PDA

View Full Version : the trouble we're in ... no crowd at the mall

lynnf
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I saw a news report that had the reporter in a mall and in the background there was......
practically no-one, at a mall that I used to frequent that used to be fairly crowded all the time.

this description caught my eye so I post it here

http://slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxfactor/archive/2009/01/03/mall-noir.aspx#

"which is how I wound up spending my Friday night at the Montgomery Mall. And seeing for myself what deep trouble we are in: No one was there, shoppers or salespeople, to the point that I began to have horror-flick fantasies. (Oh no, it's the Rapture and we've been left behind at the Montgomery Mall? How humiliating.) Because no one can afford new inventory, it was also like a visit to the Island of Misfit Toys (and Sweaters)—with everything good and pawed over, and prices so marked down that the signs might as well have said, What Were We Thinking?"...

"though this was the fourth business in the mall to go under in the last month alone, and she was starting to wonder where she was going to find a J-O-B. The place was so still all through Christmas, she said, that the highlight of her season was the day a shoplifter ran through the mall with six or eight security guards in hot pursuit—and got away." ...

of course, some of this business has transferred to the internet, but probably not all of it.

lynn

paulitics
01-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I noticed it today. No one at the book stores, malls, anywhere. January is supposed to be a huge month with retail sales. I would say, sales are probably down 50% from 3 years ago.

constitutional
01-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I noticed it today. No one at the book stores, malls, anywhere. January is supposed to be a huge month with retail sales. I would say, sales are probably down 50% from 3 years ago.

where do you live?

phill4paul
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
The local Goodwill store has been packed. Sales are the highest many employees have ever seen.

Right before the new year employees told me that donations have been out the roof. This kinda confused me. I figured hard times would make people want to save. They told me it is because people want their tax donation slip.

I was in there today, Jan 6th, and they told me people were still donating in unusually high numbers. So I'm at a loss again as to why.

On another note an employee told me Goodwill was on the stock exchange. For some reason I didn't think non-profits had stock. I haven't had a chance to check, but if so it may be a stock to invest in.

purplechoe
01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
On another note an employee told me Goodwill was on the stock exchange. For some reason I didn't think non-profits had stock. I haven't had a chance to check, but if so it may be a stock to invest in.

Goodwill on stock exchange? How about The Red Cross? Something about that just does not seem right.

phill4paul
01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Goodwill on stock exchange? How about The Red Cross? Something about that just does not seem right.

That's what I was wondering. Particularly if Goodwill is using the CRS as a business model.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=174194

They do over 3 billion a year. I'm gonna spend a coupla weeks on them and see if I can get a better understanding of the company.

brandon
01-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Which Montgomery Mall is this article referring too? I live near the Montgomery Mall in montgomeryville PA

lynnf
01-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Which Montgomery Mall is this article referring too? I live near the Montgomery Mall in montgomeryville PA

your guess is as good as mine -- but I found a listing of a Melinda Henneberger that lives outside the DC area and she writes for the Huffington Post so that's probably the one.

lynn

Kludge
01-07-2009, 03:54 AM
What possible reason could you have to shop at a mall (except maybe the large clothes stores on the ends.... or the book stores if you have no others)?