PDA

View Full Version : Pay Per Mile

Fox McCloud
12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
How Ironic, I was just talking about this:

Electric cars and other fuel-efficient vehicles certainly have plenty going for them, but all that reduction in fuel consumption also has the side effect of reducing the money earned from gas taxes, which has prompted folks like Oregon governor Ted Kulongoski to turn to some some alternative solutions to keep those funds rolling in. In the case of Oregon, Governor Kulongoski is proposing a mileage tax that would eventually replace the gas tax altogether, and make use of GPS units to determine just how far each person travels and bill them accordingly (Oregon is proposing a 1.2 cent per mile tax). To assuage privacy concerns, that information would apparently only be collected when the driver fuels up, and actual travel information supposedly wouldn't be tracked. Obviously, that system would only work if everyone had a GPS, so the governor is proposing an increase in the standard gas tax in the interim, with drivers already equipped with a GPS unit eligible for a refund on the taxes paid. All of this also still has to pass the Oregon legislature to become law, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that the state broke with convention.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/31/oregon-governor-looking-at-gps-based-mileage-tax-to-fund-roads/

yuck....ditch the GPS and figure out another way to do this, and I'd be ok with it...but with that tracking ability? Forget it.

Ironic though, those who make their own fuel will still avoid the tax altogether *chuckles*....and the rare times they do have to fill up (winter), the bill will probably be very very large "hmm, wow Mr. Jones, 16,530 miles since your last fuel-up....what the heck kind of mileage are you getting out of that thing?"

Kludge
12-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Gas tax is a lame and inaccurate attempt at a user fee. Toll major roads. Better yet, privatize them.

acptulsa
12-31-2008, 03:12 PM
There has been a thread running about this subject for days and days.

satchelmcqueen
12-31-2008, 11:28 PM
how about just leave us the hell alone and let us be free in travel like the constitution talks about???

Ex Post Facto
01-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Sure I'll pay for mileage the moment they pay for my car, gas, hotel rooms, and snack food when I decide to drive my vehicle.

mrsat_98
01-04-2009, 04:11 PM
This will create the biggest black market since Satellite Descramblers.

Standing Like A Rock
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Gas tax is a lame and inaccurate attempt at a user fee. Toll major roads. Better yet, privatize them.

bingo

angelatc
01-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I think the Libertarians believe in user fees. Charging the cost of roads based on mileage seems to be a step in the right direction. However, the state governments can't be trusted to administer the money properly. That's why it should be privatized - otherwise they'll spend every nickel as fast as they can earn it and there won't be money left to pay for the roads when needed.

phill4paul
01-04-2009, 07:23 PM

Sure I think the guv'ment should get a cut if I chose to loop the loop on my private road.:p:D