PDA

View Full Version : New site design, need your input!

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Spirit of '76 has given we website some major changes and I wanted some honest criticism from you guys.
http://www.joinsanders.com

ctb619
09-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't like the colors (use red, white and blue), and choose another picture (looks too ominous).

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't like the colors (use red, white and blue), and choose another picture (looks too ominous).

We will consider the color change, the purple and gold are regional colors for LSU. When people see purple and gold in louisiana, they think pride.

I had a bunch of photo stashed somewhere that I need to scan so the site can have more visuals. I do like 'ominous' personally. Like when I tell someone, "If we don't do something about this out-of-control spending in congress, our country will end up bankrupt and we won't even be able to afford a military after such a financial collapse. (I always say this with the same calm ominous look you see on the front page of the website.)
I agree, I need a better photo.

What do you think of the issues page?

ctb619
09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
We will consider the color change, the purple and gold are regional colors for LSU. When people see purple and gold in louisiana, they think pride.

I had a bunch of photo stashed somewhere that I need to scan so the site can have more visuals. I do like 'ominous' personally. Like when I tell someone, "If we don't do something about this out-of-control spending in congress, our country will end up bankrupt and we won't even be able to afford a military after such a financial collapse. (I always say this with the same calm ominous look you see on the front page of the website.)

Fair enough. I never even considered the LSU connection, I am a University of Southern California fan.

I like the debt clock.

The issues page was very good. I was expecting to be sent to another page when I clicked on the links, and the expandable boxes were a nice surprise.

nayjevin
09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I think it is very good, but my job is to tell you what isn't. :)

The main text is written well but it seems to me the opening of the first paragraph needs a hook -- maybe something like a Big Bold 'Our Government Is Going In The WRONG DIRECTION!' The way it is now it seems too easy to skip over the entire block of text, as it doesn't generate enough excitement over the various other clicks available to the visitor.

I say don't be afraid to scare people off by being too bold -- stick it to em! For instance:

Sanders aims to reduce the size of the Federal Government by voting against pork barrel projects and working to reform or shut down programs that do not work (!!!!!) . He says he is not willing to make promises to special interests in exchange for money or votes. "I want to go to Washington to work for all the people of the 5th Congressional District, and saying no to pork barrel projects will help everyone by reducing government spending. I think we can all agree that the more money government spends, the less you and I have in our pockets," Sanders says.

Quotes like this are very effective and should be featured prominently on the site, IMO. Seems like some people might leave before really finding out what you're about. i would develop several more and snazz em up so people are sure to at least read one of those before they click off your site.

I would put RP's pic above T. Lee Horne's.

Overall I like it alot -- and I 2nd the love for the issues page!

Spirit of '76
09-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the reviews and constructive criticism, folks. Your input is very valuable, and your suggestions are certainly being considered.

Just a note:

I just switched over the nameservers today, and it might not have propagated across the internet completely yet.

What that means is that some people, depending on their geographic location, might be getting directed to the old site.

It should be net-wide within 24 hours, so if you're getting directed to the old site, try again soon!

Thanks, and keep those reviews coming. :)

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I think it is very good, but my job is to tell you what isn't. :)

The main text is written well but it seems to me the opening of the first paragraph needs a hook -- maybe something like a Big Bold 'Our Government Is Going In The WRONG DIRECTION!' The way it is now it seems too easy to skip over the entire block of text, as it doesn't generate enough excitement over the various other clicks available to the visitor.

I say don't be afraid to scare people off by being too bold -- stick it to em! For instance:

Quotes like this are very effective and should be featured prominently on the site, IMO. Seems like some people might leave before really finding out what you're about. i would develop several more and snazz em up so people are sure to at least read one of those before they click off your site.

I would put RP's pic above T. Lee Horne's.

Overall I like it alot -- and I 2nd the love for the issues page!

Thank you for the input! I'm really pumped to be running at the same time as Ron Paul... i really feel like i'm apart of a freedom movement that is reclaiming the federal government... It will be on record that we stood against tyranny in our time!

nayjevin
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
i really feel like i'm apart of a freedom movement that is reclaiming the federal government... It will be on record that we stood against tyranny in our time!

'every day is a freedom movement'

McDermit
09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
The colors are hard on the eyes.. you can stick with the theme, maybe just use darker tones so they aren't quite so harsh?

0zzy
09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
My name is Brent.

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
My name is Brent.

I've met several Brent's on here. http://brentsforronpaul.com

Richie
09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
The colors aren't easily on the eyes at all. The color of the text is uncomfortable to read as well. It's better then your other one, though. Now we know that you haven't delivered over 4,000 babies and are a 10-term Congressman. :D

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Perhaps a different color scheme is in order... I leave the colors up to Spirit. I thought the purple and gold looked good, but a couple of ya have said nay.

Spirit of '76
09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Hmmm... The colors look great to me, but there are lots of factors that influence how different monitors display color (I'm on a Mac) and lots of factors that influence how different people perceive color, as well.

That two people have mentioned it thus far does raise a concern, so thank you. We'll look into it.

Chester Copperpot
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Spirit of '76 has given we website some major changes and I wanted some honest criticism from you guys.

I didnt like the colors either.. But if the color scheme is something reflective on Louisiana culture then keep it.. I dont like your picture there.. I think you should smile - look friendlier.. And id prefer to see it in color instead of B&W. (Just my opinion)

Everything else looks good.., except in your issues page I was wondering if perhaps your usage of "Mr. Sanders" is a bit redundant??? Just a thought..

I thought about this though since your initials are B.S.

VOTE FOR NO BS!

or some kinda play along those lines.. VOTE BS FOR NO BS..

You get the picture

Chester Copperpot
09-11-2007, 10:02 PM
The other thing in "Brent's Story" youshould boldface the type like the first type under the issues heading.. itll make it easier to read.. Ive got really good eyesight and the text looks flimsy (i dont know how else to describe it) bolder will be easier on most peoples' eyes.

Chester Copperpot
09-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Brent can we donate to your campaign if we live out of state?

AND get a myspace going and link to it... Ever think of having links to youtubes, and myspace , etc. on your site?

Chester Copperpot
09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I've met several Brent's on here. http://brentsforronpaul.com

Oh yeah.. there are some weird coincidence on this board like that.. THATS fer sure. heh

Man from La Mancha
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I like most of it but the grey text was hard to read and your picture in color and a little friendlier would be nice. I admire you for running,

Spirit of '76
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks, guys.

Everything else looks good.., except in your issues page I was wondering if perhaps your usage of "Mr. Sanders" is a bit redundant??? Just a thought..

Mike, I don't see the words "Mr. Sanders" on the issues page. :confused: You mean the "my story" page?

Brent, didn't that come from a news article on you?

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Brent can we donate to your campaign if we live out of state?

AND get a myspace going and link to it... Ever think of having links to youtubes, and myspace , etc. on your site?

Yes, you can donate from out of state, pm me if you need instructions.

Chester Copperpot
09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks, guys.

Mike, I don't see the words "Mr. Sanders" on the issues page. :confused: You mean the "my story" page?

Yeah I meant the "Brent's story" page sorry..

torchbearer
09-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks, guys.

Yeh, that came from a news story on me... It could always be changed to a more biographical format.

Spirit of '76
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Yeah, we can work on it.

I'm off for now. Good night, everyone.

torchbearer
09-12-2007, 01:40 PM
bump for more helpful pointers. http://www.joinsanders.com

Kregener
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Text is a bit hard to read against the background.

Nice work all around though!

torchbearer
09-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Text is a bit hard to read against the background.

Nice work all around though!

So darker text. that should be easy to fix. what do you think of the color scheme?

Brock Landers
09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I also had a hard time reading the front page's text, particularly on the Yellow letters. I have to TRY to read "Brent Sanders for Congress", and then I can't read "He puts the needs of Louisiana and America First" unless I highlight that text. If there's a way to have a black outline for the lettering, or a different colored background, you might be able to keep the yellow colors and still make it readable. (specifically, I DO like the yellow-on-purple at the bottom of the page....it kind of pops out at you).

Other than those small changes, I like the site. Best of luck.

TexMac
09-12-2007, 02:13 PM
You need an email splash page . See Fred or Obama's site. (RP never did this and he should have.) That way you can send emails to all your supporters announcing events or asking for donations etc.

On the main page, make the donate button more prominent, maybe the whole right end of the header. You need links to your social networking sites, and do some videos. Check this tool out (http://techpresident.com/blog/entry/7349/joe_biden_s_latest_online_video_innovation_a_searc hles_channel)- you can even add some RP video to your channel.

Make your text bigger and not that weak gray stuff. I can barely read it. See this site for why. (http://informationrain.com/2007/06/16/how-to-make-text-more-legible/)

That's all I can think of for now.:D

Kregener
09-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Using red, white and blue would be..."contrived", to me anyway.

Perhaps incorporate the Louisiana State flag colors?

http://www.50states.com/flag/image/nunst028.gif

aravoth
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Looks great, I'd modify the color scheme a bit. Maybe a combo theme of the State flag and the American flag. Also, an intro video that starts imeadiatly when accessing your website is good. You can do this by putting the autoplay=1 code in the embed link, I'm sure spirit knows how.

If you want, I can make a short video for you backing up your policies with hard facts, kinda like I do with my other videos. I'd just need some footage of you takling about your politics. Then you can embed that on your site, and pass out business card DVD's or something with the video on there explaining in clarity what all your positions are. Just an idea. If you need my help, you got it.

aravoth
09-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I dont like your picture there.. I think you should smile - look friendlier.. And id prefer to see it in color instead of B&W. (Just my opinion)

I aggree, doesn't have to be a big cheesey grin, but a semi happy face is good for public relations.

Wendi
09-12-2007, 03:16 PM
I like the layout , but the high-contrast purple and yellow is... well... gaudy. And the main body text is too light, as others have mentioned.

torchbearer
09-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, and you have given us plenty to work on!!!

Spirit of '76
09-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

We're still waiting for more local feedback from Brent's potential constituents on the purple & gold (which is a color scheme of significance to a lot of folks in Louisiania), but there are definitely steps we can take to make it more legible.

Aravoth, some vids would be great. That's something you and Brent will have to work out, though.

Patriot
09-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure why any of this is on the Ron Paul forums, but here's my advice. Use a color picture of Sanders and also get a close up head shot.

Spirit of '76
09-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure why any of this is on the Ron Paul forums...

This is the "General Politics & Other" forum.

RP4ME
09-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Glad someone liek YOU is running! Congrats to you! And THANKS!!!!

Yes - I want to see a smile....dont you hate hearing someone tell you to smile but one that is sincere and optomistic! Maybe give the site some energy, it lacks energy to me but it starts with the smile. tone down colors. Best wishes:D

LibertyEagle
09-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Yeah, but you need to be looking straight into the camera. That way, they get the perception that you are making eye contact with them. People don't trust people who will not do that.

torchbearer
09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Looks like I need to book a photo session. How about suggestions for backdrops?? Set-up shots? What type of candidate photo says 'You can trust me with the keys to your country?'

Spirit of '76
09-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Looks like I need to book a photo session. How about suggestions for backdrops?? Set-up shots? What type of candidate photo says 'You can trust me with the keys to your country?'

Photos of you with the people would be good. And a couple of portraits, maybe with notable Louisiana landmarks as backdrops.

Bossobass
09-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I have only looked briefly at the site. After more thought, I may have suggestions, FWIW.

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate your heroic efforts. Please feel free to ping me if you ever think I may be of service in any capacity.

Bosso

JoshLowry
09-12-2007, 09:00 PM
You might want to get a higher resolution image of that white bird in the top right.

Spirit of '76
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
You might want to get a higher resolution image of that white bird in the top right.

Is it pixelated, or just too small?

Anything larger protrudes beyond the bounds of the div container, which doesn't have any effect on modern web browsers, like Safari or Firefox, but will totally wreak havoc on IE, which unfortunately the majority of the people on the net are still using.

JoshLowry
09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Just a little tough to read the words, small and pixelated. ;)

No big deal though really.

Texan4Life
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
be sure to note your support for the 2nd/gun rights on your issue page... unless Louisiana turned anti gun when I wasn't looking :)

torchbearer
09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
be sure to note your support for the 2nd/gun rights on your issue page... unless Louisiana turned anti gun when I wasn't looking :)

The only permit you need to own a gun is the 2nd Amendment.