PDA

View Full Version : Bush and Karl Rove have Reading Contests.. Bush Reads a lot of Books!!

dannno
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
http://independent.com/news/2009/jan/08/hey-bush-read/

Hey Bush, Read This

Thursday, January 8, 2009
By Barney Brantingham

BUSH THE READER? I love to read and never dreamed that George W. Bush would whip me in that department. Even his adviser and pal Karl Rove is aware of the cruel rap that the president “would rather burn a book than read one.”

But the age of miracles isn’t past because Rove claims Bush read 95 books in 2006, many of them in the heavy-duty category. That, folks, is nearly eight a month, including biographies of Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Carnegie, Mark Twain, King Leopold, William Jennings Bryan, Huey Long, Lyndon Johnson, and Genghis Khan.

I know college graduates who don’t even know who half these people are, much less want to read about them when the Lakers are on TV. The question is what, if anything, has Bush, who Rove calls “the leader of the free world,” learned from all this eyestrain? Rove claims the president reads out of intellectual curiosity, but in the three years of the Rove-Bush reading contest 2006-’08 (Rove won all three years), Bush apparently has not been curious enough about how critics view his Iraq War strategy to pick up a book by one of them.

Richard Cohen, writing in the Washington Post, says Bush’s book list supports the view that the president is “a captive of fixed ideas,” seeking vindication on every page, and “intellectually insulated.”

What caught my eye is Rove’s claim in the Wall Street Journal that among the books Bush read in 2008 is the late David Halberstam’s The Coldest Winter, a masterful 719-page account of another highly controversial and divisive war, the Korean conflict.

It happens that I just finished the book, a demanding task that’s taken me weeks (I read several books at a time), a few pages at bedtime before my eyes complain and I drift off to sleep, my brain spinning with not only the horrors of that brutal misadventure, but the series of grave miscalculations on the part of the U.S., North Korea, China, and Russia that led to a geographical status quo but the death of 54,246 Americans.

It’s hard to imagine Bush sticking with the book to the end, but if so, he must have found it almost impossible not to compare the Korean War with the president’s own horrendous miscalculations and erroneous assumptions in invading Iraq. In Korea in 1950, we were fighting Communism; to try to understand Bush’s real reasons for going into Iraq, I guess we’ll have to wait for his memoirs.

As much as I’m willing to concede that George Bush actually reads books apart from private-eye novels, it is hard for me to visualize him slogging through such a painful recitation of the near-criminally botched leadership by the U.S. military commander in Asia, General Douglas MacArthur, who apparently lusted for all-out war with China in those Cold War days of the 1950s, using nuclear weapons if necessary.

Korea was split north and south after World War II. North Korean leader Kim Il-sung had been begging his communist mates Mao Zedong of China and Russia’s Joseph Stalin for permission and military support to invade South Korea. They finally okayed the move, reluctantly accepting Kim’s assurance that the U.S. wouldn’t get involved. A tragic mistake.

President Harry Truman, under fire from the Democrats for supposedly “losing China” to Mao’s communists, saw it not as unification but an invasion of a “free” nation, part of Communism’s world-wide aggression. MacArthur’s miscalculations involved ignoring clear advance signs of North Korea’s impending invasion, his belief that unprepared U.S. troops could easily handle the invading army, and that Chinese troops wouldn’t later come swooping down. MacArthur—arrogant, incompetent, and out of control—was finally fired by Truman after the president could no longer tolerate the general’s flagrant insubordination.

In 2008, Bush’s reading tally dwindled to 40, down from 95 in 2006 and 51 in 2007, according to Rove. His 2008 book bag however, was heavy into subject A: war. Readings included not only Halberstam’s Korean tome, but Rick Atkinson’s The Day of Battle, Hugh Thomas’s The Spanish Civil War, Stephen W. Sears’s Gettysburg, the memoirs of Civil War general then U.S. president Ulysses S. Grant, and James M. McPherson’s Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief.

I truly envy Bush for having read these books and wonder how he found the time to do more than skim them. It may surprise those who find Bush a know-nothing to learn from Rove: “In the 35 years I’ve known George W. Bush, he’s always had a book nearby. He plays up being a good ol’ boy from Midland, Texas, but he was a history major at Yale and graduated from Harvard Business School. You don’t make it through either unless you are a reader. He reads instead of watching TV. He reads on Air Force One and to relax and because he’s curious.”

History will surely not be kind to President Bush. And when it writes against his name, I hope that for once he reads every painful word.

Uriel999
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
damn, maybe if we had just sent him some libertarian themed books....nah, seems like wishful thinking

acptulsa
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, so it is said. But, you know, my experience in life is that people who read that much are pretty much universally adept at using the language themselves. And that does make me wonder how much truth there is to this rumor.

cheapseats
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/litwit/artfarewellafp.gi.jpg

Karl Rove, The Architect of the Clusterfuck that has mounted under the Bush Administration, dropped out of college -- so enamored was he upon meeting George Bush. He's been a Bush Groupie ever since. Me, I think they have been lovers.

Whatever. A COLLEGE DROP-OUT IS GEORGE BUSH'S AND THEREFORE OUR ARCHITECT OF PUBLIC POLICY AND WORLD DOMINATION.

Was it Karl Rove's father or step-father who abruptly announced that he was Gay?

Karl Rove, once ARRIVED on the Texas Money scene, married a Texas Socialite -- by the name of VALERIE -- who divorced him in less than one year.

The following year, Karl Rove's mother committed suicide.

It's for true -- I read it on the internets before Power Players started WIPING THE INTERNET CLEAN of Compromising Material. Such as the photos of Hillary Clinton (publicly humiliated by her husband/the American President) COVERING HER INFERIOR HEAD BEFORE MIDDLE EASTERN WHACKOS.

All the Nut Cases in the Middle East who can't even agree on whether to talk about not agreeing -- most of whom are unmitigated chauvinists? They are SO not going to take inspiration or direction from one-name-like-a-star Hillary.

Uriel999
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, so it is said. But, you know, my experience in life is that people who read that much are pretty much universally adept at using the language themselves. And that does make me wonder how much truth there is to this rumor.

Look at Bushes older speeches on youtube. The man used to debate fiercely and did so speaking of many the principles we believe in here. He is actually very intelligent, I think he just plays dumb. That could be a lesson he learned from the south. Most people tend to think of southerners as stupid because we tend to talk a little slower, that can work to your advantage. When people underestimate you.

Then again, I have no idea what Bush has been thinking for the past 8 years...Maybe thats the problem he was spending all his time reading and letting Cheney run the country.

dannno
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
then again, i have no idea what bush has been thinking for the past 8 years...maybe thats the problem he was spending all his time reading and letting cheney run the country.

ftw

heavenlyboy34
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
I've heard the story in the OP before, but I find it questionable considering how things have played out the last 8 years.

Acala
01-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Exactly my thought. I have met smart people who were uneducated, illiterate, and not very articulate. But I have never met a smart person who also had a University education and was an avid reader that was so painfully inarticulate that his oral communication resembled a special needs fourth grader.

Besides, I think the sheer volume recited here is simply not possible when taken in the context of a job that involves non-stop meetings all day, every day, and requires a huge volume of reading of reports. Unless he realy did just abdicate the job to others.

I think this is just some pathetic attempt by Rove to butter up his boss' legacy with a blatant fabrication.

dannno
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I think this is just some pathetic attempt by Rove to butter up his boss' legacy with a blatant fabrication.

Bush' reading list was an inside job?

I'd believe it.

Acala
01-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Bush' reading list was an inside job?

I'd believe it.

I believe that when you live so many years steeped in the culture of lies that is the American political world, you no longer even discriminate between what is true and what is false. You only discriminate between "plausible things to say that advance the agenda" and everything else. It must be a truly horrible life.

Dieseler
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
To be the King or the Kings maker and advisors?
Hmm.
To be the Actor or the Actors Son?
The man deserves an academy award if you think he is what he pretends to be.

cheapseats
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
To be the King or the Kings maker and advisors?
Hmm.
To be the Actor or the Actors Son?
The man deserves an academy award if you think he is what he pretends to be.

Appearance versus Reality is a chief literary theme. ;)