PDA

View Full Version : Question about his policies...

EvanVolm
09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
-deleted-

risiusj
09-11-2007, 11:16 PM
The decision goes to the states.
The Constitution doesn't say that the federal government can rule on those issues.
Personally, he is against abortion and gay marriage.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
The decision goes to the states.
The Constitution doesn't say that the federal government can rule on those issues.
Personally, he is against abortion and gay marriage.

No, he is not personally against gay marriage. Ever listen to his google interview? He wants to leave it up to the states and (for your info) voted AGAINST a federal defining of marriage between a man and a woman.

Agree with him or not... state's rights all the way

specsaregood
09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Where does Dr. Paul stand on abortion and gay marriage? I've read conflicting reports on this subject with him.

1. Abortion -- should not be a federal issue. Should be up to the states, so that people are better able to construct the type of laws they wish to live by.

2. Gay Marriage -- He does not believe that the government should be involved in marriage at all. It is a private or religious institution. But, for now he would leave it to be decided by the states, just like abortion.

See, they key is to leave the difficult issues at the local/state level. People in different states have different beliefs and cultures, setting these types of laws at the federal level, leaves NOBODY happy.

EvanVolm
09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
-deleted-

mdh
09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Personally he is against abortion and favors overturning Roe v Wade; allowing states to legislate it or not as they please.

I don't believe he is personally opposed to gay marriage, and I haven't heard anything to that effect. I have heard him say that marriage is a private and sometimes a religious affair, and that the government has no place butting in on it.

LibertyEagle
09-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Where does Dr. Paul stand on abortion and gay marriage? I've read conflicting reports on this subject with him.

Have you watched his interview at Google headquarters, Evan?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Personally he is against abortion and favors overturning Roe v Wade; allowing states to legislate it or not as they please.

I don't believe he is personally opposed to gay marriage, and I haven't heard anything to that effect. I have heard him say that marriage is a private and sometimes a religious affair, and that the government has no place butting in on it.

I like how everyone's views becomes Ron Paul's views as well lol.. very interesting

He seems to hold everyone's views

Ron Paul Fan
09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
No, he is not personally against gay marriage. Ever listen to his google interview? He wants to leave it up to the states and (for your info) voted AGAINST a federal defining of marriage between a man and a woman.

Yes, but he does support the DoMA which does define marriage between a man and a woman on the federal level. He voted AGAINST the amendment to the constitution to ban gay marriage because the states should do that, not the federal government. He is personally against gay marriage in that he accepts the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman, but he wouldn't regulate it.

EvanVolm
09-11-2007, 11:22 PM
-deleted-

JosephTheLibertarian
09-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes, but he does support the DoMA which does define marriage between a man and a woman on the federal level. He voted AGAINST the amendment to the constitution to ban gay marriage because the states should do that, not the federal government. He is personally against gay marriage in that he accepts the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman, but he wouldn't regulate it.

Personal beliefs don't matter. He hates drugs, yet NORML gives him like 90-100% record.

risiusj
09-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. I was thinking about how he has said that the breakdown of the American family is a major problem. He said that children are best raised in a mother-father situation, or something along those lines.

EvanVolm
09-11-2007, 11:28 PM
-deleted-

JosephTheLibertarian
09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
So he's in favor of leaving it up to the states(in a nutshell)? Good, that's what I wanted to hear.

yup. ya heard right

Ron Paul Fan
09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Personal beliefs don't matter. He hates drugs, yet NORML gives him like 90-100% record.

I didn't say they did matter and they shouldn't matter. I don't really care where the candidates personally stand on these issues. The problem is when they want to enforce their ideas on the whole country. Dr. Paul has a lot of personal social conservative views and I'm sure a lot of the younger people on this forum have liberal views on social issues, but still support him. The freedom message brings us together, it doesn't divide us.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I didn't say they did matter and they shouldn't matter. I don't really care where the candidates personally stand on these issues. The problem is when they want to enforce their ideas on the whole country. Dr. Paul has a lot of personal social conservative views and I'm sure a lot of the younger people on this forum have liberal views on social issues, but still support him. The freedom message brings us together, it doesn't divide us.

most libertarians hate drugs, yet they fight against anti-drug legislation. most libertarians hate prostitution, yet they rally against anti-prostitution laws.

trispear
09-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I think on Marriage he said the Government should stay totally out of it because the Government should have no business in the free associations of people - however people define it. That also means he won't do anything on a federal level and will block (veto) attempts to do so on either side -- but, per the Constitution and the tenth amendment, cannot ban the states from going into that because it is up to the citizens of those states to make their will be heard.

Abortion - states issues. Opposes spending federal money on abortions.

PennCustom4RP
09-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Not to be a dick to any newcomer of this forum, but there is a 'search' button at the top of this page. There are many many threads.
This topic has been discussed ad nauseam

lucius
09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
EvanVolm, I support Dr. Paul because of his intent to restore our constitutional republic, for me that transcends all other issues. Overall, I would say that the good doctor will get government out of our lives, but I think you have the right idea in discovering his positions from his own speeches/works. Welcome and hope you stick around. His google speech might help you out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4025303543564443304&q=ron+paul+at+google&total=712&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0