PDA

View Full Version : GOP: My local GOP: All Ron Paul Supporters WELCOME!

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Someone who is a high ranking member of my local Republican Party got ahold of me and told me to get as many RP people involved in the party as possible.

"I really would like to get with some of the Ron Paul folks because I would very much like to personally extend an invitation to Mr. Paul's supports to join with the us to make it a better Party. I realize to some in the local and the State party that is blasphemy but I know that if someone considers themselves an "R" and will at least have an open mind and willing to at listen, then that is good enough for me. A Republican is a Republican."Unfortunately this person must remain anonymous but let's just say they carry a lot of weight in the local GOP. Apparently this person is a "big tent" Republican who wants to include and not exclude, even though they were not specifically a supporter of Dr. Paul. There appears to be a faction within the local organization that is opposed to broadening the base and allegedly likes to run off new comers and people they don't agree with. This person is attempting to combat that attitude.

Thoughts?

Mortikhi
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
If you bring enough people to outnumber those that don't want newcomers, they won't be a problem.

Good luck

Imperial
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Make sure you try to bring people who will not over-use their welcome. Ron Paul supporters can every now and then be a bit too passionate in their beliefs to the point of alienating others.

BarryDonegan
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
the meeting i saw you at, one of the older guys there pulled me aside and said "I've been here for 40 years, please bring more people like you."

This was after I had a little mini debate with him over whether or not hte government should regulate marriage at all, or has the right to. he thought it had the right to, however, wanted me to bring more people after that discussion.

i have a feeling this little factional thing has gone on in the party since robert tafts days. haha. thats the impression I get.

satchelmcqueen
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
ehhh,

are these the same people who ran paul in the mud a year ago, or ignored him as little as a few months ago?

im sorry but i just do not buy that the reps want any of us for anything other than numbers, and i feel they expect they will be able to lure some of the less grounded into their way of things.

until they have the guts, or turn of real thought to openly state they were wrong and they now support pauls views, i say let em hang. just saying they welcome pauls supporters isnt enough.

next time you talk to this guy or the group as a whole, ask them..

"so you welcome the ron paul supporters?"

they will say yes of course..

then ask them...

"But do you welcome Ron Paul?"

if they hesitate one bit or laugh, look away, whatever, just walk out and forget them is what i would say.

satchelmcqueen
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
If you bring enough people to outnumber those that don't want newcomers, they won't be a problem.

Good luck

or that

ClockwiseSpark
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Someone who is a high ranking member of my local Republican Party got ahold of me and told me to get as many RP people involved in the party as possible.

Unfortunately this person must remain anonymous but let's just say they carry a lot of weight in the local GOP. Apparently this person is a "big tent" Republican who wants to include and not exclude, even though they were not specifically a supporter of Dr. Paul. There appears to be a faction within the local organization that is opposed to broadening the base and allegedly likes to run off new comers and people they don't agree with. This person is attempting to combat that attitude.

Thoughts?

We have a very similar situation in my county. There was a small group of party "elites" that did everything they could to exclude us. They even sent out a slate for the reorganization meeting to try and make certain that no RP supporters were elected.

Surprisingly, it all backfired. Several RP supporters were elected as officers and the majority of our Exec board members supported RP in the primary. Though I have to say the best part is the fact that the former Chair has now quit the party because she wasn't reelected. :D

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
the meeting i saw you at, one of the older guys there pulled me aside and said "I've been here for 40 years, please bring more people like you."Was this the tall guy with the white mustache? :confused:

i have a feeling this little factional thing has gone on in the party since robert tafts days. haha. thats the impression I get.I don't think these people are elitists as much as they are just wanting to hold on to the status quo; in other words they don't like change or anyone outside of their beliefs.

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
are these the same people who ran paul in the mud a year ago, or ignored him as little as a few months ago? I dunno, I wasn't involved in the local GOP a year ago. My guess is that they were all pulling for Fred Thomposn.

im sorry but i just do not buy that the reps want any of us for anything other than numbers, and i feel they expect they will be able to lure some of the less grounded into their way of things. Of course they do. But they will be very surprised if they expect us to tow the party line if it disagrees with the Constitution.

if they hesitate one bit or laugh, look away, whatever, just walk out and forget them is what i would say.Who cares? If we get enough people there we can outnumber them or perhaps at least force them to respect our voting bloc.

kathy88
01-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Our local GOP is HURTING for new blood. Our meetup organizer called the Chairman and mentioned wanting to get involved (didn't mention RP) and the guy BEGGED him to come to the next meeting. It's a small rural county and I'm getting the feeling that there's like a dozen people or so who actually show up with any regularity. There are 42 positions open in the local party and we have about a dozen people ready to step into them. Most of them are precinct captains. Trying to find more.

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Our local GOP is HURTING for new blood. Our meetup organizer called the Chairman and mentioned wanting to get involved (didn't mention RP) and the guy BEGGED him to come to the next meeting. It's a small rural county and I'm getting the feeling that there's like a dozen people or so who actually show up with any regularity. There are 42 positions open in the local party and we have about a dozen people ready to step into them. Most of them are precinct captains. Trying to find more.
Ans that is EXACTLY how we change the Republican Party; by showing up!

BarryDonegan
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Was this the tall guy with the white mustache? :confused:

I don't think these people are elitists as much as they are just wanting to hold on to the status quo; in other words they don't like change or anyone outside of their beliefs.

it might have been that guy actually.

Matt Collins
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM
it might have been that guy actually.That guy is kind of obnoxious, and his breath WREAKED of cigarettes... :( I kind of get the idea he is not really a part of the "inside" crowd ;)

LittleLightShining
01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
ehhh,

are these the same people who ran paul in the mud a year ago, or ignored him as little as a few months ago?

im sorry but i just do not buy that the reps want any of us for anything other than numbers, and i feel they expect they will be able to lure some of the less grounded into their way of things.

until they have the guts, or turn of real thought to openly state they were wrong and they now support pauls views, i say let em hang. just saying they welcome pauls supporters isnt enough.

then ask them...

if they hesitate one bit or laugh, look away, whatever, just walk out and forget them is what i would say.Get over it already.

As I've said before, there is no reason to hide the fact that you're a Ron Paul Republican. The GOP is in tatters and we are enthusiastic and motivated. This is exactly what they need and they know it.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said-- and I know Dr. Paul would agree-- it's the MESSAGE not the man.

tremendoustie
01-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Get over it already.

As I've said before, there is no reason to hide the fact that you're a Ron Paul Republican. The GOP is in tatters and we are enthusiastic and motivated. This is exactly what they need and they know it.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said-- and I know Dr. Paul would agree-- it's the MESSAGE not the man.

Exactly. There are people who are too stubborn or misled to ever accept Dr. Paul himself. We need to draw these people in on the message, and make them our allies anyway.

invisible
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
By all means, accept the olive branch. Encourage the RP supporters you know to engage fully with the local party, but make sure you caution them all first: Going into this with a we're right, you're wrong confrontational debate attitude is NOT the thing to do! Don't even mention Ron Paul. Don't focus on what issues divide us from the neocons, but instead work to find common ground. Speak to the core Rebublican principles of smaller and more limited government, lessening regulation, and lowering taxes - and work to address these issues. Once they find that they are able to work together with you, they will realize that you are all on the same team, and then will be ready to listen - be patient and build a good rapport before attempting to discuss issues on which you disagree. If anyone attempts to marginalize you by asking if you supported McWar, it is easy enough to deflect such attacks by responding "well, he WAS the party's nominee, wasn't he?" or "why do you ask? what relevance does this have on anything?". Don't get sucked into arguments or debates, and you have less chance of being marginalized. Working together on common goals that unite us is more important than trying to change the closed mind of a neocon.

torchbearer
01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
More people involved means more votes for our guys.
Keep up the good work.

I have recieved informal invites recently to attend our local GOP gathering... they are looking for people are more than just talk...
And us Ron Paul guys here are activist. We could dominate this area.

AbolishTheGovt
01-08-2009, 04:47 PM
This reminds me of Mr. Thompson begging John Galt to come save the state in Atlas Shrugged. :P

satchelmcqueen
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Get over it already.

Excuse me?!? Did i ever say it was about the man? NO. Ive said many times it is the message not the man. Go look at the back log of my posts and youll see just that.:mad:

You get over it and dont piss on the parade!

LittleLightShining
01-10-2009, 09:28 AM
ehhh,

then ask them...

if they hesitate one bit or laugh, look away, whatever, just walk out and forget them is what i would say.

Excuse me?!? Did i ever say it was about the man? NO. Ive said many times it is the message not the man. Go look at the back log of my posts and youll see just that.:mad:

You get over it and dont piss on the parade!:rolleyes: