PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul, the War and the Faith of the Christians

wgadget
09-11-2007, 01:14 PM
One thing I notice about RP is that he doesn't wear his faith on his sleeve, but he simply lives it. And that makes me wonder why people like Bill O'Reilly START their interviews with RP by asking him if he's not AFRAID of this, that and the other.

I know fear is a common neocon tactic, but what does that say about all these Christians (and I am one) who buy into those scare tactics? Where is their faith? Why don't they believe, like RP does, that Israel can "take care of herself?" I would even dare ask, if they are so Christian, what about all the verses that say that God is in control of history? Fear is NOT a Christian characteristic, biblically.

Contrast to the faith of the"Islamic terrorists," and it really doesn't look favorable to us Christians.

Just random thoughts...I appreciate Ron Paul more every day.

Phenom24
09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey gadget -

I'm a Christian as well - and I share your sentiment about appreciating RP more every day. My wife and I really love him, my 3 year old son says "Ron Paul rocks" which is awesome - but I'm having SUCH a difficult time breaking through with my church family. I swear they are getting neo-con thinking injected into them intravenously.

I honestly can't imagine a Christian person voting for anyone else. But yet, my church family says things like "Ron Paul is SO out there, and he's dead wrong on the war.." Which literally makes me flip out with hurt and confusion. Someone in another thread said scales have to fall off of their eyes, which is Biblical - and that's what I'm praying for.

jblosser
09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
A lot of American Christians have an inferiority complex that they aren't Hebrews. They want to be God's chosen people. So they pretend they are anyway by declaring the US is the new Israel and comingling Israel's security concerns with ours, whether that's legal under US law (or remotely necessary) or not.

wgadget
09-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I'd love to get out there in the church parking lot and plaster windshields with Paul's Statement of Faith article as well as some choice Chuck Baldwin articles. But I'm a church employee, and I'm usually busy during the service. I guess I could go out for an extended bathroom break.:)

But my car does proudly wear a Ron Paul for President bumper sticker and two smaller Ron Paul Revolution stickers in the side windows. I've handed out literature to selected individuals, probably about 20 in all so far. They definitely know where I stand...

RP4ME
09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Yes - and Id like to know wher ein the Bible it says we have to protect Israel? I have heard big televangelist say ist our duty as a Christian nation to do so....I understand it says that any nation that seeks to destroy Isreal is asking fo rit but I have never read where it says WE must be the ones to do protect her or we are unchristian.....

If someone knows of a verse please elighten.:confused:

Severius
09-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't understand it either. I'm a Christian and I find it obvious looking at Israel's modern history that God's taking care of them, and He isn't going to let anything happen to Israel that he doesn't want. America's involvement is pointless. Even you're not a Christian, it's obvious Israel can take of itself, they've survived many wars before. They have nukes, an army, and an air force. You can't say that about the countries surrounding them.

Phenom24
09-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Gadget - you sound like me - while I'm not on our church's staff, I'm on the board, teach Sunday School, sing in various groups, etc etc..

I have tried to talk to the people on the board, our Pastor, etc - but they regurgitate whatever they heard Hannity say the night before. It breaks my heart.

(It's like sharing the Gospel, I swear)

I put two bumper stickers on my car - I got the one that says "I love my country too much to not support Ron Paul" and another one that mentions giving up security (from Ben Franklin) with Ron Paul 2008 on the bottom...

(as an aside, I ordered stickers for all of my family and also got magnets so they can move them around, etc)

I park my car near the walkway to the side door to church.. It's a start.

I just can't honestly believe people would vote for someone like Fred Thompson over Dr. Paul.. And the only thing they can say is that Dr. Paul sounds like a liberal (or at least he agrees with the Democrats in this case) on the war, which makes him a nut??

Will not give up though - our country's future is worth the effort.

goldenequity
09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I know that a Faith Statement is an important item
to the Evangelicals.... here is a link to a good printable version.

DOWNLOAD/VIEW (http://www.scribd.com/doc/264398/Ron-Paul-Statement-Of-Faith)

I know folks who are doing church parking lots on Sundays.... you can print a side by side slimJim on the back too.

http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/flyers/slimjim.jpg

randy:)

Phenom24
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Yes - and Id like to know wher ein the Bible it says we have to protect Israel? I have heard big televangelist say ist our duty as a Christian nation to do so....I understand it says that any nation that seeks to destroy Isreal is asking fo rit but I have never read where it says WE must be the ones to do protect her or we are unchristian.....

If someone knows of a verse please elighten.:confused:

RP4Me - I don't believe that's a verse in Scripture, but many of the sermons I've heard on the subject basically say that God has blessed our country so much because we are an ally to His chosen people. I'll look for a scripture, but I don't think there is one.

RP4ME
09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Well we can be a blessing in manyy ways - I dony think our agenda there is about blessing isreal....im sure you dont either...I hate that we preach to the choir over hear .....anyway, I think thats being twisted to suit an agenda to be sure and Christains have taken off theri thinking caps ....my pastor led prayer Sunday by saying we are in a long long war with an unrelenting enemy...I want to stand up and interupt him but it didnt happen.....UGH!

apropos
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
You can tell them that military firing squads during the Civil War faced a lot of dissent, because the shooters considered it murder. They were worried about their souls.

Delivered4000
09-11-2007, 02:16 PM
RP4Me - I don't believe that's a verse in Scripture, but many of the sermons I've heard on the subject basically say that God has blessed our country so much because we are an ally to His chosen people. I'll look for a scripture, but I don't think there is one.

The concept of a 'chosen people', whoever they may be, is bogus, repugnant, perverse, and racist.

micahnelson
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
God doesn't deal with nations. Any references to the Old Testament about Old Testament covenants really have no place in a Christian approach to politics.

More over, Israel can defend itself.

More over, Why do christians rail against the excesses of America, Hollywood, "the gays" and whatnot- only to declare our chosen nation status. Its merely doublethink.

Phenom24
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
More over, Why do christians rail against the excesses of America, Hollywood, "the gays" and whatnot- only to declare our chosen nation status. Its merely doublethink.

None that I've heard believe the US is considered as such. Always Israel.

But be that as it may, I think we're all in accord that Israel is no pushover and has always stood up for herself - we're trying to figure out how to get the RP message through the tough outer shell of so many Christians who've been "hannitized"...

barcop
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
The United States is not a Christian country. We owe Israel absolutely nothing.

I owe Israel nothing and will fight to continue that Freedom. If you believe in God then that is your right as a citizen of the United States, but our government has no business protecting the interests of other countries in the name of religion... period.

JMann
09-11-2007, 02:40 PM
My God told me I was the chosen person so the rest of you might as well give in to my superiority and follow the commandments he plans on giving me when I go up to the mountains of NC this weekend.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. It is perfectly fine to have faith in something you can see, hear, feel or touch and not only have faith but to think this being controls you soul for eternity. Hey seems a little out there to me but I know many people that have that belief. The problem arises when you want government policy to be based on your belief.

ronnied
09-11-2007, 03:16 PM
A lot of American Christians have an inferiority complex that they aren't Hebrews. They want to be God's chosen people. So they pretend they are anyway by declaring the US is the new Israel and comingling Israel's security concerns with ours, whether that's legal under US law (or remotely necessary) or not.

They do? News to me.

davidhperry
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I'd love to get out there in the church parking lot and plaster windshields with Paul's Statement of Faith article...

That's a really good idea! I could see myself printing up some slim jims and this statement of faith and going around to the larger churches to place them on windshields - some churches meet in Wednesday nights too.

On the other hand, does stuff like this really work? Have you ever been convinced by something somebody put in your windshield? I can see it going either way.

M.Bellmore
09-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that would probably annoy me, plus make a mess in the parking lot. You could potentially stand outside the entrance and pass them out, or at the exit from the parking lot.