PDA

View Full Version : uPhre.com - An independent news blog & media outlet for the freedom movement

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Check out this: http://uPhre.com

Some months ago I was in talks with an investor to bring this wonderful resource to light. It didn't pan out. I am ready to just walk away from this, but I have spent months developing it, and my entire life has been in web development and marketing and have won numerous awards for such, so I bring a lifetime of experience to the table.

I feel the movement really needs an independent news blog that doesn't have all the whacky articles, ads, and fear mongering like InfoWars, and lives up to a very high standard of journalistic excellence, WHILE BEING AIMED AT 13-35 year olds. Hence the site's funky design (which can be changed). People are moving from the TV to the net for their info, and we need a rock-solid media outlet we can point people to without them thinking that the site is run by a bunch of conspiracy nutcases.

I have firm commitments from 2 of the biggest names in the movement, one being a financial guru we see nearly daily on TV now, and the other an amazing historian, both of whom you all know and love, to create a weekly podcast. I have firm commitments from others that will be regular guests as well. I am very professional in my work and can attract the biggest names out there. We will have big names writing for uPhre, and smaller names with something important to say. I will be asking many of these big names to write a short blog each week for the site. We will link all the relevant articles, but we'll have a lot of original content too.

The site has features no other site has, and it would quickly become the de facto media outlet for everything to do with the breakdown of our nation.

uPhre is ready to roll, but it requires me quitting all my other work, so I need at least a few months funding to cover at the very least, my liabilities, which is not a lot, but is an absolute necessity. This is why I am now showing this to everyone now. I am ready to move on and just forget this, but, I would rather get it launched. As I see it, there's only 2 ways we can do that. We can start a chipin and see if there's support on these boards to raise enough per month until the advertising revenue kicks in. Past experience says this is unlikely. Or find one or several investors willing to commit a larger amount each month.

How much do I need? My liabilities are about $2500 a month. It's not a lot, but I have to drop everything else in order to do this. Running a site like this with all these great features that would make it a success would take me 60 hours a week minimum.

I'm not pleading for money, I'm just showing you my hand and seeing what the result is. If we could raise $2500 a month, I could kick this off and provide something of real value to the community. If not, that's fine too.

Remembering what Hamer recently said...

The reason this movement is going nowhere is because most people would rather argue and fight amongst ourselves on the things we disagree with each other on instead of focusing on the things we do agree on and actually get the job done and worry about the rest later.

...I'm open to your feedback...

RPV

Sandra
12-28-2008, 06:29 PM
We're in a recession going to depression. Do not quit your job for this. Wonderful effort! Just don't fall on this for financial support, we may not even have electricity in some of the US in a few months.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
We're in a recession going to depression.

Yep, which is why we need this NOW. On the other side, when people have $$ again, they will no longer be willing to be educated. We must strike during the crises, not wait for it to be over.

Knightskye
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
How do you pronounce uphre?

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
How do you pronounce uphre?

You. Free.

Knightskye
12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
You. Free.

Ah.

I was saying "yoofer."

Yours... actually makes sense. :)

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Ah.

I was saying "yoofer."

Yours... actually makes sense. :)

Yeah, I have actually done extensive user testing of the site and the name. Not sure of your age, but all young people got it that we tested. They were shown a flash card with the name and asked to pronounce the word without being given any context or prior awareness of the site. The number of "that's cool!" responses told us that we had a winner.

Sandra
12-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Seriously, don't leave your job. Just save up as much as you can. A depression is coming and nothing can stop it now.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Seriously, don't leave your job. Just save up as much as you can. A depression is coming and nothing can stop it now.

Seriously, I'm quite well aware of that :) Would be a bit dumb of me trying to run a site like this if I didn't yeah?

A patriot must take risks...

tangent4ronpaul
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Looking at your site what I see is an absence of ads. Content looks pretty good! but what I think a potential advertiser wants to see is others that believe enough in your site to advertise there.

I also see a news source - but it's half the overall equation. What's not there is what to do about it.

So an idea - how about picking your advertisers initially? The survival market is booming right now and interest in investments like gold and silver are high. Maybe contact some of these places and say: "we'll give you a free banner ad for 3 months and if the click throughs are worth it, you pay us X amount a month after that to keep it. In addition, we'd ideally like a reciprocal banner ad or listing if you have a link page and maybe you could write an article or three for us?"

For the teenage and college age markets, as well as the top third of your demographic - potential new parents - how about some articles on "different" colleges and homeschooling - things like that.

What I'm thinking here is to make the site more than simply informative but truly useful - to point to and teach concrete things people can do to better weather these dismal times. maybe throw things in there on legal self defense or cutting down on energy costs - really good short tutorials.

You could keep the longer format news items pre-click, and try to intersperse shorter format (amount you get to read - prior to the click) ideally mated to specific articles - so the HowTo is related to the news. Keep a stockpile of the practical articles stockpiled to slip in after the more time sensitive news stuff.

Doing this initially would also establish what kind of advertisers, and to an extent readers you are trying to attract.

anyway, just a thought.

-t

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Looking at your site what I see is an absence of ads. Content looks pretty good! but what I think a potential advertiser wants to see is others that believe enough in your site to advertise there.

I also see a news source - but it's half the overall equation. What's not there is what to do about it.

So an idea - how about picking your advertisers initially? The survival market is booming right now and interest in investments like gold and silver are high. Maybe contact some of these places and say: "we'll give you a free banner ad for 3 months and if the click throughs are worth it, you pay us X amount a month after that to keep it. In addition, we'd ideally like a reciprocal banner ad or listing if you have a link page and maybe you could write an article or three for us?"

For the teenage and college age markets, as well as the top third of your demographic - potential new parents - how about some articles on "different" colleges and homeschooling - things like that.

What I'm thinking here is to make the site more than simply informative but truly useful - to point to and teach concrete things people can do to better weather these dismal times. maybe throw things in there on legal self defense or cutting down on energy costs - really good short tutorials.

You could keep the longer format news items pre-click, and try to intersperse shorter format (amount you get to read - prior to the click) ideally mated to specific articles - so the HowTo is related to the news. Keep a stockpile of the practical articles stockpiled to slip in after the more time sensitive news stuff.

Doing this initially would also establish what kind of advertisers, and to an extent readers you are trying to attract.

anyway, just a thought.

-t

Thank you. That's all terrific advice. I will be able to do all that, much it planned already, when I have the funds to actually work on it full-time. Like it or not, I have the skills, but not the money to do this. If I had the money to offer 3 months of free advertising, I would have started already.

tangent4ronpaul
12-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Thank you. That's all terrific advice. I will be able to do all that, much it planned already, when I have the funds to actually work on it full-time. Like it or not, I have the skills, but not the money to do this. If I had the money to offer 3 months of free advertising, I would have started already.

well, I'd say stagger the offers - maybe mix um up a bit - months 1, 2 and 3 to one, and 1, 3, 5 to another and 2, 4, and 6. or offer say 6 ads the first month, 6 more the second and 6 more the 3rd. It's not like you don't have the space.

But the point is, give a few away for free initially - it's not costing you anything but a bit of time (and a tiny bit of bandwidth) to put up their pre-made banner ad - if they don't have one, that's a way for you to make money. If you have SOME advertisers on the site it will be a lot easier to get others that will pay upfront, and some that get the free space will stay around or pay for fill in months. Ever seen a street artist set up? - they ALWAYS seed that hat with a few bucks! - it makes people think there is something worth paying for here and pitch in. If they see an empty hat - they think twice.

You've got an empty hat.

Also, I don't think I saw a link on your site that said: Want to advertise here? - could be wrong, but the absence of that and any ads leaves the impression that you are not accepting advertisers.

And yes - general business model with banner ads is per-click but it varies.

-t

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
well, I'd say stagger the offers - maybe mix um up a bit - months 1, 2 and 3 to one, and 1, 3, 5 to another and 2, 4, and 6. or offer say 6 ads the first month, 6 more the second and 6 more the 3rd. It's not like you don't have the space.

But the point is, give a few away for free initially - it's not costing you anything but a bit of time (and a tiny bit of bandwidth) to put up their pre-made banner ad - if they don't have one, that's a way for you to make money. If you have SOME advertisers on the site it will be a lot easier to get others that will pay upfront, and some that get the free space will stay around or pay for fill in months. Ever seen a street artist set up? - they ALWAYS seed that hat with a few bucks! - it makes people think there is something worth paying for here and pitch in. If they see an empty hat - they think twice.

You've got an empty hat.

Also, I don't think I saw a link on your site that said: Want to advertise here? - could be wrong, but the absence of that and any ads leaves the impression that you are not accepting advertisers.

And yes - general business model with banner ads is per-click but it varies.

-t

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I can't do anything until its funded. And that's ok if it's not. But I laugh when you say "It's not costing you anything but a bit of time". You're joking right? I would take an initial 80 hours per week to get this off the ground.

tangent4ronpaul
12-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I am not trying to be argumentative, but I can't do anything until it's funded. And that's ok if it's not. But I laugh when you say "It's not costing you anything but a bit of time". You're joking right? I would take an initial 80 hours per week to get this off the ground.

OK - sorry - it looked to me like it was off the ground.

-t

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2008, 06:52 PM
OK - sorry - it looked to me like it was off the ground.

-t

Well I am glad you think so :) but to launch it would take 3 days without sleep. It's got to be timely.

speciallyblend
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
will be waiting for you to give me some free advertising soon ok, www.coloradomountainmedia.com and www.leadvillelifestyle.com , we will be launching these services in a few weeks and im willing to exchange advertising on my sites for you as well. I will be advertising in the summit/lake/eagle county papers soon, then will be expanding to front range areas eventually. of course i will call you soon on this:) sounds like a great idea and i would be willing to help you in other ways as well:0 peace kenny

emazur
12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Well first off I want to say I'm glad to see you are taking this so seriously.

About Infowars, I can agree with you on the wacky ads, and I suppose I've been desensitized to the fear mongering but I see what you mean. Do you really think the articles are wacky and lacking journalistic excellence? I usually only click one or two articles a day but the ones I've read have always seemed very professional and cite credible sources. I think your goal is very similar to that of BreaktheMatrix.com
They have a professional operation going on over there, for example they gave 90 minute live interviews (with user participation) with Peter Schiff and Wayne and Allyn Root - NOBODY else can claim that. I just think they need to change their front page to something more like a newsblog (it's rather limited as it is) in order to attract users every day, and that's where you could come in. Maybe you should contact them and see what they say.

Doing the chipin I think would not be very successful. Freeandequal.org, who hosted the 3rd party presidential and vice presidential debates (a VERY impressive feat), did not get much funding. But fortunately they have not given up and their page says they will begin a campaign next month to challenge ballot access laws.

Knightskye
12-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I have actually done extensive user testing of the site and the name. Not sure of your age, but all young people got it that we tested. They were shown a flash card with the name and asked to pronounce the word without being given any context or prior awareness of the site. The number of "that's cool!" responses told us that we had a winner.

Glad you did tests.

It just doesn't look like "you free" to me, but the site looks very nice and I hope it does well. ;)

tangent4ronpaul
12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Well I am glad you think so :) but to launch it would take 3 days without sleep. It's got to be timely.

methinks you are making excuses to hold off for what you really want - vs using what you have now and punting - but that is just me.

Just do it! - you have a viable site. But if you want to let it die in the hopes of a 3 month free ride - well - it's your site. Kind of a bummer - you could make it fly - NOW! - but it's up to you....

-t

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
methinks you are making excuses to hold off for what you really want - vs using what you have now and punting - but that is just me.

Just do it! - you have a viable site. But if you want to let it die in the hopes of a 3 month free ride - well - it's your site. Kind of a bummer - you could make it fly - NOW! - but it's up to you....

-t

Excuse me, but I have been around these parts and been involved in big ways publicly in the movement long enough to not have to prove myself to you ok. And I don't tell lies. If it was up to me it would be live already.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
bumpz

RonPaulVolunteer
01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Someone here must be passionate about freedom and believe this site is a good investment into rebuilding this nation.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Bump for those that have not seen this...

RonPaulVolunteer
01-17-2009, 01:08 PM
last bump...

Come on freedom-loving investor, I know you're out there...

RonPaulVolunteer
03-22-2009, 11:06 PM
bump for old time's sake...

Maybe we have some new blood around here now...

Dripping Rain
03-23-2009, 04:54 AM
i see youre bumping this. but this website hasnt been updated in ages?

Roxi
03-23-2009, 05:44 AM
honestly good work! thanks for working so hard on a project for the movement! perhaps you could create an action plan for releasing and promoting the site? maybe get volunteer sign ups to help ad content?

maybe you could add RSS feeds for current liberty minded news sources?

but I emplore:

why doesn't someone just take over VOTEMOTION?????????????????????????????????

RonPaulVolunteer
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
i see youre bumping this. but this website hasnt been updated in ages?

It has never BEEN updated, it's a functioning and ready proof of concept. It's waiting for someone to "employ" me to do it.

Dripping Rain
03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
It has never BEEN updated, it's a functioning and ready proof of concept. It's waiting for someone to "employ" me to do it.

cool. well i forgot to say its very beautiful. i like the design colors and concept. the names also meaningful. if i wasnt a poor student id gladlypay for it. hopefully you can turn it into a giant media outlet before 2012