PDA

View Full Version : The Philadelphia Situation

abstrusezincate
09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I've spent all day dealing with this now, getting both sides, and I'm going to tell you what I've learned.

First, I want to say how disappointed I am in the way everyone is behaving. People are flinging accusations against one another through public boards, slandering each other, and ultimately attacking people who are all supposed to be working for the same goal: helping Ron Paul. I would love someone to explain to me how any of that is helping to make anything better for anyone. Without having any facts, things are just being slung against people.

Second, Philadelphia has some real problems. There is a breakdown in communication that seriously needs to be resolved. There are legitimate issues and grievances. But, these are not going to be worked out through any forum, and all parties involved deserve and should have had the discretion to keep this as an internal matter. A discussion could have led to resolution. Or, it might have led to a change in policy and/or leadership as necessary for that group, but it was an internal matter. It should have remained such.

Third, I feel sorry for George. I know he has faults, and having spoken with people in his group, there may be reason for a change. That is their issue, and whatever Philadelphia decides is best, as a group, we must all respect. But, I've worked with him, and I know he has devoted so many hours to this campaign and so much effort because he wants to help Ron Paul. Being an organizer of a large group is a really difficult and thankless job, and though he appears to have not done the best job of it, he did the best he could and stepped up and tried. If those are the people we want to attack, then what the hell is the point of this campaign?

I want to let you know today is the first day I've felt ashamed to be part of this grassroots effort, and that this is just more politics as usual. I thought we were about working together, and we were trying to focus on the good things we can do. When we disagree, we can and do separate and go our separate ways, but it has always been with mutual respect and the goal of finding our own ways of supporting Ron Paul. Instead, we're attacking one another, and let me tell you who loses. Philadelphia loses as good people will be alienated and that group weakened. Ron Paul loses as people are spending all day dealing with this instead of stuff that matters.

I also know many of the comments being made center around the Clifton Coalition. I don't agree with what they do, and I choose not to be involved. But, I also know there are many good people who are within that group, and to cast a blanket on this is to engage in the same behavior that we see done to us and our "tinfoil hat brigade". We are individuals. All make mistakes, but we have to work together, and we have to do that in a way that is mutually respectful.

I think groups do well to avoid coalitions that have top-down structures, as they are inefficient, and I understand why so much angst is directed at that group, but this isn't about that. It isn't about the rally either. People have a legitimate gripe there that should be addressed. George should be talking with the people working hard to make things happen in Philly and their effort demands that. But, do it with dignity and respect.

I hope we don't have more days like this. I hope we don't see more people being dragged for the mad, because I have bad news for everyone: we need more people. We need all the help we can get. And if we spend our time doing this, guess what: we lose.

Now you can agree with me or disagree with me as you want. Those who know me and know the amount of work I do for this effort will attest to my character and how hard I've worked to make things happen locally, regionally, and even nationally. I'm tired of seeing our groups work against one another, and not with one another. I am going to go back to doing what matters, and that is working to help Ron Paul.

For those involved in Philadelphia, you all have serious problems and you need to work them out however makes sense. Whatever happens, we should all be there to help see that the movement continues to grow there, and it can. It's a great city with tough people that can embrace this message. But, for those who aren't involved, let them be, let them work it out, and let us try to treat people better than we have this day.

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Amen Tom K!

max
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Two of the largest groups....Philly and NY...have now had issues with the Stevens/Clifton/Copton Commission..There were conflicts in Long Island and NJ as well...

I dont know if this Feezer dude is a conscious tool of this gang...or if he just got suckered in by them. But he needs to disaccociate with them or step aside. If he won't do either.....then it appears he's one of them.

Sematary
09-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I've spent all day dealing with this now, getting both sides, and I'm going to tell you what I've learned.

First, I want to say how disappointed I am in the way everyone is behaving. People are flinging accusations against one another through public boards, slandering each other, and ultimately attacking people who are all supposed to be working for the same goal: helping Ron Paul. I would love someone to explain to me how any of that is helping to make anything better for anyone. Without having any facts, things are just being slung against people.

Second, Philadelphia has some real problems. There is a breakdown in communication that seriously needs to be resolved. There are legitimate issues and grievances. But, these are not going to be worked out through any forum, and all parties involved deserve and should have had the discretion to keep this as an internal matter. A discussion could have led to resolution. Or, it might have led to a change in policy and/or leadership as necessary for that group, but it was an internal matter. It should have remained such.

Third, I feel sorry for George. I know he has faults, and having spoken with people in his group, there may be reason for a change. That is their issue, and whatever Philadelphia decides is best, as a group, we must all respect. But, I've worked with him, and I know he has devoted so many hours to this campaign and so much effort because he wants to help Ron Paul. Being an organizer of a large group is a really difficult and thankless job, and though he appears to have not done the best job of it, he did the best he could and stepped up and tried. If those are the people we want to attack, then what the hell is the point of this campaign?

I want to let you know today is the first day I've felt ashamed to be part of this grassroots effort, and that this is just more politics as usual. I thought we were about working together, and we were trying to focus on the good things we can do. When we disagree, we can and do separate and go our separate ways, but it has always been with mutual respect and the goal of finding our own ways of supporting Ron Paul. Instead, we're attacking one another, and let me tell you who loses. Philadelphia loses as good people will be alienated and that group weakened. Ron Paul loses as people are spending all day dealing with this instead of stuff that matters.

I also know many of the comments being made center around the Clifton Coalition. I don't agree with what they do, and I choose not to be involved. But, I also know there are many good people who are within that group, and to cast a blanket on this is to engage in the same behavior that we see done to us and our "tinfoil hat brigade". We are individuals. All make mistakes, but we have to work together, and we have to do that in a way that is mutually respectful.

I think groups do well to avoid coalitions that have top-down structures, as they are inefficient, and I understand why so much angst is directed at that group, but this isn't about that. It isn't about the rally either. People have a legitimate gripe there that should be addressed. George should be talking with the people working hard to make things happen in Philly and their effort demands that. But, do it with dignity and respect.

I hope we don't have more days like this. I hope we don't see more people being dragged for the mad, because I have bad news for everyone: we need more people. We need all the help we can get. And if we spend our time doing this, guess what: we lose.

Now you can agree with me or disagree with me as you want. Those who know me and know the amount of work I do for this effort will attest to my character and how hard I've worked to make things happen locally, regionally, and even nationally. I'm tired of seeing our groups work against one another, and not with one another. I am going to go back to doing what matters, and that is working to help Ron Paul.

For those involved in Philadelphia, you all have serious problems and you need to work them out however makes sense. Whatever happens, we should all be there to help see that the movement continues to grow there, and it can. It's a great city with tough people that can embrace this message. But, for those who aren't involved, let them be, let them work it out, and let us try to treat people better than we have this day.

I completely agree with you but sometimes action needs to be taken, even if it means some knees and elbows get bloodied up. This is definitely one of those times. Hopefully this can all be resolved but the petition, regardless of what happens with the Greater Philly Meetup, needs to be signed.

njjack
09-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Two of the largest groups....Philly and NY...have now had issues with the Stevens/Clifton/Copton Commission..There were conflicts in Long Island and NJ as well...

I dont know if this Feezer dude is a conscious tool of this gang...or if he just got suckered in by them. But he needs to disaccociate with them or step aside. If he won't do either.....then it appears he's one of them.

I agree with max the coalition is doing more harm than good, Feeser needs to disasociate with them or step aside.

American
09-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Damn, did I miss something?

AFTFNJ
09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
So should we sign the petition or not? Who is Bob?

Sematary
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
So should we sign the petition or not? Who is Bob?

I am Bob
PLEASE, sign the petition

walt
09-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Put this where is belongs - the Philly meetup group.

AFTFNJ
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Well its passed onto NYC / NJ groups.

Sematary
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Well its passed onto NYC / NJ groups.

The petition is directed at the campaign and technically has nothing to do with any meetup group. It was begun because the organizer of the Greater Philly meetup doesn't want to play ball and we already have the venue, etc... The petition is an attempt to prove to the campaign that the support is there for a large rally.

nayjevin
in other news.....

everywhere else seems fine.

abstrusezincate
You can sign the petition. It just says that the rally should happen. That's fair, well, and good. I don't think anyone has a problem with that, either within or without the group, and getting people to work together for something positive is a great use of time.

You can also encourage people not to join the Clifton people. I certainly can understand that.

But no more character attacks. We're above that. Let Philly solve its own problems.

Every group has their internal dynamics and has disputes. These get ugly, but they should remain private. That's my point.

njjack
09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
You can sign the petition. It just says that the rally should happen. That's fair, well, and good. I don't think anyone has a problem with that, either within or without the group, and getting people to work together for something positive is a great use of time.

You can also encourage people not to join the Clifton people. I certainly can understand that.

But no more character attacks. We're above that. Let Philly solve its own problems.

Every group has their internal dynamics and has disputes. These get ugly, but they should remain private. That's my point.

Oh I see, we can make all the donations we want under the meetup Number #25 but we don't have a voice in this? Pardon me but this is larger than just Philly, the coalition/east coast alliance whatever they call themselves requested that all meetups donate through the one Philly group. Letters from the leadership of the coalition state this clearly and can be recovered easily if proof is needed. There are many angry people right now that feel betrayed and feel as tho they have become victims of this coalition that seems to be a fraud or scam.

I think we are allowed to speak on this rally if the event is somewhat related to the competition. Or am I wrong?

The greatest weapon a scammer has is for other people to be silent, once people speak the fraud is over.

_

AFTFNJ
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Well its passed onto NYC / NJ groups & signed.