PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here get a private student loan in the last month??

schiffstudent
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm trying to find out if anyone here has been approved for a private student loan in the last few months and if so from what bank? I keep getting disapproval after disapproval and I have pretty good credit.

thanks

heavenlyboy34
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Thankfully, no! :D Good luck to you, dear student. What do you hope to study? I suggest you start at a local junior/community college.

dannno
01-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm trying to find out if anyone here has been approved for a private student loan in the last few months and if so from what bank? I keep getting disapproval after disapproval and I have pretty good credit.

thanks

That may or may not be happening to me depending on the truthfulness of the Financial Aid office at my school. According to them, everything is fine on my end, but their employees can't get their shit together and put all my paperwork through.

schiffstudent
01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Thankfully, no! :D Good luck to you, dear student. What do you hope to study? I suggest you start at a local junior/community college.

Actually I'm a 4th year Chinese language student at Indiana University. Why would you assume that I start at community college?

dannno
01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm a grad student with one class left.

schiffstudent
01-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm a grad student with one class left.

Just 3 credits? That's cool, what are you studying?

dannno
01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Just 3 credits? That's cool, what are you studying?

Systems Management, emphasis in Information Systems, which is sorta like a tech version of an MBA.. and I have an undergrad in Business/Economics

heavenlyboy34
01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually I'm a 4th year Chinese language student at Indiana University. Why would you assume that I start at community college?

Because credit hours are MUCH cheaper at a community college (at least they are in AZ):D

christagious
01-09-2009, 11:17 AM

thanks

If you don't mind some extremely high interest rates, you might have a shot at the Sallie Mae Tuition Answer loan. I've gotten a couple from them having decent credit, they'll basically accept anybody; but things have gotten so bad I can't even get approved from them anymore, but my credit has taken a nosedive the past year due to financial hardship. You might have better luck but with the credit crunch, maybe not.

silverlinkx2
01-13-2009, 08:16 AM

thanks

Sallie Mae approved me for a 6k private loan but the margin on it is 10% :eek:

I'm going to the financial aid department to see if I can get anything else. That margin is INSANE. That means it could conceivably go up to like 22% overall interest!

Private loans are a scam! My god! I wish I had never gone to school :(

tmosley
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Sallie Mae approved me for a 6k private loan but the margin on it is 10% :eek:

I'm going to the financial aid department to see if I can get anything else. That margin is INSANE. That means it could conceivably go up to like 22% overall interest!

Private loans are a scam! My god! I wish I had never gone to school :(

Don't worry, comrade. Obama will be merciful on you and pay your student loans. All you have to do is spend the rest of your life in the student loan gulag digging and filling in ditches all day.

Fox McCloud
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
anyone have statistics on how many years it take the average college grad to pay off his student loan, public or private? I kinda need the information for someone.

Barackistan
01-29-2009, 03:46 AM
^ 20 years.

Most student debt from universities and grad schools go up to $250,000-$300,000! I have a friend who recently graduated from University of Illinois, and paid $40,000/yr (adjusted for interest ranging from 5-8%) for the last 5 years. He estimated that 60% of the tuition payments were in loans, and he plans to go to graduate school (law students..*scoffs*), the rest was by grants or out of pocket. My buddy was denied financial aid because his household net income is over $250,000; as if his parents don't have to pay bills themselves.

The university systems are flawed. All you're doing is paying for the experience. I have friends now who have recently graduated with Bachelor's degrees in Accounting, Finance, Communications.. etc. and they're still trying to pound the pavement.

You're better off going to a trade school, but if you study hard sciences or medical practices like chemical engineering, nursing, nutrition, etc. You'll on-the-job in no time. People will always get sick, and people will always need innovative treatments. Ahh.. innovation: exactly what the Democraps fight against.