PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it, but im hoping for free health care

robertwerden
01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I am not poor, and I can pay for insurance, but Damn it is expensive. I have a family of 5 and I just cant afford it any more, so I only have my kids insured now.

I just hope me and my wife stay healthy.

I hate the idea of socialized medicine, but if there was a way to divert the money from somewhere silly like our over seas empire and put it in health care rebates, Id be good with that.
I need to pay over $800 - $1500 a month for health care for my family and that is a huge nut, and that is not even full coverage.

heavenlyboy34
01-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I am not poor, and I can pay for insurance, but Damn it is expensive. I have a family of 5 and I just cant afford it any more, so I only have my kids insured now.

I hate the idea of socialized medicine, but if there was a way to divert the money from somewhere silly like our over seas empire and put it in health care rebates, Id be good with that.
I need to pay over $800 - $1500 a month for health care for my family and that is a huge nut, and that is not even full coverage.

Wouldn't a health savings account help? :confused:

Kraig
01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
/facepalm

dannno
01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
The reason healthcare is so expensive is because of government mandates. Ron Paul figured that after taking into account inflation, doctors visits used to cost about the same amount as your co-pay costs now. People used to pay for medical procedures in cash, it wasn't that big of a deal.

You are going to pay for healthcare one way or another, and if it becomes socialized it will be even more expensive for you. Either your taxes will go up OR the prices of other goods and services will go up and you will lose buying power, but really it's the same thing in the long run.

Western medicine sucks, and our Monsanto based diets are killing us. If you want to be healthy, eat organic. Try to avoid meat. Have a couple of teaspoons of UN-filtered apple cider vinegar (shake well) with 8 oz of water and a twist of lemon or lime once per day.

If you want medicine to be cheap again, then you should want to shut down the FDA and return to a free market healthcare system.

werdd
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I know its hard and expensive, but how can you honestly think that goverment owes you anything?

America is about providing for yourself, and if you cant afford healthcare, heres an option. Dont get healthcare.

People lived in america for over 250 years without any healthcare.

heavenlyboy34
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
The reason healthcare is so expensive is because of government mandates. Ron Paul figured that after taking into account inflation, doctors visits used to cost about the same amount as your co-pay costs now. People used to pay for medical procedures in cash, it wasn't that big of a deal.

You are going to pay for healthcare one way or another, and if it becomes socialized it will be even more expensive for you. Either your taxes will go up OR the prices of other goods and services will go up and you will lose buying power, but really it's the same thing in the long run.

Western medicine sucks, and our Monsanto based diets are killing us. If you want to be healthy, eat organic. Try to avoid meat. Have a couple of teaspoons of UN-filtered apple cider vinegar (shake well) with 8 oz of water and a twist of lemon or lime once per day.

If you want medicine to be cheap again, then you should want to shut down the FDA and return to a free market healthcare system.

QFT!!! :D There are a lot of folks here who seem to need government to help them do everything, so we've got a lot of work to do on educating and changing minds, danno. :eek::(

ihsv
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Who provides "Free" health care?

Certainly not the government. All they can give you is what they steal from someone else.

heavenlyboy34
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I know its hard and expensive, but how can you honestly think that goverment owes you anything?

America is about providing for yourself, and if you cant afford healthcare, heres an option. Dont get healthcare.

During those 250 years, there was no FDA or gov'ment regulation! ;)

liberteebell
01-12-2009, 04:53 PM

+2009!!!

I'm old enough to remember the good 'ol days of health care; it was inexpensive AND very good.

LibertyEagle
01-12-2009, 05:06 PM

They still had access to healthcare however. BIG difference.

Nowadays the government has messed with ours so much that the costs are highly inflated. So, if you do not have good insurance, you're going to be left paying extremly inflated rates.

lucius
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Nowadays the government has messed with ours so much that the costs are highly inflated. So, if you do not have good insurance, you're going to be left paying extremly inflated rates.

agree, the fee doesn't match the service.

Mesogen
01-12-2009, 05:10 PM

It's not free. Not in the money you will be required to pay, something like 4-6% of your income as a payroll tax.

It's also not free in that pretty soon people will start demanding, since they are paying for other people's health care, that they take better care of themselves. Politicians will start talking about preventative medicine and you will be required to live a certain lifestyle. Did you eat some french fries?Well, you may have to pay more in taxes for that. Do you smoke? Add a little more on to the bill. It's just like the insurance companies, except this time it's mandatory.

Mesogen
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM

The government owes us plenty. It owes us our money back and then to leave us alone.

Mesogen
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Well, for a lot of that time "health care" consisted of bloodletting and not much more.

IIRC it was bloodletting that killed George Washington and not the bronchitis that the bloodletting was supposed to cure.

Conza88
01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Fck.. I was going to post a picture of a parasite.. all too disgusting though.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
You do know that if you are in need of healthcare, there is always a plan for you, even as it is now. Every hospital has a charity options you can choose when they bill you if you call and ask about it. There are charity hospitals that only take people that need help paying.

Also, there are people (like me), who receive medicaid or medicare because they have illnesses that cost more money than 6 families can afford.If there begins to be free healthcare for everyone, the quality of doctors I will have to see (and these aren't even great) will drop tremendously.

Then, what of my treatments?

Some people aren't hoping for health care because it's free...and there people that can't afford insurance like you can, and we are saying "NO". We do not want this socialized health care crap.

The government "helps" too much as it is.

Fck.. I was going to post a picture of a parasite.. all too disgusting though.

http://www.fishingfury.com/ff-content/jpn-parasite5.jpg

That work?

angelatc
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM

No, they lived here with no insurance.

What is stupid is that socialized medicine is just another way of rationing. Right now we ration based on who can afford to pay ( and then some, because I don't know anybody who can't get actually health care when they need it) but once the Feds get involved it will be rationed based on who the government decides deserves a shot at treatment.

rancher89
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Big topic of conversation in my family's homes. My sister lives in Montreal now and everyone there tells her she is better off going back to the USA for healthcare. She is in denial still. My father believe that Obama will save us all (so does my sister) by crafting a socialized health care system that takes the best from everyone else's attempts and discarding all of the obvious mistakes.....

You can imagine how much fun this conversation is, especially when the Bro in Law pipes in about how nasty Republicans are.. (palm to face)

Anyway, since we got dropped by Administaff, where our monthly premiums were around $250 a month each with a 3K deductable and a HSA, we would have gone to over $800 a month for me and over $500 a month for my husband. We chose to keep the COBRA for the full 18 months and see what happens then (then being 4 months from now.) Crap, if we have to pay that much we'll go without insurance and pay what we can when we can.

It really stinks. If you don't have insurance, you don't get the "discounted" rates on your bills. So you pay the big premium and get the "discounted" rates on your visits and procedures....or you pay what they charge you and pay nothing to the insurance company. The second plan is sounding better and better.

Socialized medicine will be like everyother government program, poorly run, over budget, people falling through the cracks, and treatment options pared down and limited by your age and health. Plus, you'll wait for months to get treatment. How many women out there (men too) will die of cancer of the breast (or prostrate) that wouldn't have otherwise???? AAARRRRGGGHHHH

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I met a woman once who was from England, or Canada or something. She said her father had just died because he was over 60 and on a socialized medicine plan, he was told he was too old to waste treatment money on.

angelatc
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I met a woman once who was from England, or Canada or something. She said her father had just died because he was over 60 and on a socialized medicine plan, he was told he was too old to waste treatment money on.
There was a ruckus in Ireland just a few weeks ago, when their government decided to severly cut services to people over the age of 72.

APparently many of them weren't quite dead yet, and they marched on the capitol. The change was repealed, but their President was pretty whiny about it.

It is horrible. They paid into the system all their lives, and now that they're getting to the point where they need to use it they're told "Sorry!"

Original_Intent
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes, and fat people would be told they are too fat too live. Too big of a crabon footprint I s'pose.

angelatc
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
If you don't have insurance, you don't get the "discounted" rates on your bills.

That's not entirely true. A woman I know in Illinois made the conscious decision to drop her family's health care after doing quite a bit of research. She found that many of the doctors they used would charge less for customers who were paying cash, so much that one of the doctors' fees ended up being less out of pocket for her than when she had coverage.

ANd like asimplegirl said, hospitals always have plans available for people that do not have insurance. They discount those big numbers if you just ask.

asimplegirl
01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
good exampl eof what I and angelatc are talking about:

i was in the hospital for surgery once, then, was hospitalized for over a week.

HUGE BILL.

Called the hospital, they sent me a charity form. The bill went from over 30,000 to just over 4,000 dollars. Can be paid in any amount I can afford monthly.

This was without insurance. Just charity from the hospital.

Also, I have been going to a charity hospital my entire life, I was actually born in one. All my life while going there, I saw great doctors and never had a bill. Sure, the wait is longer in the ER, and you had to wait with some unsavory characters, but with an appointment, you got in and out fast, and they gave your prescriptions, too, sometimes.

jack555
01-12-2009, 11:43 PM
There was a ruckus in Ireland just a few weeks ago, when their government decided to severly cut services to people over the age of 72.

APparently many of them weren't quite dead yet, and they marched on the capitol. The change was repealed, but their President was pretty whiny about it.

It is horrible. They paid into the system all their lives, and now that they're getting to the point where they need to use it they're told "Sorry!"

link?

Soca Taliban
01-13-2009, 07:36 AM

I need to pay over $800 - $1500 a month for health care for my family and that is a huge nut, and that is not even full coverage.See thats the problem. If you can't afford to have a big family, then don't. You CHOSE to have a family of 5 and now want to leech off of others who chose to be more responsible. :mad:

brandon
01-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Hate to break it to you buddy, but nothing is free. Because you are not poor, If our government socialized healthcare you would actually pay more than you do now. You would be paying for your own family plus putting some money towards poor people's healthcare. Not to mention the basic price of your own healthcare will go up in the absence of competition.

heavenlyboy34
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Hate to break it to you buddy, but nothing is free. Because you are not poor, If our government socialized healthcare you would actually pay more than you do now. You would be paying for your own family plus putting some money towards poor people's healthcare. Not to mention the basic price of your own healthcare will go up in the absence of competition.

Every time I try to explain this to people they always give me some variant of "it's not practical" or "no person could possibly pay for this stuff on a fixed or low income". :( I always lose my patience with such people and just give up. :p

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-13-2009, 08:53 AM
nt

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Yes, and fat people would be told they are too fat too live. Too big of a carbon footprint I s'pose.

Say hello to the 21st century's politically correct version of Eugenics. Wanna bet they start euthanizing 'marginal' people like the mentally retarded and severely handicapped first? You know, because they are a 'drain' on the system? I wanna fucking vomit when I think of whats going to happen.

ronpaulhawaii
01-13-2009, 08:59 AM
It. Just. Does. Not. Work!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=175098

lucius
01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Say hello to the 21st century's politically correct version of Eugenics. Wanna bet they start euthanizing 'marginal' people like the mentally retarded and severely handicapped first? You know, because they are a 'drain' on the system? I wanna fucking vomit when I think of whats going to happen.

agree--like watching a slow trainwreck...

Firegirl
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
See thats the problem. If you can't afford to have a big family, then don't. You CHOSE to have a family of 5 and now want to leech off of others who chose to be more responsible. :mad:

I have to say I partially agree here. I'm a few months away from 30 and still don't have children. Everyone I know from close friends to people at work have kids. Everyone seems to think that they are supposed to pop out kid after kid, even if they can't afford to feed them. Why? I've always told myself that I wouldn't have kids until I can afford them. Birth control does work if used correctly and it's a lot cheaper than trying to afford healthcare for 5 kids.

I get fed up when people use children to get pity and money. If you couldn't afford 5 kids, then you shouldn't have 5 kids. Why do I have to pay, when I am responsible and wait, when everyone else can't keep their legs closed?