PDA

View Full Version : Fed gov looking at GPS based mileage tax

thomaspaine23
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
You thought it was just Oregon? think again:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090102/ap_on_go_ot/gas_tax

According to a draft of the financing commission's recommendations, the nation needs to move to a new system that taxes motorists according to how much they use roads. While details have not been worked out, such a system would mean equipping every car and truck with a device that uses global positioning satellites and transponders to record how many miles the vehicle has been driven, and perhaps the type of roads and time of day.

Welcome to the matrix everyone.... :rolleyes:

Dequeant
01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Remind me to take that piece out and leave it in my closet. Problem solved.

Matt Collins
01-02-2009, 03:32 PM
This makes no sense!!!! A flat gas tax already charges people for how much they use the road!!!

Matt Collins
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Remind me to take that piece out and leave it in my closet. Problem solved.
Nothing a little tin foil couldn't solve... ever hear of a Faraday cage? :D;)

constitutional
01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
This makes no sense!!!! A flat gas tax already charges people for how much they use the road!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=173934#5

Good copy/paste job. :rolleyes:

RonPaulVolunteer
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
It's amazing how years ago I never would have seen that this had nothing to do with a tax, but was all about tracking every vehicle.

amonasro
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
So what? Remove said GPS and attach it to your nearest Senator's car! Problem solved!

Anti Federalist
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
You people are not getting it.

They have been doing this to commercial fishermen for years, tracking the boat's every move. There will be no disabling the system, since the data stream is real time, you fuck with the transponder or any of it's components and you will be arrested, very quickly.

Police cruisers will be fitted with equipment that will tag any vehicle that does not have an active transponder.

If it's a new vehicle, anything past, say 2005, and certainly any GM product, they don't even have to bother tracking you down, one call to OnStar and the vehicle is shut down remotely.

The next step will be people. Look for this in the next five years as part of carbon footprint tracking.

So whatcha' gonna do now, huh?

Matt Collins
01-02-2009, 08:21 PM
If it's a new vehicle, anything past, say 2005, and certainly any GM product, they don't even have to bother tracking you down, one call to OnStar and the vehicle is shut down remotely.
Did you ever see the movie "Minority Report" ??

There is a scene a hundred years or so into the future where a guy is riding/driving in a car and the police are searching for him. After a few minutes the car automatically shuts down and pulls off to the side with a voice that says "please wait here to be arrested; the police will be here shortly"

Anti Federalist
01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Did you ever see the movie "Minority Report" ??

There is a scene a hundred years or so into the future where a guy is riding/driving in a car and the police are searching for him. After a few minutes the car automatically shuts down and pulls off to the side with a voice that says "please wait here to be arrested; the police will be here shortly"

I never saw it, but know the basic plot and premise. I suppose I should get around to it. :D

It won't take a 100 years, the ability to do that exists right now.

And it won't take a 100 years for this to be used on people.

That technology already exists and is being used right now as well.

Question is, what are we prepared to do about it?