PDA

View Full Version : GOP: Local GOP just made me an officer!

Matt Collins
01-06-2009, 09:50 PM
I have been attending my local GOP meetings since about June of last year. So total I've probably been to 5 or 6 meetings. Their website hadn't been updated since about then, so I e-mailed the chairman and told him that I would be interesting in making whatever day-to-day updates are needed. I did this because I wanted the website updated myself because it was frusterating to have out of date info (ha ha), but I also wanted to get a bit more involved.

Next thing I know the chair of the party creates an office for me and I'm now a voting member of the executive committee! :D

Why is this important? Because if we can get 4 or 5 other Ron Paul supporters onto the executive committee, then we can dominate the local party. If everyone who supported Ron Paul (or at least 20% of them) did the same thing, the GOP would change nationwide overnight.

Here is the e-mail my local chairman sent out to the entire county party:

"With the growing importance of the Internet as a method of communication and to spread the message of the County Party, it has become apparent that there was a need to put a greater emphasis on the local party's web presence. In keeping with the fiscal responsibility which has at times restricted the County's efforts we have been fortunate to have been offered the assistance in our Internet endevours by Matt Collins, a member of the County Party and good Republican who has a very bright future with our Party. As Chairman and in keeping with the practice of several of my predecessors, I have offered Matt the appointment of Chief Information Officer of the County Party which duties will include oversight of the web site and Internet information distribution. This position will report directly to the Chairman with a secondary reporting to the County Party Secretary. This position will be held as an ex officio member of the County Executive Committee.

I want to express my appreciation to ******* for his past work for the County Party. I also want to thank Matt for his agreeing to take on this task. I think it is extremely important for all to know that Matt should not be considered just our techno person but is the type of young leader that this Party needs to grow in the future and in even more challenging roles."

JK/SEA
01-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I'll be the first to say it. Congratulations Matt.

The Revolution continues...

Pete
01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Way to go, Matt! :cool:

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." -- Woody Allen

I figure that we need about six more people in our county GOP to start swinging votes our way. We really are just THAT close to being mainstream. I hope your success is an inspiration for many, Matt.

surf
01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
right on, Matt.

remember, the one common denominator we all claim to have is a disdain for large government. I was just asked by our district leader to be a part of - what i'm calling - a "downsize Olympia" group here in the Redmond/Bellevue (Washington) area.

i may be blowing smoke out my ass, but i think the one common denominator we can use to reach this crowd is to emphasize "small(er) government."

they want our numbers more than anything, so if they offer something, my advice is to take advantage of it.

Matt Collins
01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks... it's not as much of a congratulations that I'm looking for as much as it is a large swath of people who will follow my lead and do similar things within their own local GOP's. I'm trying to set an example...

constitutional
01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
With 7k posts, I would keep a lid on this (the fact that you are a RP supporter) and not blur it all out in public.

Congrats.

Call Me V
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Congrats Mr. Collins!

Nyte
01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Gratz Matt!

RonPaulVolunteer
01-06-2009, 11:42 PM
We have our meetings tomorrow. I can't vote, not a Precinct Captain, but hopefully we'll build some bridges.

Knightskye
01-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Matt, How many people serve on the executive committee?

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Matt, How many people serve on the executive committee?Maybe 28-30 at most. However usually they don't normally have more than 7-12 of them actually show up in most cases.

LittleLightShining
01-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks... it's not as much of a congratulations that I'm looking for as much as it is a large swath of people who will follow my lead and do similar things within their own local GOP's. I'm trying to set an example...

Right on, Matt! I am now on the executive committee of my county GOP committee, too.

LittleLightShining
01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
With 7k posts, I would keep a lid on this (the fact that you are a RP supporter) and not blur it all out in public.

Congrats.Bah! What difference does it make if you're a RP supporter? They obviously appreciated his motivation enough to make a special position for him.

angelatc
01-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Way to go Matt!

Kludge
01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Months ago, talkin' of the genitals of members of Dr. Paul's family - months from now, talkin' about foreign policy on Morning Joe.

Well done.

ShannonOBrien
01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
:d maaaaaaattttt!

Allan Bartlett
01-07-2009, 09:11 AM
That's awesome. Great job Matt.

Elwar
01-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Good idea, I just moved to my area and noticed that our party's website is severely lacking (even having their contact e-mail as a yahoo address). I'll try to get involved as soon as possible and do the same after I get known.

I'm not a big fan of keeping my ideals hidden, when I went to the Texas state convention I didn't hide the fact that I supported Ron Paul. I didn't go advertising it, I got to know people on a personal level and then when it came up I was honest. They usually just said something along the lines of "well he certainly does have some lively followers". I didn't even hide the fact that I was heavy into the Libertarian Party. I kinda gave up any chance of being covert when I ran for Congress on the LP ticket...a quick google search on my name would be easy enough to find that out.

Although, from what I've read, the county I just moved to (Pasco county) had a chairman that went out of his way to kick RP supporters out of one of the meetings. So I'll definitely be feeling things out upon my initial interactions. I figure it's just like internet forum etiquitte. Lurk for a little bit to get up to speed, then step in as the newbie that you are.

james1844
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Matt,

Congratulations. Well done.

I have been attending my local GOP meetings since about June of last year. So total I've probably been to 5 or 6 meetings. Their website hadn't been updated since about then, so I e-mailed the chairman and told him that I would be interesting in making whatever day-to-day updates are needed. I did this because I wanted the website updated myself because it was frusterating to have out of date info (ha ha), but I also wanted to get a bit more involved.

Next thing I know the chair of the party creates an office for me and I'm now a voting member of the executive committee! :D

Why is this important? Because if we can get 4 or 5 other Ron Paul supporters onto the executive committee, then we can dominate the local party. If everyone who supported Ron Paul (or at least 20% of them) did the same thing, the GOP would change nationwide overnight.

Here is the e-mail my local chairman sent out to the entire county party:

Jeremy
01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
schwwwweeet =o

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Months ago, talkin' of the genitals of members of Dr. Paul's family - months from now, talkin' about foreign policy on Morning Joe.Huh? :confused:

BarryDonegan
01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
good work matt!

NCGOPer_for_Paul
01-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Congratuatlions! Glad to see another Ron Paul Republican become a fellow GOP "officer".

Imperial
01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Good Job!

I am still trying to figure out when my county GOP's next meeting is...I suppose I will have to take a drive to the HQ and see what comes up.

satchelmcqueen
01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
good for you. maybe my whole "forget em" way of thinking is why i would never make it in any gop official spot.

stick to your guns and do not cave for them. good luck to you.

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Good Job!

I am still trying to figure out when my county GOP's next meeting is...I suppose I will have to take a drive to the HQ and see what comes up.
Real simple... look at your state GOP website, and contact someone on there to get ahold of your county GOP. If there isn't one, ask them about starting it up.

Kludge
01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Huh? :confused:

I guess you were drunk :p

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1677687&postcount=161

Matt Collins
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I guess you were drunk :p
Just because a mod claimed I did doesn't make it true. I think they misread or misunderstood what was actually posted. But none of that matters at this point. :rolleyes:

rancher89
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Congrats Matt, I managed to skip the local GOP stuff and went right to the 12th District Exec committee and have been on it for a few months. Right around Thanksgiving my Dist Chair placed me on the State Platform Committee. (North Carolina)

It's all about showing up and being in the right place at the right time and not being an annoying person.

I still can't believe that I'm on the State Platform Committee. I never missed a Dist Exec meeting, not one, and that was one of the things that my Dist Chair complained about when she was looking for replacements for the Dist Exec Committee--people weren't showing up!!!

Excellent job, I really do think that if we just show up, we will outnumber them, sooner, rather than later.

Go to those meetings guys!!!

Matt Collins
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
It's all about showing up and being in the right place at the right time and not being an annoying person.

Excellent job, I really do think that if we just show up, we will outnumber them, sooner, rather than later.

Go to those meetings guys!!!Absolutely. This is proof positive that we CAN change the GOP from the bottom up by simply showing up.

rancher89
01-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe we should have a special place for threads about the positions we've gained? It is very inspiring to hear of our sucesses. Just think we could have a Liberty Lovin' FL GOP chair!

danberkeley
01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
YaaaY!

JK/SEA
01-09-2009, 01:26 AM
How many on your legislative committe?

Orgoonian
01-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Congrats to you Mr.Collins!

Matt Collins
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Activism does work,just look at 4409's recent success.Huh?:confused:

speciallyblend
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
to be honest ,screw the parties. It really depends on the state and county etc. In some counties you can take over and in some the gop should just go away. It really depends on your local politics not the party. work with whatever party you need to politically. the gop in lake county is pretty much dead and buried.
It will be better to work within the democratic party in my county. they are more into ron pauls message then the gop here.

forget parties,just make the changes neeeded locally!!! it really depends on what state your in.. the gop might be useful in some states and counties and in others the gop is useless!!!!

what we need is an interactive map ,so we can focus on many parties and our gains!!! and focus on all the parties:)

Change is local and can be done from either parties even in some areas with the LP/CP depending on your local politics!!!!!!

Kludge
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Huh?:confused:

Bump (and a more genuine congratulations ;))

Matt Collins
01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
what we need is an interactive map ,so we can focus on many parties and our gains!!! and focus on all the partiesSounds like someone is asking for a virtual war room.

pennycat
01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Matt is a one of Tennessee's finest patriots. 'Nuff said.

ClayTrainor
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
You the man Matt. Congrats

Don't go getting all corrupt with your elitist government powers now :p

Matt Collins
01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Matt is a one of Tennessee's finest patriots. 'Nuff said.
And you are one of Florida's finest too!