PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers need for 10 minutes today to help Nation MeetUp Coordination Database

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Any volunteers?

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Any volunteers. Come on its 10 minutes.

LibertyEagle
09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Is this the same effort that the guy who runs Ron Paul Audio is backing?

mdh
09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't think Mr. Essex is involved with Randy's effort (Randy = goldenequity = ronpaulaudio guy). I am working with Randy on this effort, which is called ronpaulDUGG.com. I think goldenequity will probably post a message explaining how the system works pretty soon, BUT... if you want to get a head up and see the insider info, you can read http://www.ronpauldugg.com/

Mr. Essex, are you gathering this contact info for us? :)

American
09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I just sent off an email to you, I can help

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 11:00 AM
While they work on the programming, I am proactively trying to build the list.

Sematary
09-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi,

Once Again, I am working with several members on this board to gather the names and e-mails of the MeetUp coordinators around the country. We are up to about 50.

Since Meetup only allows us to send 12 e-mails a day, we need help reaching out to the different leaders. The task is simple.

1. Email me at rivingtonessex@gmail.com
2. I will send you a list of 12 names
3. Send a message to the 12 names asking for their e-mail and name and phone. (it is an opt-in list)
4. Compile the list and send it back to me.
5. Repleat tomorrow.

If you would like to help please e-mail me now. Rivingtonessex@gmail.com

I know there have been other efforts in the past (and much mud slinging). Last night a new MeetUp leader pled for help to organize her first group. Our plan is to share best practices, makes sure people in regions know each other, and share Meetup ideas that work. I am gathering that information from this forum, and from MeetUp leaders as they respond to me.

For example, Tulsa has has great luck with gun owners at gun shows. New York has had great responses when we say "Ron Paul beat Rudy at xyz." it will be a fluid process with constant improvement and openess. What I want to work on now is ideas for a recruitment drive. Trust me, there are more MeetUp leaders NOT on this forum than currently on it. One of the first things is to point them here.

We can win this. In a post last week, I pointed out that Ron Paul was a bit behind Howard Dean at the same point in the race. Since 9/7/2007 Ron Paul has attracted 878 people to MeetUps. We need to get from 40,000 to 140,000 in the next 3 months to equal Deans effort. We got a bump from the debate, now we need to keep that momentum.

If you would like to help, please e-mail me now at rivingtonessex@gmail.com

While you're waiting for more - how about passing along the petition for the Philadelphia rally to everyone on your mailing list and ask them to disseminate the information to their groups?

http://www.petitiononline.com/Phrally/petition.html

mdh
09-11-2007, 11:09 AM
While they work on the programming, I am proactively trying to build the list.

You can register here.

http://ronpaul4president.org/nationalcontactlist.html

But from my informal poll, only about 25% of MeetUp leasders are on this forum. We need to be proactive.

We Can Win.

Any volunteers. I have it set up easy to do. It takes 4 clicks to send a message.

OK. I'm doing the database/systems work. We're also looking for another web programmer or two!

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Programmers who can help: Get in touch with mdh or goldenequity

mdh
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Once we have the several lists, we'll need some data entry techs to put them into the master database, too. :p

We are getting existing lists from some other projects/etc.

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Come on, I need a few more volunteers.

10 minutes seriously.

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 12:37 PM
5 people have volunteered. I am on MeetUp group 178. Only 700 more to go.

Can anyone help here. It takes 10 minutes.

goldenequity
09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Yes, anyone that can send off a few emails a day helps GREATLY in this effort
This is a single collaborative project to (finally) build a Meetup contact list.
Much thanks to Matt (mdh) and Brad (Rivington Essex).

The meetup email block strangles communication and we can overcome that obstacle with a little effort. Would you consider helping to crack this nut?:eek:
Here (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/Dugg Outline.pdf)is a .pdf describing the effort.

Matt has lots of Bandwidth for the site and
We need to find two good web programmers.
Mod_Perl, Perl CGI, Mod_Ruby, Ruby CGI, C CGI, PHP... all are the best choices for a development language for www.ronpauldugg.com

Thanks...we'd like to finish this by month's end...we can do it!
randy:)

Roxi
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
email sent

goldenequity
09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
email sent

THX!! Rox:)

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Bump

Help out, it literally takes you a few minutes. I'm the biggest techno dunce here, but even I can fire off a pre-packaged email.

goldenequity
09-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Bump

Help out, it literally takes you a few minutes. I'm the biggest techno dunce here, but even I can fire off a pre-packaged email.

That's too funny...... it's amazing what ron paul has "made" me do..... I literally knew NOTHING about making a web page.... I knew how to surf them.
Then my brain became "unwashed" by repeated doses of Ron Paul interviews and speeches. I started recording them to mp3. I wanted to spread the word.

I found an online program for idiots.... a "how do I make a web page".
I made a page with one sentence on it in NOTEPAD.
Damn..."I can DO this!!!" Techno dunce goes to kindergarten.
All I used was notepad... and kept going (I know, I know...it LOOKS like it...heh heh)
Anyway that's the story of ronpaulaudio.

Use what you got... don't EVER give up.... hang on to good friends.... and make new ones! Thanks to all helping with rpdugg!

angelatc
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
email sent

BLS
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi,

Once Again, I am working with several members on this board to gather the names and e-mails of the MeetUp coordinators around the country. We are up to about 50.

Since Meetup only allows us to send 12 e-mails a day, we need help reaching out to the different leaders. The task is simple.

3. Send a message to the 12 names asking for their e-mail and name and phone. (it is an opt-in list)
5. Repleat tomorrow.

If you would like to help please e-mail me now. Rivingtonessex@gmail.com

I know there have been other efforts in the past (and much mud slinging). Last night a new MeetUp leader pled for help to organize her first group. Our plan is to share best practices, makes sure people in regions know each other, and share Meetup ideas that work. I am gathering that information from this forum, and from MeetUp leaders as they respond to me.

For example, Tulsa has has great luck with gun owners at gun shows. New York has had great responses when we say "Ron Paul beat Rudy at xyz." it will be a fluid process with constant improvement and openess. What I want to work on now is ideas for a recruitment drive. Trust me, there are more MeetUp leaders NOT on this forum than currently on it. One of the first things is to point them here.

We can win this. In a post last week, I pointed out that Ron Paul was a bit behind Howard Dean at the same point in the race. Since 9/7/2007 Ron Paul has attracted 878 people to MeetUps. We need to get from 40,000 to 140,000 in the next 3 months to equal Deans effort. We got a bump from the debate, now we need to keep that momentum.

If you would like to help, please e-mail me now at rivingtonessex@gmail.com

Brad, you have mail.

Chris

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
bump

mdh
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
We need some web programmers, too!

Mod_Perl, Perl CGI, Mod_Ruby, Ruby CGI, C CGI, PHP

Help us out! This idea is going supernova, but we need some development love.

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
UPDATE: So far I am up to about 80 names and 15 volunteers. And seriously folks, it has taken most people about 10 minutes. 3 clicks and a paste.

----------------------------------------

Programmers who can help: Get in touch with mdh or goldenequity

People with 10 minutes to help: E-mail me. I have it down to 4 clicks to send a message using MeetUp and Excel. Its easy. Come on...

RonFan1776
09-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Thank you for the opportunity to help!

It was SO EASY to do this! Literally just click, click, Ctrl-V, click "Send!"

It was also very encouraging to see all of the blurbs and photos on the Meetup groups that are out there!

mdh
09-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Wow, this is an awesome initiative! We should all totally get involved! *shill bump ftw*

Rivington Essex
09-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks

mdh
09-11-2007, 06:33 PM
By the way, I know all of the West Virginia ones, so don't worry about those Brad.

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Guys come on. We should be able to get this done tonight. Rivington Essex and MDH are good folk, this is a legit project, and needs to get completed ASAP. It literally takes 10minutes.

blazin_it_alwyz
09-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I just sent off an email to you, I can help

dude change your icon, making me think of bad thoughts ......

:)

Kurt_In_Florida
09-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I think it's great that we're finally getting organized, but before you spend any time setting up web sites, web pages and databases, you might want to be aware that we've been working on a National Contact List for over three months. See http://ronpaul4president.org/NCL_map.html

Not only are we building a National Contact List, but we have been sending out automated notices of events for about a month now. For those of you who have had the National Campaign training, we have a project in the works that will give you a HUGE boost - Ron Paul Business Connections. Another project in the works will enable communications in a way that meetup can not. Share your thoughts on Special Interest Groups and Campaign Slogans. (These pages have only been up for one day - but already we're getting good input.) SIGS are VERY important, while campaign slogans give you a chance to be purely creative.
http://ronpaul4president.org/strategicplanning/tiki-index.php?page=Special+Interest+Groups
http://ronpaul4president.org/strategicplanning/tiki-index.php?page=Campaign+Slogan+Contest

So drop by, check it out, sign up and start receiving Ron Paul Events information and get notification as each of the other tools comes on line.

By the way, we currently have 109 coordinators and assistant coordinators signed up for the National Contact List and hope that number will be increasing rapidly.

Incidentally, we do NOT add people to the list. We email them and invite them to join. If they choose not to sign up, that's okay.

We also try to keep the list email to a minimum, usually with Ron Paul Events mailings on Wednesdays and (in process) state-level newsletter mailings on Mondays.

Thanks for reading...

Kurt

LibertyEagle
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Kurt,

The purpose of this list is so we will be able to contact the Meetup coordinators for select events or initiatives, such as ads. Is your website going to enable us to send emails out to the coordinators?

mdh
09-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I think it's great that we're finally getting organized, but before you spend any time setting up web sites, web pages and databases, you might want to be aware that we've been working on a National Contact List for over three months. See http://ronpaul4president.org/NCL_map.html

Not only are we building a National Contact List, but we have been sending out automated notices of events for about a month now. For those of you who have had the National Campaign training, we have a project in the works that will give you a HUGE boost - Ron Paul Business Connections. Another project in the works will enable communications in a way that meetup can not. Share your thoughts on Special Interest Groups and Campaign Slogans. (These pages have only been up for one day - but already we're getting good input.) SIGS are VERY important, while campaign slogans give you a chance to be purely creative.
http://ronpaul4president.org/strategicplanning/tiki-index.php?page=Special+Interest+Groups
http://ronpaul4president.org/strategicplanning/tiki-index.php?page=Campaign+Slogan+Contest

So drop by, check it out, sign up and start receiving Ron Paul Events information and get notification as each of the other tools comes on line.

By the way, we currently have 109 coordinators and assistant coordinators signed up for the National Contact List and hope that number will be increasing rapidly.

Incidentally, we do NOT add people to the list. We email them and invite them to join. If they choose not to sign up, that's okay.

We also try to keep the list email to a minimum, usually with Ron Paul Events mailings on Wednesdays and (in process) state-level newsletter mailings on Mondays.

Thanks for reading...

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
Our goals seem somewhat different, so we are not going to slow down in pursuing ours, and would not suggest that you do so either. What we would ask is if you'd be interested in sharing your data set with us so that we can save that much time with our volunteers contacting those same folks. What we are building is ronpauldugg.com, a digg-like system allowing the grassroots to send emails by having a critical mass of diggs for an event, idea, proposal, or request. This gives absolute control over the system and the content sent to people to the community, rather than requiring any centralized control structure to decide what information goes to who and when.

mdh
09-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Kurt,

The purpose of this list is so we will be able to contact the Meetup coordinators for select events or initiatives, such as ads. Is your website going to enable us to send emails out to the coordinators?

Ron Paul DUGG goes way beyond just meetup organizers, though. There'll be lots of categories - one of my proposals for a category was folks who had reached their $2300 limit for the PCC and wanted to learn about exciting opportunities to donate to good causes. :)

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Guys can you please contact rivingtonessex@gmail.com and request a batch of people to contact?

I've sent out about 70 contacts so far...we could actually hit each freakin' meetup group if a few of you can man-up and send some emails.

It's uber-simple...and if I think it's simple, it's SIMPLE.

We should get this done this evening, no questions. Just get it done.

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
bump

Cowlesy
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
bump

aknappjr
09-12-2007, 03:49 AM
I'll help. What kind of response have you been getting?

Cowlesy
09-12-2007, 06:10 AM
bump

Kurt_In_Florida
09-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Kurt,

The short answer is, "yes".

The longer answer...

When people sign up, they identify themselves as coordinators, assistant coordinators or active supporters. The initial purpose of the email function was to get around the (loathesome) meetup email limitiations (3 groups per day, etc.). The idea was to put communications on a locality basis - you could contact other RP supporters in your area regardless of what group they belonged to.

I have also been planning to add "channels" for specific functions that people could subscribe to based on interest, but not limited to locality. One such channel might be "meetup coordinators", but I expect there will be other channels as well.

The list has been growing rapidly in recent weeks. I've gotten lots of positive feedback on Ron Paul Events and those who have used Advokit and Calls for Paul appear to prefer the latter. I make an effort to ensure that the emailings are low-volume. Ron Paul Events is sent automatically once per week. I'm currently planning the best way to put out newsletters on a weekly basis to facilitate state-level coordination for the National Volunteer Campaign.

We learned a lot in the Campaign 101 Course taught last weekend by Anita Andrews. (We had 122 people show up!) Turns out there are some things we were doing that were essentially a waste of time and resources, while there were other critical things that were being completely ignored. It was a shock to most of us, but on reflection, the logic was inescapable.

I hope to provide tools to help state and county coordinators execute the National campaign plan (hopefully saving them LOTS of time and effort).

K.

goldenequity
09-12-2007, 06:36 AM
I'll help. What kind of response have you been getting?

Generally organizers understand the need and want to help the project.
Responses often need a question or two answered..... the process and response gains momentum as the list is growing larger.

The more the merrier....(i.e. the bigger the happier (to help):) )

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Have you tried the National Organizers Meetup?

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/511/?gj=sj3

Theoretically, that is supposed to include the organizers for all the Meetups, but with only 104 members, the word has obviously not gotten out.

I am pretty sure my 25 contacts have been used, but will have to check to see if I've been given new chits.

Best idea would be to get all the organizers on the Organizers meetup so y'all don't have to go through this every time.

mdh
09-12-2007, 09:04 AM

Theoretically, that is supposed to include the organizers for all the Meetups, but with only 104 members, the word has obviously not gotten out.

I am pretty sure my 25 contacts have been used, but will have to check to see if I've been given new chits.

Best idea would be to get all the organizers on the Organizers meetup so y'all don't have to go through this every time.

Meetup #560 is a national group as well. We'll ping them for subscribers once the DUGG system is functional. Until then, we're focusing mostly on getting a development team together to write the code, and on gathering several key comprehensive lists. We won't have to go through it ever again, and since the whole DUGG system is community driven and allows anyone to submit ideas and requests, neither will anyone else! :)

sunny
09-12-2007, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Rivington Essex;181115]Hi,

5. Repleat tomorrow.

just sent you an e

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Actually, http://ronpaul.meetup.com/511/ - The National Organizers Meetup Group, has a very narrow charter - to form short lived coalitions around specific events that hold a disproportional effect on getting Ron Paul elected and for major announcements. It's supposed to be and is very low traffic.

It's sister group is on Yahoo: RPMeetupOrganizers and is where Meetup Organizers get together to chat and share resources. We are the largest group of RP organizers on the net with over 200 between the two groups. RPMO has about 180 by itself w/ 8 in queue to be verified. We are currently doing a recruiting drive as the most recent ~200 organizers have not gotten an invite yet and many who did get one only got one invite so could have easily missed it. (point of advertising - it takes 3-5 impressions to get good saturation and get through to your target audience).

If you're a Meetup organizer, and want to join these groups, you must provide your name, and meetup (Meetup # helps). Your e-mail address is provided by yahoo when you sign up. Additional info like phone # helps.

Other ways to connect with organizers are the 17-18 state/organizer based Meetups (in some cases it's just a POC or web site), Ron Paul Volunteer Network or the Meetup forums - though the focus of the latter 2 are more diffuse. (and here, of course).

As to this project, the concept is good, though I have some trepidation about it. For one, I already have a few organizers and others that routinely send me News articles on a fairly regular basis and some try to post the same on the organizing groups. If it's unmoderated, or at least lacks the potential to moderate individual members then it will turn into another very noisy newsgroup / "spam central". Personally, if I'm after news I go to a site. All that stuff showing up in my inbox is unwelcome and causes me to miss important e-mail.

The digg part is interesting, but only if it's project related. If people start posting news items, you'll be preaching to the choir and distracting from the outreach the diggers do.

Secondly, don't count on doing it once and never again - contacting everyone. Yes, once you have a subscriber you don't have to contact them again, but we are growing at more than 10 new Meetups a day. (OK, only 7 new ones yesterday - but we get upward of 20 a day after a debate) This is an ongoing process. I expect it will level off when we reach 2,800 Meetups - the number of counties in the USA. At current levels of growth, we should have the country covered in 6 months. Meetup 951 was created this morning...

Having a read online only option would be really ideal!

Anyway, if you want to post a text version of the pdf you put up, I'd be glad to post it on 511 and RPMO.

-n

mdh
09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
tangent, ronpaulDUGG is not a news service. It's for getting out the word about proposals, ideas, events, and requests.

There may be a little tinkering required as we grow to set the bars properly in terms of how many DUGGS equals the critical mass required to send out the announcement, and we are actively developing the algorithm to handle this. There will likely be some configurable parameters as well, allowing people to select how much support an idea/proposal/request must have before they get hit with it. In addition to that, there will be seperate categories for submissions, each which target different demographics.

We feel this goes way beyond any existing system in that it is both entirely community driven - no one person or group of people have control over what gets pumped out, and everyone has an equal opportunity to share their posts with the community based on community support for their posting - and that it is not a chatterbox or a general discussion forum of any sort. It is simply for posting ideas, requests, proposals, and the like, and allowing the DUGGing community to decide if your idea is worthy of pushing out to the larger community or not.

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2007, 11:46 AM
OK - the "Meetup leaders will be given the option to bypass the digg structure" part is what was worrying me here. There are some that seem to think forwarding every post they find is their #1 job. Might want to reconsider this.

Also, the person driving this contact project is asking for names and phone numbers - things the pdf says are not needed - just a screen name, e-mail address and password.

but thank you for the clarification. Sounds like an excellent project!

-n

Cowlesy
09-12-2007, 11:48 AM
OK - the "Meetup leaders will be given the option to bypass the digg structure" part is what was worrying me here. There are some that seem to think forwarding every post they find is their #1 job. Might want to reconsider this.

Also, the person driving this contact project is asking for names and phone numbers - things the pdf says are not needed - just a screen name, e-mail address and password.

but thank you for the clarification. Sounds like an excellent project!

-n

Haha - You got to love those people who Reply-All to the Meetup group and say "Yay!" or "Fwd:Fwd:Fwd: Jesus Loves You - Send this or a Pox on your house".

Definitely something to consider.

mdh
09-12-2007, 11:48 AM
OK - the "Meetup leaders will be given the option to bypass the digg structure" part is what was worrying me here. There are some that seem to think forwarding every post they find is their #1 job.

Where did you see that? That was a proposal Randy made, but I disagreed and we have since decided NOT to do anything of that sort. I personally feel that any sort of bypass is a bad idea.

goldenequity
09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Anyway, if you want to post a text version of the pdf you put up, I'd be glad to post it on 511 and RPMO.

Hi Tangent.... Thanks for offering to post.... if a .doc file would suffice as a text file, please use this link
http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/DuggOutline.doc (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/DuggOutline.doc)

If that isn't what you can use... then just let me know how to comply with your post.
Thanks for the offer to post and thanks for your advice as well.

randy
www.ronpaulaudio.com :)

Also..... MY SCREW-UP!!:eek: :eek:

The "Digg" Bypass was a concept that was tossed out as we brainstormed ideas....
I FORGOT TO AMMEND THE .PDF DOCUMENT eliminating the idea...Now DONE:
http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/Dugg Outline.pdf (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/Dugg Outline.pdf)

Rivington Essex
09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Just a quick update, We have mailed about 400 people. And 100 have responded. It is slow going. If anyone can volunteer please help.

mdh
09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually www.ronpauldugg.com has a text version of the info right on it minus the stuff we just talked about..... :)

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
posted to both groups.

-n

goldenequity
09-12-2007, 02:40 PM
We have mailed about 400 people. And 100 have responded. It is slow going. If anyone can volunteer please e-mail me at rivingtonessex@gmail.com

A simple community driven Broadcast Portal means dividends to the grassroots campaign efforts.... thanks Brad for coordinating the email volunteers....
ATTENTION lurkers: ;) please get a hold of Brad rivingtonessex@gmail.com and volunteer some email time. He won't bite!!! Thanks SO much.
randy

And thanks Tangent for posting www.ronpauldugg.com