PDA

View Full Version : Mouthwash linked to cancer

smartguy911
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Leading independent experts have issued this strong warning after investigating latest scientific evidence linking alcohol-containing mouthwashes to the deadly disease.

The ethanol in mouthwash is thought to allow cancer-causing substances to permeate the lining of the mouth more easily and cause harm.

Acetaldehyde, a toxic by-product of alcohol that may accumulate in the oral cavity when swished around the mouth, is also believed to be carcinogenic.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24896583-5001021,00.html

RickyJ
01-11-2009, 05:38 PM
WTH?

I bet the ADA paid for this study because more people using mouthwash has led to fewer visits to the dentist. I will keep using mouthwash. My mouth doesn't feel clean without doing it since I started.

Oral cancer is a gruelling and mutilating disease that afflicts more than 800 Australians each year and kills half of them within five years of being diagnosed.

800? 800 out of millions.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. There is probably less of a chance of getting mouth cancer from mouthwash than getting brain cancer from using cell phones. I don't see anyone calling for a ban on cell phones.

yongrel
01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
There are better reasons not to use mouthwash that contains alcohol.

Mainly, alcohol is an astringent, meaning that it will dry out your mouth. Since saliva is a natural antiseptic, a dry mouth means that bad-breath causing bacteria survive longer and stronger. A dry mouth = bad breath.

I use alcohol-free mouthwash, which is far more effective. If it's safer too, yay.

RSLudlum
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I wonder if the mouthwash I use, Biotene, falls in this category?

Conservative Christian
01-24-2009, 03:34 AM
WTH?

I bet the ADA paid for this study because more people using mouthwash has led to fewer visits to the dentist. I will keep using mouthwash. My mouth doesn't feel clean without doing it since I started.

800? 800 out of millions.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. There is probably less of a chance of getting mouth cancer from mouthwash than getting brain cancer from using cell phones. I don't see anyone calling for a ban on cell phones.

I agree.

I'll keep using my Listerine. My dentist says my check-ups are MUCH better since I started using it on a daily basis.

Only about 800 cases among MILLIONS of Australians is meaningless. Some of them could've had genetic predispositions to oral cancer, or something in their water supply and/or food could be responsible.

Some of the cases were very likely caused by smoking (cigarettes, cigars, pipes), as well as chewing tobacco and dipping snuff.

Conservative Christian
01-24-2009, 03:37 AM
There are better reasons not to use mouthwash that contains alcohol.

Mainly, alcohol is an astringent, meaning that it will dry out your mouth. Since saliva is a natural antiseptic, a dry mouth means that bad-breath causing bacteria survive longer and stronger. A dry mouth = bad breath.

I use alcohol-free mouthwash, which is far more effective. If it's safer too, yay.

There's not enough alcohol in Listerine to dry your mouth out. Plus it has other ingredients that actually stimulate salivation.

My mouth is NEVER dry after using Listerine.

Kotin
01-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I use natural mouthwash with baking soda in it.

I love it.

Ninja Homer
01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I use a little hydrogen peroxide every few days. It's instadeath for any bacteria, and it also dissolves plaque.

forsmant
01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Cancer linked to human condition. Life is temporary, live it to the fullest!