PDA

View Full Version : Vaccines, Child Immunization, Mercury and other Preservatives

M House
01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay for starters....
http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm#t2 (FDA on Thimerosal in Vaccines)
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5751.pdf (consult page 37-40 for a recently revised immunization schedule ages 0-18)
I'm going to post this to begin... I plan to look thru both mercury and a few other common preservatives. I'll also explain best I can what each vaccine is for, does, and if I got any information on effectiveness I'll post it as well. It'll get long, so I'm just posting this to begin before I get timed out.

M House
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Okay I was going to check my facebook instead, but if there's one thing I wanna be remembered for it's this...

Typical Preservatives
Thimerosal-Methyl Mercury it is a known neurotoxin
Phenol-antiseptic not really that bad but alot is simply deadly
Benzethonium chloride (Phermerol)-microbial poison who knows it's probably more effective than some of the vaccines it finds itself in.
2-phenoxyethanol-kinda related to phenol similar concept
Formaldehyde-toxic
Others-Antibiotics, Anti-fungals, etc. Often includes different aluminum compounds. Vary levels of toxicity primary concern is simply a allergic reaction to these. Many people are pretty sensitive especially considering these will go strait into your blood.

Many vaccine manufacturers have reduced (trace amount) or eliminated preservatives. But I doubt there are many entirely free ex. Gardasil contains aluminum compounds but still counts as preservative free.

Going from the 0-6 years tables
Birth
-Hepatitis B (HepB)
1) Trade Name
Engerix B - no mercury
Recombivax - no mercury

2ish months or later
-Hepatitis A (HepA) it's not a standard vaccine but sometimes done for childhood
1) Trade Name
Havrix- no mercury
Vaqta - no mercury
-Combination (HepA/HepB)
Twinrix- has mercury (trace) and 2-phenoxyethanol
Obviously if your going to give a HepB or HepA to your child you'd might want to request the individual vaccinations. HepB is very effective but goes in three doses. So pretty much you could get a triple dose of mercury with the combination right there. That is if it works that way not sure how many are in the series, usually it's three. Not to mention you'd probably want to look at both the vaccine manufacturers for these.

-Diptheria, Tetanus, & Pertussis (DTaP) aka 3 in 1
The person or persons who came up with this confusing multi stage vaccine series for 3 different illnesses need to be found and eliminated. Anyway, it's alteast a four or five part series with boosters. I'm not even going to bother to check out effectiveness cuz there are way too many variables.
1) Trade Name
Tripedia- mercury (trace) considering the number of shots of it maybe just consider the others.
Infanrix- none
Daptacel- none

......related to this series
-Pediatrix- WTF is this a all in one it's also a HepB and contains no mercury. Why not just have your child take this complete series? O well gotta research it later. 4 in 1?

-Diptheria, Tetanus (DT) 2 in 1
1) Trade Name
Generic formulations, I guess, anyway both have mercury one's standard, other is trace.

-(Td) same concept to the above some doctor got dyslexic
2 of three options contain mercury only one is labeled.... it contains it, useless.

-Tetanus (TT) I'm thinking this is the amazing "booster shot"
No brand just contains standard amount Thimerosal(mercury)

-Influenza Standard
1) I guess this is the general Flu vaccination package?
Afluria- mercury
Fluzone- mercury
Fluvirin- mercury
Fluzone(specific thimerosal free variant)- none
Fluvirin (perservative free) - still contains mercury, somebody obviously had a sense of humor in marketing...
Fluarix - trace mercury
FluLaval - standard mercury
Outta all those options only one doesn't contain mercury. Impressive....
O yeah the shots are recommended 0-18 years of age yearly starting at birth. Wow, that's gotta be healthy. If you're curious there's a "live" vaccine form too.

-Influenza type B (Hib)
Less common none of the formulations seem to contain mercury. I mean why so different from the case with the standard Flu vaccinations? What does mercury kill the vaccine too?

-Polio (IPV)
1) Trade Name
IPOL-none
Poliovax-none

-Meningococcal/Meningitis
If your at risk aka kissing alot of nasty boys early on, they tend to press for this. General principle is early vaccination and a later revaccination.
1) Trade Name
Menomune-standard mercury
Menatra-none

-Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
Cool another 3 in 1, only see one vaccine set listed....
MMR-II...it doesn't contain mercury

Wow, there's more but yeah I'll have to flesh it out later. There's probably stuff I missed and I need to look up in detail quite a few things.

angelatc
01-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Why do they put preservatives in vaccines?

tmosley
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
To prevent growth of fungus and bacteria, which would be deadly if injected.

M House
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
They probably need something, however there was that guy who posted awhile back about some sorta protein complex alternative. Anyway, mercury is kinda pointless to me looking at the alternatives for vaccine use. I kinda don't think alot of single cell or smaller organisms care about neurotoxins. Plus it takes forever to clear it from your body. Looking at the vaccine options and how frequently it can be in a multi stage series or yearly flu shot, I'm not impressed. Atleast, they are sorta addressing it now...

Dojo
01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
They probably need something, however there was that guy who posted awhile back about some sorta protein complex alternative. Anyway, mercury is kinda pointless to me looking at the alternatives for vaccine use. I kinda don't think alot of single cell or smaller organisms care about neurotoxins. Plus it takes forever to clear it from your body. Looking at the vaccine options and how frequently it can be in a multi stage series or yearly flu shot, I'm not impressed. Atleast, they are sorta addressing it now...

I heard that the answer is as easy as single dose vials, it's the multi-dose vials that risk contamination that need the thimerosal. .......... anyone else hear that, ?

M House
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
It has to do with multi-dose vials, wtf? Kinda sounds a bit strange... Anyway, not all of all of the multi-dose vials contain thimerosal preservatives. Multi-dose vials always seemed a bit on the stupid side anyway. I mean why would you want to run such a risk of contamination when everything else that gets freaking used in a hospital is disposable?

tmosley
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Multi-dose vials have thimerosal because after the first time they are used, they will be contaminated. Single dose vaccines don't need it because they use them and throw them away.

Some vaccines have to contain a trace amount because it needs to be preserved at some point in the production process, but after that point it is sterile, so they can filter it out, which leaves a trace amount. It's unfortunate that the mercury compound is literally the best thing out there at the moment for killing a wide array of microorganisms while being"safe" to inject into people.

The reason for having multi-dose packs are the cost of the packaging, and the time that it takes to produce the vaccines. Flu vaccines still come in multi-packs because a new one has to be made every year, and it is easier and quicker to fill multi-packs than single doses. For the other types of vaccines, the cost is the primary factor, because those are often given away for free (think third rural world clinics) or are are sold at the lowest cost possible.

*Edit* when I started looking into this as preliminary research for the possibility of using a seleno-amino acid as a preservative, I had the EXACT same reaction as you. Why should they use that stuff? But practicality rules over principle.

M House
01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Interesting but I'm pretty sure thimerosal isn't in every multi-dose vial. Primary concern for contamination originates from careless handing of the contact surface on the top of the vial. The preservative itself will not do anything to prevent this. If that surface gets contaminated you will contaminate your syringe everytime. I remember this from when I took a night course on being a pharm tech.

tmosley
01-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Interesting but I'm pretty sure thimerosal isn't in every multi-dose vial. Primary concern for contamination originates from careless handing of the contact surface on the top of the vial. The preservative itself will not do anything to prevent this. If that surface gets contaminated you will contaminate your syringe everytime. I remember this from when I took a night course on being a pharm tech.

True, but injection of a few cells vs a few hundred thousand makes a big difference. If cells are allowed to grow inside the vaccine, you are in for a world of trouble.

Wendi
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
In an ideal world, vaccines wouldn't need to contain poisons that some studies have linked to autism and other diseases that are arguably as debilitating both to the individual and society as the diseases the vaccines are intended to prevent. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. Everyone needs to do their own research & determine what the risk vs. benefit ratio for each individual vaccine in each individual patient is, when deciding whether or not to receive vaccinations and/or have your child vaccinated.

lucius
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
In an ideal world, vaccines wouldn't need to contain poisons that some studies have linked to autism and other diseases that are arguably as debilitating both to the individual and society as the diseases the vaccines are intended to prevent. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. Everyone needs to do their own research & determine what the risk vs. benefit ratio for each individual vaccine in each individual patient is, when deciding whether or not to receive vaccinations and/or have your child vaccinated.

+1

"When we give government the power to make medical decisions for us, we, in essence, accept that the state owns our bodies."

~U.S. Representative Ron Paul

If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Working Poor
01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I wonder why they put mercury in tooth fillings too....can anybody say AMALGUM?????

M House
02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Okay, I'm just bumping this as a ref. to Simple's Vax set. I need to look thru a couple things.