PDA

View Full Version : increasing the gas tax and other energy topics

smithtg
12-29-2008, 07:07 AM
In the last day or two the MSM propaganda machine has started to push increasing gasoline taxes to pay for Obama's infrastructure plan (well that isnt quite what they say) but you can tell its implied.... I bet I have heard or read 3-5 stories about this - and I think Brokaw pushing this idea on Obama was the tip of the iceberg..

The spin that is used is that "it hasnt been increased since 1993" so "it should be" Im so tired of the gov't seeking new (and old) ways to keep taking my money to keep up with their spending habits. Roads and bridges arent all bad, but find the funding somewhere else! This is market intervention at its best too - as the greenies are getting what they want - another spin used to "promote" this tax is that it will "keep people out of SUVS" - "sort of like a carbon tax". Then some democrat rep I heard interviewed says "well if you have a plug in car, you wont pay this tax"

Or then we hear the Brokaw argument "well taxes are high for gasoline in Europe" blah blah, blah blah. The newspaper had a spin like "SUV sales are up" (bad, bad, bad people spewing all that "harmful" CO2 into the air) God forbid we get a breather in energy costs, lets tax em'!

Im tired of all of it. Let the markets work. Spend within your means. Let people have choices

The second MSM news topic I hear alot of is about "green industries". Of course what is always mentioned (and spun nicely) is that the only way any of these "new" energy sources will come about is by massive government tax breaks, or funding. Most clips I hear or read dont even try to hide the facts that none of them could stand alone and turn a profit. But didnt you know its about Obama's "policy"? You gotta stand up for "whats good"? Whats good is cheap energy that is not dictated and controlled by the government. TBoone couldnt get anyone to subsidize his big wind farm (yet), so he has dropped the idea because well err, its would lose him money! My goodness, natural gas is cheap, how can these new energy sources dare compete??(sarcasm intended)

As the more cynical I get, I realize very quickly that any "tax break" is the government performing market intervention. The sheeple only see the "good" in tax breaks, but when the playing field isnt level, it isnt good. I think all "tax breaks" at the local and state level are a result of some lobbyist and mayor, governor (insert politician role here) in some back room deal.

Enough for a morning rant, just a bit peeved on a Monday morning about the direction of everything and how its such a load of BS

once i got done writing this I did a quick google news search for "gas tax" and guess what ? The NYT editorial was about this very topic last week lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/opinion/27sat1.html