PDA

View Full Version : Free State Project...move location?

Scofield
01-07-2009, 04:10 AM
I know the Free State Project is currently being proclaimed to be in New Hampshire, but having looked at the Constitution of Alaska, I view said state as a much better option.

The Constitution is liberty friendly, and when I say that, I mean the most friendly out of any Constitution that I have seen. Their Bill of Rights is astounding in comparison to the rest of the states in the Union. They are located by a body of water, so it's not like we wouldn't be able to trade with other nations. Beautiful scenery and wildlife are abundant as well. The only downsides...lack of employment (probably the biggest killer), cold weather and lots of darkness.

I know the FSP isn't going to change locations, but for anyone looking for a liberty friendly place to live, without wanting to leave the United States....may I suggest Alaska?

I am honestly considering moving there myself after I finish college. Boy am I glad I read their Constitution.

Josh_LA
01-07-2009, 04:12 AM
I know the Free State Project is currently being proclaimed to be in New Hampshire, but having looked at the Constitution of Alaska, I view said state as a much better option.

The Constitution is liberty friendly, and when I say that, I mean the most friendly out of any Constitution that I have seen. Their Bill of Rights is astounding in comparison to the rest of the states in the Union. They are located by a body of water, so it's not like we wouldn't be able to trade with other nations. Beautiful scenery and wildlife are abundant as well. The only downsides...lack of employment (probably the biggest killer), cold weather and lots of darkness.

I know the FSP isn't going to change locations, but for anyone looking for a liberty friendly place to live, without wanting to leave the United States....may I suggest Alaska?

I am honestly considering moving there myself after I finish college. Boy am I glad I read their Constitution.

oh yeah ,they can certainly use some liberty up there.

Kludge
01-07-2009, 04:14 AM
Alaska is cold... far away... subject to far higher shipping charges... and otherwise cut off from the United States, though subject to their taxes and mandates.

And I think they have roaming polar bears.

BuddyRey
01-07-2009, 06:43 AM
I really want to move to NH, but my dad obdurately refuses to move anywhere above the Mason-Dixon line.

I'm dying to join the activists up there, but I can't go without my family. :(

Dianne
01-07-2009, 06:54 AM
I actually agree that Alaska would have been a super choice. Other than freezing cold, they are very independent thinkers. Even some of Palen's family members are active in the Alaskan Independence Party which is a successionist party.

http://www.akip.org/index.html

Elwar
01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
The Free State Project already has a hard enough time getting people up there mainly for the simple reason that it's so damned cold. Alaska would be even harder.

New Hampshire is a good pick and they've already started to affect things. Even if you don't want to move there, I suggest you do what you can to support them in whatever ways you can. We need a state to show the rest of the country how it can be done.

tonesforjonesbones
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Why couldn't it be Texas...there are many conservatives there..and libertarians already...besides..when Texas seceeds there will be a mass exodus into that state and we need one big enough to handle it. Hopefully all the riff raff will move to the north. New Hampshire is hurt...they suspended ALL juries. That is NOT a good sign. Tones

Elwar
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Why couldn't it be Texas...there are many conservatives there..and libertarians already...besides..when Texas seceeds there will be a mass exodus into that state and we need one big enough to handle it. Hopefully all the riff raff will move to the north. New Hampshire is hurt...they suspended ALL juries. That is NOT a good sign. Tones

Because Texas has a huge population. The goal of the Free State Project is to bring 20,000 liberty loving people to a state with a low population where they would have the most affect. The 20k was based upon a similar ratio of people in Ontario that ended up having enough sway to take over the politics of that province (or whatever it's called).

Even with just a few hundred people moving there already they've been able to get people elected and laws changed.

Gosmokesome
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes New Hampshire is the best chance at achieving much freedom for a large amount of people.

UtahApocalypse
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Agin I will point out Montana, or Wyoming. It is really a shame that too many on this board value being warm and cozy over having freedom and liberty.

Jeremy
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
They've already spent a long time deciding, what makes you think they didn't look at Alaska.

And Alaska is far too big too do anything in. Imagine trying to do one of those state-wide meetings with the freaking biggest state in the country as oppose to one of the smallest. Not to mention that no one would move to the North Pole.

Jeremy
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Agin I will point out Montana, or Wyoming. It is really a shame that too many on this board value being warm and cozy over having freedom and liberty.

Of course you would, because you live near them! Stop being so selfish, it's in New Hampshire. EVERY state was considered. And now that it's over, freestaters who even moved from Montana say NH was the best choice. So you people need to stop pretending like the choice is still being made. I wasn't around then, but I know they spent a lot of time, a lot of research, and a lot of energy deciding on New Hampshire. Any of them seeing this thread would probably be offended at those trying to rewrite this huge project just because you want it to be closer to where you are now or something.

brandon
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Boy am I glad I read their Constitution.

The problem is that constitutions are mostly meaningless. Pennsylvania has a pretty good constitution as well...but it is not followed anymore than the US constitution is followed.

I'm not saying Alaska isn't a good choice, I'm just saying that a constitution is only meaningful if the people in power are following it.

UtahApocalypse
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Of course you would, because you live near them! Stop being so selfish, it's in New Hampshire. EVERY state was considered. And now that it's over, freestaters who even moved from Montana say NH was the best choice. So you people need to stop pretending like the choice is still being made. I wasn't around then, but I know they spent a lot of time, a lot of research, and a lot of energy deciding on New Hampshire. Any of them seeing this thread would probably be offended at those trying to rewrite this huge project just because you want it to be closer to where you are now or something.

I have read, seen stories, and watched the primaries of NH. Its just about the farthest from free I have seen. I would move to where ever a trure FREE state was, even another country do don't even try to claim its because they are closer to me.

I just can't fathom NH being free when they are eliminating jury trials among other loss of liberty. In the Primaries what state was it that elected Libertarians to its legislature? what state gave the highest percent of votes to Ron Paul?? Research.... and here is a hint, it is not your false free state NH.

Jeremy
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I have read, seen stories, and watched the primaries of NH. Its just about the farthest from free I have seen. I would move to where ever a trure FREE state was, even another country do don't even try to claim its because they are closer to me.

I just can't fathom NH being free when they are eliminating jury trials among other loss of liberty. In the Primaries what state was it that elected Libertarians to its legislature? what state gave the highest percent of votes to Ron Paul?? Research.... and here is a hint, it is not your false free state NH.

They weren't eliminating jury trials. That was a made up rumor made by somebody here. Also, votes don't equal freedom. And Ron Paul has endorsed the FSP in NH. ;)

Scofield
01-07-2009, 01:18 PM
When I made this thread, I wasn't saying NH was a bad choice. Nor was I saying Alaska because it's close to me (quite opposite actually, since I live in NY). I just happened to look at their Constitution, and it secures a lot more liberties than I have seen in most.

Plus, weed is legal if you have under an ounce.:)

NCGOPer_for_Paul
01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
The problem the Free Staters didn't consider with NH was the insidious influence of Taxachusetts.

Also, the cost of living is pretty high in New Hampshire.

Not to mention, if you are a sports fan, you have to deal with obnoxious Red Sux and Patriots fans.

That all being said, I would *consider* moving there if I could have a full time job that paid at least 80k a year, and if my wife could continue to pursue her nursing career.

Jeremy
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
The problem the Free Staters didn't consider with NH was the insidious influence of Taxachusetts.

Also, the cost of living is pretty high in New Hampshire.

Not to mention, if you are a sports fan, you have to deal with obnoxious Red Sux and Patriots fans.

That all being said, I would *consider* moving there if I could have a full time job that paid at least 80k a year, and if my wife could continue to pursue her nursing career.

The cost of living is not high in NH. Of course, that is completely relative, but I wouldn't know what you consider high. And there are tons of things people forget to consider. For example, the *size* of the state. All of the other "free" states are way to big to be organized in. And these aren't my words... they're from someone who moved from Montana to NH with the FSP. New Hampshire also has the best economy in the country.

raystone
01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Rather than moving, the idea of expanding free state is better. For example, love the idea of every state having a free county. Many, many of us refuse to move away from our extended family. My family comes first, then community, then country.

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
nt

mport1
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM

+1

PennCustom4RP
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Rather than moving, the idea of expanding free state is better. For example, love the idea of every state having a free county. Many, many of us refuse to move away from our extended family. My family comes first, then community, then country.

This is my thought exactly. Rather than move to NH, I prefer to fight for Freedom in my home state. Pennsylvania, not including the Liberal Philadelphia area, is mainly rural, full of Bitter Lovers of Liberty, clinging to their Guns and religion!
Run to the Hills if I have to...Don't Tread on Me! Molon Labe!

dr. hfn
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
stick with New Hampshire, we need to make sure it succeeds