PDA

View Full Version : Obama: "Everybody . . . is going to have to sacrifice something"

Rael
01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.
Ayn Rand

Obama: "Everybody . . . is going to have to sacrifice something"

President-elect Barack Obama said Americans will have to sacrifice to lift the nation from recession, and acknowledged that some of his campaign promises may not happen, given the dire economic situation.

In a wide-ranging interview on ABC's "This Week" that aired Sunday, Mr. Obama continued to sell his proposed economic stimulus package as "bold," and insisted Congress must pass the plan by mid-February.

"This Week" host George Stephanopoulos asked Mr. Obama if he is seeking "some kind of a grand bargain" that includes tax reform, health care reform and entitlement reform. Mr. Obama agreed when Mr. Stephanopoulos asked if he wanted Americans to know that "everybody in the country is going to have to sacrifice something, accept change for the greater good."

"Everybody is going to have to give. Everybody is going to have to have some skin in the game," Mr. Obama said during the interview, taped Saturday in Washington.

Mr. Stephanopoulos, who worked in the Clinton White House, asked which campaign promises Mr. Obama will be forced to cut because of the grim economic situation.

Mr. Obama used a form of the word "tough" three times, then conceded: "I want to be realistic here -- not everything that we talked about during the campaign are we going to be able to do on the pace that we had hoped."

[In other words, I am full of shit]

Mr. Obama lauded House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for saying recently she would keep Congress in session over the Presidents Day break if the package is not complete by then.

"Congress exercises all sorts of prerogatives. They've got all sorts of procedures. Everybody wants to be heard," he said. "I'm respectful of that. . . . [O]ne of the things that we're trying to set a tone of is that, you know, Congress is a co-equal branch of government. We're not trying to jam anything down people's throats.'

He urged patience, saying, "I think we can fix it, but it's going to take some time. It's not going to happen overnight."

The president-elect said another campaign promise to shut down the federal detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been more difficult than he expected, and said it is a challenge to close the facility as promised within the first 100 days of his administration.

torchbearer
01-11-2009, 12:37 PM
when polititians use the word "sacrifice" in the context of... everyone needs to sacrifice...
they mean they are about to purposefully hurt you for your "own good"

angelatc
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I wonder what the people who do not pay taxes are going to sacrifice. I wonder what the people who live off entitlements are going to sacrifice.

I wonder what the bankers are going to sacrifice.

Nope. It will be the workers.

heavenlyboy34
01-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I wonder what the people who do not pay taxes are going to sacrifice. I wonder what the people who live off entitlements are going to sacrifice.

They just sacrifice the old, easy standard of living and easy credit. :p

liberteebell
01-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Just wow.

I think it's about time to ramp up some protests. This is too much! They are engineering the complete destruction of the US of A!

Danke
01-11-2009, 01:01 PM
In keeping with the spirit of the times and Obama's vision, I think we here at RPFs should also sacrifice something.

I nominate Kludge.

torchbearer
01-11-2009, 01:05 PM
In keeping with the spirit of the times and Obama's vision, I think we here at RPFs should also sacrifice something.

I nominate Kludge.

Great idea, and we can appease the yellowstone volcano, two birds, one stone.
Though the volcano may spit him out.

HOLLYWOOD
01-11-2009, 01:12 PM
EXTRAORDINARY and THAT...

How any times does one have to here these words?

Gesus, anytime he talks about anyone he and his minions have selected to his Regime... it's always... They are EXTRAORDINARY

Anytime Big O is asked a question... it's a dozen "THATs" in the response. What Trial Lawyer Jargon BS!

NO CHANGE same CRAP just the other "PARTY"

I'm so glad he hasn't Socialized, Collectivized the country for the Wealth / Greed that Colluded and Conspired WITH government to MONETIZE and INFLATE the country for corporate Profits and Government Taxes. When it all collapsed, the People are held hostage to pay for it all.

What a Crock of Shyt!

This is Chromed Communism! Nice and Shiney

IPSecure
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Obama: "Everybody . . . is going to have to sacrifice something"

Would I be out of line if I suggest we sacrifice the government?

hadenough
01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
s send
a all
c cash
r right
i in
f for
i immediate
c confiscation
e everybody

Uriel999
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM

I nominate Kludge.

Great idea, and we can appease the yellowstone volcano, two birds, one stone.
Though the volcano may spit him out.

Lmao!

Sounds great to me. Lets start with the IRS. Then the DEA, I've got a personal vendetta against them. Something about Tyrannical agencies. Oh don't forget the FBI, CIA, DHS.

Matt Collins
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Great idea, and we can appease the yellowstone volcano, two birds, one stone.Are you trying to suggest he's a virgin :rolleyes:;):p

torchbearer
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Are you trying to suggest he's a virgin :rolleyes:;):p

Has he ever been to jail?

Matt Collins
01-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Here is a video of it:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6617979

liberteebell
01-11-2009, 01:30 PM

+2009 Best idea I've heard yet! :cool:

amonasro
01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
What, exactly, does Obama want us to sacrifice? Money? Liberties? A fatted calf to his honor? The government isn't going to get much help from the people this time. They created this mess, they can clean it up. I'll continue to pay taxes but I sure as hell won't sacrifice anything else. Government is here to serve us, not the other way around.

RickyJ
01-11-2009, 01:44 PM

There are plenty of people who work and don't pay taxes. They will be sacrificing too however due to the massive inflation the record spending Obama is planning will cause. Out of principle I am not going to pay taxes to a government that gives money to people that kill innocent people. So the IRS will never receive another dime form me until the USA changes its policy of aiding nations committing genocide. Yes, maybe I will go to jail, but that would be better than going to hell.

RickyJ
01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I'll continue to pay taxes but I sure as hell won't sacrifice anything else.

That would be a mistake. They do not deserve our money.

angelatc
01-11-2009, 01:45 PM

I nominate Kludge.

I say we sacrifice a moderator or 5.

Uriel999
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I say we sacrifice a moderator or 5.

Mods, I'll make you a deal, bring us back bunchies who was democratically elected anyways and I'll convince the bunchie resistance to protect you from the mob. :p