PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Bread

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Is anyone here interested in learning how to make easy homemade bread, that will be easy to make if SHTF?

I have an easy recipe from a great blog, that is whole wheat, and since it is fermented, the hard to digest phytates on the bread are broken down, making it easier to absorb the nutrients in the bread and other foods ingested.

So anyone easier? I will post a tutorial with pictures here for you.

(This was brought up in response to all the "end of the world" threads, as I like to call them)

Any takers?

Dieseler
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes please do.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Okie Dokie.

Firstly , you should know that I like to focus on sour dough breads, but do not like the sour taste. So, I only use a recipe that taste like regular yeast breads. I just don't like having to rely on store bought yeast, esp if you are thinking about ways to make this if SHTF, right?

But, as I stated earlier, the fermentation in the sour dough breads allow for alot of health benefits.

This bread can be made on the eighth day. But will make either three loaves out of the half you use, or you could make 6..your choice. I like making one loaf of bread, one pan of dinner rolls, one pan of hamburger buns, and one pan of hot dog buns. This is make with the amount that would make the three loaves.

For the first day you’ll need:

1 large jar or glass bowl (not metal…glass only)
2 cups whole wheat or rye flour (freshly ground if possible)
2 cups cold water (filtered is best)
Long spoon for stirring
Cheesecloth (of course)
rubberband

First, pour 2 cups of flour into the jar or bowl.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter1sm.JPG

It doesn’t get much more exciting than looking at flour in a jar.

Next, stir in 2 cups of water. It should be mixed well and look soupy.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter2sm.JPG

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter3sm.JPG

This is just a view from the top of the jar after I stirred the flour and water together. It’s pretty liquid-y. That’s just the way it’s supposed to be the first day.

Cover the top of your jar or lid with cheesecloth. This will keep dust and bugs from getting in…but it will allow the yeast and bacteria from the air to get in and do it’s thing. Isn’t it COOL that there is natural yeast in the air?! And bacteria. Bacteria has a bad reputation. Not all bacteria is bad. There’s LOTS of GOOD bacteria hanging around. Poor bacteria. So misunderstood…

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter4sm1.JPG

I usually attach my cheese cloth to the rim of my jar with a rubberband. If you’re using a large glass bowl, you might need to tie a string around it instead. Unless you have a gigantic rubberband hanging around. If you do, I’d like to see it.

Sourdough does best in a warm place. Unfortunately we’re starting this in January. There are no warm places in Nebraska in January. (Maybe there are warm places where you live?) If you do live in a warm place, you can put yours in a sunny spot or on your patio. I’m putting mine in the most consistently warm spot in my kitchen…the cabinet above my refrigerator.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter7sm.JPG

See, there it is hanging out with my culturing buttermilk.

That’s all you do on day one.

For tomorrow you’ll need: a clean jar or glass bowl, 1 more cup of whole wheat or rye flour and one cup of water.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
I will post the next day tomorrow, unless I get really bored tonight.

Dieseler
01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Awesome.

withallmyheart
01-12-2009, 08:07 PM
This is great. Thanks.

If you have a sour dough starter method please share that also.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
What do you mean?

Like how to make the starter, or how to use the starter that is left later ?

Cause, what I have posted is the recipe for the starter, and after I finish posting the full recipe, and you make the bread, I will post what to do with the rest of the starter.

I plan to post step by step instructions, including baking, and restarting the starter with what is left.

If neither of these are what you are referring... you'll have to elaborate. I am slightly dense. :p

I will go ahead and do the second day:

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Here’s what my sourdough starter looked like after 24 hours. (It actually started separating and looking like this after only a few hours.)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter21sm.jpg

I poured off the dark liquid that had risen to the top. Then I poured my starter in to a fresh, clean jar.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter22sm.jpg

Once you have your starter in a clean jar or bowl, add 1 cup of whole wheat flour and almost 1 cup of cold water. Stir the flour in very well so that it is all moistened.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter23sm.jpg

Replace your cheese cloth and rubber band…then put it back in your warm spot for 24 more hours. (Is this easy or what?!)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughstarter24sm1.jpg

We’ll be repeating these same steps over the next several days. You have probably not noticed anything exciting happening to your sourdough starter yet. Still looks and smells like flour and water. Oh, but just wait!

For tomorrow you’ll need a clean jar or glass bowl, 1 cup whole wheat or rye flour and about a cup of cold water.

Day three coming soon....

pinkmandy
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
This is awesome. Ty! I'm going to try it. I love fresh bread.

For cheap bread, here is what my grandma used to do-

Pour 2 cups of self rising flour in a bowl. Add water til dough like. Add a splash of milk and salt. Melt a teaspoon of butter in a skillet, pour dough over top. Once the top starts bubbling, flip it over (like a giant pancake that rises really). And that's it. Cheap, quick and can be made on top of a woodstove if you have no power. You may have to tinker w/the recipe to get it just right because my measurements aren't exact as I don't follow an actual recipe.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
That's fritters!

I grew up eating those.

pinkmandy
01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
That's fritters!

I grew up eating those.

:D

They are yummy and great for a shoestring budget plus no power but I'm thinking that sourdough sounds pretty tasty. Sounds like something fun for the kids to do, too.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, if you were into unschooling (allowing kids to learn through life experiences how things work), you could use this as an example of yeast being made, and fermentation and digestion, not to mention a math lesson for the measuring, and a lesson in being patient for waiting.

:)

I don't like my bread to be too sour, and like it to have that slightly sweet baked taste, so I account for that in the steps.

withallmyheart
01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
When you said this

Firstly , you should know that I like to focus on sour dough breads, but do not like the sour taste. So, I only use a recipe that taste like regular yeast breads.

I thought it was not a starter for sour dough.

Will this starter make sour dough bread?

RSLudlum
01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
sorry I couldn't resist :p

Who Will Help Me Bake This Bread? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FqmmfjpbTA) by Propaghandi

I speak my mind I question theirs
It seems to me like no one really cares.
Peripherally blind intellectually numb
Ignorance by choice? Or just plain fucking dumb?
You`re threatened by my mind
You want everything the same
But my questions still remain

You boycott your brain
You answer with fists
My question still persists
You can re-arrange my face
but you can?t re-arrange my mind
You can beat this shell about me
but you can`t touch what`s inside

So now who will help me bake this bread?
Who will be the first to speak and leave complacency for dead?
I`ve done all that I can on my own
But stagnant minds persist to squeeze blood from this stone.
But I won`t bleed for you
I` ve no need for you
need for you
Death will be the day I conceed to you

You boycott your brain
You answer with fists
My question still persists
You can re-arrange my face
but you can?t re-arrange my mind
You can beat this shell about me
but you can`t touch what`s inside

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
When you said this

Firstly , you should know that I like to focus on sour dough breads, but do not like the sour taste. So, I only use a recipe that taste like regular yeast breads.

Yes, but in the directions I will state whether or not you should add a certain amount of liquid for a less sour bread, and a certain amount for a regular sour dough bread, with those amounts.

I just use this bread for buns, sandwich breads, and rolls...so I cannot make it too sour, or it would not taste right.

If you just follow the regular directions, and not mine that are mentioned alongside it, you will get regular old sour dough bread... NOTE: This is whole wheat, not white. You can switch it out, but I make mine as healthy as possible.

lucius
01-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 12:13 AM
This morning I didn’t have as much dark liquid on top of my starter as I did yesterday. Here’s what my jar looked like:

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough31sm1.jpg

Have you been sniffing your jar? I thought today mine smelled just a little tiny bit sour…just a little tiny bit.

Today…do just like you did yesterday: Pour off most of the liquid on top (I only had about a tablespoon today)…put your starter into a clean jar or glass bowl…add a cup of flour and a cup of water…stir it…replace the cheesecloth and put it back in it’s warm nest. Really, making sourdough takes no time at all. (Even including my jar sniffing time this process probably only took 2 minutes this morning.)

My jar is almost half full now…I may have to switch to a big glass bowl by the time these seven days are up!

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough32sm.jpg

Sourdough should always be prepared in glass and baked in either glass or stoneware. Sourdough is acidic, therefore it will react with metal and plastic. It is very porous…so it will absorb the metallic or plastic-y tastes and qualities. For that matter…I try to always stir my sourdough with a wooden spoon.

So…go sniff your jar…feed your sourdough…and come report back to us here about how your sourdough is doing!

acptulsa
01-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Yeast from thin air. Had no idea. I know collecting yeast from thin air takes time, but I liked your line about how it takes no time at all. Nah--we're only on day three and haven't turned the oven on yet. But I know what you mean--just a few minutes a day.

I am definitely going to try this. And mine is going to be sour. :D

rancher89
01-13-2009, 04:32 PM
OK, read the whole thread, the latest Mother Earth News has an even easier way to make bread. You do have to buy yeast tho, but you can use the dough as a starter for more bread...

It's issue #231 and I bought it the other day, I haven't bought a MEN for years, I've been checking them out online mostly. I don't know if the receipe is online yet or not, so here goes: "5 Minutes a Day For Fresh-Baked Bread"

The Master Recipe: Boule--makes 4-1# loaves
3 C lukewarm water
1 1/2 T granulated yeast (1 1/2 pkg)
1 1/2 T coarse kosher or sea salt
6 1/2 Cups unsifted, unbleached, all purpose white flour
(if you make pizza do with this you will need corn meal for the paddle)

Tips to amaze your friends: The "6-3-3-13" rule--To store enough for eight loaves, remember 6-3-3-13. It's 6 cups water, 3 T salt, 3 T yeast and 13 Cups of flour.

Lazy sourdough shortcut. When your dough container is empty, don't wash it, just scrape it down and incorporate it into the next batch. In addition to saving cleanup, the aged dough stuck to the sides will give your ne batch a head start on sourdough flavor.

Variation: Herb Bread: Add a couple tsp of your favorite dried herbs to the water mixture.

Here's how it's done:

1. Heat the water to just a little warmer than body temp (about 100*)
2. Add yeast and salt to the water in a 5 Qt bowl or, preferably in a resealable, lidded container (not airtight--use a container with a gasket or lift a corner.) don't worry about getting it all to dissolve.
3. Mix in the flour by gently scooping it up, then leveling the top of the measuring cup witha knife, don't pat down. Mix with a wooden spoon, a high-capacity food processor with dough attachment or a heavy-duty stand mixer with a dough hook, until uniformly moist. If hand mixing becomes too difficult, use very wet hands to press it together. DON'T KNEAD
4. Cover loosely. Allow the mixture to rise at room temp until it begins to collapse or at least flattens on top, apprx 2 hours. Longer rising times, up to 5 hours will not harm the result. You can use a portion of the dough any time after this period. Refrigerated wet dough is less sticky and easier to work with than room-temp dough. MEN recommends refrigerating the dough at least three hours before shaping a loaf. They also say to relax, there is no monitoring or kneading....

I haven't tried this yet, but MEN has never let me down on anything yet!

JeNNiF00F00
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Can you start this off in a ziplock bag? Seems like a very long time ago someone in my family was doing this but just was storing it in a ziplock and burping it a couple times a day.

Edit: Nevermind. I just read where you said that the sourdough would absorb the flavor of the plastic. DOH!

JeNNiF00F00
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah, I am wondering what is the texture of this bread? Will it be a very soft bread or a harder chewier bread?

angelatc
01-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Can you start this off in a ziplock bag? Seems like a very long time ago someone in my family was doing this but just was storing it in a ziplock and burping it a couple times a day.

Edit: Nevermind. I just read where you said that the sourdough would absorb the flavor of the plastic. DOH!

I just finished one of those. It's called Amish Friendship Bread, and the recipes are on the internet. The recipe that came with it called for 2 boxes of instant pudding. I was pretty sure tha an Amish recipe wouldn't require instant pudding, so I just put a couple of bananas in it instead. (Old bananas that were almost all black - yum! They make the best bread) Came out fine.

This stuff looks really good. I don't have any cheesecloth right now - that's all that's stopping me.

rancher89
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I'll be starting a batch this weekend, won't be going to the store til Friday for any supplies.....I have everything except yeast, so I guess I could use the OP method, except no cheesecloth, doh, uh, oopps:D

JeNNiF00F00
01-13-2009, 08:31 PM
I just finished one of those. It's called Amish Friendship Bread, and the recipes are on the internet. The recipe that came with it called for 2 boxes of instant pudding. I was pretty sure tha an Amish recipe wouldn't require instant pudding, so I just put a couple of bananas in it instead. (Old bananas that were almost all black - yum! They make the best bread) Came out fine.

This stuff looks really good. I don't have any cheesecloth right now - that's all that's stopping me.

Ahh yes! I remember somewhat now. My dad used to make a lot of bread back when I was a kid but he doesnt have the time or interest anymore. I do however remember the pudding. I am going out tomorrow for the cheese cloth, and I am trying to find some jars as well. Anyone have a clue where I can find 1 jar or will I have to buy a pack of these suckers? This looks fun! :D

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah, I am wondering what is the texture of this bread? Will it be a very soft bread or a harder chewier bread?

Well, it is just like regular whole wheat bread, slightly softer.

Think of fresh yeast rolls from school as a child....just like that, except in a loaf form.

The more sour, the firmer the texture.

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM

Go to any hardware store...they have cheesecloth there for some reason...like Ace or something.

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Ahh yes! I remember somewhat now. My dad used to make a lot of bread back when I was a kid but he doesnt have the time or interest anymore. I do however remember the pudding. I am going out tomorrow for the cheese cloth, and I am trying to find some jars as well. Anyone have a clue where I can find 1 jar or will I have to buy a pack of these suckers? This looks fun! :D

Try walmart...

I would buy a pack, but I LOVE jars. :)

JeNNiF00F00
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Try walmart...

I would buy a pack, but I LOVE jars. :)

I like jars too but I am currently staying with my folks so the space is tight. I will check it out. Wallyworld is right down the street.

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Here’s what my jar of starter looked like this morning.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough41sm.jpg
It is so exciting! When I stirred my flour into it yesterday, it was right at halfway full. 24 hours later..it has risen at least an inch if not more! And there are bubbles all through it. And I have this nice layer of froth on top. Yep…the sourdough starter is starting to become sourdough. [/QUOTE]

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough42sm.jpg

You’ll notice in my top picture that I instead of the brown gooey liquid sitting on top of my starter like it had been on other days, it was at the bottom. I have no idea why…but it’s not a big deal. I just poured it all into a fresh jar just like that and it mixed back in.

Jen was wondering why we need to transfer to a clean jar or bowl each day. I don’t know! My resources (Nourishing Traditions book…and my own past experiences with sourdough…and my trusty sourdough making friend, Anne) just tell me to do it! I think the clean jar just gives your starter a fresh start as you feed it (or something like that?). If you just left it in the same container and just kept feeding it in that…all kinds of crud would build up on the sides and your jar would be all yucky. Then the sourdough would have to do it’s work around the yucky crud and it wouldn’t be as effective. Yes, I think that’s the reason why.

Okay, so again for Day 4…put your starter into a clean glass container, add a cup of flour and a cup of water, stir well, cover with cheesecloth and put in a warm place.

I’m pretty sure tomorrow I’m going to need to transfer mine to my big glass bowl. It’s getting BIG! Oh, and it smells even more like sourdough today…just slightly…but I can tell it’s working.

By the way…yours might not be doing the exact thing mine is. Yours is working in YOUR air and in YOUR climate. Yours might be working faster…or slower than some of ours are working.

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Whoa-oa-oa! Get back! So much for the “sweetly sour” smell of my starter from yesterday morning.

Shew!

A few of you commented that your starter was NOT smelling sweetly sour…but more like…well none of you said exactly. Although Cindy’s husband said that it smells like some of the calls he goes on (he is a fireman/paramedic).

May I suggest a description something like a cross between a dirty gym socks and baby spit up? Okay…so sorry. DON’T let this discourage you from making sourdough!!!!! It gets better I promise! And…the sourdough bread doesn’t taste like the above mentioned descriptions. I PROMISE!

So…Day 5…if sniffing your sourdough starter makes you want to cough, gag, and run screaming from the room with tears running down your face…it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to be doing. Good job creating a stinky masterpiece. :)

This morning a lot of liquid had risen to the top of my starter…and it had a frothy film on the top of the liquid. The froth was darker than yesterday and there was less of it. This is normal.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough51sm1.jpg

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough52sm.jpg

So…a note about stinky…SOUR…sourdough:

The more liquidy and soupy your sourdough starter is…the more sour it is going to be/taste. Some people like their sourdough to have a very strong taste. My family and I don’t prefer it quite so sour.

Since this is Day 5 and there are only two days left before I make bread from my starter (woohoo!)…I decided today to start making my starter a little thicker to help with the over-sourness factor.

This morning I added one cup of flour as normal…but only 1/4 cup of water. I also poured off most of the liquid that had risen to the top again before adding the flour/water. As I stirred in the flour/water…it all mixed in just fine and was by no means too thick to stir. So, depending on how thick or runny your starter is at this point, you may want to adjust the amount of water you add.

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I’m combining today and tomorrow because tomorrow is Sunday and it’s always hard enough getting all six of us ready and out the door for church on time without stopping to post pictures of sourdough starter. It just might push me over the edge to insanity. :)

This morning my starter didn’t have any liquid hanging around anywhere. I think it is because yesterday I started working to thicken my starter so that it wouldn’t be SO sour. If you remember, I only added 1/4 cup of water. I’m glad I did that. It’s getting to be more of the consistency I want it to be now.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough61sm.jpg

Today was graduation day for us. (Oh, I couldn’t be more proud.) My starter went from big glass jar to big glass bowl. I didn’t want sourdough overflowing all over the place.

Again today, I added a cup of flour and only 1/4 cup of liquid. Here is a picture of how thick my starter is now.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough62sm.jpg

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough63sm.jpg

I layed a big piece of cheesecloth over my bowl without securing it with anything.

On Day 7…just do the very same thing by adding 1 cup of flour and enough cold water to make your starter as thick (less sour) or as thin (more sour) as you want. I may try to pop back in briefly if I feel like there’s anything important I need to tell you about the Day 7 process.

Would it surprise you to hear that the only ingredients you need to have ready to go are more flour and water…and some salt? (I use Redmonds Real Sea Salt.)

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
After seven days of feeding your sourdough starter with water and flour…it is fermented and ready to make into bread!

Now, keep in mind that this method of making bread is an old fashioned method. It isn’t quick. (Neither is it difficult.) From start to finish, the bread takes anywhere from 8 to 24 hours. Most of those hours are spend just waiting for the dough to rise.

I happen to like the pace of this bread making. Slow and easy wins the race. AND, the nutritional benefits?! Because the bread is fermented, all of the difficult-to-digest phytates from the grain are broken down making this bread GREAT for your digestion! This is the best, most healthy bread you can make.

Okay, so are you ready?

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough81sm.jpg

Here is what my starter looked like on the eighth morning.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough83sm.jpg

Put about two to three cups of starter into a quart jar, seal it with a lid and put it into your refrigerator for future use.

Here’s what you’ll need to make your bread:

3-4 cups sourdough starter
2 t. sea salt
1 1/2 cups cold water
4-8 cups whole wheat, rye, or spelt flour (if your flour is freshly ground, make sure it has had a chance to cool)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough82sm.jpg

Pour the remaining starter into a large clean glass bowl. (I had about 3 cups of starter in my bowl to start with.)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough84sm.jpg

Add 2 teaspoons of sea salt to the starter.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough85sm.jpg

Pour in 1 1/2 cups of cold water and stir until the salt it dissolved.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough87sm1.jpg

Slowly stir in flour, two cups at a time. For this batch, I only used about five cups. This is because my starter was not very liquidy to begin with. Remember, the more soupy your starter, the more sour your bread. I was trying to create a starter that was a little on the thicker side.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough88sm.jpg

Work in the flour on a clean surface until your dough is knead-able. Knead your dough for 8-10 minutes (or until you think you might pass out). Hey, how do you think we breadmakers get these amazingly buff arm muscles anyway?

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough89sm.jpg

(Too many pics, will continue in another post)

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Place your well kneaded dough back into your bowl.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough810sm.jpg

Cover your bowl with a clean cloth and set it on your counter. Now, the natural yeast in your sourdough will go to work to make the dough rise…and all the healthy bacteria in the dough will work to break down the phytates and release the nutrients!

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough811sm.jpg

I put my dough in the bowl ready to start rising at 9:00 a.m. By 3 p.m. it had risen to about double. So this time, it took six hours for my dough to rise. In the summer you may find that it takes less time.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough812sm.jpg

Knead your dough for a good solid five minutes. (Yay, another upper body workout.)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough813sm.jpg

Divide your dough into three sections, using a knife to slice. (Yes, I realize this picture only shows you two sections. The picture is to show you the slice. Focus on the slice.)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough814sm.jpg

Shape your dough into balls.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough815sm.jpg

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough816sm.jpg

I prefer to use my round loaf pans from Pampered Chef. When I use my regular loaf pans, you’ll notice that instead of making one long loaf to fit the pan, I shape two balls and set them side by side into the pan. The sourdough rises much better this way. When you are deciding on the size of dough for your pan, think small. If you have too much dough in your pan, the bread not rise well and it will be very heavy.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdough817sm.jpg

Because the sourdough has been sitting and working all day, the natural yeast in it has been activated so that the bread rising in the pans will not take as long as the initial rising of the dough. In about two hours, my bread was ready to go into the oven.

Bake your bread in a 350 degree oven for one hour or until the bread sounds hollow when you thump it.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sourdoughbreadsm1.jpg

I always have a hard time getting a “pretty” loaf of bread. The older the starter gets, the easier it will be to work with and the tastier it will be. We thought these loaves tasted great even if they were a little funny looking. The sourness was just right! In fact, it hardly tasted sour at all! (Also, I’m having trouble with the flash on my camera. I tried to fix the coloring on this very yellow original picture and this is the best I got since it is evening. I’ll keep making sourdough and keep taking pictures…hopefully I’ll be able to show you a better one soon!)

Now, the next time you want to make a batch of sourdough bread…get your starter out of the fridge in the evening. Pour it into a clean glass jar or bowl. Feed it by adding 1 cup of flour and some cold water. (You need to keep your starter fed about once a week whether you bake bread that often or not.) Place cheesecloth on top and let it sit in a warm place all night.

In the morning, if there are bubbles in the sourdough, indicating that the yeast has been activated, begin the above process of making a batch of bread…being sure to leave a few cups of starter in the jar for future use!

JeNNiF00F00
01-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Nice! I LOVE my pampered chef! The stones are the best cooking devices imo.

JeNNiF00F00
01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I was just doing a little reading bout this sourdough business, and came across this. Thought it was interesting that someone had kept a sourdough starter alive for 100 years?!! Holy crap. Pretty interesting! http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/631610/5294419.aspx

asimplegirl
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, see the thing is that sourdough is all about fermentation...so, if you think about it, the longer you keep it, the better it would be.

It is the ultimate SHTF bread. You need no yeast, just grains, water, and the like.

robert4rp08
01-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Wow, this is awesome. Thanks for the very detailed instructions!

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 12:31 AM
you're welcome.

bj72
01-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, see the thing is that sourdough is all about fermentation...so, if you think about it, the longer you keep it, the better it would be.

It is the ultimate SHTF bread. You need no yeast, just grains, water, and the like.

Ahhhh, this is awesome! Thank you asimplegirl :)

We bought bulk whole grains almost 3 months ago from an organic co-op. First time for us. We were the typical eat-out or pre-packaged food genXers till a couple of years ago. My husband is an awesome cook, however I never learned growing up, so am slowly trying. We now eat a lot of organic and whole foods, but haven't tried to tackle the next level of preparing our own food till now.

I've been too sick (just entered 2nd trimester of 4th pregnancy) to do anything with the grains the past few months. Now that I'm not repulsed by food any longer and getting my energy back I've been wanting to try the bread making. We have purchased electric and manual grain grinders, an Electrolux (sp?) mixer (to make it easier when I have a hectic week), and some cast iron baking pans (want to pick up some stone or clay ones too).

The one thing my husband and I couldn't figure out while trying to begin our long term food storage plan is what we would do after Passover if the SHTF. We are supposed to get rid of yeast in the home, but how would we make bread then after Passover in such a scenario? We follow what is probably closest to Messianic Judaism (not exactly though), but not knowing a lot of people who follow that, much less have food storage plans, we didn't know where to turn. Food prep has been a bit of a challenge for us since we do not eat certain things like pork that are mentioned in many food storage books (we don't follow full-up "Rabbinical Kosher", just G-d's laws in the Bible).

Anyway, we want to learn to cook what we would store and rotate out. It needs to be healthy (whole grains mainly), stuff the children will actually eat day-to-day, but storable. I picked up some "Food for Life" books along with some other bread books, but at first glance most called for pre-packaged yeast.

Thank you for this helpful tutorial. You totally answered the nagging question we had not solved yet. Can't wait to print it out and put it to good use. Plus our home educated munchkins will love this project :D

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Try the book, "Nourishing Traditions", and check out Tammysrecipes.com.

Tammy is a Jewish mother, who has plenty of recipes like you are looking for. She has step by step tutorials with pictures, teaching you how to make even what is generally considered "convenience food".

Nourishing Traditions is a great book about whole foods, teaches the mechanics behind why and how of foods, and tells you alot of steps to take to preserve foods that are the healthiest for you, and the way to get most of the nutrients out of your food.

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735
I think you will like it.

Oh, also try mothering.com...they have alot of moms with these types of concerns that talk each other through these things.

acptulsa
01-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Now let's see if I can make you jealous, asimplegirl. We have an Amish community nearby, and this morning my boss (who lives very close to them) brought me a couple of cups of Friendship Bread starter!!

Yea!

Now, if only I had my grandfather the baker's cinnamon roll recipe! But I just couldn't learn it when I was little. His measuring cups were his hands, and mine were much smaller then...

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 08:42 AM
oh, I LOVE cinnamon rolls....Amish bread...mmmm...

You really wanna make me jealous?

Drink some raw milk...then, I will cry.

acptulsa
01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Drink some raw milk...then, I will cry.

Well then, if I do, I won't tell you.

Thanks for this thread. It's helping me understand these directions that came with the starter! Here's how it begins:

Simple rules to follow: DO NOT use any type of metal spoon, bowl for mixing or measuring cup. The metal will counteract the yeast and inhibit its growth.

DO NOT refrigerate, just leave it on your countertop and let it sit. Each day let out any air that accumulates. It is normal for the batter to bubble, ferment and rise. So follow these instructions.

Day one: Do NOTHING
Day two: Mush the plastic bag
Day three: Mush the bag
Day four: Mush the bag
Day five: Mush the bag
Day six: Add to the bag: One cup plain flour, one cup sugar, one cup milk then mush the bag
Day seven: Mush the bag
Day eight: Mush the bag
Day nine: Mush the bag
Day ten: Follow the instructions below:

I won't type the rest as you have to have the starter (which is a closely guarded Amish secret) to do it anyway. But you get the idea. Not a typical recipe.

Hope I can find someone nearby who is as interested as I am so I don't have to make a batch every ten days! You sound interested. Hmmm... Wonder how it would fare in the mail?

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Well then, if I do, I won't tell you.

Thanks for this thread. It's helping me understand these directions that came with the starter! Here's how it begins:

Simple rules to follow: DO NOT use any type of metal spoon, bowl for mixing or measuring cup. The metal will counteract the yeast and inhibit its growth.

DO NOT refrigerate, just leave it on your countertop and let it sit. Each day let out any air that accumulates. It is normal for the batter to bubble, ferment and rise. So follow these instructions.

Day one: Do NOTHING
Day two: Mush the plastic bag
Day three: Mush the bag
Day four: Mush the bag
Day five: Mush the bag
Day six: Add to the bag: One cup plain flour, one cup sugar, one cup milk then mush the bag
Day seven: Mush the bag
Day eight: Mush the bag
Day nine: Mush the bag
Day ten: Follow the instructions below:

I won't type the rest as you have to have the starter (which is a closely guarded Amish secret) to do it anyway. But you get the idea. Not a typical recipe.

Hope I can find someone nearby who is as interested as I am so I don't have to make a batch every ten days! You sound interested. Hmmm... Wonder how it would fare in the mail?

If you mail overnight, it would fair fine..no need to refrigerate?

If not, then yes, it;d be perfectly okay, since this would just be a way for it to be left alone. :)

I would *love* to have some of said starter if you were interested in sending. I could send you some sour dough when I do it again.

Interested?? I am salivating! lol

rancher89
01-14-2009, 11:37 AM

Try any Goodwill or resale store...

JeNNiF00F00
01-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Fixin' to go right now. I'm just gonna make a run to wallyworld since it is closer and b/c my car needs brakes. Ima have to do this the old fashioned way I suppose. :D

lucius
01-14-2009, 02:17 PM

I keep my starter in a gallon zip lock bag, don't forget throw one in the freezer for later/gifts.

ps: great thread...

JeNNiF00F00
01-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Welp I got my stuff and started the process earlier today. I just had to peek in there and its already looking like a watery layer forming at the top of the mixture. I am really hoping this turns out. :D

asimplegirl
01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
let me know how it goes, okay?

JeNNiF00F00
01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Oh most definately! You have sparked a mission for me. A long time ago I was interested in baking artisan breads and then lost the spark after things around home started getting hectic etc. Now things are a little more settled at home and I think this is something I can be good at. I'll keep you guys up to date. ;)

JeNNiF00F00
01-15-2009, 09:14 AM
When you said this

Just so you know, most pizza doughs like NY pizza dough are usually sourdoughs. ;) Not all sourdough has to have that soured taste.

JeNNiF00F00
01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I have a question. I am using a pampered chef mixing bowl which is halfway full already. Can I taper off the feeding from 1 cup to 1/2 cup per day in order to salvage some room? Or will this starve off my baby?

roho76
01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Try any Goodwill or resale store...

Just buy a pack and start canning other foods too.

tangent4ronpaul
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-Starter/Detail.aspx

Be sure to read the second part!

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

SUBMITTED BY: GINNY LEE PHOTO BY: carrie
"Make something special to share with a friend! This delicious starter can make a variety of breads. Do not use metal containers or utensils."

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
* 3 cups white sugar, divided
* 3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
2. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

FOOTNOTES

Editor's Note
Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

==================

Olga
Dec. 4, 2007
If you read up on sourdoughs and starters, you'll find that one of the reasons people mess with them is the health benefit of the natural occuring yeasts. Unfortunately, most people these days have become too "domesticated", and so can't see how letting something go sour on its own can be any good. Thus, most "official" starter recipes call for addition of store bought yeast. In the authentic way, you start with one cup each of flour, milk and sugar, stir it every day for the first 4 days, add one cup each of flour, milk and sugar on day 5, stir well; stir it every day for the next 4 days; add one cup each of flour, milk and sugar on day 10, stir well - and you should be ready to use the starter. Traditional recipes ask to only use wooden or plastic bowls/jars/utensils. This is done because there is a possibility of the yeast's acidity acting on the metal and changing PH and messing everything up. The other important point to make, is that when you're making the starter, it should be left uncovered or covered loosely with cheese cloth or such. The starter needs airflow! Once ready, the starter could be kept in the fridge for about 2 weeks; to reactivate it, take it out and feed it with one cup each of flour, milk and sugar, stir well and leave at room temperature. I think that starter can be covered with a lid/kept in a zip-lock bag while refridgerated. For those who want to have their starter always available - keep it at room temperature, stir it every day, and fe [post truncated]

============

THIS IS THE RECIPE/NOTES THAT I GOT WITH THE BREAD THAT WAS PASSED TO ME AND IT'S QUITE DIFFERENT SO I'M CURIOUS HOW MUCH IT MATTERS??? Please note the following: Do not use any type of metal spoon or bowl. Do not refrigerate. If air gets into the bag, let it out. It is normal for the batter to rise and ferment. Day 1: Do nothing, this is the day you receive the batter. The bag is dated. Day 2: Mash the bag Day 3: Mash the bag Day 4: Mash the bag Day 5: Mash the bag Day 6: Add to the bag :1 C. flour 1 C. sugar and 1 C. cold milk. Mash the bag. Day 7: Mash the bag Day 8: Mash the bag Day 9: Mash the bag Day 10: Follow the directions below: 1. Pour the entire contents of the bag into a Non Metal Bowl. 2. Add 1 1/2 C. flour, 1 1/2 C. of sugar, 1 1/2 C. of milk 3. Measure out 4 separate batters (1 cup each) into 4 Ziplock (1 gallon bags). Keep a starter bag for yourself and give 3 to friends with a copy of the recipe. Note: If you keep a starter for yourself you will be baking every 10 days. Baking Instructions: 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 2. To the remaining batter in the bowl add: 3 eggs 1 cup of oil 1/2 cup of milk 1 cup of sugar 2 tsp. of cinnamon 1/2 tsp. of vanilla 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder 1/2 tsp. of baking soda 1/2 tsp. of salt 2 cups of flour 2 small boxes of pudding (optional) 1 cup of chopped nuts, raisins, dried fruit or chocolate chips 3. Grease 2 large loaf pans(may need 3 medium sized loaf pans) 4. Mix into separ [Message truncated]

================

-t

acptulsa
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, that makes it sound like the starter isn't so hard to do. But that does kind of take the sense of community out of it. Not quite as fun, either.

I wonder if they get better as it gets--how do you describe it?--more generations removed from the original starter?

Suzu
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
The flavor is so pure when you use my recipe, which has just three (3) ingredients: Flour, Water, Salt.

This is bread the way it was made in Jesus' time. This is bread you can live on if you have to, and you can tell this by the taste! Bread that will not spoil for weeks if stored in parchment. Bread that tastes better than any food you have ever eaten!

Please, make a few loaves for yourself and see what you think. And please, let me know!

Freshly ground wheat is ideal, but are you using the right stones to grind with? Natural stones are best. No steel, and keep the speed slow to prevent heating up the flour. It should come out of the mill at no higher than body temp.

Use pure water from a spring or well. No chlorinated or fluoridated tap water - not only is adulterated water unhealthy in the extreme, it also kills natural airborne yeast organisms, and your bread will fail.

The final ingredient is the highest quality of sea salt. The best salt is slightly moist and slightly grayish, and the particles are irregular in shape. Do not use salt that has perfect cube-shaped granules. You may have to hunt around for some good salt. There are some good brands around. "Lima" is one of the best.

You will have to adjust the quantities of flour and water intuitively, as I cannot give you precise quantities. Just make a nice dough. As an experienced baker, you can feel this out. Dissolve the salt in the water first. The salt should be added at the rate of about half a teaspoon per lb. of flour (two cups dry wheat).

Use less water than you will actually need. You can add more as needed. Make dough from your freshly ground whole wheat, pure water and sea salt ONLY. No oil, no honey, no milk, no yeast; only flour, water and salt.

Knead, knead, knead, knead, and knead some more! Add water as you go, as the dough becomes stiff, but don't make it too soft.

Flour the inner surface of a large ceramic bowl, and the surface of the dough. Place the dough into the bowl, cover the bowl with moist toweling and set it in a warm place for several hours - this is to let the natural yeast from the environment make it rise. As opposed to using sourdough starter. This bread will be sweet like a cake.

After the dough has been sitting for several hours, take it out and knead again. Knead thoroughly. Then let it "rise" for about eight hours (more of less, depending on the ambient temp).

Now, divide the dough into loaves. Round loaves are best, as they can be baked on a shelf without pans. You do not need to oil the shelf; but put cornmeal on the bottom of each loaf to keep it from sticking. Make the loaves a bit smaller than volleyballs, and flatten them to about 4-5" in height at the center.

Bake these loaves at a very low temp. 225-250 degrees is ideal. I can't tell you how long they take. Go by the aroma. Push a bamboo skewer into the center to check for doneness. It should come out clean.

Let this bread cool down for at least an hour and preferably overnight before eating. This is the kind of bread that's best served broken, not sliced.

If you followed all the instructions correctly, the bread will taste almost like a cake. You won't believe how delicious it is.

Wrap the loaves in parchment - NEVER use plastic!!! - and store them in a breadbox. If you don't have an actual breadbox, a cardboard box will do. Keep them in a cool place but don't refrigerate, try to use them up while they're fresh. They will keep for at least a week this way, and probably longer.

Please try this method, and let me know about your results!

lucius
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
The flavor is so pure when you use my recipe, which has just three (3) ingredients: Flour, Water, Salt.

This is bread the way it was made in Jesus' time. This is bread you can live on if you have to, and you can tell this by the taste! Bread that will not spoil for weeks if stored in parchment. Bread that tastes better than any food you have ever eaten!

Please, make a few loaves for yourself and see what you think. And please, let me know!

Freshly ground wheat is ideal, but are you using the right stones to grind with? Natural stones are best. No steel, and keep the speed slow to prevent heating up the flour. It should come out of the mill at no higher than body temp.

Use pure water from a spring or well. No chlorinated or fluoridated tap water - not only is adulterated water unhealthy in the extreme, it also kills natural airborne yeast organisms, and your bread will fail.

The final ingredient is the highest quality of sea salt. The best salt is slightly moist and slightly grayish, and the particles are irregular in shape. Do not use salt that has perfect cube-shaped granules. You may have to hunt around for some good salt. There are some good brands around. "Lima" is one of the best.

You will have to adjust the quantities of flour and water intuitively, as I cannot give you precise quantities. Just make a nice dough. As an experienced baker, you can feel this out. Dissolve the salt in the water first. The salt should be added at the rate of about half a teaspoon per lb. of flour (two cups dry wheat).

Use less water than you will actually need. You can add more as needed. Make dough from your freshly ground whole wheat, pure water and sea salt ONLY. No oil, no honey, no milk, no yeast; only flour, water and salt.

Knead, knead, knead, knead, and knead some more! Add water as you go, as the dough becomes stiff, but don't make it too soft.

Flour the inner surface of a large ceramic bowl, and the surface of the dough. Place the dough into the bowl, cover the bowl with moist toweling and set it in a warm place for several hours - this is to let the natural yeast from the environment make it rise. As opposed to using sourdough starter. This bread will be sweet like a cake.

After the dough has been sitting for several hours, take it out and knead again. Knead thoroughly. Then let it "rise" for about eight hours (more of less, depending on the ambient temp).

Now, divide the dough into loaves. Round loaves are best, as they can be baked on a shelf without pans. You do not need to oil the shelf; but put cornmeal on the bottom of each loaf to keep it from sticking. Make the loaves a bit smaller than volleyballs, and flatten them to about 4-5" in height at the center.

Bake these loaves at a very low temp. 225-250 degrees is ideal. I can't tell you how long they take. Go by the aroma. Push a bamboo skewer into the center to check for doneness. It should come out clean.

Let this bread cool down for at least an hour and preferably overnight before eating. This is the kind of bread that's best served broken, not sliced.

If you followed all the instructions correctly, the bread will taste almost like a cake. You won't believe how delicious it is.

Wrap the loaves in parchment - NEVER use plastic!!! - and store them in a breadbox. If you don't have an actual breadbox, a cardboard box will do. Keep them in a cool place but don't refrigerate, try to use them up while they're fresh. They will keep for at least a week this way, and probably longer.

Please try this method, and let me know about your results!

Thanks Suzu!

acptulsa
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Suzu!

Yeah--and long time no see!

rancher89
01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow, what a great thread. Bread is a passion for me (and my husband) but we abandoned it in the low carb craze. We've gotten past that, thank goodness and are back to moderate bread eating.

I hope no one minded my inclusion of the MEN variation on easy bread. It sounded to me that you would end up with a sourdough bread after several generations, just by incorporating the previous "leftover" dough into the mixture.

Knowing how to actually make it from scratch is awesome. I'm actually thinking about making cheese from scratch as well.

I do have a "somewhat" delicate digestive system. Stuff that doesn't even register to other people, knocks me for a loop. I've eaten stuff that's laid me low for three days and the other people that ate it never even burped. B-King almost killed me and I don't eat fast food at all anymore. I think I hold the record for surviving food poisoning. Do you know what's the worse for food poisoning--rice in a buffet pan. If it's not stirred often to mix and pull the hot side stuff into the cooler inner stuff--whammo food poisoning. that's why you see rice in steam pots on most buffets now. I just don't eat rice at buffets. I'm not nuts about "super cleanliness" in the kitchen, but I do have my limits. ( my ex motherinlaw used to wash her dishes by hand and then run them through the dishwasher, I'm not that nuts....) When first looking at the way to make bread, or cheese for that matter, my stomach actually grumbled. I even have a reaction to pennicillen.

I think I'm going to go with the packaged yeast and try the friendship bread as well as the MEN method. Knowing that I can freeze portions makes it much more practical for two people who don't really eat that much bread, but really enjoy the finer things in life.

Next on my list is making beer and wine---Woo Hoo, can't wait to see what comes up on that thread!!

BTW thanks everyone here, I really do take all the advice and helpful hints to heart.

JeNNiF00F00
01-15-2009, 09:16 PM
ITS ALIIIVEEEE!!! I just peeked at my new pet and I had to call my mom into the kitchen to look at how much its grown. lol Its all gooey and has all these bubbles and is taking on a sweet and a soury smell at the moment. There isn't any liquid like there was this morning but it has risen in the container about an inch since then. I think I am going to name it. It deserves a name since I am feeding and watering it on a daily basis and such. :D

asimplegirl
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a question. I am using a pampered chef mixing bowl which is halfway full already. Can I taper off the feeding from 1 cup to 1/2 cup per day in order to salvage some room? Or will this starve off my baby?

Sorry I didn't catch this in time.

Did yo figure it out, or still need an answer?

asimplegirl
01-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow, what a great thread. Bread is a passion for me (and my husband) but we abandoned it in the low carb craze. We've gotten past that, thank goodness and are back to moderate bread eating.

I hope no one minded my inclusion of the MEN variation on easy bread. It sounded to me that you would end up with a sourdough bread after several generations, just by incorporating the previous "leftover" dough into the mixture.

Knowing how to actually make it from scratch is awesome. I'm actually thinking about making cheese from scratch as well.

I do have a "somewhat" delicate digestive system. Stuff that doesn't even register to other people, knocks me for a loop. I've eaten stuff that's laid me low for three days and the other people that ate it never even burped. B-King almost killed me and I don't eat fast food at all anymore. I think I hold the record for surviving food poisoning. Do you know what's the worse for food poisoning--rice in a buffet pan. If it's not stirred often to mix and pull the hot side stuff into the cooler inner stuff--whammo food poisoning. that's why you see rice in steam pots on most buffets now. I just don't eat rice at buffets. I'm not nuts about "super cleanliness" in the kitchen, but I do have my limits. ( my ex motherinlaw used to wash her dishes by hand and then run them through the dishwasher, I'm not that nuts....) When first looking at the way to make bread, or cheese for that matter, my stomach actually grumbled. I even have a reaction to pennicillen.

I think I'm going to go with the packaged yeast and try the friendship bread as well as the MEN method. Knowing that I can freeze portions makes it much more practical for two people who don't really eat that much bread, but really enjoy the finer things in life.

Next on my list is making beer and wine---Woo Hoo, can't wait to see what comes up on that thread!!

BTW thanks everyone here, I really do take all the advice and helpful hints to heart.

MY husband has ALOT of digestion issues, and has a hard time with alot of things he eats. The sourdough WITHOUT yeast soaks the grains (your sponge), and makes them easier to digest. I would suggest trying it.

BTW, homemade cheese is great, I used to love making it, maybe I will start back up again when I get back into my house. I will be making butter again.:)

asimplegirl
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
ITS ALIIIVEEEE!!! I just peeked at my new pet and I had to call my mom into the kitchen to look at how much its grown. lol Its all gooey and has all these bubbles and is taking on a sweet and a soury smell at the moment. There isn't any liquid like there was this morning but it has risen in the container about an inch since then. I think I am going to name it. It deserves a name since I am feeding and watering it on a daily basis and such. :D

WOW! Great!

What day is it for your baby?

JeNNiF00F00
01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
WOW! Great!

What day is it for your baby?

This is day 2 going on 3. When I looked up there that cabinet space above the fridge was pretty warm. Good spot. :)

asimplegirl
01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Yep. Best place for breads to rise, also. :)

Elwar
01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Great thread, I'm not that much of a cook (except I rock the George Foreman) but I sometimes like to do a day of from scratch cooking. I made some monkey bread a few months ago that didn't go all that well because I think I rushed it.

I'm going to try this recipe out, I sent my wife out in search of cheese cloth and a large mason jar.
I have a question about the flour. I think I only have the regular white flour that you'd get at a grocery store at home. Would this work or does it have to be whole wheat or rye?

If I can get this to work I'll try to do it from scratch from wheat, but first things first.

Also, I'm not sure of what kind of pans I have at home for cooking bread. I think I have a metal bread pan and -maybe- a glass one. Would the metal pan not be good for baking this bread?

Crowish
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
You can make cheese by putting natural yogurt (not non fat / low fat) in cheesecloth & hanging it over a bowl to drain. Or line a colander with cheesecloth & put it over a bowl & let it drain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labaneh

Or you can make farmer's cheese:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Home-Made-Farmers-Cheese/Detail.aspx

Milk here is expensive, though. Almost $5 a gallon in our neighborhood grocery.

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Great thread, I'm not that much of a cook (except I rock the George Foreman) but I sometimes like to do a day of from scratch cooking. I made some monkey bread a few months ago that didn't go all that well because I think I rushed it.

I'm going to try this recipe out, I sent my wife out in search of cheese cloth and a large mason jar.
I have a question about the flour. I think I only have the regular white flour that you'd get at a grocery store at home. Would this work or does it have to be whole wheat or rye?

If I can get this to work I'll try to do it from scratch from wheat, but first things first.

Also, I'm not sure of what kind of pans I have at home for cooking bread. I think I have a metal bread pan and -maybe- a glass one. Would the metal pan not be good for baking this bread?

You can use regular flour, I just like WW for the nutrition quality.

DO NOT USE METAL..only glass, or stoneware...just don't. It won't work.

You could just bake one a time using the glass one?

JeNNiF00F00
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
I got the king arthur brand unbleached flour and it seems to be working good and from what ive read on the net a lot of peeps who make bread like this brand. I found the cheesecloth in the hardware section at walmart superstore just for an FYI for anyone looking for it. Still have not found jars. Apparently they don't carry jars around here during the winter. lol

Today is day 3 for me and my pet is really sticky and bubbly looking today. Smell was good yesterday but today it smells like ass to be honest.

asimplegirl
01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
You find the jars with the seasonal stuff in kitchenwares...like with pitchers and plastic glasses. That's the only place I can find them in WM.

JeNNiF00F00
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
You find the jars with the seasonal stuff in kitchenwares...like with pitchers and plastic glasses. That's the only place I can find them in WM.

Yeah I was looking for them in that section, and the guy working there told me they dont sell them in the winter. Maybe I should have asked another person. lol :D

Elwar
01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Ok, just like when I watch those home fix-it shows where they make it look easy to switch out a lightbulb and then I go to do it and get electrocuted, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

First off, I didn't have a glass jar so I went with a large glass bowl that's a measuring cup, I believe it's about 8 cups big.

So, I put in the 2 cups of flour and 2 cups of water and mixed it. It wasn't "soupy" like the OP described. It was more like thick pancake mix. So I added more and more water until it was soupy.

I covered it with the cheesecloth using rubber bands tied together and let it sit for 24 hours. When I went to change it out there was no brown liquid on top, just a small layer of clear liquid (mainly water). I poured off that liquid and added another cup of flour and cup of water and put it back in the cupboard.

Am I missing something? Could it be because of the cold wave that's come through? We have the heat on 70 and the bowl is in the cupboard.

Any advise would be great. Do I keep pouring off the water?

withallmyheart
01-17-2009, 09:42 PM
This is my first time making a starter and I have been pouring off the (brown) liquid. I'm using whole wheat flour so I don't know if that's why the liquid is brown. Can't address the first part of your question because I don't know.

I'm using my crockpot bowl because I don't have a glass bowl big enough.

I've just been making bread regularly for a few months. I watched this video and all it's parts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNL8KTOyUxw&feature=related The change I made to her recipe is I add salt and honey. I taste the sponge to make sure I've got the portions the way I like them.

Good luck.

asimplegirl
01-17-2009, 09:51 PM
The glass bowl is fine.

I cannot tell you if what you are doing is right, since I cannot see it. If you followed the directions with exact portions, and just found it to be too thick, and added a little water, I am sure it will be fine, just follow the rest of the directions as it goes.

The_Orlonater
01-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Looks good. ;)

I don't have time to make bread with my schedule, but I am fortunate to live in a great market for food.

Elwar
01-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Ok, I guess it's working. I can smell the sourness. Though I still don't have any brown liquid. It might be because I used white flour...who knows.

zach
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Think I can make this in my dorm? :D

asimplegirl
01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I am sure you could if you had an oven and glassware/stoneware.

asimplegirl
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Here are some more sour dough recipes from the same blog:

Sourdough Pancakes

The night before your breakfast, place the starter in a medium size mixing bowl. Add 2 cups warm water and 2 cups flour. Beat well and set in a warm place, free from draft, to develop overnight. In the morning the batter will have gained 1/2 again its bulk and be covered with air bubbles. It will have a pleasant yeasty odor.

Set aside 1/2 cup sponge in the refrigerator jar for your sourdough starter the next time. To remaining sponge add:

1 or 2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. sugar

Beat with a fork and blend in all ingredients. Add 2 Tbl melted fat. Bake on a hot griddle. Turn once. Serve.

Sourdough Waffles

Set the sponge as for pancakes. Make it slightly thicker. Let it stand overnight. Remove the usual 1/2 starter for next time, and to the remaining sponge add:

1 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. soda
2 eggs
1.4 cup melted fat

Mix well and add fat just before baking. Bake according to directions that came with the waffle iron.

Here are some of Jill’s recipes:

Sourdough Waffles

In a large bowl put 1 cup of sourdough starter, add 2 cups of warm water and 3 cups of flour. Beat until smooth, cover and let stand overnight. The next morning beat in 3 eggs, ½ cup of oil, 2 T honey,or Rapadura, 1 tsp of salt. Stir in a small cup put ¼ t. baking soda in 1 T water and swirl around quickly and then pour right into the batter. Let stand 30 minutes and then use in a waffle iron. These are fabulous!

Sourdough Pancakes

The night before put 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sourdough starter and 1 cup of milk. Hand mix well and cover and let stand overnight. The next morning add 2 beaten eggs, 1 tablespoon of honey,or Rapadura 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of soda and 3 T oil.
Mix together and cook like regular pancakes. These are very yummy.

Fried Cakes (Jill says, “This is one of our favorite recipes. We don’t fry often but when we do these are so disgustingly good with homemade jam or honey dipped in.”)

Mix 1 cup of flour, 2 tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of baking soda, 2 T honey or rapadura. Then add 2 cups of starter. Add enough flour to roll in a ball. Roll it out to about ½ inch thick and then cut into pieces and shapes. They should be smaller than a biscuit, probably about half the size of a biscuit. We like making funny shapes. Fry in hot oil and then put on paper towels to cool.

JeNNiF00F00
01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I am still working with my starter. However, it REALLY smells bad. I just fed it and it is so strong I almost barfed in the sink. Should it be this stinky? lol I think that I will try making my bread tomorrows.

EgwaTlvdatsi
01-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh for crying out loud...Just happened on this thread and my mouth is watering...

I used to make sour dough bread at least once a month back many many years ago. Guess, I'll start doing it again...Hmm...I wonder if I remember how to do it...Haven't read your recipe yet, but I'll do so. Mine, I think, was 2c Flour, 2c Water. 1pkg Yeast, 2T Sugar. Let stand for 5 days, or until sour. In our Kansas heat it usually took a little less time.

Thanks for the thread. It's got me longing for something I haven't had in years...:D...

Oh, if you'd like to try it, there's a bread I used to make which I called bitter bread. While making the sour dough bread, take a rather small piece of dough and set it aside. Make sure it's small for this bread can not be eaten in large amounts. And while letting the dough sit to sour, let the small piece sit for about twice that amount of time. Then form it into a small bread pan, or other (I used a small round pan to bake it in). Then adjust the cooking time accordingly with it's size. This one has a very unique flavor.

Elwar
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I am still working with my starter. However, it REALLY smells bad. I just fed it and it is so strong I almost barfed in the sink. Should it be this stinky? lol I think that I will try making my bread tomorrows.

lol, I just got a call from my wife saying that my bread is starting to stink up the kitchen ( I have it in the cupboard ).

My day 7 will be Friday but I'll probably wait until Saturday morning to start it up.

JeNNiF00F00
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
lol, I just got a call from my wife saying that my bread is starting to stink up the kitchen ( I have it in the cupboard ).

My day 7 will be Friday but I'll probably wait until Saturday morning to start it up.

hahaha I dont smell it unless I am feeding it thank god. It smells like sour ASS. This is day 8 for me. :)

asimplegirl
01-21-2009, 10:51 PM
lol. yep it stinks pretty bad, but thats why I pour off all the liquid and change the jar/bowl...I don't want it to be too strong.

Elwar
01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, my bread didn't work.

I fed it just like the directions, I used a glass bowl and the crock pot to go back and forth. Had the cheesecloth on and all of that.
I never got that much of a brown liquid, mainly just the water separating.

I went for a week following the directions and, although it stunk, it didn't really show any bubbling. When I made the dough it didn't rise.

It just finished cooking and it's like a thick pancake.

Could it be because I used bleached flour? Or didn't wait long enough? It was in a nice warm place the whole time.

Dr.3D
01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
If anybody starts seeing mold in their starter, throw it out and start over.

It isn't supposed to have mold in it. As for smell, it shouldn't smell much different than freshly soured milk. If it smells worse than that, there must be something else growing in your culture and it may be poisonous.

There are many web sites showing how to make sourdough starter and when in doubt, check some of these sites to see if they have any additional hints and suggestions.

Once you get a good starter, it shouldn't have as many problems with mold, because it will keep mold from growing as easily.

Once you have a good mature starter, you can put it in the refrigerator and feed it once a month.

lucius
01-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I have this Amish starter that I have had sitting out for almost three months (in a gallon ziplock bag)--about every 10 days I feed it a cup of milk/sugar/flour each. Have to burp/squeeze the bag every couple of days.

Lambic-Rice Aebleskivers:

2 cups rice--blend into flour
2 cups of Amish starter (about as thick as buttermilk by now)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinimmon
1/3 cup honey

Fry in coconut oil.

Makes a whole gallon ziplock full--kids go freakin' nuts over them.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/storeimages/{B45F41FC-C116-4954-AF4C-083CC44ACC79}_P7A3.jpg

You can get one of these pans for only $20 bucks, some places even have free shipping--look for 'pancake puffs.'

Dr.3D
01-25-2009, 04:34 PM
2 cups rice--blend into flour

I would guess that would cooked rice. :)

lucius
01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
I would guess that would cooked rice. :)

Dry uncooked rice in a blendtec blender, makes very fine flour.

Dr.3D
01-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Oh, ok... thought you meant to blend whole rice with regular flour. Good thing you have clarified this.

asimplegirl
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, my bread didn't work.

I fed it just like the directions, I used a glass bowl and the crock pot to go back and forth. Had the cheesecloth on and all of that.
I never got that much of a brown liquid, mainly just the water separating.

I went for a week following the directions and, although it stunk, it didn't really show any bubbling. When I made the dough it didn't rise.

It just finished cooking and it's like a thick pancake.

Could it be because I used bleached flour? Or didn't wait long enough? It was in a nice warm place the whole time.

It could be...never tried anyhting but whole wheat. You should probably cut out some liquid if you use bleached, right?

Rice flour is so much different than regular flour and the taste is TERRIBLE. Hubby has chemical intolerance, and while testing for celiac disease we had to go gluten free and try rice flour. YUCK.

He said he would have to go aheadand die before eating that again. Said he is not a farm animal and WILL NOT eat it again.

amonasro
01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Here's my homemade bread recipe, it's simple, cheap & easy. I use it for pizza dough and french bread with great results. This recipe makes 2 pizza crusts or two loaves of french bread.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 packet dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
3/4 cup warm water (105-110 degrees)

Stir yeast in warm water until dissolved. (Make sure the water isn't too hot or you'll kill the yeast.) Let it sit while you prepare the flour, about 5 minutes. Mix flour & salt together in a bowl. Whisk in olive oil until well combined. Stir in water & yeast mixture and form a loose dough ball. Add a bit more water if it's too dry, it should just hold together after kneading it a few times. Cover, put in a warm place and let rise for an hour or until it doubles in size. Knead the dough a few more times, cut in half and it's ready to go.

I made a pizza with it tonight--roll it out flat to 8-10" diameter, add your favorite toppings and bake @ 450 for 10-13 minutes. Here's a pic, yum:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7300/pizza0037205048bf9.jpg

asimplegirl
01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Looks REALLY good.. I love pizza, my fav is margherita. MMMM.

Here's a good recipe for all natural homemade pepperoni that goes GREAT on pizza.

Yield: 2 pounds of pepperoni
Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef (85% lean or leaner)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 1/2 or 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed*
1 or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper**
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 heaping teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick curing salt
Instructions:

1. Combine seasonings and meat and mix thoroughly, using hands. Cover and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.

2. Form meat into two long logs or rolls. Place a rack (or pan/sheet with drainage) on a cookie sheet and put the logs onto rack. Bake at 200 degrees for 8 hours, rotating logs every 2 hours.

3. Logs will be a bright pink when they are finished, and should be fairly dry and firm. Wipe off excess grease and allow meat to cool. Chill and then slice thinly. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/files/tammysspicypepperoni350.jpg

Dr.3D
01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Carl T. Griffith, who gave a sourdough starter to anyone who asked, or who sent him a self-addressed stamped envelope, died early in the year 2000 at the age of 80. He is known for his generosity and the high quality and vitality of his sourdough starts, which came from a sourdough culture carefully nurtured and preserved in his family for over 150 years.
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/aboutcarl.html

If you have had problems getting your starter going, here is an easy way to get one going. This is very good, because it will let you know what a good starter should smell and taste like.

Go to this web site and follow the instructions.
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/source.html

It appears this starter has been kept alive for over 150 years.

This is free, but I would suggest sending a dollar or two, to help them out with the processing. They are sure to appreciate getting a little bit of money to help out.

Here is where you may learn how to get the dried starter going.
http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/revive.txt

I really hope those who have had problems will get this free starter and try again to see how it works out.

Also, here is a very good and easy sourdough bread recipe.
http://www.sourdoughhome.com/sourdoughfasttrack4.html

If you are a beginner, that would be the first recipe you should try.

When you get a good starter going, you may wish to turn it into a white flour starter. You can do this by taking a tablespoon full of your whole wheat starter and mixing it with an equal amount of white flour and water mixture.

After 12 hours, add enough white flour and water to double the amount of starter in your jar. By doing this enough (every 12 hours) and throwing away half of what is in the jar but keeping the jar as full as it was by adding white flour and water, you will soon have a white flour starter. (I use 3/8ths of a cup of flour to 1/4 cup of water.)

It is also a good idea to change to a clean jar every couple of days. If there is any starter left on the sides of the jar, it can start to mold and ruin your starter.

Presently, I use a half gallon mason jar to build up starter in. This way I can have the required two cups of starter required for the above recipe.

I tend to keep my starter on the thick side, almost like a very wet bread dough. This slows down growth a little but allows you to see if it rises to double in size every 12 hours. The above recipe requires this very thick starter as well.

Hope this helps....
Enjoy your adventure!

rancher89
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Don't forget my easy bread receipe earlier in this thread, it is the bomb and the more you make the more like sour dough it gets

HOLLYWOOD
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Just so you know, most pizza doughs like NY pizza dough are usually sourdoughs. ;) Not all sourdough has to have that soured taste.

Here's the best Website to making the best PIZZA in the world! My mouth waters everytime I read through this website. I ALWAYS fail to make a pizza like his. I fail at the dough.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm (http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm)

Now for my futility... I cannot make bread, I cannot make PIZZA dough.

I have tried everything:

Correct water tempratures...
every different kind of yeast you can buy at the store...
Different flours
different recipres
Whole Wheat flours
eggs
morton salt, Sea Salt, Kosher salt
kneeing by hand and by machine
sugar
mixers
warm temps
cool temps

I can get bread to rise after I mix the ingredients..

but everything that comes out of the is hard as brick and if I throw it hard enough, I take out an Abrahm's M1 Tank!

I think I chipped a tooth because of my bread,

I wanta make PIZZAS, CALZONES and BREAD.... Rahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I EVEN BOUGH A CHEF'S SHIRT... nothing helps

HELP...I cannot make bread :confused::(

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2630567664_cc72d5b691_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2630555606_7fc1f89e62_o.jpg

withallmyheart
01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Hollywood,
Watch this lady's you tubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNL8KTOyUxw
I couldn't make bread either until I watched her method. I add honey and salt to my bread.
Good luck!

Dr.3D
01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Here's the best Website to making the best PIZZA in the world! My mouth waters everytime I read through this website. I ALWAYS fail to make a pizza like his. I fail at the dough.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm (http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm)

Now for my futility... I cannot make bread, I cannot make PIZZA dough.

I have tried everything:

Correct water tempratures...
every different kind of yeast you can buy at the store...
Different flours
different recipres
Whole Wheat flours
eggs
morton salt, Sea Salt, Kosher salt
kneeing by hand and by machine
sugar
mixers
warm temps
cool temps

I can get bread to rise after I mix the ingredients..

but everything that comes out of the is hard as brick and if I throw it hard enough, I take out an Abrahm's M1 Tank!

I think I chipped a tooth because of my bread,

I wanta make PIZZAS, CALZONES and BREAD.... Rahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I EVEN BOUGH A CHEF'S SHIRT... nothing helps

HELP...I cannot make bread :confused::(

Sounds like perhaps you are not using enough water. This is a common problem and most people don't use enough water. The dough should be pretty wet but just dry enough to work with. I know I had that problem too, but after I tried using a lot more water, the problem went away.