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
It depends what you mean by survivalists. From the references about tin foil in the poll you were implying you were referring to the stereotypical person who chronically jumps from one paranoid TSHTF scenario to another that they here about on crackpot newsletters and websites (Y2K, bible prophecy, etc.)

But someone just recently putting together a few canned foods, a little extra fuel, buying some bullion, etc. just in case a "bank holiday" is declared or some other economic disruption is not what I think of as being a "survivalist". Such actions being taken now is reasonable and prudent because it's plausible we could see some rough patches because of our current economic situation.

Having said all that, from what I've seen at Ron Paul rallies and such, I'm sorry to say that I suspect that there are a few on these boards who fall into the crackpot tin foil hat variety unfortunately.