PDA

View Full Version : GOP: What can you tell me about the Republican Liberty Caucus (RLC)?

Matt Collins
01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Now that it appears I am an officer within my local GOP, I would like to know more about the Republican Liberty Caucus (RLC).

What can you tell me about this organization?

torchbearer
01-11-2009, 03:16 PM
in this state, they have less power than the LALP, in fact, i don't think they have done much here.
I'm a member, but have never seen where they've had any meeting or anything.

I think in texas, Dondero is a member... if that tells you anything.

Matt Collins
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I think in texas, Dondero is a member... if that tells you anything.No it doesn't.... who is that?

torchbearer
01-11-2009, 03:20 PM
No it doesn't.... who is that?

http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2007/05/ron-paul-challenger-eric-dondero-picks.html

any questions?

raystone
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Still has potential, but last year their annual conference was canceled due to lack of participation

Like most political groups, works best at local and state levels. Involvement at state level varies widely across the county from very active chartered states to non chartered states with little or no activity.

gls
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Still has potential, but last year their annual conference was canceled due to lack of participation

That's unfortunate. I remember Gary Johnson was one of the scheduled speakers. IIRC it was only a few weeks after the Rally for the Republic, so that event may have drained a good amount of resources from otherwise likely attendees.

I believe Dondero was one of the founding members but is no longer with the organization. He's too busy with his "Pro-Defense" (intervention) Libertarian group. :rolleyes:

Ron Paul is on the Board of Advisors so that says something. It appears to be largely focused on getting pro-liberty people elected to partisan positions at the local and county level. It really is important and essential work if this country is ever going to get back on track.

Matt Collins
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Apparently in my state it is dormant but is about to be revived. I have been potentially offered a leadership position. That might be a good thing now that I am also in a leadership position and have voting privileges on my local GOP exec committee.

pennycat
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Matt, email me about this.

rancher89
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I feel good about being a member of the RLC here in NC. I'm actually on the exec committee. It's not that we get a lot done, but we have good intentions and it is a group that is familiar with the workings of the local party. I agree that the RLC does more good locally than nationally, although I have talked with the national level folks right before the RNC in MN. There are pockets of active RLC groups throughout the state (and I imagine that is the norm across the country.) I get the impression that the NC GOP doesn't take the NC RLC very seriously, but we are (most of us anyway) active in our counties and districts, and some at the state level.

I do know that Florida has some issues re: the use of Republican in the name of the RLC, I don't know how that's turned out, maybe someone from FL can catch us up on how that's going.

There were fewer RLC members than RP people at our State convention, but I think that the membership is up some for the NC RLC now--I think a lot of people heard of the RLC for the first time at the convention.