PDA

View Full Version : RP Oil Painting...what do you think?

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Here is my latest work....an oil painting of Ron Paul(inspired by a picture). I hope you like it.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/user/enjoiskaterguy/pic.jpg

The One
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
You made my hero look like he has Down's Syndrome.:(

lodge939
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
good painting skills...but you picked a horrible photo to copy

sidster

lulz!

you mean fooker... :D

I actually like the painting! Vedy vedy nice!

StudentForPaul08

aww be nice! lol

I like it. I like the hair the most and i like the eyes the least.

Kludge
12-31-2008, 05:10 PM

:confused: Referring to the bags under his eyes? I like it. It's pretty flattering given how old he's starting to look, but doesn't go overboard in trying to make him appear young, IMO. (However, I almost failed basic art in high school)

MRoCkEd
12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
I think the eyes are wrong

purplechoe
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
aww be nice! lol

In that case I won't say anything...

nice try though

Kludge
12-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Bah... Everybody's a critic, and yet somehow this "Ron Paul Revolution Rap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9DyXRNJPQ)" got 4/5 stars.

dannno
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
I think it's great!

I'd consider buying it..

But I still had to do this...

http://i44.tinypic.com/zilymp.jpg

Don't worry, you should see the glove :D

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2008, 05:23 PM
It could use more value complexity in the lips and around the eyes, but otherwise pretty good. You should now do a cubist variation and a Florentine (that is, the style of Florence, Italy) style variation.

RonPaulwillWin
12-31-2008, 06:24 PM
looks like he's saying "misconstrued"

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks for the critique and recommendations. I guess Ron Paul people don't beat around the bush when it comes to art and they really say how they feel unlike other people I have showed it too that just say things like "thats good" or "looks nice". I have tried to complete it to the best of my abilities. It was my 2nd attempt at a portrait. I'm not sure if I want to work on it more given the already long hours spent on it and waiting for it to dry and such...

I liked that edited picture with the glove...it does look like he is getting punched.

I'll probably do another one in the future...next one in color.

The One
12-31-2008, 06:48 PM
thanks for the critique and recommendations. I guess Ron Paul people don't beat around the bush when it comes to art and they really say how they feel unlike other people I have showed it too that just say things like "thats good" or "looks nice". I have tried to complete it to the best of my abilities. It was my 2nd attempt at a portrait. I'm not sure if I want to work on it more given the already long hours spending on it and waiting for it to dry and such...

I liked that edited picture with the glove...it does look like he is giving punched.

Though I was a dickhead, I must say that it's a helluva lot better than anything I could even come close to doing. I could barely draw a stick figure of Ron Paul.

yongrel
12-31-2008, 06:49 PM
I like it, but the eyes are out of proportion. I wish I could paint like that. I can still remember missing recess because I refused to draw normally.

NerveShocker
12-31-2008, 06:49 PM
It looks like you have good skills at this but you choose a difficult picture in my opinion. Keep up the good work though you'll only get better.

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 06:54 PM
It looks like you have good skills at this but you choose a difficult picture in my opinion. Keep up the good work though you'll only get better.

thanks....thats what I love about painting...I'll get better and better. I just ordered this Wacom drawing tablet so I can paint on my computer with Photoshop or Coral Painter.

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
there is a couple of replies about the eyes....if I were to change them up a little bit, do you guys think it would bring the painting together better and capture the essence of what is Ron Paul?

LibertyEagle
12-31-2008, 06:58 PM
His nose is kinda wrong too. I say that, but you should know that stick figures are the extent of my artistic talents. :)

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2008, 07:00 PM
I like it, but the eyes are out of proportion. I wish I could paint like that. I can still remember missing recess because I refused to draw normally.

Picasso refused to draw normally too. ;)

tangent4ronpaul
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
there is a couple of replies about the eyes....if I were to change them up a little bit, do you guys think it would bring the painting together better and capture the essence of what is Ron Paul?

Yes - one is slightly larger than the other and they look like they are focused on different points - ie: just slightly cross-eyed.

Also, take a look at the shadow and lack of same on his left temple (your right) - that looks weird compared to the shadows on the rest of his face.

Over all - not bad! - not bad at all! - wish I had your talent!

-t

slantedview
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
awesome painting! i agree with some others, you could have picked a better photo to render, but the painting itself is amazing. great work.

kathy88
12-31-2008, 07:33 PM
I think it's excellent. I wish I had your talent.

Natalie
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Amazing, amazing...

slantedview
12-31-2008, 07:51 PM
just wanted to post this in case you still haven't decided on your next painting - this is my favorite ron paul "picture". maybe you can add more life to it:

http://files.meetup.com/502939/Ron%20Paul%20face%20Stencil.jpg

and another nice drawing - this type of angle would look awesome on canvas

http://www.sirberus.com/ronpaul/ron-paul_47.jpg

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Yes - one is slightly larger than the other and they look like they are focused on different points - ie: just slightly cross-eyed.

Also, take a look at the shadow and lack of same on his left temple (your right) - that looks weird compared to the shadows on the rest of his face.

Over all - not bad! - not bad at all! - wish I had your talent!

-t

Great!...I thought getting people to look at it would help me be able to maybe touch it up a little. The paint is still wet so I think I will go back and enlarge the right eye(my left) of his face and take a look at the shadowing of the temple and nose as well.

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 07:57 PM
just wanted to post this in case you still haven't decided on your next painting - this is my favorite ron paul "picture". maybe you can add more life to it:

http://files.meetup.com/502939/Ron%20Paul%20face%20Stencil.jpg

that is also my favorite picture....maybe I could do that and create some vibrant color scheme around the face....maybe red-white-blue...I really don't know or put some quotes around the face. I am really into realistic painting thought, but I could break off and do somthing less stressful and a little more fun....everyone's a critic when it comes to photo-realism of the human form don'tcha know? I think it would do me good to do a characterization of Dr. Paul next. I'll start brainstorming.

Deborah K
12-31-2008, 08:00 PM
I think you are very talented. I wouldn't have picked that picture though, it's not a very flattering one of Ron Paul. May I ask why you picked that one?

AdamT
12-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Great detail there, excellent job.

Deborah K
12-31-2008, 08:06 PM
My favorite picture of Ron Paul - it's with me!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/n62g4i.jpg

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 08:08 PM
I think you are very talented. I wouldn't have picked that picture though, it's not a very flattering one of Ron Paul. May I ask why you picked that one?

Thanks! It took quite a while to complete. I choose this picture because I thought it was challenging...The angle in which Dr. Paul is positioned I figured would be hard to paint and it turned out it was. I also like that lighting of his face in the picture as well. As flattering goes, I don't think Dr. Paul looks too strange in the photo. I had also never really done a portrait before where I focused on it for a long period of time and thought I might try it...I do have other photos printed up of Dr. Paul that I will also paint in oils....next one will be a picture of him smiling I think and in color.

Dustancostine
12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Are you selling or keeping.

Either way it is nice.

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
My favorite picture of Ron Paul - it's with me!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/n62g4i.jpg

Thats cool that you got to take a picture with him...he was pretty pressed for time too. I was there that day...it was great.

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Are you selling or keeping.

Either way it is nice.

I might touch it up a bit and then maybe make prints and sell them....I am trying to build a nice portfolio of art though so I can get an art scholarship and into a nice school. I would sell the original if someone made me a nice offer...like some gold or silver.

Deborah K
12-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Were you? Did I meet you? I was one of the organizers of the march. Very glad you went. It was HOT that day. I look like crap in the picture but I love the way he is looking at me! I love this picture! :D He's one of my heroes!

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Were you? Did I meet you? I was one of the organizers of the march. Very glad you went. It was HOT that day. I look like crap in the picture but I love the way he is looking at me! I love this picture! :D He's one of my heroes!

no I did not meet you..I did know that you were a big online organizer through the forums though...some lady actually fainted when Ron was talking behind me because it was so hot. He is a hero to a lot of people, including myself too.

angelatc
12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks for the critique and recommendations. I guess Ron Paul people don't beat around the bush when it comes to art and they really say how they feel unlike other people I have showed it too that just say things like "thats good" or "looks nice". I have tried to complete it to the best of my abilities. It was my 2nd attempt at a portrait. I'm not sure if I want to work on it more given the already long hours spent on it and waiting for it to dry and such...

I liked that edited picture with the glove...it does look like he is getting punched.

I love it the painting! I have no art skills, and I have no doubt that our 7th grade art teacher passed me only because she felt sorry for me. Something about "lollipop trees" sticks in my mind.

Anybody who can do what you did there has my utmost respect and admiration!

If you're doing homages to the European Masters, you can paint me a Van Gogh version!

There was a guy in Chicago who painted Ron Paul too. I had his site bookmarked, but lost it when I moved.

angelatc
12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow Deb,

You look so much like my good friend in Indiana that I literally had to convince myself that you weren't Annette. (And if you are Annette, your hair looks much better long!)

enjoiskaterguy
12-31-2008, 08:23 PM
I have seen other Ron Paul paintings too...Some have been great. My favorite painter to date is John Constable.....he was a landscape painter out of Great Britain.

here's an example of his work....

http://www.artknowledgenews.com/files/JohnConstableTheWhiteHorse.jpg

Deborah K
12-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow Deb,

You look so much like my good friend in Indiana that I literally had to convince myself that you weren't Annette. (And if you are Annette, your hair looks much better long!)

LOL! I get that a lot. I must have a common face. :D Is she old? I'm pushing 50. hehe

Deborah K
12-31-2008, 08:26 PM
That is a beautiful picture, skaterguy. I wanna live in that painting.

angelatc
12-31-2008, 08:30 PM
No, she isn't old! She's a little past 50.

Deborah K
12-31-2008, 08:36 PM
No, she isn't old! She's a little past 50.

I like the way you think! ;)

tangent4ronpaul
12-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes, landscapes are wonderful...

But I like them with a more modern edge...

http://www.saardrimer.com/pics/banksy_england.jpg

http://timpanogos.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/banksy-israels-wall-77721975_fda236f91a.jpg

http://www.banksy.co.uk/indoors/02_2.html

http://www.banksy.co.uk/shop/images/shop%20large/plate01.jpg

And of course I didn't find the one I was really looking for... :(

-t

sidster
12-31-2008, 10:09 PM
I might touch it up a bit and then maybe make prints and sell them....I am trying to build a nice portfolio of art though so I can get an art scholarship and into a nice school. I would sell the original if someone made me a nice offer...like some gold or silver.

personally i would not touch it based on comments on here.
i think it looks great. eyes don't need to be proportional, not
everyone's eyes are anyway.

As the creator of the art, it is up to you to figure out when it
is done. if you feel that it is done, then it is. further mucking
with it will not improve things if you felt it was already complete.

I was thinking of making an offer on it, but i don't have any
gold to trade. only fiat money :D

seriously it looks great as is!

yaz
12-31-2008, 10:57 PM
lol @ his missing eyebrow. good job

Original_Intent
12-31-2008, 11:06 PM
personally i would not touch it based on comments on here.
i think it looks great. eyes don't need to be proportional, not
everyone's eyes are anyway.

As the creator of the art, it is up to you to figure out when it
is done. if you feel that it is done, then it is. further mucking
with it will not improve things if you felt it was already complete.

I was thinking of making an offer on it, but i don't have any
gold to trade. only fiat money :D

seriously it looks great as is!

I agree.

My first impression of it was that it was really well done. then I started reading critiques and kinda agreeing with some of them.

I have done some decent pencil sketches (I consider decent when most people can tell who they are if it is someone well known) but nowhere near your talent.

I honestly think that art is for the artist, screw everyone else!

wgadget
01-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Slightly off topic, but...MY GOD, did anyone see Dick Clark last night???

I seriously thought it was a SNL parody.

pacelli
01-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Excuse me for breaking the ranks of the faceless firing squad, but I honestly have a difficult time believing that this is your 2nd portrait-- it looks like you've been painting portraits for years. I couldn't produce something half as organized. Trying to duplicate a photo is one thing, but you have obviously given an artistic interpretation of the photo. I say don't stop painting, and, great job!

lucius
01-01-2009, 10:43 AM
done well; you have talent! keep painting--don't want to be just another left-brain slave.

DeadheadForPaul
01-01-2009, 06:50 PM
You clearly have skills but you picked a TERRIBLE picture to use as an example

tonesforjonesbones
01-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I love the painting and i wish I had your talent and skill. Everything I do is whimsical..I agree with the several posters who said it's up to the interpretation of the artist. Can you imagine what would come about if Picasso painted a portrait of Ron Paul?? He sold his art for millions..great job. I'd like to see more of your work. Tones (If I'd wanted it to be exact...I would just go to a copy machine)

Furthermore, I think laymen observe art as they listen to music. They think a song is good if it sounds exactly like the original recording. (from a perspective of a "cover band"). I rarely do a song exactly like the original artist ..because I am an interpretor of songs/music...I might phrase it differently or use a different "feel". If they want it to sound exactly like the recording..they might as well just get a juke box. Tones

tonesforjonesbones
01-01-2009, 08:38 PM
How the heck do you add a photo? tones

enjoiskaterguy
01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, landscapes are wonderful...

But I like them with a more modern edge...

http://www.saardrimer.com/pics/banksy_england.jpg

http://timpanogos.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/banksy-israels-wall-77721975_fda236f91a.jpg

http://www.banksy.co.uk/indoors/02_2.html

And of course I didn't find the one I was really looking for... :(

-t

these are GREAT....whose the artist???

enjoiskaterguy
01-02-2009, 08:37 PM
done well; you have talent! keep painting--don't want to be just another left-brain slave.

Well...I'm left handed....lefties use the right side of the brain.....pun intended.

Cowlesy
01-02-2009, 08:37 PM

hahahaha --- I can imagine this

enjoiskaterguy
01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Excuse me for breaking the ranks of the faceless firing squad, but I honestly have a difficult time believing that this is your 2nd portrait-- it looks like you've been painting portraits for years. I couldn't produce something half as organized. Trying to duplicate a photo is one thing, but you have obviously given an artistic interpretation of the photo. I say don't stop painting, and, great job!

this is my 2nd Oil portrait...I have been doing pencil drawings and paintings before but not very many portraits. thanks for the compliments.

Cowlesy
01-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I think it is terrific. I agree with the comments about the eyes, but you have a bright future ahead in artistry.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
nt

tangent4ronpaul
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
these are GREAT....whose the artist???

Banksy - he's better known as a graffiti artist (Internationally known - and his stuff ROCKS!)

-t

johnrocks
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I think it's great, I wish I had your artistic talent.