PDA

View Full Version : Do college kids vote?

M.Bellmore
09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I was told by someone that it is proven that college kids do not vote, so don't waste your time putting ads in college newspapers. Does anyone have any facts one way or the other to share?

In order to organize my personal funds effectively, would it be better to 1) ads in college newspapers 2) letters to the editor, or 3) ads in regional,town newspapers?

I am looking at the Upper Penisula and lower northern peninsula of Michigan, where there are not any large cities, but the U.P. has 3 universities (1 of which has a student newspaper with a circulation of 6000)

Thanks!

RP4ME
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
If there wereducated on the issues I think teh Rp Freedo train woudl be popular with that age group....I dont see it as a waste - they are passionate eps. at that age and have the time to have the debates and discussions. Many are politivally active - maybe you just need to look at the school and see what there usual activity level is!

I voted in college - for me it was exciting....

angelatc
09-11-2007, 02:56 PM
THey have traditionally not been a large segment of the voting population, especially in the primaries.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/voting.html

Knock yourself out.

im_a_pepper
09-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Ron Paul college kids do =P

McDermit
09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Give them a reason to vote and they will. Ignoring them won't help us win the nomination.. whereas energizing them may.

I've turned a ton of my brother and cousin's friends (aged 18-22) into active RP supporters and got them all registered to vote. Most had not previously voted, and now they're willing to get out in the rain or snow to vote for RP.

Man from La Mancha
09-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Well that college kids might be a little smarter than most sheeple maybe the aholes that were running before weren't wasting ones time on and they knew it. I think you will be surprised that a large numbers in the primaries will come from the 18 to 28 group and college kids. Mark my words. They never had a joice till now. IMO

EvilEngineer
09-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Let me say, as a college student I am damn sure going to be voting and participating in getting future spots on the local and state GOP. Ron Paul is motivating many of us young voters, and the turn out of our meetup groups is evidence of this.

m4ff3w
09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I do.

But I'm a non-traditional student (full time school, full time works, 2 kids + stay @ home mom)

sickmint79
09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
i think if you educate them with what's going on, they will get their asses out to vote... i think there's more young people that are going to vote this election than there has been for quite some time...

ThePieSwindler
09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
hey im a college freshman and ive been a huge ron paul activist since april. :p we have a group of about 45 students on campus, about 5-6 of us have gotten together thus far and done some passing out of literature. People have been VERY receptive thus far. Who knows if theyll get out and vote, but young people DO care about the issues.

DjLoTi
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
The entire image of 'generation' has changed before your eyes...

paulitics
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I am quite pleased to see the huge surge in political activism in young people, and that they are grasping the big picture. Traditionally, the young have always protested the war the most, so its not surprising they find Paul, but Paul is no Democrat and is pretty much at opposite ends of what the public school system indoctrinates our kids with. They are truly embracing the message of individual resonsibility, free market, and individual liberties. I think anyone young or old, who understands this message will be plenty motivated to vote during the primaries. Voting for Barack, will not have that urgency, most kids that support him, do so for superficial reasons.

richard1984
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I was told by someone that it is proven that college kids do not vote, so don't waste your time putting ads in college newspapers. Does anyone have any facts one way or the other to share?

In order to organize my personal funds effectively, would it be better to 1) ads in college newspapers 2) letters to the editor, or 3) ads in regional,town newspapers?

I am looking at the Upper Penisula and lower northern peninsula of Michigan, where there are not any large cities, but the U.P. has 3 universities (1 of which has a student newspaper with a circulation of 6000)

Thanks!

They'll vote for Ron Paul!!!! :D

I know that I am!

It's also easy for college students to vote. There are usually voting booths on college/university campuses.

And besides, we're the younger generation. We just channel Ron Paul naturally/a priori. (At least some--a good many--of us do.)

sickmint79
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
does the public school system really sway people towards democrat? i never felt moved either way, in fact i didn't really know the difference until i started paying attention now. and i would figure students would migrate towards ron... you're taught year after year about great americans in us history, who is standing up and sounding just the same?

M.Bellmore
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Okay, then all you college students ... if you read the student newspaper (do you?) and got a RP flyer, what would get the most attention and use (front&back of a 8 1/2 x 11)?

Founding Fathers (1 side)
Some kind of RP summary (like the WV one) (1 or 1/2 side)
Some kind of candidate comparison chart (1 or 1/2 side)
Sudoku (so you can have something to do in class) (1/2 side)

Other ideas?

G-khan
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
They will vote and they will love being a part of the RP Revolution.. For all you older RP fans just think back when you were 20 or so. I remember Vietnam and that war and the most important part of that time happened on campuses across the nation. They know the current system sucks and things like SS will not be there for them when they get older.

When they believe in something or someone like RP they will vote and they will drag others to vote with them. I wish RP would speak more to students on campus as I think it is very good for him and his chances to win this. They will get out there and vote if they think it may cause some real changes to happen and RP means a real change!

Man from La Mancha
09-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I remember in May of 70 falling a sleep to the smell of tear gas at the OSU riots and only being 18 I couldn't even vote and the fear of getting drafted to be a pawn in some neocomms war. Now you have Ron Paul. Hell yes they are going to vote!!! if they felt as I did then.

Mordechai Vanunu
09-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I do. So will everyone I know who I have convinced to vote for RP.

I am an 11th district Michigan voter.

How is life in the UP?

Okay, then all you college students ... if you read the student newspaper (do you?) and got a RP flyer, what would get the most attention and use (front&back of a 8 1/2 x 11)?

My first choice is something related to the founding fathers. Second choice is a Ron Paul summary.

M.Bellmore
09-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Well actually I live in Petoskey, so not quite in the great white north :cool:

hard@work
09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Pissed off college kids vote. And we got a truckload of them this time around.

G-khan
09-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Pissed off college kids vote. And we got a truckload of them this time around.

I agree this is like back in the Vietnam war only with lots of issues and they are pissed. Ron Paul is for sure a way to vent that anger and they will..