View Full Version : Gravel Meets with Clearwater Ron Paul Group

transistor
09-11-2007, 05:49 PM
haven't seen this posted yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6yNLLXsg4

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Haha, Gravel....

If I had a crazy old uncle, that'd be him.

0zzy
09-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Awesome video! Tell Ron Paul :)! Via email or telephone.

I like Gravel, I might not agree with him on things, but he's a great guy just trying to do what's best for the country.

Paulitician
09-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Isn't that what Ghouliani suggested, Ron Paul and Mike Gravel one on one? Hehehehe. Nonetheless, I'd very much like to see something like that on TV. Two American patriots discussing issues the people want to here in a very intellectual manner.

ChristopherJ
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I would LOVE to see a debate between RP and MG. People could really get to know the 2 candidates without the media bias. Only thing is there would be much more upside for Gravel though the downside wouldn't be much for RP. Bet it would get some good ratings.

maxmerkel
09-11-2007, 06:04 PM
gravel is a good guy, i don't question that, but i don't think that he really understands that a free market solves any problem whatsoever in a more efficient way than well anything else. but still, he's a good guy and i like him, there are good politicians on both sides, they just don't get elected - this will change with ron paul !!

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Well time out, Gravel is a super-globalist. He's all about getting a world government together. The difference is in his government we all hold hands and sing songs.

Brasil Branco
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
If a network wants to do it- I think it would be a fantastic idea.

Just because he doesn't agree with your views, doesn't make him a "bad guy". Chomsky/Friedman were arch-enemies and yet you wouldn't classify one as "dumb". I think a debate of two opposing viewpoints would do so much to counter the flurry of "Who's the most against the war/who's the most for the war" Democratic and Republican debates.

skiingff
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Kucinich is also an honest politician and a man of integrity.

Corydoras
09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Here is a pretty devastating article about Gravel. I think it's horrible when people like Giuliani group our guy with him. Gravel may be sincere and I give him big points for that, but I think he's really incompetent and not terribly smart. Ron Paul is in a totally different league.

Trail mix. Good lord.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/04/AR2007090401794.html?nav=rss_politics

constituent
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
hell yea! we need a solid "second-tier" discussion forum to be aired live
on PBS or something w/ Bill Moyers or somebody else familiar enough w/
the territory to moderate...

not a debate...

just a discussion.

mdh
09-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Gravel is a true democrat - that is to say, he espouses the idea of direct democracy via "The National Initiative". It's a neat idea. He's a bright guy, and I think he's a good guy as well. He does indeed believe in the idea of global governance to an extent, for the traditional left/liberal reasons of preventing one country from stepping on the toes of other(s), etc. In that and many other things I disagree with him...
Of the two "big" parties, though, while Paul is miles above Gravel in my eyes, Gravel is miles and miles above everyone else. Paul also has much more support at this point - he's broken out in the Republican party and gained a lot of traction with disenfranchised conservative voters and libertarians, while Gravel hasn't really gained as much amongst Dems. The problem is that while the majority of Republican candidates come out and say they're for the war, the Dems lie and claim to be against it, which does a disservice to their two true anti-war candidates.

Then there's Kucinich, who takes some of the vote from Gravel. Not a bad guy, either, and genuinely anti-war, but he also supports a nationwide ban on guns that doesn't sit well with me at all.

Hook
09-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Gravel and Kucinich both have high integrity but bad ideas. I think that having Gravel as Sec. of State would be about the worst position for him. The Sec. of State is in charge of diplomacy, and Gravel ain't very diplomatic. :)
They should put him in charge of the DEA so he can get rid of the whole agency.

blazin_it_alwyz
09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Well time out, Gravel is a super-globalist. He's all about getting a world government together. The difference is in his government we all hold hands and sing songs.

Even so, he is the best democrat running, and I would also take him over any other republican other than Ron Paul. I would definitely be happy with Gravel for VP. And honestly, if the election came down to either Gravel or Ron Paul, your not going too wrong with Gravel. Whatever their beliefs, they are both highly respectable.

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Here is a pretty devastating article about Gravel. I think it's horrible when people like Giuliani group our guy with him. Gravel may be sincere and I give him big points for that, but I think he's really incompetent and not terribly smart. Ron Paul is in a totally different league.

Trail mix. Good lord.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/04/AR2007090401794.html?nav=rss_politics

Wow!!!!! That was so long, but I read the whole thing it cracked me up.

That shows you how badly we need to keep Ron Paul funded. We don't want him trying to stuff trail mix into dufflebags for campaign HQ.

I'm still laughing!

Magsec
09-11-2007, 06:49 PM
My eyes were gettin' a little watery: 2 candidates from different parties won't let politics get in the way of an honest debate about real issues. I can't wait to see it happen.

There's just something about Gravel back in the 'Nam War when he was filibustering for his life, I just have so much respect for that I won't let anyone get away with slandering that man. Going after Gravel, even though he might be a Democrat, is alot like goin' after RP. It would be a dream ticket to seem them vie for the nomination, but RP would still get my nod.

SeanEdwards
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I think a debate of the non-anointed ones would be fantastic. Let all the second tier candidates come. The stuffed suits (and dress) want to limit the debate anyway, so they shouldn't mind being excluded. :D

quickmike
09-11-2007, 06:51 PM

and throw rocks in the lake.

At his heart, hes a good man, but I wouldnt want him making policy but I would trust him to do what he thinks is right, not taking marching orders from the neo-cons or neo-dems. I just dont agree with about 40 percent of what he wants to do.

Straight up guy though.

paulaholic
09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow!!!!! That was so long, but I read the whole thing it cracked me up.

That shows you how badly we need to keep Ron Paul funded. We don't want him trying to stuff trail mix into dufflebags for campaign HQ.

I'm still laughing!

Poor guy. You can tell he's a really decent man, even if he's a poor debater and a bit nutty. It must be so hard for him to keep going, but I hope he doesn't give up.

Corydoras
09-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't think it's wise to compare someone with as little common money sense as Gravel to a master of monetary theory like Ron Paul.

Gravel was truly heroic during Vietnam when the moment called for it. But what he did then required no executive sense. And the president is, after all, an executive, most of all now during a financial crisis.

JMHO. Good intentions and all that.

dukker
09-11-2007, 08:58 PM
A paul and gravel nomination is what politics should really be about. 2 men with honesty and integrity who really believe in their policies, and there are real differences in what they stand for.

American
09-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Gravel almost had me with his rock in the water video, I'm sure glad I found Ron Paul though.....;)

Richie
09-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Gravel is one of the good guys. If he were Dr. Paul's running mate, that would not stop me from voting for him. However, think of this realistically. On the Democrat side, Gravel is silenced even more then Paul. I doubt having him as a running mate would bring very many votes in from that side. Also, it's hard enough as it is getting Republican die-hards to open their minds and listen to the truth. If there were a Democrat on the ticket, it would be out of the question for some, if not most of these people.

Gravel has some flawed views as well. He's a supporter of one world government, and he wants to make us a true Democracy (not a Republic, which is what we should be). These are pretty major issues. However, despite my disagreements with him, he's still a good guy. I'd take him as President over Rudy or Mitt any day. At least he's doing what he genuinely thinks is best for his country.

TruePatriot44
09-11-2007, 09:35 PM
digg it up:

Digg: Gravel at Ron Paul rally. (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Mike_Gravel_rallies_support_for_Ron_Paul)

PennCustom4RP
09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Gravel and Kucinich both have high integrity but bad ideas. I think that having Gravel as Sec. of State would be about the worst position for him. The Sec. of State is in charge of diplomacy, and Gravel ain't very diplomatic. :)
They should put him in charge of the DEA so he can get rid of the whole agency.

Haha, Can you imagine...Gravel as Sec State, losing his cool, and telling some Saudi or other diplomat to STFU, Sit Down and Listen!!
That could be on Pay per View, just after Friday Night Fights!

RP4ME
09-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Kucinich wants universal health care - No thanks!!!!

hard@work
09-11-2007, 10:38 PM
He's the type of politician we should have and what we need to fight for. We need alternative viewpoints, heck that's the point of a Republic. But we need honest men to champion them.

SwanMaiden
09-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Trail mix. Good lord.

That article made me very sad.:( While I strongly disagree with Mike Gravel on many issues, he is nonetheless an honest man of principle and vision. He has the integrity to fight for what he truly believes is best for his country, even when it seems like no one is listening. Sound familiar? In some ways I see Mike Gravel and Ron Paul as two sides of the same coin. Their views (and yes, you could even argue intelligence and competence) may vary, but they share many positive personal characteristics. It makes me sick that the likes of Killery and Roto Rudy can rake in millions for no reason other than they are the "anointed" of the power structure while a decent honest man like Gravel is forced to scrounge trail mix for his campaign office. I would bet everything I own that Obama and Hillary did not eat a TV dinner before appearing in that debate, more likely a fine meal in an upscale restaurant.

I am a Ron Paul supporter through and through, and deep down I KNOW he will win, but if I found myself in some alternate universe where he was not a candidate I would vote for Gravel before Rudy McRombee.

jmarinara
09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Gravel is a direct democracy advocate. He'll never have my vote because of that.

What was it Washington said about democracy? Something about two wolves and a lamb having dinner? *smirk*

LibertyOfOne
09-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I think a hybrid system would be interesting. You keep the way that bills are traditionally passed. After the president has singed something into law a year later the people hold veto power over the laws. They can then vote the laws that they want axed. In order for a bill to be consider fully "passed" it would have to survive two veto rounds. It would then just add another check on government instead of giving the law making abilities to the people.

Hook
09-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Amazing how people on this campaign have respect for other candidates that have real ideas, even if they don't agree with them. Most Rudy and Romney folks hate every Dem just because they are Dems.
We care about ideas, not labels :)

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
After one of the debates in which Gravel was calling out the other candidates on fundraising and war etc I gave him a small donation. I hope he can stay in the race long enough to wake people up.

r3volution
09-12-2007, 12:24 AM

JosephTheLibertarian
09-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Kucinich wants universal health care - No thanks!!!!

universal is better than this, but true free market is better than both....
I'll take liberal health care over elitist, status quo health care, but I'll take libertarian economics over both ;)
meaning.. if it were between Kucinich and Thompson on health care, I'd go with Kucinich. I think free markets are better, but I'll take Kucinich's universal health care over Thompson's status quo health care system.