PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from Fenway

Sematary
09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
First, as disappointing as it is, I have to say that Fenway was a bust. I think there are several reasons for this but it's not a complete loss as we learned alot and hopefully future attempts at baseball games will learn from our experience.

First (and foremost) there were supposed to be about 10 of us there (with signs).

Three of us showed up and there were no signs. The reason this was important is because, unlike a football game (or a large concert) there are no tailgaters - at least at Fenway (and probably most inner city baseball stadiums). Since people were more interested in getting to where they were going than us and there were literally HUNDREDS of people handing out various types of literature, we had little chance right from the beginning. The Boston meetup didn't show, except for one member and she wasn't really all that well prepared. Essentially, we needed a large group and signs to attract attention, and we didn't have that.

Lesson 1: The crowds are mobile and you need to make ALOT OF NOISE to get noticed. That is the ESSENTIAL lesson of a baseball game. Next time, we will be sure to have people who are actually interested in doing something and we will carry signs.

Lesson 2: The weather caused us some delays and we got there only an hour before the game. I think that made it more difficult as people were in more of a rush. I REALLY wanted to be there for 4:30 or 5:00 at the latest but it didn't happen. If you do an event like this, be sure to show up at least 3 hours early.

This event Caused Bob and I quite a bit of money in parking, tolls, etc... and virtually nothing got accomplished. We were able to pass out some literature but not nearly enough to justify the time and money spent.

Please take our experience and make your event better.

McDermit
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Good to know. This will likely apply at Madison Square Garden. We just have to figure out what to do with the signs when the show starts. (Can't take them inside.. and it'll be too far to return them to a car/hotel)

I've never campaigned at a concert/game that I didn't want to watch.. so it's never been a complete bust for me. But we definitely accomplish a LOT more when we have a good turnout.

Sematary
09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Good to know. This will likely apply at Madison Square Garden. We just have to figure out what to do with the signs when the show starts. (Can't take them inside.. and it'll be too far to return them to a car/hotel)

I've never campaigned at a concert/game that I didn't want to watch.. so it's never been a complete bust for me. But we definitely accomplish a LOT more when we have a good turnout.

If you get a bunch of people, you could each hold a letter and sit together to make your message.

McDermit
09-11-2007, 08:50 PM
If you get a bunch of people, you could each hold a letter and sit together to make your message.

Yeah, I saw a youtube of some people doing that at a game. We don't have enough people at this point though.