PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here built their own house?

rubberelectric
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm sure some of you have, but I'm just trying to get the conversation started. I mean built it yourself, not contracted out. I know nothing about building and don't even own any land, but this is a dream of mine.

My questions:

1. How much did you know when you started?
2. How did you finance things? I'm wondering if there are any alternatives to enslaving myself to a bank for 30 - 40 years.
3. What would you have done differently?

bojo68
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm sure some of you have, but I'm just trying to get the conversation started. I mean built it yourself, not contracted out. I know nothing about building and don't even own any land, but this is a dream of mine.

My questions:

2. How did you finance things? I'm wondering if there are any alternatives to enslaving myself to a bank for 30 - 40 years.

I've know of people that bought a mobile home/RV and made provisions for it, built their house around it as they had the time money. When house was done enough, they simply pulled the mobile home/RV out of the middle of the house and were all closed in and comfortable all along.

phill4paul
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM

My questions:

The guv'ment will not allow you to build your own house. Unless you are certified in every trade. Certification FTW.

Sorry to piss on your parade, but you will have to know and argue every building code with the inspectors. This is not the '60s.

ghemminger
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I am building a basic insulated shed and will you tube...no training or permits needed

Kotin
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I am building a basic insulated shed and will you tube...no training or permits needed

yes, george.. I think we all know how to pitch a tent.

RSLudlum
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I've know of people that bought a mobile home/RV and made provisions for it, built their house around it as they had the time money. When house was done enough, they simply pulled the mobile home/RV out of the middle of the house and were all closed in and comfortable all along.

I've seen that done quite a few times around my area. The ones I've seen the mobile home actually became part of the house with some of the walls ripped out/windows sheetrocked over after the house was built. I've even seen some mobile homes entirely bricked over so it looks like a site built home.

ghemminger
01-04-2009, 09:14 PM
You can build a basic shelter for almost nothing...I will prove it within the next month

phill4paul
01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
yes, george.. I think we all know how to pitch a tent.

LfOL. One of the best homeless shelters I've had the benefit of an invite was made from a tent. The guy took a dome tent. Then he covered it in expanding foam that he had stolen from a job site. I swear in the 10s degree with body heat and a candle it was toasty.:)

dannno
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
The guv'ment will not allow you to build your own house. Unless you are certified in every trade. Certification FTW.

Sorry to piss on your parade, but you will have to know and argue every building code with the inspectors. This is not the '60s.

Ya, my brother built about 80% of a full on 4 bedroom house before he ran out of money, it's quite a nightmare these days I would imagine.

He really knew what he was doing, though.

You might look into manufactured or modular homes.

driller80545
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
My wife and I built our first house back in the early 80's. I didn't know much carpentry, but did know electricity and plumbing. I studied books for a couple of years while saving the money to dry it in. We saved enough money to put up foundation, walls, windows, doors, plumbing, and electricity and then moved in. We spent five more years finishing the house check to check. It was a lot of work, but no mortgage. I was working seven on, seven off for those years, too, and that helped a lot. It was way out in the boondocks, so no inspections or permits were needed. You can do it yourself, but it is hard and takes a long time. You have to keep reminding yourself how long it takes to buy a house already built to get through the times when you want to quit. For the rest of your life (a long time also), you will benefit from the experience.

Ex Post Facto
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
When all else fails...mud/clay bricks are free and quite stable unless there there is an earthquake or flood.

http://kekexili.typepad.com/photos/kham/dsc01947.jpg

satchelmcqueen
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
My questions:
i have yet to buil my own, but i have built a few sheds, porches and a very nice clubhouse for my kids. built just like a regular home, only scaled down and does have tounge and groove inside with electricity i done myself.

building a simple basic home isnt going to be that hard if you have a basic understanding of things.

A. basic understanding of frame housing, electric knowledge from job experience.

A. when i start i am going to be sure to have the money already saved up. if you build it yourself, itll cost way less than you think. i wouldnt start however with less than 50K for a 32x32' with basement and loft. it can be done! alot of a homes costs are what you put on the inside...etc cabinets, floor types, counter tops etc...keep things simple

a. ill let you know when im done.

SAVE YOUR MONEY! dont get enslaved by a bank for 30 years and pay double the amount borrowed after its all said and done. either way youll have to pay the money, might as well save it yourself.

TIP: find a nice used trailer for 10k and live in it for 15 years while you save. thats what im doing, and there are some nice ones out there if you look.

Ninja Homer
01-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Check this out: http://www.undergroundhousing.com/

He has some very good ideas on making underground homes for very cheap, and they're beautiful.

Here's a torrent, although the video is very bad quality (audio drops): http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1626944/12690844/

If I ever build my own house, this is how I'd do it. The number 1 problem is getting around building codes. Some people will just build them out in the wilderness and not tell anybody they're building, then when it's done, it's unlikely that somebody will make you tear it all down if they ever find it.

He also has some great ideas for underground greenhouses (same link). I may actually build one of those next summer. It takes in heat from the sun as well as the radiant heat you get from the Earth when you dig down 10 feet or so.

nodope0695
01-05-2009, 12:36 AM
The mortgage companies built them out of cards.

angelatc
01-05-2009, 12:41 AM

I heard that if you can build a shed you can build a house.

Some municipalities will allow you to do it yourself. The only exception to having a license is being the homeowner in at least 2 places I've lived.

You still need to pull permits and pass inspections, but you don't have to hire the professionals.

tangent4ronpaul
01-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Building permits and inspections are major revenue generators for states. So are fines for violating them. In some areas they are using aerial photography and then a comparison to catch violators.

The closer you are to a city or suberbia - the more of a problem it is - the more rural, the less.

Out buildings don't require permits - though here the max size is limited. It does bring up an interesting way of thinking of things - dwelling for human inhabitation: bed, bathroom, kitchen. That can be satisfied with a pre-fab or mobile home. So what if the nicest area of your spread is attached and you spend most of your time in the "greenhouse" or "barn"... ;)

I suppose you could build an "illegal" house inside something else - like an aircraft hanger or existing barn... though if you have the wrong thermal signature signature / pull more energy than they think you should the DEA welcome wagon may want to pay you a visit - say at 4am...

The Anasazi built their homes in the sides of cliffs and canyons, The Iranians built bunkers under lakes (build bunker, then lake), many have lived in cave systems and some very nice houses have been built in trees - 50 - 100' up.

Much can be said in favor of earth berm and at least semi-underground construction...

In this world, the person who owns a small backhoe is god!

just some random thoughts...

-t

Ninja Homer
01-05-2009, 08:45 AM
You could always say it's an ice fishing house:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/02/15/travel/15ice.5.jpg

More ice fishing mansions here. (http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/02/15/travel/escapes/20080215_ICEHOUSE_SLIDESHOW_index.html)

I'm pretty sure there aren't any restrictions on ice fishing houses, except to get it off the lake before the ice melts. You don't even have to put it on a lake in the winter if you don't want to. It'd be relatively easy to build compared to a house with foundation, plumbing, etc. It's like building your own mobile home.

satchelmcqueen
01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Check this out: http://www.undergroundhousing.com/

He has some very good ideas on making underground homes for very cheap, and they're beautiful.

Here's a torrent, although the video is very bad quality (audio drops): http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1626944/12690844/

If I ever build my own house, this is how I'd do it. The number 1 problem is getting around building codes. Some people will just build them out in the wilderness and not tell anybody they're building, then when it's done, it's unlikely that somebody will make you tear it all down if they ever find it.

He also has some great ideas for underground greenhouses (same link). I may actually build one of those next summer. It takes in heat from the sun as well as the radiant heat you get from the Earth when you dig down 10 feet or so.

looks like the public registrations are closed on these torrents. any other way of getting them? thanks for the link BTW.

tangent4ronpaul
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
oh yeah! - houseboats!

-t

ghemminger
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
LfOL. One of the best homeless shelters I've had the benefit of an invite was made from a tent. The guy took a dome tent. Then he covered it in expanding foam that he had stolen from a job site. I swear in the 10s degree with body heat and a candle it was toasty.:)

Awesome idea if TSHTF..

american.swan
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
My aunt and uncle built a 10 sided house on the side of a mountain overlooking maryville? TENN. It was for a LONG time powered by a gas generator. They had a really nice wood burning fireplace in the living room. I imagine they got running water, but when I first visited they had to head to a mountain spring to fetch water a few miles away.

Ninja Homer
01-05-2009, 02:21 PM
looks like the public registrations are closed on these torrents. any other way of getting them? thanks for the link BTW.

Here's the book: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4342780/THE_50_DOLLAR_AND_UP_UNDERGROUND_HOUSE_BOOK

The_Orlonater
01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
My familiy in Wroclaw had their house build during the communist days.

phill4paul
01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
My familiy in Wroclaw had their house build during the communist days.

To elaborate on what I have said just realize that it will be an uphill battle.

It depends on what you want and what the government will allow.

The main hurdle you will face is your septic system. Many localities prohibit even an out house. You would have to do perc tests. etc. Even if you chose to go with green tech like the Clivus Multrum many localities would not even have an idea what you were talking about. Septic will be your biggest hurdle in that it is the one thing that will effect your neighbors.

The next hurdle will be electrical power. All electric companies will need government approval before they can connect.

These are the two big ones. If you can locate far enough out and use generators or solar cells then you can do what you want.

Except if you want insurance. You'll need the guv'ment sign-offs to get any.

Dieseler
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I've known three different families who built there own or should I say played as the builder in the construction of their homes. They each had either the financing or the cash saved up to do the job. When they were through , not a one of them said they would ever do it again.
Its not so much at all the difficulty of the work.
Its the ability to pacify the inspectors.
Each of those families has their nightmare stories of how they had to tear this out or redo that to appease the man.
Research your plan well and make sure your plan will match what they say is the code.
The little stuff will kill you and the big stuff will...
Well I guess if the little stuff kills you the big stuff won't really matter.
Be careful.

phill4paul
01-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I've known three different families who built there own or should I say played as the builder in the construction of their homes. They each had either the financing or the cash saved up to do the job. When they were through , not a one of them said they would ever do it again.
Its not so much at all the difficulty of the work.
Its the ability to pacify the inspectors.
Each of those families has their nightmare stories of how they had to tear this out or redo that to appease the man.
Research your plan well and make sure your plan will match what they say is the code.
The little stuff will kill you and the big stuff will...
Well I guess if the little stuff kills you the big stuff won't really matter.
Be careful.

This. Why are we not outraged, that on our own property, we are the servant.

Oh, we are outraged. We chose to accept that we are singular. When we should search out the other I. I sounds like "aye" in a crowd.

The_Orlonater
01-06-2009, 10:39 PM
To elaborate on what I have said just realize that it will be an uphill battle.

It depends on what you want and what the government will allow.

The main hurdle you will face is your septic system. Many localities prohibit even an out house. You would have to do perc tests. etc. Even if you chose to go with green tech like the Clivus Multrum many localities would not even have an idea what you were talking about. Septic will be your biggest hurdle in that it is the one thing that will effect your neighbors.

The next hurdle will be electrical power. All electric companies will need government approval before they can connect.

These are the two big ones. If you can locate far enough out and use generators or solar cells then you can do what you want.

Except if you want insurance. You'll need the guv'ment sign-offs to get any.

This is true, but I'm just saying what I have learned.

Dieseler
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
This. Why are we not outraged, that on our own property, we are the servant.

Oh, we are outraged. We chose to accept that we are singular. When we should search out the other I. I sounds like "aye" in a crowd.

I hear ya.
The building codes are pretty elaborate but they do serve a purpose I suppose.
They claim it helps to protect later buyers from someone who did shoddy construction that would cause later problems.
A good example would be if someone came to do work later on and for instance the wiring in the electrical outlets was run horizontal at the height of the outlets around the wall not to code. If someone hung a drill bit in there to install a cable or phone jack right next to it they would possibly get a nasty surprise or leave one for you to discover as you slept later that night.
Thats never fun.
Theres a lot of good thinking in them codes but I don't really agree with the way they are enforced all the time.
They should be more helpful to people who want to do their own thing and go over certain parts of the work to make sure theres a good understanding.
Unfortunately they just say call me when your done with this part and if it isn't right they don't pass the work and that can get very expensive at some stages.
Thats why I say be careful cause they really don't care what it costs you and they will shut you down with force of law if they want to.

lucius
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I have built house with my own hands that incorporated passive/active solar, radiant heat, whole house fan, utilizing mostly surplus materials--state of the art low tech is my mantra. It was great experience and I look forward to my next one--it's big fun.

My undergrad is in engineering and read voraciously, good with my hands and not afraid to make mistakes.

ps: Depending on where you live, put radon abatement in from the get-go; it cost little then, can be a bitch to retrofit.

M House
01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
I have built house with my own hands that incorporated passive/active solar, radiant heat, whole house fan, utilizing mostly surplus materials--state of the art low tech is my mantra. It was great experience and I look forward to my next one--it's big fun.

My undergrad is in engineering and read voraciously, good with my hands and not afraid to make mistakes.

ps: Depending on where you live, put radon abatement in from the get-go; it cost little then, can be a bitch to retrofit.

Goddamn, dude.... I can barely solder a wire.

Dieseler
01-06-2009, 11:16 PM

Thats impressive.
About the best I can do is a storage shed and fairly decent looking deck work.
You know it about takes an engineer to build a house to code these days.
Theres a lot of different hard learned trade work involved and that learning don't come on one project either.

lucius
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks, it was alot of fun!

tmosley
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Since you don't own any land yet, I would suggest you move to somewhere without building codes. I was lucky enough to find that Lubbock County doesn't have any, and got a nice 2.5 acre stretch four blocks from the city limits. I can build whatever I want out here no problem (and have--put up a 1000sqft steel building a few years ago).

satchelmcqueen
01-07-2009, 06:56 PM
My aunt and uncle built a 10 sided house on the side of a mountain overlooking maryville? TENN. It was for a LONG time powered by a gas generator. They had a really nice wood burning fireplace in the living room. I imagine they got running water, but when I first visited they had to head to a mountain spring to fetch water a few miles away.

that is close to where i live (sort of, north ga.) Ild like to see it one day if possible. im thinking of doing the same type of setup once i start working again.

Bryan
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I have not built a house but I have done framing, roofing, electrical, plumbing, insulation, some HVAC, masonry, windows and doors, various types of flooring, built and installed cabinets, installed kitchens and bathrooms, lighting, drywall, painting and trim moldings. I've also done fencing.

That said I can tell you the following:
- There is no rocket science in it and with reasonable competency and strength you can do it. Some things having a partner really helps.
- There is be a HUGE difference in complexity depending upon if you keep your home simple (think 1950's ranch home) vs. wanting something more fancy (like some of the modern home). What will get you the most is the sheer size of the project-- there is little relation to building a simple one story 400 sq. ft, 1 bath house with 8' ceilings vs. a two story nicely trimmed 3,400 sq. ft., 3.5 bath with 10' ceilings. The 400 sq. ft. house is a LOT of work and it will take you a long time, the 3,400 is beyond daunting for one man.

The following things will help you:
- Experience. The more you have the better quality of work you'll do and the faster you can do it.
- Good tools. Having the right tools can make the difference between a job taking 12 hours vs. 2 hours. Get pro quality for what you use the most.
- Budget for good materials and excess materials. IMO, not being a pro it's worth it to get better quality materials to both make the job easier and to know it will last longer. Excess materials in some cases can allow you to over engineer something to assure long term viability. If you are a pro you can operate on tighter material margins and still come out fine-- the same approach can get a novice in trouble.
- Quality and workmanship is key. Building is one thing, having it last 10, 20, 50+ years is something else entirely. To achieve this you have to have a combination of all the above: know how, experience, good tools and good materials. With poor quality you'll be spending lots of time and money back-fixing your problems.
- Some jobs just aren't worth doing or mistakes can be very costly- so hire a pro.
- You have to have some physical fortitude to do 8+ hour days and understand that not everything is peaches and cream safe. People can get hurt bad doing all kinds of things such as falling off ladders, losing fingers with run-away saws, break wrists driving in bolts, electrocution, falling from roofs and addicts, etc, etc, etc. Be careful and use good safety gear.

My suggestion is to find some friends who could use a hand for some home repair (not hard) and see how you like it. Start to buy some tools and books and keep going as you like it. There are definite rewards and it will save you more and more down the road from not having to call the repair man every time something goes wrong.

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-08-2009, 10:22 AM
nt