PDA

View Full Version : Who is Leon Panetta?

cska80
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I've never heard of him. All I know is he's another Clinton retread, and was part of the IPS.

lynnf
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
former U.S. Rep and then Clinton's White House Chief of Staff

more info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Panetta

lynn

devil21
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
He was Bill's chief of staff for awhile and head of OMB. Yep, another Clinton retread. I thought people voted AGAINST Hillary? Seems not so.

RCA
01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=leon+panetta

cska80
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I was obviously looking for something I couldn't google on my own.

Original_Intent
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM

A lot of people ask questions about stuff that they could google on their own.

You asked who he was and were answered. A simple thank you would be sufficient.

RSLudlum
01-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I've never heard of him. All I know is he's another Clinton retread, and was part of the IPS.

Look up the "Clipper Chip" and/or the "Colgate memo" where he is mentioned; appearently he had something to do with Gore's push to get private 'encryption' in communications that would be decryptable by intelligence agencies through a passkey provided by the makers of the communication devices.

angelatc
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
You know, I can't believe that I am sticking up for Obama, but...

there's nobody he could appoint that we would like, except maybe Michael Scheurer. And we have no idea if he is a decent manager.

Obama is picking people with experience, and because the Republicans have held the White House for so long, the Clinton years are the only real place he can look for experienced cabinet members.

Carter tried to fill his White House with outsiders and found that Washington wouldn't work with them. CLinton made the same mistake, but he rectified it before the end of his first year because he saw what was happening.

I really thought Obama would make this mistake, but he didn't.

revolutionary8
01-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Look up the "Clipper Chip" and/or the "Colgate memo" where he is mentioned; appearently he had something to do with Gore's push to get private 'encryption' in communications that would be decryptable by intelligence agencies through a passkey provided by the makers of the communication devices.

You picked the right place to ask cska.
Thanks RS.

nodope0695
01-06-2009, 12:51 AM
A 70 year old politial hack from the Carter Admin with NO INTELLIGENCE EXPERIENCE.

What the fuck is Obama thinking????? Bad choice, bad president-elect, bad years ahead.

DeadheadForPaul
01-06-2009, 12:51 AM
What is IPS

Kludge
01-06-2009, 12:53 AM
You know, I can't believe that I am sticking up for Obama, but...

there's nobody he could appoint that we would like, except maybe Michael Scheurer. And we have no idea if he is a decent manager.

Obama is picking people with experience, and because the Republicans have held the White House for so long, the Clinton years are the only real place he can look for experienced cabinet members.

Carter tried to fill his White House with outsiders and found that Washington wouldn't work with them. CLinton made the same mistake, but he rectified it before the end of his first year because he saw what was happening.

I really thought Obama would make this mistake, but he didn't.

Communist.

Kludge
01-06-2009, 12:53 AM
A 70 year old politial hack from the Carter Admin with NO INTELLIGENCE EXPERIENCE.

What the fuck is Obama thinking????? Bad choice, bad president-elect, bad years ahead.

Racist.

nodope0695
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Racist.

What? :eek::confused: Because I called the Messiah a bad man? Then if that makes me racist, so be it.;)

revolutionary8
01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/8/29/103257.shtml

Hubbell and a Secret Project

One document released by the Justice Dept. is a March 1993 Justice Dept. memo from Stephen Colgate, Assistant Attorney General for Administration, to Webster Hubbell.

In 1993, Webster Hubbell, the now convicted Rose office law partner of Hillary Clinton, served as the number two at the Justice Department. Both Gore and Janet Reno personally tasked Hubbell to run the Clipper project.

Colgate's 1993 memo to Hubbell provides the details of the Gore plan. According to the Colgate memo, Vice President Al Gore chaired a meeting with Hubbell, Reno, Commerce Secretary Ron Brown, and Leon Panetta in March 1993. The meeting was on the "AT&T Telephone Security Device".

In 1992, AT&T had developed secure telephones that the U.S. government could not tap. In response, AT&T was secretly paid by the Clinton administration to keep the secure phones out of the American market. According to Colgate's memo, the secure phones were simply too dangerous for American citizens.

"AT&T has developed a Data Encryption Standard (DES) product for use on telephones to provide security for sensitive conversations. The FBI, NSA and NSC want to purchase the first production run of these devices to prevent their proliferation. They are difficult to decipher and are a deterrent to wiretaps," Assistant Attorney General Colgate wrote to Webster Hubbell.

Secret Fund

The basic idea of the plan was to pay money to AT&T into using a National Security Agency (NSA) developed chip called CLIPPER inside its phones and computers. The Clipper chip would enable the Federal government to monitor both secure computer and telephone conversations.

Hubbell arranged for the entire production run of secure AT&T phones to be secretly purchased, using the Department of Justice "confiscation" fund supplied by the "drug war", in order to keep the purchase off the general books.

The project also included plans to "mandate" the Clipper chip into all U.S. homes and businesses. According to a secret March 1993 memo to Webster Hubbell, "FBI, NSA and NSC want to push legislation which would require all government agencies and eventually everyone in the U.S. to use a new public-key based cryptography method."

The plan to have access to every American's phones was justified in a SECRET memo to Webster Hubbell by the National Security Agency. According to Stewart Baker, NSA General Counsel, the super-secret agency "considered seeking legislation to give the government authority to regulate the manufacture or importation of encryption into the United States."

"But regulation or forbidding encryption would be a big step - and a controversial one. It seems prudent to try the less drastic voluntary approach first," noted NSA's Baker in his memo to Hubbell.

"It is also possible that competitors will not use CLIPPER and will tout their devices' lack of law enforcement access. If so, the government will have to face the harder question of whether to make key escrow mandatory," noted Baker in the SECRET memo.

"But that is a question the government would have to face today if AT&T introduced a successful non-key-escrow device. In addition to delaying the problem, getting AT&T to use CLIPPER voluntarily will give decision makers the advantage of real-life experience with key-escrow, which will provide a much better basis for deciding whether mandatory key-escrow is practicable."

Despite public statements to the contrary, and payouts to AT&T, the Clinton administration determined that mandatory CLIPPER chips were the only answer. According to a 1993 FBI memo to then Clinton national security advisor George Tenet, "technical solutions, such as they are, will only work if they are incorporated into all encryption products. To ensure that this occurs, legislation mandating the use of Government approved encryption products or adherence to Government encryption criteria is required."

Achilles Heel

However, according to secret FBI documents, the Clipper chip also had an "exploitable" feature. That "exploitable feature" was an Achilles heel.

In 1993, Benita Cooper, NASA Associate Administrator for Management Systems and Facilities, documented the fatal flaw in Gore's great computer-security idea.

"The [Clipper] Chip programmer is a device provided by the National Security Agency. There is no assurance, without scrutiny, that all keying material introduced during the chip programming is not already available to the NSA. Thus, not only do the escrow key agents have a decryption capability, the NSA also retains this capability," wrote Ms. Cooper in her rejection of the Clipper chip for NASA.

"Compromise of the NSA keys, such as in the Walker case, could compromise the entire EES [Escrowed Encryption Standard] system," concluded Ms. Cooper.

Despite the public assurances by Al Gore that the Clipper project would require legal authority to monitor subjects, it was clear at the technical level that the chip did not require any authority other than a secret okay from the NSA.

Criminals and Secrets

The secret Clipper project also had another flaw. A corrupt individual led it. In April of 1994, Hubbell resigned from the Justice Department under allegations of fraud.

Even though Hubbell was gone, the access-to-your-computer idea did not die. According to the 1996 report to V.P. Gore by then CIA Director Deutch, Ms. Reno proposed an all out Federal take-over of the computer security industry.

The Justice Department, proposed "legislation that would ... ban the import and domestic manufacture, sale or distribution of encryption that does not have key recovery. Janet Reno and Louis Freeh are deeply concerned about the spread of encryption. Pervasive use of encryption destroys the effectiveness of wiretapping, which supplies much of the evidence used by FBI and Justice. They support tight controls, for domestic use."

If Al Gore had become President, it is certain that the mandatory government phone and computer bug legislation would have become reality along with another term for Louis Freeh as FBI director.

As it is, the follow-on to Clipper authorized by the Freeh led FBI is called Carnivore. Carnivore is simply a system to monitor the keystrokes on a target computer, and it is similar in construction to many virus programs that circulate on the Internet. The Carnivore system is so imperfect that it gathers unneeded, and sometimes, unwarranted information that must be screened out.

Pauls' Revere
01-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Leon the peon!

came from Santa Cruz California as councilman I believe and later congressman in this liberal shithole on the California central coast. Google Santa Cruz and Leon Panetta and hits should pop up.

Kotin
01-06-2009, 02:22 AM
All I know is he is from the Santa Clara ilk.. which means he is a Jesuit or a Jesuit puppet.

revolutionary8
01-06-2009, 02:28 AM
All I know is he is from the Santa Clara ilk.. which means he is a Jesuit or a Jesuit puppet.

What does this mean? Santa Clara, home of the Vampires--- according to Keaneau Reeves. lol

Kotin
01-06-2009, 02:29 AM
What does this mean?

well the jesuits are the intelligence agency of the Catholic Church... so it could be bad but C.S. Lewis was a jesuit so it could mean nothing.

revolutionary8
01-06-2009, 02:32 AM
while the jesuits are the intelligence agency of the Catholic Church... so it could be bad but C.S. Lewis was a jesuit so it could mean nothing.

"Intelligence agency"? I figured them to be more militaristic. But that is just from reading history.
CS Lewis? yeah, I haven't gone on that tangent. I might be interested some day, right now, not so much.
KO- you should know that if you have a prob, you should spell it out. The shots in the back are getting old.

ding
ding

Oh I get it.
Kotin misses Bradley.
wahhhh

Kotin
01-06-2009, 02:47 AM
"Intelligence agency"? I figured them to be more militaristic. But that is just from reading history.
CS Lewis? yeah, I haven't gone on that tangent. I might be interested some day, right now, not so much.
KO- you should know that if you have a prob, you should spell it out. The shots in the back are getting old.

ding
ding

Oh I get it.
Kotin misses Bradley.
wahhhh

:rolleyes: