PDA

View Full Version : Starting a website...need some advice

Rael
01-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm going to start a website dealing with libertarian issues. I would like to get some advice on setting it up, ie good options for hosting/domain registration. What is a good company to choose.

I also would appreciate general input/ideas. The site I am making is going to focus on state/local issues from a libertarian perspective, and will be sort of a blog/news/resource site. I also would like to setup a vbulletin forum as well.

heavenlyboy34
01-13-2009, 08:46 AM
As a starter, analyze websites that you enjoy and figure out what is appealing out them. :D Sketch it out on paper before playing on the puter.

yongrel
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
When I started up the Free Turkey, I used Bluehost for Domain Registration and hosting. Great service, great features, fantastic support. The price is decent too.

One of these days, I'll find something to do with the site that won't interfere with my school work ;)

Josh_LA
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I do webhosting, I'll hook you up.

satchelmcqueen
01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm going to start a website dealing with libertarian issues. I would like to get some advice on setting it up, ie good options for hosting/domain registration. What is a good company to choose.

I also would appreciate general input/ideas. The site I am making is going to focus on state/local issues from a libertarian perspective, and will be sort of a blog/news/resource site. I also would like to setup a vbulletin forum as well.

ive been thinking the same thing myself. since being laid off, im thinking add revenue plus a good place for us ron paul people to hang out...like this site...only its mine.

nullvalu
01-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd recommend hosting with 1and1, and run Joomla! as your web platform. Joomla! rocks, especially for a highly dynamic site like what you're looking to set up.

Josh_LA
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd recommend hosting with 1and1, and run Joomla! as your web platform. Joomla! rocks, especially for a highly dynamic site like what you're looking to set up.

my starter plan IS a little more costy than 1and1's.

But I can also give a free domain name, and adjust the space bandwidth if anybody so needs it.

mediahasyou
01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
wordpress and blogger are a good way to start out.

Josh_LA
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
wordpress and blogger are a good way to start out.

agreed.