PDA

View Full Version : Told you so: Southern Republican politicians would embrace stimulous

spotics
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Some of you said southern GOP politicians would fight Obama's stimulus, but I insisted they would embrace it as long as they got their share.

http://www.wkyx.com/local-news-details.asp?NewsID=9700

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell is preaching patience when the incoming Congress crafts a new stimulus plan aimed at revving the nation's stalled economy. The Kentucky senator agrees that government has a role in helping the economy. But he's cautioning against a fast-track plan that Democrats hope to have ready when President-elect Barack Obama takes office January 20th. McConnell told The Associated Press Democrats are talking about spending an enormous amount of money. He says Congress needs to make sure the plan is carefully thought out. McConnell has been pushing for a GOP role in shaping the stimulus package amid a faltering U.S. economy. Debate on the stimulus package is expected to take center stage when Congress convenes.

speciallyblend
01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
add to the list of corrupt politicans that would sell their own souls!!!

tremendoustie
01-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Some of you said southern GOP politicians would fight Obama's stimulous, but I insisted they would embrace it as long as they got their share.

http://www.wkyx.com/local-news-details.asp?NewsID=9700

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell is preaching patience when the incoming Congress crafts a new stimulus plan aimed at revving the nation's stalled economy. The Kentucky senator agrees that government has a role in helping the economy. But he's cautioning against a fast-track plan that Democrats hope to have ready when President-elect Barack Obama takes office January 20th. McConnell told The Associated Press Democrats are talking about spending an enormous amount of money. He says Congress needs to make sure the plan is carefully thought out. McConnell has been pushing for a GOP role in shaping the stimulus package amid a faltering U.S. economy. Debate on the stimulus package is expected to take center stage when Congress convenes.

Gawd, the same old my plan to take us down the crapper vs. your plan to take us down the crapper, then fighting over credit for taking us down the crapper.

So much for that southern GOP rebellion. :(

lodge939
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Why doesn't Shelby challenge McConnell? I think he has a shot considering McConnell barely kept his seat in '08

SWATH
01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
McConnell has got to go. Lundsford didn't take him down (and he wouldn't have been any better anyways). Sonny Landem screwed the pooch on the Libertarian ticket. I wish we had somebody with the right stuff and the willingness to take him down, but we don't right now. He should be top of the list for removal from office. I've received letters from his office laced with so much bullshit I asked the mailman to place them in the compost instead of the postbox.

spotics
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Why doesn't Shelby challenge McConnell? I think he has a shot considering McConnell barely kept his seat in '08

Since McConnell has been leader in waiting since 06, the Republicans have lost 13 (maybe 14 depending on the MN recount) yet the Republican senators keep electing him their leader. I suspect it has more to do with his ability to raise money than it does winning elections and retaking the majority.

spotics
01-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I've received letters from his office laced with so much bullshit I asked the mailman to place them in the compost instead of the postbox.

It just shows you McConnell doesn't give a rats ass what we think. When he had a rough re-election campaign, he still had the nerve to disconnect his phones on the day of the bailout vote.

I've often asked people why they vote for McConnell, and they usually say it's because his leadership position allows him to bring money back to Kentucky. I guess they'll get that if he supports the stimulus.

slacker921
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Umm.. they supported a stimulus program last Summer - Bush and McCain and most of the Republicans all supported a redistribution of wealth via stimulus checks. The checks only went to the middle and lower income taxpayers. So why wouldn't the Republicans support a stimulus this time around??

The funny thing is.. most of the stimulus this time around will be in the form of "infrastructure" programs so many of the beneficiaries will be the owners of large construction companies who will profit from the road, bridge, etc building.

torchbearer
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
The congressional GOP of Louisiana are former democrats. 'Nuff' said.

spotics
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
The funny thing is.. most of the stimulus this time around will be in the form of "infrastructure" programs so many of the beneficiaries will be the owners of large construction companies who will profit from the road, bridge, etc building.

And I'm sure the companies chosen will be the ones whose owners are giving money to politicians.