PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality

rational thinker
12-29-2008, 03:04 AM
For it or against it? Why?

I'm personally for it. I know that we shouldn't have government get involved with the Internet, but I see no other solution.

Fox McCloud
12-29-2008, 03:23 AM
we're screwed either way, thanks to government:

http://mises.org/story/2139

TastyWheat
12-29-2008, 04:13 PM
First, I've only heard of maybe one or two cases of "net bias" by ISPs.

Second, the other solution is competition. If your ISP is throttling your torrents then switch to an ISP that doesn't. If you get the government involved in internet regulation you can guarantee subscription costs will significantly increase.

The nature of the beast is, you give them an inch and they take a mile. As soon as you let them regulate one aspect of the internet they'll be finding 100 different ways to regulate it even more. I don't want us to turn into Australia any more than I want us to turn into Nazi Germany.

Fox McCloud
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Second, the other solution is competition. If your ISP is throttling your torrents then switch to an ISP that doesn't. If you get the government involved in internet regulation you can guarantee subscription costs will significantly increase.

the problem here is there is none...but it's not a market failure, it's a government failure---as it stands, each telco pretty much has a monopoly in a specific area (the "right" to build in that area), so typically you'll only see one cableco and one telco for an area, and that's about it (if you're lucky).

If this didn't exist, then there'd be as many cable to telcos as the market would support, for that area, and throttling, net neutrality, etc would be nearly unheard of and a thing of the past....not to mention speeds would likely increase a lot quicker and prices would drop a lot faster.

dannno
12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
First, I've only heard of maybe one or two cases of "net bias" by ISPs.

The nature of the beast is, you give them an inch and they take a mile. As soon as you let them regulate one aspect of the internet they'll be finding 100 different ways to regulate it even more. I don't want us to turn into Australia any more than I want us to turn into Nazi Germany.

Against it because of this. There is no reason for net neutrality, the corporations will not be able to take over the internet without the help of the government.

Paulitician
12-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Either the government takes control of it, or business gets control of it with the help of government (which is very easy to do even now without government doing much of anything). I agree with McCloud here, we're screwed either way. We might be screwed by one more than the other--that's the difficult part to figure out. But anyway, I'm for the internet being completely open.

Kludge
12-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Net Neutrality is just more regulatory garbage. Corporatism sucks. Hopefully we can get the government to loosen its grip on the telco industry and let some competition in.

Fox McCloud
12-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I agree with McCloud here, we're screwed either way.

fundamentally though, we're screwed both ways because of the government, and not the market-place.

Zolah
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
fundamentally though, we're screwed both ways because of the government, and not the market-place.

Yes I quite agree, you've actually reminded me of a cute slogan too...

http://site.despair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/governmentdemotivator.jpg

Strangely that picture was blocked by google safe search :confused:

Kludge
12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes I quite agree, you've actually reminded me of a cute slogan too...

http://site.despair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/governmentdemotivator.jpg

Strangely that picture was blocked by google safe search :confused:

:D That reminds me. I get to look forward to my order from Despair (including that image on a calendar) tomorrow.

Tatsit
12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
none to worry... hackers and network admins are always a step ahead of the government - a black market ISP will come around on a different network... the avg joe might not know how to get it but many will...

also - when gov regulations kick in someone will use new tech that is not regulated and the net will be back... but again the avg might not be able to get it, or at least they might till the gov steps in and regulates it too..

The internet is a form of freedom of speech - to regulate it and force the neutrality on us is same as free speech zones!

heavenlyboy34
12-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Net Neutrality is just more regulatory garbage. Corporatism sucks. Hopefully we can get the government to loosen its grip on the telco industry and let some competition in.

qft!

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-30-2008, 06:31 AM
nt